Chrysippvs Absinth Tabu Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Chrysippvs Absinth Tabu Review
By Artemis on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

The bar at which the New Orleans absinthe gathering took place sells more Absente than any other in the world, if my fuzzy memory of conversations with the proprietor serves me correctly. Mr. Roux himself visited the place to offer congratulations, so I heard. Too bad Ted wasn't there to give him the cure.

By Mr_Rabbit on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 06:18 am: Edit

No doubt. I saw a machine with about eight bottles of Jager sticking out of it. Turns out, they don't make kegs of Jager, but they do enough volume they don't want to have to keep opening new bottles.

They have Jager ON TAP. Dear god.

By Wormwood on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 04:21 am: Edit

A Jagermeister distributer once asked me to guess where the highest per capita consumption of Jagermeister was. I guessed Munich probably because they have the Octoberfest there, and Jagermeister is a German Liquor.

Wrong, Its New Orleans in the USA, they really drink alot of that stuff down there.

By Tlautrec on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 12:11 am: Edit

I, too, received a bottle of Tabu from Markus - only DM 70 ($35 or so), including shipping to the US (by slow boat, of course). I agree with Chrysippvs' comments on the general characteristics and taste of the product, and would only add that I find Tabu to be nicely bitter but still sweet enough to be drunk without added sugar, although the flavor of star anise is more prominent (indeed, dominating) than it needs to be.

I do, however, have the following additional observation. Tabu is absinthe, as opposed to some faux Absente-type product masquerading as absinthe, but it is definitely weak in the "effects" department. Maybe I'm more sensitive than some - three drinks typically has me staring at the wallpaper - but three drinks of Tabu seemed to produce effects more like one or one-and-a-half drinks of MM or Deva. My reaction in this regard was confirmed by an e-mail from a reliable source, who informed me that a recent chemical analysis of Tabu showed that it has a very low thujone content (I know, I know, thujone and "effects" don't necessarily have anything to do with each other, but still...)

Another review of Tabu I read somewhere said that it was likely to have a broad mass-market appeal (in Germany, presumably). Both the freaky label and the easy-to-drink character of the product should contribute to its popularity, and its relative mildness will appeal to those who want to be a little, but not too, daring. After all, folks who regularly swig stuff like Jägermeister should find the bitter-sweet and spicy, but not so complex, taste of something like Tabu to be appealing and not unfamiliar

By Chrysippvs on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Absinth Tabu - Germany - 55% - 700ml

Really Ugly label, black with the face of some type of hobgoblin or something on it. Back label just talks about how it is a quality product and doesn't exceed German Thujone levels. This sample was graciously given to me by Markus of www.lafeeverte.de.

Out of the bottle it have the familiar fragrance of Star Anise, although not quite so monochromatic as Mari Mayans, and not so pungent as Deva. It is a pleasant green color, a bit on the electric side but nice nonetheless. Certainly artificial.

This absinthe has a nice louche, much like that of Deva. The flavor is predominately star anise with a somewhat dry background flavor, equally complex as Deva, although a bit less pungent.

This product is nearly identical to many Spanish products, I would say a little bit better, maybe along the line with la fee. To my suprise it fairs well with other good commercial products, better than the Spanish but not as good as a quality la bleue.

All you German absintheurs may want to check this one out, the bottle looks butt ugly but it is a plesant alternative to Deva.

Sorry for no pics, my camera is not around so you will have to use your imagination for now!

- J

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation