First Absinthe experience

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:First Absinthe experience
By Netsurfer on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 12:04 am: Edit

Thanks!

-
Jim

By Zack on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Betina has La Fee, already in the US.

By Netsurfer on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 09:59 pm: Edit

I ordered Swiss La Bleue, Deva and Segarra. I'd like to get a bottle of the French La Fee but so far as I can tell the online source only ships to the UK. Does anyone know of a source that would ship the French La Fee to the US?

-
Jim

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

Maybe that`s because we are to anxious and too much centered on our feeling or too much analytical on the first time (maybe something like a woman making love for the first time ;-) ). So We miss the fun because we want too much.
Then next time we cool down and we just begin to enjoy it. I have also heard that from people smoking pot for the first time.

I also agree that it`s better not to drink absinthe every weekend if we want to keep it a special drink (but it`s so hard not to open the bottle again!).

I also got some info from a lawyer I know concerning importation of alcohol in Quebec Canada(but this is not official info, he didn`t do any research because I was asking the question casually as a friend, not as a customer) ...The penalty could go up to 25000 Can $ but that`s normally just if you try to import large quantity (ei : containers). For one or two bottles, it`s normally just confiscation of the bottles and maybe sometimes up to 500$. So that`s another reason not to order it every month. Curiously, they apparently don't care if it`s absinthe or not (but this lawyer don't even know what is absinthe in the first place so maybe he`s wrong about that part of my question).

Just to give you an idea ..Ok I got to leave, I have another order to place at SC..;-)

Wolf.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 09:42 pm: Edit

What's funny is, I think a couple of different people have written here that they really noticed the effects only after drinking absinthe for a few days straight... I mean, not drinking it continuously (they'd surely be dead), but having a few glasses each evening for a few consecutive days.

Why would that be? I should think one would be more likely to develop tolerance rather than sensitization.

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
this is what I experienced, even I'm not so much an experienced Absintheur yet. If you drink a glass or two every evening for two weeks or more, you will just feel nothing anymore, not even the alcohol.

Ooh, and I can remember my first cigarette: it was a mind-blowing experience, I couldn't understand how people could smoke a cigarette in the morning and still make it through the day ;-)

I guess it's the same with everything: if you overdo it, it becomes normal, even boring - so better only do it once or twice a month, then every time is almost like the first time...

By Joshua on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 08:11 am: Edit

nothing makes my bed feel so fluffy and inviting more than a glass of abs,i usally take one or two glasses about 2-3 hours before bedtime.ahh the best sleep a person can get.but unfourtunatly i havent got the vivd dreams,at least none that i could remember once awake

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 07:24 am: Edit

I also observed less effect on my first try. The second and third time I drank absinthe (always about 3-4 Oz of Deva70) the euphoric effect was more clear. I also agree that it's not very strong. Just enough to be just funny. What was more prominent was the perfect sleeping effect. On the three occasions I waked up late on the morning, extremely calm and without the hangover I could have expected from any other drink (as I always do after taking alcohol, I drank about 500 ml of water before going to bed).

It's like the green fairy make you happy and then gently bring you to the alcohol buzz and to the world of Morpheus.

Concerning those secondary effect, I believe that we will probably get use to it. You remember the first time you drank alcohol ? It was great isn't it ? And then we got used to it and it's not so special anymore. Any opinion from experimented absinthe drinkers ?

PS
I will soon order the regular Deva, segarra and NS to compare tastes and effects.

Wolf.

By Will on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Well I just received my first two of bottles of Absinthe about a week ago. I ordered a bottle of Deva and Segarra from SC. The service was excellent and timely as everyone of this board seems to agree. The first night I tried it I found it to be almost undrinkable. I mean the licorice taste was so overbearing. But now after four drinking sessions with it, I've seemed to develop quite a taste for it. I actually enjoy it now. To me the Deva and Segarra taste very similar, only the Segarra is a bit smoother with a more candy-like taste. One thing I want to address is the whole issue of "secondary effects." I know that this is quite a controversy among the people on this forum. The first night I drank Absinthe I didn't really notice anything other than being drunk. By the way I very skeptical to begin with and really wasn't expecting anything, although I have to admit the whole notion of "secondary effects" is one of the main things that drew me to Absinthe in the first place. Now after drinking it on four occasions I have become in tune with its "effects." I always have very vivid dreams, and I get more of a euphoric feeling than with alcohol alone. Also, I feel more focused even though I know I'm drunk. But to be realistic I would only place these "effects" at a level only slightly higher than caffeine of nicotine. Anyways, just my two cents. And to Ted and Don, where's the good stuff? I am anxiously waiting to taste what real Absinthe is. Thanks.

Will

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation