Absinthe: Impressions of a First Timer

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absinthe: Impressions of a First Timer
By bluedog1 on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:15 pm: Edit

I think I'll try the Mari next. But the anticipation for the Great Bangkok Experiment is like waiting for Christmas, or New Years

By SeaRobin on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 07:50 pm: Edit

bluedog1

Your picture looks a lot like the one I took of my dining room table. Gotta love it.

http://www.geocities.com/absinthe_usa/ab5_75.jpg

SeaRobin

By bluedog1 on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Finally, over the weekend in an out of the way place, I shared my first bottle of Deva with a couple of friends. Pardon the glassware, but field expediency ruled over destroying my original stuff over the course of a rough trip.

http://www.geocities.com/ammanclub/absenta.gif

It was Friday night. We had just finished catering dinner for about 30 people. The equipment was put away, the dishes and hotel pans were clean and drying, and we had about 10 hours before breakfast had to be served.

My Deva and the bottle of spring water had been in one of the coolers all day and when I cracked the seal on the bottle, the liquid seemed to want to escape on its own. We poured a couple of fingers, set our spoons on the glasses and poured the icy cold water over the cube. As it melted, the elixir transformed from transparent green to a pearl-like pale green. Ah, say I to myself, this is the famous louche.

By my third glass I was hooked. The Deva rolled down my throat easily. I wanted more, but decided to savor, not devour. I was getting quite a buzz. There were no hallucinations, but at one point I noticed that I seemed to be thinking more quickly. My humor and wit seemed to improve. Comments seemed to flow from me like I imagined they would from Oscar Wilde...or at least H.L Mencken.

There was no harsh aftereffect or hangover the next morning, no queasy stomach. I'm ready to go again, this time in a 19th Century setting. Hey, I am hooked. Maybe it is addicting afterall!

Thanks fellow travelers for helping me get to this point. Your advice, counsel and knowledge of customs, brands, suppliers and effects were, I believe, the reason my first experience was a pleasant one.

The training wheels are off! I'm ready for the Bangkok tonic.

Cordially,

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation