Garçon, un pernod, svp...'un pernot?' tout de suite!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Garçon, un pernod, svp...'un pernot?' tout de suite!
By Chrysippvs on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

Thanks...I knew it was somewhere around there...

By Artemis on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 06:06 am: Edit

"around the same time Pernod (c. 1802) was setting up shop in Pontarlier."

1805, to be exact.

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 05:50 am: Edit

my wife's responses to being told Don's other job, the price of a particularly rare spoon that'd bought and being used as a mule to carry absinthe across Paris in case you were wondering...

By Petermarc on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 04:25 am: Edit

he does WHAT? you paid HOW much? it's NOT legal?
it was a pleasure...deirdre is the best...

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 04:17 am: Edit

You are such a tease Peter, your fellow countrymen will be rushing for their geography books (unless they are called Dubyah when they will know at once you are talking about Australia.

Thanks for your hospitality by the way, please email me one of Deirdre's 'Kodak moments'

By Petermarc on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 12:25 am: Edit

and i, too, have things for you to try...it seems that there may be a new star bordering france and it ain't spanish or swiss...

By Ekmass on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Very nice Peter! Speaking of La bleue, it is on the way so you shall have to stop by soon.
EM

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Actually the main distiller (J. Pernot and eventually one of his sons Emile Pernot) did infact win the suit that Pernod raised against them and around 60 others in the area. Turns out that family was legtimatly making absinthe around 1810 in Couvet, around the same time Pernod (c. 1802) was setting up shop in Pontarlier.

So perhaps they are just trying to pick up on the craze. Man I need to get to France, maybe I can make it for the festival.....

By Petermarc on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

they seemed to have survived as this mignonette was made after 1900 and the modern outfit makes a far better drink than pernod does now...

By Artemis on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Seems like the sort of outfit ("lucky pseudonyms") the Maison Pernod sued the pants off of in the 1800s.

By Petermarc on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

pernot

By Petermarc on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 12:19 pm: Edit

grampa?pernot

By Petermarc on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 03:47 pm: Edit

good news for visitors to paris who can't make the trip to pontarlier...a distilled anis called 'vieux pontarlier' is available at the cavist augé, 116 blvd haussmann.
it comes in sugared or non-sugared versions, like pontarlier anis and is made by 'les fils d'emile pernot!' it is naturally colored (although very slight) and 45%...in a comparison with unsugared pontarlier anis, i found it to be slightly more bitter, but not as round as 'un pont'...i had seen the signs for the distillery in pontarlier, but it seems to be forgotten by those who have tasted pontarlier anis...if i had to choose between the two, i would take the pontarlier anis, but this is very close and the bitterness gives it a 'la bleue' kick...the wineshop that carries it is very old (since 1850) and is one of the best in paris, so they may know something...(they also had cool metal mini-alambic still paperweights in different sizes but i wasn't sure if they were for sale and they were about to close)pontar

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation