First Taste...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:First Taste...
By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

That is a tough question to answer. If there is any single product to taste, I'd say Deva for no other reason that it is seemingly the most widely known among persons who take absinthe half-seriously or better. This being the case, many compare and contrast other products against Deva, so when someone throws out an adjective with respect to Deva, at least you will be able to imagine what they are tasting.

By Netsurfer on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Kind sirs, please excuse my unintentional slight of the Green Goddess - I assure you I hold the highest respect (and anticipation) of initiation into the mysteries of Absinthe. In fact that is why I am not just grabbing the old credit card and ordering the first bottle I find online - I want my first time to be the best experience I can have given current limitations (I couldn't quite afford $3000 for a bottle of Absinthe circa BE.)

Ted, since your current masterpiece is not available as of yet (and if it is please email me at netsurf@sersol.com) what would you recommend as my initiation drink?

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

I didn't mean to include Ted's absinthe blanche in my general statement. It's in a class by itself. Very little that I've had can touch it, green, clear, or otherwise. I would be very happy to drink nothing else.

See the continuing saga of a white zombie in the French Quarter. I'll get to Ted's clear absinthe in a chapter or two.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
Let me assure you: no disrespect was intended in the comparison analogy. Ted and Don have produced some damn-fine products!

The comparison of JL's Edouard to Coca-Cola seems to fit for it's universal likability, and well paired flavors, among other reasons. The comparison of La Bleue to Gatorade seems appropriate for it's modern affiliations as well as it's distinct difference from (the tradition of) colas.

Ted, I can't wait to taste your Berger clone!!!

Jim

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

That stuff was amazing. It still had a bitterness to it after over 85 years. And people say this stuff changes over age, that flavor was not dulled when it hit my palate....

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 11:22 am: Edit

It seems ironical that the Swiss La Bleues I've had are almost certainly products of modern times, and seem to bear a limited resemblance to the old clear Swiss absinthes. The better of these La Bleues are nice quality products, but definitely have more in common with modern liqueurs d'anise.

Being a stickler for absinthe of days past, I've more or less recreated the contents of an old bottle of Swiss Berger 68 degree absinthe I have, which is a bit of a departure from the norm. We may release this through certain channels at some point. Artemis actually had a few glasses of a 'rough draft' version of it the night before the party.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 10:47 am: Edit

Well I`m sure Ted will prefer a comparaison like Château Latour and Opus one ...Two exceptional wine but different style and provenance... more classy than coke and gatorade ;-)

Wolf.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

I think some La Bleues tastes weak and diluted, very one dimensional and lacking "roundness" in the mouth.

The best are like an oral epiphany. If you've ever savored black truffles on scrambled eggs, or read Marc's thread on religion, you know what I mean!!! There is a satisfaction in the mouth that is closest to the satisfaction one feels from very good sex. They can be complex and yet pure and clean... though never simple.

A good La Bleue is worth the cost.

The new releases from Ted and Don will whup just about everything out there... except for some very good La Bleues. I don't think they can effectively be compared. It's like comparing Coke to Gatorade. But they are *VERY* good!!!

In the end, it only matters what you like.

Just my $.02,
Jim

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 10:19 am: Edit

Ewwww...did I cringe when I saw the reference below to our beloved absinthe as "A". Rings too much of the rave kids dubbing ecstacy "E". Let's please not degrade our green goddess to a vowel.

Thanks,
- Morrigan

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

"Original Pernods" is not a choice but a fantasy for the vast majority of people. Forget about it.

Swiss La Bleue is no better than absinthe blanche made (providing it's well made) anywhere else in the world.

No La Bleue is better than La Fee.

By Netsurfer on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 07:44 am: Edit

I'm looking to try my first taste of A on my birthday and am willing to pay the extra $$ for the Le Bleue. Other than the original Pernods, is the Swiss Le Bleue the best choice that is available today for someone in the US?

Thanks!

By Rupert1029 on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 05:28 am: Edit

Morriganlefey, No flogging from me on Bourbon vs Rye in a Sazerac, particularly with Peychaud. Peychaud Bitters do something extraordinary to Bourbon.....especially when mixed with Absinthe. Really not a fan of Sebor at all...but it really makes a great Sazerac. For that I am thankful, otherwise it would sit lonely and unused at my house.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Tsk, tsk.

One is not "de-virginized", unless one was somehow "virginized", i.e., made virgin from a state of non-virginity. If you know how to do that, there's probably money in it.

One is DEFLOWERED.

Yours,

The Armed Grammarian

P.S. I've not tried the 70%, but I find that Deva has a rather strong element of fennel along with the anise -- that's about all you can taste, though, except I thought I smelled a bit of coriander. It's been debated whether or not the absinthium can be smelled or tasted in Deva -- I think it's there but it's pretty well masked.

By Rupert1029 on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Fight4urmind, if you think Deva has a licorice explosion, just wait for the unscrewing of the Mari Mayans. I'm not making fun of it, I like it as a dessert drink, but...it is a licorice explosion of overwhelming proportions.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Agree very much with Rupert - the Sazerac is yum-a-licious!! (And now thanks to my trip to New Orleans, I have my own Peychaud's!)

And despite the online floggings that I know I will get, I still like it with bourbon...(yea, I'm an anarchist).

- M

By Rupert1029 on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 04:21 pm: Edit

My Favorite Absinthe Cocktail:
The Sazerac

I lump Sugar
1 Dash Peychaud Bitters
1 Shot Rye Whiskey
1 shot Absinthe (i prefer sebor for this drink only)

Shake well with ice, pour in cooled glass, add a lemon peel.

I advise you buy the Savoy Cocktail Book, written in 1930 by the longtime bartender at the Savoy Hotel in London (can't remember his name). Lots of Absinthe Cocktails in the book.

By Pikkle on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Segarra... then Deva... waiting on the NS... Don't quite care for the La Fee... tastes much like Deva... Get La Bleue, drink La Bleue! And the forthcoming products from Ted and Don... can't wait!!!

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I find it rather hard to "taste" past the liquor with both of the Spanish 70% products. If getting hammered is your priority, you've got the right 2 bottles, but you'd do far better for "subtleties" with something like Segarra (if you're limited to Spanish, that is). I'd recommend Segarra and the new N.S as your next SC order. (And do save your pennies for La Bleue to broaden your horizons beyond Spanish products!)

As far as mixers - your imagination is your only limit. We're always on the lookout here for amazing new absinthe-cocktail combos. (Oh, and don't dismiss your "shits & giggles" 7-Up mix! A hidden flask of absinthe and a cup of 7-up is my favorite secret bar drink!)

- M

By Melinelly on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

well, deva's my fave spanish brand... tho i have N.S. and Segarra on the way from SC so that may change...

how fast you add the water doesn't make much difference in anything other than atmosphere =) i usually just pour my shot and hit it straight from my water dispenser. sometimes i'll trickle it in to watch it louche slower, but generally not. the slower drips are mainly when using sugar to ensure it dissolves well.

as far as flavors go, the better spanish brands are all heavy on the anis and liquorice flavors, just give your tongue some time to adjust if you're not that heavy into that flavor to begin with.

as far as mixing, i haven't tried much, but adding cold seltzer water instead of plain water makes a nice refreshment. any lightly flavored soda should be ok i'd imagine, but i like my flavors unmingled for the most part.

By Fight4urmind on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

I received my order today from SC. Very quickly and with great service! I opened my bottle of Deva 70%. When I opened the bottle, the sweet smell of anise permeated the air. I poured about a shot and a half into my new Absinthe glass, straight from K-Mart. I decided not to use any sugar since it seems everyone agrees that most Spanish Absinthe do not need any. I wondered what I should do with my spoons, and I preceeded to make a cool display with my glasses, spoons, and bottles. I chilled some water in a water bottle and dripped it slowely into the glass. A wonderful Louch, my first one! I guess I'm de-virginized! My first sip, I have to admit, was a bit overwhelming. The licorice flavor was super strong! I drank most of it but had a little left in the bottom. I added a little 7-up for shits and giggles and it tasted pretty good. I have a few questions:

First, how slowly do you drip the H2O in the glass?

Second, I really had a tough time tasting other flavors coming out in the absinthe, mostly licorice. Which others have a different taste, Segarra?

Third, Does everyone drink their absinthe only with water, or do you mix it? With what?

Thanks a lot, I was so happy today when I got the package, I'm always excited to drink, but this has been by far the most exciting! I am waiting to open my bottle of Mari Mayans 70%. I'm not sure if I made the right picks for my first experience, but I'm looking foreward to trying other brands!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation