Moulin Rouge

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Moulin Rouge
By Franglais on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Saw it tonight. Definitely worth seeing. A few fleeting bad moments, but the whole thing works. The brief flaming absinthe was done just for visuals to make the whole thing more dramatic, but there is so much going on that you get over the offensive shock pretty quickly. Kidman and McGregor can actually sing, which is a surprise. Well worth it.

By Marc on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Moulin Rouge has managed to gross $250,000
in just 2 theaters, one in LA, the other in NYC. Thats amazing.

By Marc on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 05:32 pm: Edit

morrigan,

Yes, lets make contact when you get to Vegas.
Everybody seems to be passing thru Sin City.
I just got a call from Grimbergen. He's here
for a couple of days.

I'll e-mail you my cell phone number.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Ah Marc..

I only refer to you as my "arch nemesis" in the best of spirits!! It's a sweet pet name really, reserved for those nearest my heart, stuck in my head, or otherwise under my skin. Oh, and you've yet to respond to my mention of being in Vegas on June 5 - are you playing hard to get? Do I have to hunt you down??

Kallisti - glad to hear you'll be along on Friday (I've missed ya!). It wouldn't be a proper crinolined & corseted hootenanny without you.

- Morrigan

By Admin on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

==> cajoling croon: Maaaarc, you should drive up for the Moulin Rouge opening Friday. Really, you ought. Come do the can-can with us. Its only a 9 hr drive on I-5. Honest.

The Absinthe does the most exquisite Coq au Vin. And tho my favorite bartenders have moved on, they still make mighty fine cocktails.

Come feel the love.

By _Blackjack on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Y'see, I'm a sucker for a good musical. I don't know if this is going to BE a good musical (I'm wary of the idea of stringing together songs by various artists) but they make so few musicals these days (except Disney movies, the only two worth mentioning being Beauty and the Beast and Nightmare Before Christmas) that I am all over this. Especially when Baz mentioned that he was inspired by Indian Bollywood musicals. THAT's fun stuff.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I'm still investigating that problem.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

I'll email you directly.

By Marc on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 12:17 pm: Edit

head,

I would, but I still haven't recovered.

By the way, how do you remove that jelly-like shit? And where can i get more?

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

You should tell her about our meeting.

By Marc on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

morriganlefey,

I hope I'm not your arch nemesis. But, on the off chance that I am, let me briefly tell you of my second meeting with kallisti.

I took k. to my favorite Thai restaurant, Lotus Of Siam, where we had a delicious meal consisting
of smoked sheetfish soup, papaya salad, giant barbecued prawns and beef with sliced garlic.
We drank Singha beer and talked of many things. Including you, my dear. She told me about the New
Orleans tasting, describing in great detail the lovely folks who attended. I spoke of my nightclub project and life in Vegas. It was a delightful experience, although all too brief.

By Admin on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

I responded to the list on friday ... er, me and a guest. I'm in!

By Morriganlefey on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

Kallisti - welcome back from Vegas (I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures there with my "arch nemesis!") Hey - I've yet to hear back from you yea or nay for this Friday's Moulin Rouge event (see my email to the Green Bay mailing list). We need to get an accurate count so I can pre-purchase tickets and Tlautrec can reserve our spot at Absinthe. 8 confirmed so far - we'd love to add you to the list.

-M

By Admin on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 08:50 am: Edit

eeek! I re-watched "the making of moulin rouge" that I taped a couple weeks ago off of cable ... and tho very fleeting, I caught this time the image of the flaming sugar absinthe ritual. gah! didn't they know better??? or perhaps this was part of their attempt at bringing it all up to date, tho I can hardly credit them.

aside from that, some dorky music (tho there are some excellent tracks) & sappy love story, the visuals look to be a real treat. if I get 2 hours of eyecandy, I will be satisfied.

By Marc on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

heiko,

"convincing"? Who wants convincing? Its a fucking
musical with a surrealist twist. I love over-the-top artifice. Personally, I can't wait to see it.
Of course, I'm fully prepared to be disappointed.

By Heiko on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:39 pm: Edit

"it's a mishmash of decoration, drapery and debauchery that's both deeply pleasurable and kitschy"

If that's it, I definitely won't go and see it. I was interested in how an American critic would describe it. In my eyes it is not rated it too high here, just like what I've heard from German critics in Cannes.
Well, I don't like musicals anyways (either I want music, or a play/movie - but mysterious choirs suddenly hopping along the streets and stuff like that is not really what makes a convincing story, IMO...).

By Marc on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Zacharek is a movie reviewer who can really write.
I've been following her reviews for awhile now and
I'm always impressed. She lives in Brooklyn. We've developed an e-mail relationship. I told her about the absinthe.forum and I bet she'd dig getting feedback from some its members. Just a thought.

By Marc on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:23 pm: Edit

kallisti,

man you're good! thanks.

By Admin on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:17 pm: Edit

here ya go!

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2001/05/18/moulin_rouge/index.html

By Marc on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Stephanie Zacharek, a salon.com movie critic,
compares Moulin Rouge to an absinthe high. Her review is the best I've read on the film so far.

Could someone provide a link to the review. I don't know how to do it. The review is at salon.com.

By Midas on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

Jonathan, thou shalt be called when the number of tickets is certified. And thou shalt be visited at dusk in the nearest future by a black clad figure. And he shall be heard to say "Get out the Montana, I got the La Fee, let's have a piss up", and thou shalt be compelled to oblige.
-Robert.

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 03:41 am: Edit

Melinelly-

Thanks for pointing out the dripping glass. I'll look for it the next time I go.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Wonderful poster art, certainly, but I reallllly loved the brass moon & black cat bar fixture carefully removed from the actual bar at the Chat Noir. Reaallllly wanted to be bad and swipe it for a hood ornament on me' car!!

Spank me,
- Morrigan

By Melinelly on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Tlautrec,

Kallisti, Morrigan (& her other half), and myself (& my other half) went to the Lautrec exhibit this last weekend and had a picnic on the lawn outside.

there was ONE spotting of the green fairy (other than the book in the gift shop)... Kallisti saw it first. in the room with all the hilarious drunken cafe doodles, on the right side of the wall leading into the gift shop, is a drawing of a cafe scene... and sitting all by itself on a table, someone has left a glass of absinthe to drip... you can see the spoon and sugar atop the glass, and you can make out a clear dripping through to the elixer in the glass =)

it was a very cool exhibit with several well known art/ad pieces and quite an interesting and often amusing selection of pieces... icluding a recreation of some of the shadow shows as put on at le chat noir theatre.

the only *shudder* came at seeing a giant poster (probably 8' x 10') stuck to the wall with THUMB TACKS =/ heh

By Frater_Carfax on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Young Robert

I do hope you were going to tell me about this Moulin Rouge adventure! You still have to come around for a Montana...

(Yes, I'm finally on the forum, long overdue!!!)

Greetings to you too Don (and the missus)

regards

Jonathan

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

was thinking of checking it out this weekend as well. wanna have a picnic on the old graveyard there?

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

Welcome to another Bay-area absintheur, Tlautrec!! Thank you for your informative post.

The Lautrec exhibit runs through May 27th, so there is plenty of time left. I haven't been yet, but will be going this weekend, I believe.

- Morrigan

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Oh, and I forgot....there are several pictures and photographs of the real Moulin Rouge, of course!

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

A few days ago, Admin mentioned that there is a big Toulouse Lautrec exhibit here in San Francisco. I've already been twice. It's great! It's at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park, out near the Ocean, overlooking the Golden Gate and looking down on downtown SF from afar. If you've never been there, a visit just to see the museum in its gorgeous setting is eminently worth the trip in its own right. Moreover, the museum building is an exact, full-scale replica of the early 18th century Palace of the Legion of Honor in Paris, except, of course, that the Paris original is on a narrow city street. Interestingly, the Paris building is diagonally across the street from the Musée d'Orsay, the unbelievably fantastic museum which houses (in my humble opinion) the greatest collection of French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art in the world. And we well know what all those crazy late 19th century artists in Paris drank liberal quantities of, now don't we?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The exhibit diplays many artifacts of the literary and artistic life of Montmartre between 1875 and 1900, including, of course, original posters of Toulouse Lautrec, Steinlein and others, as well as many other types of ephemera which illustrate the high-spirited avant garde literary scene and the high and the low culture night life of that community during the Belle Epoque. When you see pictures about and writings of the artistic movement called the "Incoherents" or the one called the "Hydropaths" (meaning, I suppose, "those sick from/of water"??), you just have to know that those wild and crazy folks must have been drinking something wild and crazy. Anyway, it was a period of unprecedented freedom of expression in the history of France, and the exhuberance of artists tasting freedom pervades the works in the show. (The only overt evidence of the Green Fairy that I was able to discern was a copy of Barnaby Conrad's book in the gift shop associated with the exhibition. Just as well, I guess.) I highly recommend that any of you who can get there go see the show, It runs through sometime in mid-May.

P.S. Since I'm posting something about a Toulouse Lautrec show, I feel compelled to say that someday maybe I should post something about why I use the handle "tlautrec."

By Midas on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 06:37 am: Edit

Oh don't you worry, photos WILL be taken. i think costuming at this end will be a tad steampunk. Traditional vicky garb with a few little modern accessories, ie my mirrored pince nez sunglasses. Actually, I'm on the hunt at the moment for a victorian style filigree mobile phone cover. The search continues...
-Robert.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 05:36 am: Edit

This ooks very cute, tho I'm made a bit wary by the proclaimation of "New music by Christina Aguilara" at the end of the trailer...

But, hey, it's fortified with corsety goodness!

By Admin on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 09:33 pm: Edit

This'll be a great excuse to get together. I say drinking before AND after. Just have to keep an eye out for the official SF opening night. And yeah Midas, we want documentation! We'll show you ours if you show us yours.

If ya hadn't noticed, they got the trailer up finally (it wasn't available when I made the original post).

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/moulin_rouge/

I have some reservations about plot & dialog (looks kinda silly in the trailer), tho, I do try to keep in mind that he's not without talent, he wrote "Strictly Ballroom" afterall. But the art direction, production & cinematography looks breathtaking. With R + J, despite the stilted & juvenile acting styles of the leads, it was the vision & production that really carried the film. And MR has some super supporting actors. And Can Can girls.

Further investigation into the site (see below for login) reveals that he is using Orpheus & Eurydice as structure ... I love referential work and when modern reinterpretations of classics are done right they can be brilliant. Maybe it'll work. I sure liked Titus.

Speaking of which, the premise of this film reminds of me of one that had far, far less budget but is one of my absolute faaavorite films: Desperate Remedies (1991 or so I think). I believe its from New Zealand. Same referential mish-mash of culture & literature. Wonderfully decadent. And now most of the actors appear as regulars on Xena & Hercules. Heh.

If anyone cares, I created a little member login ya'll can use, called "club moulin rouge" or something, just has a bit more information.

http://www.moulinrougemovie.com/
Username: forum@sepulchritude.com
Password: absinthe

Do yourself a favor, close the pop-up window with evil uber flash stuff and select "html" page. Not nearly so annoying. But there are some really cute quicktime moobies in the "toulouse" section. Tho the coding seems to have gone all awry. Try to persevere.

By Morriganlefey on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

Midas - Do take pictures of your "can-can posse kick-line" at the Sydney premier and post them here - would enjoy seeing them thoroughly!!

-M

By Morriganlefey on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 10:33 am: Edit

Wheeee!! Yes, Kallisti speaks for me as well when she expresses her love for lace, hoopskirts & tails. Mel, what I usually go for (outfit-wise) at outings such as the Moulin Rouge premier would be a mix of period clothing & wacky. So it wouldn't be out of the question to see me in bloomers, corset, velvet frock coat, striped tights, pirate boots & fairy wings (or some combination thereof).

It's just a movie, so you needn't go shopping - just pull your velvets (and your imagination) out of the closet!! Oh, and I think a few cocktails apres movie would be in order..

- M

By Melinelly on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

should be fun heh, guess i'll dust off my pane velvet poets shirt and whatnot =)

By Admin on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 09:44 am: Edit

Sorry, the forum index got corrupted, but all is fix'ed now.

I think generally dress up. But for me (and I think Morrigan too) that usually means mixing in hoops & lace with our tophats & tails.

Looks like we're going to have a partay.

By Melinelly on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

tried to say let me and mel know yesterday, but darn site wasn't letting me post =P

also, shall we just be dressing up, or will we be going for a period look (in which case we've got some shopping to do =))?

By Netsurfer on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Kallisti, please let me know as well; I'm a little south of the city down in Silicon Valley...

-
Jim

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 09:36 am: Edit

Kallisti - please do include ME in that posse!!! Any excuse to wear crinolins & maribou...

*grin*
- Morrigan

By Admin on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 11:45 pm: Edit

la! That sounds perfect. Will probably organize my own posse on this side of the planet.

I also hear that there is a Lautrec exhibit here in SF at one of the big museums. Will have to check that out as well.

By Midas on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Morrigan, myself and a couple of friends are going to the Sydney premiere, and that is the general plan for dress and etiquette. Maybe a kick line down the red carpet...
...oh, a little off topic rumour I heard before I forget. I know a barman at a fairly exclusive bar here in Sydney, and he said the owner is planning to stock absinthe under the counter, as he's had quite a lot of people inquiring about it, and Warren wants my opinion on what brands to buy, cocktail recipies, etc. I'll keep eveyone posted if this happens.
-Robert

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 11:02 am: Edit

I simply can no longer manage to find Nicole Kidman attractive since I discovered she is dumb as a box of rather dumb hammers...

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

Agree with Midas on that one. And I, personally, also wouldn't mind seeing a corseted Nicole Kidman in that same pose...

I saw a snippet of an interview with Baz on one of those tacky entertainment shows last night. U.S. release date for the movie is June 1. Here's proposing that we Bay Area absintheurs making a big, gaudy and elaborately-dressed showing on opening night...

- Morrigan

By Midas on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Ewan MacGregor nude covered in Japanese calligraphy... couldn't be happier.

By Marc on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 01:19 am: Edit

Moulin Rouge is directed by Baz Luhrmann who also did the wonderfully warped Strictly Ballroom.
On the other hand, he directed the awful Romeo And Juliet flick with Leonardo DiCrapio. So, Moulin Rouge could go either way.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:26 am: Edit

this movie will be opening the cannes film festival in may...ça commence...

By Admin on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Corsets, whores & green fairies ... couldn't be happier.

Ewan on the chez ... Pillow Book much?

By Midas on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 09:19 pm: Edit

My God, I'm drinking a glass of Kylie Minogue!
Kallisti, I agree, it should be interesting. Apparrently there is a slow top hat and tie routine to Smells Like Teen Spirit.
A friend of mine worked on the film, and he's trying to get me a few of the props, especially these gorgeous griffin shaped gas fittings, and a couple of the lead light mirrors they used. Mind you, I'd settle for a couple of chez longes and Ewan MacGregor.
-Robert.

By Admin on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 09:13 pm: Edit

ok, so I'm a dork ... but this one is especially sweet:

kylie as fairy again

By Admin on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 12:24 am: Edit

moulin rouge

Clips of the movie have started showing up in the media, so I went searching ... should be out in May. Looks to be a curious hybrid, not everyone's cup o' tay, but sure looks like mine. Weeee!

http://www.moulinrougemovie.com

green fairy

Illustration above used in accordance with
the following Terms & Conditions issued by Twentieth Century Fox, and illustration
remains copyright and property of Fox:

TM and © 2001 TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX CORP., AND RELATED ENTITIES
"FOX". ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Fox grants Participant (KMN) a non-exclusive,
non-assignable, and non-transferable license to use and display, for personal and
noncommercial use only, one copy of any material that Participant may download from this
site, including, but not limited to, any files, codes, audio, or images incorporated in or
generated by the software (collectively "Downloaded Material") provided,
however, that Participant maintains all copyright and other notices contained in such
Downloaded Material. Participant acknowledges and agrees not to sublicense, assign, or
otherwise transfer this license or the Downloaded Material. Participant also agrees not to
alter, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise modify the Downloaded
Material.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation