How Funny Is This!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:How Funny Is This!
By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tip Melinelly... think I'll hold off until that order I placed once upon a time gets here... (sigh)

By Artemis on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

"I pour water until the hydrophobic layer of essences that floats at the top just disappears."

Originally my post about the glasses provided by the cafe included the words "Ted poured into them by the seat of his pants", but I edited those words out, not confident they were true. Now the truth comes out.

Never presume to know the wizard unless you've peeked behind the curtain!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

an alc-chemist...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

spoken like a true chemist!

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 09:06 am: Edit

I pour water until the hydrophobic layer of essences that floats at the top just disappears.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 08:53 am: Edit

btw, if anyone was interested in those Spirits Corner glasses, someone has a pair for sale on eBay along with repro spoons. openning bid is like $15 which ain't bad considering you don't have to deal with shipping from spain heh. as long as it doesn't go much higher, you might want to consider it if you're not planning a trip to the Corner anytime soon. can't remember what the auction is called, something like "two modern absinthe glasses, spoons" or such.

By Artemis on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 07:04 am: Edit

"i believe for most examples, the dose mark was more for judging the profits of the bistro,rather than being an accurate guide to the perfect drink..."

I'm utterly confident that's the truth.

I no longer give a damn about measuring, antique glasses, etc. (never did care too much about them). I pour until it feels right and pour water until the mixture seems to be a good density. The glass I (and many others, judging from the pictures) used at The Green Hour 2001 was a simple glass furnished by the bar.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 06:56 am: Edit

1 Oz US = 29.57 ml.

Personally I use a 1 oz measure of absinthe and add about 4 oz of water. The best thing to do is to measure it one time and check where it goes on your glass, then next time you don't need to use a measure again.

By Aion on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 03:36 am: Edit

Funny that there wasn´t a second mark in the glasses that showed how much water had to be added.
Using an East glass with very wide aperture this
is quite a problem as the conical shape causes
a non linear progression of mix ratio the nearer you get to the rim of the glass.

A.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 03:35 am: Edit

as much as i would like to be true to the dose mark, the amount that i pour never corresponds to the mark no matter how i look at it, except for my mega-dose pontarlier, which must be at least two ounces...the glasses are just too big unless you are getting the 68-72° stuff... with this, it is possible to pour water a couple of times and test the drink at different strengths...i believe for most examples, the dose mark was more for judging the profits of the bistro,rather than being an accurate guide to the perfect drink...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 02:55 am: Edit

I think that the problem with the old etched line glasses was that they didn't take into account the uneven thickness of the glass towards the stem. I found that an old chope yvonne that I used for the first time last weekend only had a measured dose of 1/2 ounce - I haven't used it again although I am happy to serve other people with it ;-)

Even reservoir glasses have widely different doses, and has been observed on the forum before, the amount you por will depend on whether you view the dose from the top or the side of the glass.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:35 am: Edit

the doses vary like crazy on the old glasses, but a standard dose seems pretty close to a 'shot'...1 to 1 1/2 ounces...there are also glasses which look like they have a dose, but do not or are about 1 cl...these glasses have been called 'verre de patron' the boss's glass or 'verre de voleur'-- thief's glass---depending on who was being served with it...

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:25 am: Edit

BTW, do you have a standard dosage for Absinthe? I mean when we speak of "one Absinthe" this could mean about anything. I know there are marks on the antique glasses, but do these marks stand for the same amount, or does that differ from glass to glass?
I usually take something in between 0,03l and 0,04l (well, this is metric ... and I don't know at all how much a fluid ounze is in litres, sorry...)

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 05:53 pm: Edit

aye considering that even if you mix five parts water to one absinthe, you've still got a drink stronger than wine and in larger portions hehe

By Marcellin on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Hey Melinelly, I always thought that the water we mixed with absinthe was water enough. But probably not huh?

p.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Moral of the story is: drink it sensibly, not to insensibility. That's good advice for any liquor and any drinker.

By Heiko on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 03:10 pm: Edit

"You don't feel it coming and then Bang! all the alcohol jump at your face."

-When you feel the alcohol, have another Absinthe and you're in control again (at least you think so...) ;-)

This really works up to a certain level - even if you're drunk only from beer and you wish to be a little more clearheaded, an Absinthe is the best choice (not for your liver, but for the moment...)

Certainly at some point of drunkenness nothing will help anymore, but who wants to reach this point?

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

generally, absinthe seems to have a calmer waking than other alcoholic drinks... however, given enough, the alcohol will eventually have its usual aching way with ya (took over 11 to give me only my third hangover in several years). but just as the absinthe drunk seems to be a cognizant drunk, the next day is usually a breeze as well... like all drinks, just know your limits, and drink water occasionally if you're on a binge =) that was my mistake of the evening, i only had one glass of water just before we left the cafe (after what, like eight hours of drinking? heh)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 08:37 am: Edit

Yep. This is a sneaky drink... You don't feel it coming and then Bang! all the alcohol jump at your face.

And then you sleep... I haven't got such a sleep in years (after 3-4 oz of Deva 70). And best of all, the hangover is really not that bad, I just feel smooth and extremely relaxed (with just a hint of headache that disappear after a glass of water). I tested it twice with same effect.Is it particular to the Deva or did someone feel that with other brands ?

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

"Shit, I can't remember. (Cackling madly.)"

You laugh. I see a picture of Morrigan and me in conversation. I have to write to her to ask what the hell we were talking about. I was at a party for roughly nine hours and remember about 30 scattered minutes of it.

I ask Kallisti, "Did I have fun"? "Did I slobber"? She laughs at me.

I ask Ted, "Did I make a pig of myself"? In evil scientist man fashion, Ted confesses I was only a guinea pig after all. "Some of you drank nearly twice as much as I ever have at one sitting", says he.

A few weeks ago I was smug about "out of body" experiences. "I never drink that much", I said. I now know what it feels like.

"Do you know where you're going"? Ted's parting words to me after I helped him load his gear into his car, around four in the morning of March 4th.
"Yes", I said confidently, before stepping off in entirely the wrong direction, taking me about a mile out of my way. Along the way, for some unfathomed reason, my feet went out from under me and BOOM! Flat on my ass along Canal St. Fortunately for me, the three teenage boys who witnessed the event were intent on helping me and not robbing me.

"Are you okay, man?"

"Just drunk. Thank you for your attention".

Through it all, a deceptive clarity, an assumed (perhaps to a dangerous degree) functionality. I'm glad I didn't have a car; I might have thought I was capable of driving it.

"Just think about when people used to do that all the time", Ted said later.

It's kind of frightening.

With a new respect for the fairy ....

Artemis

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 01:54 am: Edit

Wow. Now I know why I forgot to keep my dental appointment, or was it my hair weave? Shit, I can't remember. (Cackling madly.)

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Hmmmm...what is this thing he calls "Absynth"???? Sounds just dreadful. I'll stay away from it and keep on enjoying my absInthE, thankyou.

- M

By Fight4urmind on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 12:59 pm: Edit

"Um...as 'romantic' as Absynth is made to sound in good literature, dont do it man..It rots the teeth, causes hair loss, and memory loss, and after long term use, madness..Van Gogh died of Abysinth poisioning...he went mad first..and had to be committed...its just not cool. Also, a lot of people SAY they have real Absynth, but it is a cheap imitation...Buyer beware."

I found this on the web, obviously added by an ignorant fool.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation