Standard Rating System??

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Standard Rating System??
By Magnusra on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I apologize yet again Kallisti. I shall try to be more observant when I post:)

By Admin on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 12:48 am: Edit

Ha!

I'd looked into changing my name to Kallista at one point, since I've been using the pseudonym since high school. But then my name would be Kallista Prince, which looks very pretentious on paper ... and then of course the whole flockheart thing. Thank GAWD she uses a 'C'.

Still might do it someday ... along with that tatoo I've been meaning to get for 10 years.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 07:34 pm: Edit

And stop calling her "Kallista." This isn't Absinthey McBeal.

BC

By Magnusra on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

I apologize for the way I might have come across. If anything I had more of a companion in mind than an alternative. I certainly do not wish to degrade Kallista or her site in any way. I think wolfgang put it best "..just overly enthusiastic.." I am just anxious to find a topic for a new website and since absinthe has consumed most of my waking thoughts (And sleeping for that matter), it was logical. Anyway scratch that idea I'll stick to philosophical sites and leave the absinthe to Kallista :) But if anybody has any other ideas for a cool website please let me know.

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:53 am: Edit

Wolfgang, when you see this system, you will have a very good idea of what flavors and textures to expect in each and every product. As far as the rating system, you'll find it to be far more informative and structured than that of Wine Spectator. No comparison there.

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

Good question Tim. My 100 point rating system is quite objective, and is based upon quality benchmarks and standards. I think you will find it to be most interesting, thorough, and fair. As a result, it gives no favoritism toward any particular product, ours notwithstanding. It will also present certain subjective information in an innovative, graphic fashion. This system is being submitted for review by several key persons prior to be publicized, and it will represent a consensus of educated opinions.

Regarding how our products fall in the rating system, they range in the 80s and 90s.

As far as how and when this system will be presented, you'll just have to wait and see. It will be done in such a manner that will actually bolster the credibility and activity on this website, and Kallisti will be well aware of events (and have a hand in them) before they happen.

By Wolfgang on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:35 am: Edit

I must also add that a rating system made specifically for absinthe should also rate the level of some dominant tastes because there is different type of absinthe made for different tastes. I would personally indicate the 'Jellybean' level, the sugar level, the bitter/herbal level and maybe also the quality of the louche. To my own taste, I know now that I would look for absinthe with low anise, low sugar, middle to high bitter/herbal flavor and louche level.
Maybe it would also be interesting to rate, not the 'effect' but the 'hangover' level or the quality of the overall feeling (as in the number of coffee you need on the next morning vs the fun you had drinking the stuff ;-)...)

Wolf-back to his normal analytic self.

By Wolfgang on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Well, I agree with you Artemis, there is no point in spreading the info everywhere but I don`t think magnusra was planing a take over ;-). He`s probably just overly enthusiastic by his new discovery of the green drink (as I am).

Nor for the rating system, I personally don`t like the 100 pts scale used by WineSpectator. How can you really see a difference between a 85% and a 86% rating ? I personally have a small wine tasting web site and I use a 5 stars system (sometime I use 1/2 star). I think it is sufficient to give a good general idea of the quality of the drink. For more info, noting beats the good old textual description.

My rating is that simple :

* : deceiving but drinkable
** : good but no more
*** : very good quality product
**** : exceptional! A great experience.
***** : ''Sorry God, I just stole a sip of your angels drink...(Baa, I`m not really sorry... :-) ).''

my cents...

Wolf.

By Timk on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:18 am: Edit

out of interest, ted where does your product(s) lie on the 100 point scale? : - )

By Artemis on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

"Possibly a new absinthe guide website?"

What's wrong with the one we have? Kallisti is the single person on the face of the planet most responsible for the access almost everyone has, to almost everything absinthe-related, and we should reward her by helping someone else to create a "new absinthe guide website"? I'm stunned that such a suggestion would even be made on *KALLISTI'S* bulletin board.

I'm as interested in Ted's system as anybody, maybe more so, but the place to use it is here on Kallisti's site.

By Magnusra on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 08:50 am: Edit

I am anxious to see this system. I must say you are very thorough there Ted. I am interested in seeing this. Also another suggestion possibly a 5 or 10 star system, to compliment your system. Basically we could do your system, and above this or below just a star rating. We could allow anyone to submit a star rating, and have the shown rating be the average of these. This way we could cover both an expert rating and a common consumer rating. Just a suggestion. Possibly a new absinthe guide website? I am a web developer and I do need another site to work on for my portfolio. If anyone is interested please contact me. My email is wlaul@bellatlantic.net.

-Wayne

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

My rating system covers your concerns and is remarkably objective. It would be useless otherwise. I also have a system which allows one to get an idea of the flavor of one product in comparison to others without having to taste them. You will see them both fairly soon. A brief description should always be included in any review.

By Petermarc on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

the problem with point-rating is that if someone likes something that is low-rated, he feels as if he has poor or 'un/under-developed' tastes...this is very prevalent (100-point system) in wine-tasting and seems to be used primarily for marketing purposes, effectively killing the sales of other wines that are just as good or better than those that have a lower rating(if a wine is just drinkable it already has 50 points, what the hell is that?is hill's 50 points?)...i have been involved with wine-tastings that published highly regarded results and i was astonished at how little most of the people knew about wine, but what they were saying about it was honest...after listening to the unending list of adjectives that can be thrown about descibing tastes and smells,i find a simple 'gak' or 'yum'
to be more enlightening...that said,i would prefer factual details plus short 'impressions' about the taste and experience like the example royal has given...it was, historically, a drink that inspired impressionists, n'est pas?

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 06:39 am: Edit

Actually Mr. Royale, Deva 70% scores 70-ish on the 100 point scale. I have a very objective rating system already perfected. I'm sure you'll agree that it is very comprehensive. I also have a flavor chart in the works. You will see both (and the results thereof) soon enough.

By Heiko on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 04:18 am: Edit

I guess it wouldn't be easy to rate the Absinthes on a scale. F.e. I would have to set Deva to 100 (I have no better reference point yet), while Ted would maybe set Deva to 30, because his 100 would be E.Pernod...

But I like the idea that everyone gives very short impressions on a certain product (in addition to a detailed description). Something like "say in two or three sentences what you like about it and what not". If everyone takes part, this would certainly be a good list of short statements which would help someone who hasn't tried the product more than two or three very long and detailed descriptions - these can (in my opinion) only be really understood if one has already tried it.

By Royale on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 02:38 am: Edit

It has been a point of frustration in the past as I peruse the reviews posted on the forum that there is no common way to rate the absinthes that are tasted. It is hard to truly understand a review if you haven't tasted the products that the author chooses to use as comparisons or if you are lost in personal interpretations of words i.e.: sweet/ sour/ tart/ dry etc. I propose that we collectively agree upon a rating system for future reviews. Maybe a system similar to zagat that rates a few characteristics, important details and lists price actually paid. The reviewer should rate the product's taste and the overall experience on a scale from 1-50 or 1-100 or whatever. Obviously these will still be purely opinions but we will over time be able to see whose taste buds are similar to our own and more effectively judge which products we choose to purchase. I am by no means suggesting this formula replace the descriptive paragraphs but simply by stating the facts up front we will be able to share a common frame of reference.

Details I consider important (country of origin-taste rating/% of alcohol/ml in bottle/price actually paid in $US)

EXAMPLE: Ted's recent review of Absinto Camargo would look similar to this (please note the rating below is purely arbitrary and I claim in no way to know what Ted would rate this drink on any scale)

Absinto Camargo - Brazil-44/54%/700mL/$90

Distributed by Uniland Export. The transaction was made via bank transfer, The bottle was packaged well and arrived via EMS.

The liqueur is medium green color with just the slightest olive tint. There is some herbal sediment present. It is artificially colored as indicated on the back label. The bottle is clear glass. The front label shows impressionist-like artwork (a woman holding a cat).

The rear label says, "Absinto Camargo is prepared through the distillation and treatment of Artemisia absinthium alcoholic elixir, Artemisia pontica, star aniseed, Etc, etc, etc, etc.

I am interested to get other opinions on this and if the response is positive we should try to decide what factors should be rated and on what kind of a scale.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation