Archive through March 07, 2001

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Ahahahahahahaha hehehe this is the funniest absinthe related thing i have ever seen:Archive through March 07, 2001
By Oxygenee on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

Generally absinthe spoons look like absinthe spoons - either the shovel shaped variety or the circular "Rondes" type. The very few exceptions are well documented in Delahaye and elsewhere (eg the "Boulenger" spoon).

Where other types of flatware are offered for sale as "previously unrecorded" absinthe spoons, this is usually a result of excessive optimism and/or ignorance on the part of the vendor. This is not the case with those two scoundrels from Luxembourg who sell on eBay under the names "Jabi" and "Rols" - they've had several emails from me and I'm certain other collectors politely informing them that these are NOT absinthe spoons (and of course also that virtually all the glasses they sell are for pastis, not absinthe, and the "antique absinthe fountains" they offered a month or two back were perfume dispensers).

They've chosen to ignore this friendly advice and continue to offer sundry types of perforated spoons as "absinthe spoons" knowing full well that they are not.

Most of the spoons with small holes are sugar sifters - this includes I think both currently on sale on eBay. Elaborately decorated spoons with larger holes are usually bon-bon or ice spoons, those with a flatter round shape are tomato or cucumber servers. Pea spoons are usually quite a bit larger - serving spoon, not table spoon size. Mote spoons (for skimminng tea leaves) have long thin handles and are valuable in their own right, and so not usually misdescribed.

By Frenchman on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

Some sellers of absinthe items are very imaginative.... Perhaps they drunk too much absinthe ? :)

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 09:44 am: Edit

...of course it didn't work, because I got a phone call in between, and uploads of pictures are only allowed for 5 minutes...nothing works today :-(

I give it another try:

spoon1
spoon2

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 09:26 am: Edit

Difficult to say without a picture :-) but a lot of these shallow, rounded slotted spoons were tea spoons. The idea was to shake off the inferior fine powder leaf and transfer the whole leaf to the teapot. Such spoons usually had the handle at an angle to the bowl to facilitate spooning.

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

This guy knows what sells: Sex and forbidden things...;-)

Back to the peaspoon offer: When I looked at his other spoon (the one in the case), I found out that this is somewhat similar to a spoon I own (no, I didn't buy it - I inherited it from my grandma - and I won't sell it ;-)).
I hope these pictures work (this is the first time I try to post a picture):

spoon
spoon2

Does anyone know what these kind of spoons were used for? I remember my grandma saying it was a sugar-spoon, so it might have been used for putting sugar on fruit-salad, or whatever...but in my opinion it's not very handy for this usage.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 07:41 am: Edit

"It changes hands in Hollywood for $1,000+ per bottle"???

I didn't realize Bettina had such a strong presence in California.

BC

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 03:31 am: Edit

Not to mention "A beautiful large 1 bedroom suite in downtown Prague. about a five minute walk to the famous"Old Town Square" with the astronomical clock etc" c'mon fellas start bidding now!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 03:28 am: Edit

but andy, there's "absinthe" and cuban cigars!
c'est ban-tastique! it's a kafkafest!
ian...i don't understand...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 03:14 am: Edit

I wondered the same myself. However if she'd been mentioned in the article description I wouldn't have posted the ebay address ;-)

By Germanandy on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 03:12 am: Edit

in frankfurts redlight distict are a lot of czech babes, and they are much cheaper than the offer at ebay ;-)

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 03:02 am: Edit

what i want to know is if it includes the czech babe that you can't pass through us customs either...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 02:21 am: Edit

perhaps you can bring some boxes of sugar cubes along too Peter

By Petermarc on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

ça commence...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 02:03 am: Edit

I'm afraid someone has topped the 'funniest absinthe-related thing on ebay'. Check out this item
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1220002664

this guy has either got a real sense of humour or he is taking the piss big style.

PS Can comeone please send me the addresses of these people in Hollywood paying $1,000 for a bottle of absinthe, I need to book my plane ticket.

By Mr_Rabbit on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 07:36 am: Edit

Peasinthe! This refreshing beverage is made from many herbs, including anise, fennel, and of course fresh peas! It's the alcaholic version of split pea soup!

Mmm... Peasinthe! The Peasinthe experience cuts out the middle-man and lets you vomit before you've gotten drunk, for the drinker on the go! Saves time, and it's great for losing weight too.

Order now and recieve a fee Peasinthe spoon, perfect for melting that sugar cube or straining out the pulp.

And don't forget to try Peesinthe! Dance with the yellow fairy!

By Joshua on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 05:32 am: Edit

looks like hes got two peasinthe spoons,the other one comes in original case!sadly somebody has bidded on these things

By Bjacques on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

He should advertise it on ebay.co.uk as Daniella Westbrook's coke spoon.

Eeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwww!

That IS a pea spoon.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Ho ho ho. Sweeten your absinthe AND strain your pasta!!!

Caveat emptor, especially when dealing with Jabi.

- M

By Petermarc on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 01:15 pm: Edit

this is a very rare absinthe spoon...it is so rare that no one even knew that they were supposed
to use it for absinthe...until NOW! (with the easy-adapting scallops to custom bend on your glass)...

By Joshua on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 12:25 pm: Edit

lol,im not that knowlagble about absinthe ware,but that resembles a pea spoon to me

By Timk on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Would you look at this -
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1119184200
lol : - ) ha!

Tim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation