Archive through March 07, 2001

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Was the forum down or does everyone have a hangover?:Archive through March 07, 2001
By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 05:02 pm: Edit

double bah! the scanner is broken. seems to work fine, but no image shows in preview or scan =P oh well. guess we'll just have to wait for Mel to find time to scan em in at work heh.

on another note. anyone else use ICQ messaging program? my number is 1351341.

cheers!

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

bah, well the place i had my pics developed at could've put them on disk, but they were telling me it would take like two weeks =P what a crock. so i guess i'm just gonna have to hook up that scanner one of our old roomates left behind and see if i can't find some drivers to run the thing hehe.

there are some good pics, but i really wish i'd have taken more. other than a couple group shots, i've only got me, mel, malhomme, allison, treeman, and ted in various combinations, with the occasional morrigan head in the background. i'll try to get things set up when i get home from work today so that i can get them posted in the next couple of days. i'll probably create a page on one of my sites for them so as to keep down the bandwidth usage here. if anyone's got any pics of the event they want me to post, email em to me at emiliano@usermail.com

By Admin on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Oooh Melinelly, I'm sorry ... I blame the extreme medication I've been subjecting myself to. Well ... and I am also very bad with names. The night was one big happy blur and I spent an hour the next day to try and sort out all the names and faces.

I am heading back to SF in the morning and will be back online Saturday. Let me just thank everyone again for the lovely fest.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 11:44 am: Edit

Did anyone go see any music? If so, please regale us with who/what you saw. Also, any good dining? If I can't go to N.O., I'd at least like to get some vicarious thrills hearing about it.

Thanks!

BC

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

Awww..Emiliano, you echo my thoughts completely. The thoughts & feelings about the gathering that I had difficulty putting to words were perfectly scripted in your post. I'm very glad that you & Melanie are in the Bay area - I look forward to seeing you both again.

As to my favorite variety - I *think* my vote'd go to the Pontarlier. I too only had one glass, but it blew me away. Light on the anis, with a full earthy/minty finish. I enjoyed the Nouvelle Orleans and Gorgon for their uniqueness (spicy absinthe - whoa nelly!), but they would definitely be "special occasion" absinthes, as opposed to one I could drink daily (like Pontarlier). The Edouard was lovely, but I think I may have been in too much of a rush to get to the other varieties that I didn't give it a "fair shake". Although lovely & delicate, it seemed too simple at first, but I think upon quiet contemplation and a second tasting that I might find its subtleties to be perhaps the most complex of all the varieties.

I think (hope?!) that all of our findings on the Jade products will be a work in progress...to be continued!

- M

By Germanandy on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 02:54 am: Edit

david,

you confused absinthe with steroids ;-)

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 12:34 am: Edit

It seems that erudition is all very well, but biceps are what REALLY impress the Forumites. Why should Ted get all the kudos - I feel compelled to post my photo as well...
Self portrait

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 12:27 am: Edit

doh, that would be "my lady friend listed BELOW" hehe got my directions all mixed up.

wow, my post was long... and i've only begun to think of things to say! lol

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 12:25 am: Edit

now that was fun =)

just got in from nola not too long ago. it was so sad to have left this morning.

there's just so much to say!

first off, thanks Ted, Kallisti, and everyone!

second... you are some of the finest people i've had the pleasure of meeting. from the moment we said our goodbyes, i've missed you =) what an incredible night that was. the city, the setting, the absinthe, the company... was all absolutely perfect.

third. my mouth waters remembering the absinthes we tasted. the next morning, there was a news report on cnn about a plane exploding that the Thai prime minister was to be on, and the only thing i could think of was "damn, i hope this doesn't hinder rolling out the Jade!"

also, Kallisti how could you forget my wife's name? for the record, my lady friend listed above is Melanie, where my forum name Melinelly comes from (it's one of her nicknames)... hehe i can't recall how many times i explained that to folks saturday night =) my name for those who don't recall is Emiliano.

as for absinthe not giving you a hangover... well, i'll be the first on this thread to say otherwise =) i lost count at eleven LOL, and you should have seen me staggering behind Mel and my in-laws walking around the french quarter the next day! but damn was it worth every lurch and throb!

we're getting our pictures developed tomorrow, and i'll be sure to find a place where i can get them put on a disk as well so i can put them up for y'all to see.

another note: one of the "Some Guy"s listed in the lineup below is Rupert1029(?) or something to that effect. can't remember the other mystery men this moment. and ya know what? Stephanie's not in the picture =(. did anyone else get left out?

my favorite concoction of the evening is a toss up...

the Eduard, i thought was the most balanced as far as allowing the various flavors to mingle delightfully on the tongue. it was smooth. silky on the tip of the tongue, openning up into loveliness.

the Nouvelle-Orleans, may have been my favorite (see next tasting note). anis stood out less in this one than the other recreations, and was indeed complex. there was a flavor that kind of lept out at the swallow that i absolutely knew but couldn't quite place. it is a flavor prevalent in advocaat. malhomme, allison, and i eventually figured out the flavor ;) the Nouvelle was cloy and playful, a pleasure to come back to time and time again (i think i had five or six of this one at least).

the Pontarlier, might eventually be my favorite. this was indeed a crowd pleaser as there were many many oohs and aahs connected to sipping it. however, i was unfortunate to have only drunk a single glass. when i went back for my second (after running the gamut once), it was already gone =( all i can say is that the initial taste is out of this world, certainly mind numbing! upon the first sip, all you could say was "oh my god" and stare blindly into the glass as if some great mystery of life had just been flashed before your eyes not quite long enough for you to understand it... i can only wish that i'd had at least another glass. this was perhaps the strongest of the brews, and i was just too impressed with it to have been able to stop utterly enjoying it long enough to analyze it and tell you what it tasted like.

the Gorgon, was another forumite fave... this one too i only had a single glass. Mel had two tho, and this was tied for favorite (with Eduard) on her pallate. i can't compare this to the other offerings, because it is so unique and different. there was the least taste of anis in this one, which was dominated by spices including the secret ingredient (which we had fun figuring out), and the occaisional peekaboo appearences of mint and cinnamon. YUMMY!

i'm already looking forward to the next gathering. i know i'll be seeing some of you in the bay area sooner than others, but i think that we should run with an idea that had been put forth for nola. next time, we should see about getting the run of some place, perhaps the biscuit palace, bon maison guesthouse, or other such establishment so that we can spend more time together and have a base from which to plan excursions if it were so desired. i only say this because now that i've met you, i wish that we'd had more time together, not just with the absinthe =)

anyhoo... more thoughts to come. i'm tired and we need to unpack and unwind from our plane rides.

click on my profile and email us if ya like, and i look forward to reading what others thought of the event and to discussing this here and elsewhere =)

ack! i've spent so long typing this up that Mel has fallen asleep on the couch! g'night y'all.

cheers!

emiliano
oakland, ca

By Ekmass on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 12:19 am: Edit

Well Ted that settles it. Forget your absinthe, we want to see more pics of you modelling. Or at least you can put your pic on the bottle ;-)
EM

By Corsetgirl on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 09:48 pm: Edit

OT
Damn Ted you look good. I figured you'd look like my grandpa.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

I thought Ted looked like an old geezer because I was duped by the fake photo he posted a while back when Marc accused him of being a 13 yr. old computer geek. It's a good thing I can't afford to buy real estate...

K.

By Bluedog1 on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Damn! I'm totally envious! (Insert joke here about "green with envy")

All I have is a picture of me with my head in a Vulcan stove while pulling out a pair of pecan encrusted roasted pork loins!

bluedog1

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Hee hee - Well, I made it back to SF safe & sound. It's truely difficult to put the Forum Gathering Experience into words...but to try - the absinthe (4 different varieties!) was splendid, the venue enchanting, and the company delightful. Thanks so much to Ted (and those behind the scenes) for making this happen.

A wonderful time all 'round (though Kallisti is right - we spent all day Sunday in a stupor!) I do hope we can all continue with gatherings of this type in the future.

Oh and no, blackjack, I am actually about a foot SHORTER than everyone, so they propped me on a chair in back. I've never felt so tall!!!

- Morrigan

(with a special hello to Artemis! *smile*)

By Tabreaux on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

No offense taken. I'm used to hearing that.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Strange the images you create in your mind about people you've never met. Artemis looks fairly close to what I imagined but Ted!! No offence Ted but I imagined you to look like some old geezer.

Hobgoblin

By Treeman5 on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

Good Morning VietNam!!

I have to tell you all first that I had the plane ride's from HELL getting back to CT Sunday night.I was almost stopped dead in Pittsburgh, but after raising a bitch a mega proportions, I got rerouted to Providence RI where I was met by a friend..It's still snowing here maybe 1-3ft by the time it's done..Now on to the party...OH MY GODDDDDDD! Special thanks to Ted,Don,Justin, and Adam..Thanks also to everyone I met there, what a wonderfully inspiring time I had in Nola..Oh the broken glass was mine and it was not an antique..My mind is shot to hell right now, and it will be a day or 2 to get the reviews written down, but all that I tasted were of the finest quality anyone could imagine..Let my head clear and I'll be glad to tell you all I can "remember" Ted thanks again for the great time, and everyone who attended it was an honor to meet you all.. Matt

By Admin on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 09:15 am: Edit

And here's a pic of Ted and his fountain:

Breaux's Fountain

By Admin on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

Morrigan had the wherewithal to stand on a chair, the Marquis really is that tall. And Midas, please note my horns (heh) of the petite green glitter variety.

Ted's brew(s) were exquisite. There were four varieties, each completely distinct and a universe unto itself ...

Here's my very brief reviews from memory:

Edouard - rich and florid, piquant and exquisitely complex

Nouvelle Orleans - very well balanced with slightly less anise, again wonderful complexity for the tastebuds

Gorgon - bright and fresh, very crisp and smooth

Pontarlier - wonderfully earthy

By Midas on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

I hope you all had an absolute hoot. I must say it's all a bit surreal to see what you guys actually look like. It's like when you're reading a book and you have a certain idea of what the characters look like, then you see the movie, and they're completely different. Nonetheless, you're all a very attractive bunch.
I'd put up a pic of me, but the only one I have at the moment that's uploadable is me modelling in a fashion show last year, and I look like RuPaul with horns. Glamtastic, but not my usual day wear.
Again, I hope it was great. Wish I could've made it, but it was the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras this week, and I never, ever miss it. It's in the contract.
Take care guys.
-Robert.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

The downside of that deal is that, I am the living equivalent of the picture of Dorian Gray, I am like the painting in the attic...Ted gets eternal youth, I get to wear the marks of his sins...arrrggghhhh!

That devil strikes a hard bargain!

See the remake of BEDAZZLED for details.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

Ted's age is truly 234, he simply made a deal with the forces of Darkness to look like that for 1000 years, and to be granted the secret of the world's finest absinthes, heheheheheheh! I know. I brokered the deal with the devil for him....

By Tabreaux on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

My workout program? I lift cases of absinthe.

Seriously though, after a day of recovery, I am pleased to report that the New Orleans event was most enjoyable. It lasted from 8pm to almost 3am if that is any indication. As far as I know, only one glass was broken, which considering how much absinthe was dispensed, is not a bad statistic. Many people spent yesterday and possibly today travelling home, so I suspect the reports will come trickling in.

Everyone was very pleasant and my antique absinthe fountain got a real workout. They were able to sample four different absinthes, and everyone had different favorites. I'll leave it up to the participants to elaborate further

By Ekmass on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 05:40 am: Edit

Damn Ted! I need your workout program.

By Germanandy on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 04:26 am: Edit

maybe.
i felt much younger after the first glas, after the third glass i began to talk like my 3 year old daughter.

andy

By Aion on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 04:07 am: Edit

Andy,

Remembering his age is 234 (as told in his profile) it looks like he did some successful
research on the fountain of youth as well.
Maybe his absinthe is the elixir of life ;-)

A.

By Germanandy on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 02:46 am: Edit

i didn't know that ted is such a good looking man ;-)

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I told you he looks like Val Kilmer!

By Grimbergen on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Well? Do the rest of us get to know about what happened?

By _Blackjack on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Is Morrigan really a foot taller than everyone?

I was stuck here (work), with no forum, AND the brakes on the Eldorado went out...

So, was it yummy?

[pout]

By Admin on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 04:08 pm: Edit

absinthe gathering

Wooo! Ok, got it this time ... heh.

By Admin on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Ok, so we all know absinthe doesn't give you a hangover but "Hooooo-ey!" don't I feel knackered today. Mostly due to the tremendous cold I over-medicated in order to schmooze properly.

Those that can should be dashing towards their keyboards to post their impressions of last night's soirée.

Just wanted to say that I had a simply splendiferous time meeting everyone and thanks to our lovely and charming host, Ted, for being so lovely and charming ... and to Adam of Pirate's Alley for the generous use of his venue.

I will be posting some more pictures soooon. But Here's a nice group shot, a couple of the names I didn't know, so please feel free to fill in the blanks:

Text description

(left to right in a very scattered way)

front row: Justin's Lady Friend, Paige, Artemis, Kallisti, Ted, Lady Friend & Melinelly,

Middle row: Justin, Rick Royale, Marcellin, Some Guy, Domingo, TreeMan, Malhomme & his Lovely Lady, Some Guy, Some Guy

Back Row: GreenImp, Marquis, Morrigan

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation