Absinthe is legal now!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Absinthe is legal now!
By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 04:58 am: Edit

In Quebec, it's a big government monopoly. Only the SAQ can sell alcohol (they even have their hands on the bars alcohol supply) and about 50% of the price is taxes.

One good side of this is that we have some very nice SAQ store in Montreal with huge supply and tons of choices. You can have a look at their inventory on www.saq.com .

Wolf.

By Relrella on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Everything is a little different in Canada than from the states, in BC the legal drinking age is 19, in Quebec its 18, and the provinces especially Quebec are quite independant, the government is quite different from the US. One weird thing in BC is that all liquor stores are goverment run except for a few wine and beer stores, there is only one per neighborhood and it is the size of a grocery store, and in the rural areas the rules are bizarre, only every 30KM one is allowed or something, and they are all closed on Sundays...

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

FWIW, La. takes far more from the fed. than it gives.

This dependence you describe is the basis for the welfare system on both the macro and micro level. Instead of people saying, "Fuck off, we'll do what we want," they are instead hooked on gov't funds and thereby forfeit rights. Quid pro quo, tit for tat, whatever.

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:44 am: Edit

Blackmail or bribery, however you want to look at it...this is a brilliant example of our "state's rights" today.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

Zack:

OK. I see what you mean, sort of. The thing about gambling is that it does not tax consumption, which was the case you had made about alcohol. Rather, the taxes are culled from the take, theoretically.

But I still think what you are describing is blackmail, not bribery. The difference is between giving versus withholding. It was put forth as: "Make it/keep it 21 or we'll take away your federal highway funds." There was never a "bribe" of new funding.

BC

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Bob-
If you need an example of a product/enterprise being legal in one state and totally looked down upon in another all the whilst being taxed heavily, just look at gambling.

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:12 am: Edit

Budweiser in Oklahoma is nowhere near 6.4% alcohol. They have a cut-off % for beer that is around 3.2%. Budweiser here in Texas is supposedly 6.4%, but I doubt it is that high.

Bob-
Any state in the US could lower the drinking age to 18 easily. However, they would lose federal funding by way of the highway dept. This is clearly a bribe... Also, you are right about the "Malt Liquor" labeling, that is a shame some very good imported beers ust carry that stigmata.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

yeah. that's how it is here in ca, BC.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Since the absinthe ban is part of the Federal CFR, one state cannot legalize it.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:53 am: Edit

Also, some states require such strong beers to carry a label of "malt liquor." I remember drinking a Hacker Pschorr (or some other run of the mill German brew) in N.O. and seeing malt liquor in small type on the label.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:51 am: Edit

yeah, or at least that's how it was in 92. i spent the summer down there after i graduated high school, and i might be wrong on which state had the higher content, but that's how it was... or at least how the urban myth went if it wasn't heh. i do know that's incredibly high for such weak piss as mass produced american beer tends to be, but i wouldn't put it past them to boost the kick. i know that i got drunker quicker when we drank whichever was supposed to be higher.

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

"but mass produced domestic beer like bud and miller in Oklahoma is 6.4 percent alcohol .."

That's actually a pretty stout alcohol content for beer, especially watery stuff such as Bud and Miller. Are you sure about that? I'm not saying it's not, but it sounds high to me.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

also, drinking laws vary from state to state on many fronts other than age and overall legality...

when and where you can buy alcohol... in california, you can't buy between the hours of 2am and 6am (maybe 4am, can't remember)... many counties in the south are dry or have blue book laws where you can't buy alcohol on sundays... and then there's new orleans: 24 hours a day, indoors or out, etc.

how much alcohol you can buy.

the proof alcohol can be... in california, you can't get real Everclear. the highest proof a liquor can be is 151, although there are a few exceptions for imported liquors (Stroh rum is one example at 160 proof)... some states have laws based on the existence of indian tribes in their borders, not sure exactly how it works, but mass produced domestic beer like bud and miller in Oklahoma is 6.4 percent alcohol, but across the border in Arkansas it's only 3.2.

even how you can transport it. in california, you can buy a six pack and walk home with it as is, but you can't have any open containers... in other states, you have to have a solid bag covering it... and in new orleans you can buy it and drink it in the street so long as you pour it into a cup or other plastic container.

etc.

as far as tax goes, each state has it's own rate for taxing alcohol, but none so high that it's unaffordable. just won't happen.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

Quote: "I know if one state here in the US would legalize absinthe, it would be so heavily taxed that no normal person would be able to afford it anyway."

Huh? I don't understand. Give an example of something being legal in a single state and thus taxed exorbitantly.

The drinking age in La. example doesn't make sense (also, it was more blackmail than bribe, if I remember correctly).

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:00 am: Edit

I don't really understand how each Canadian province can be so different from another. I know if one state here in the US would legalize absinthe, it would be so heavily taxed that no normal person would be able to afford it anyway. Just like Louisiana was one of the last states to switch the legal age of alcohol consumption (18 to 21). The US government doesn't do this in a normally civilized way, it bribes states with benefits (from the united states highway department).

By Rudolf on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

So, absinthe is only legal in BC? I'm not too familiar with Canadian laws, but it seems to me that a controlled substance like liquor would be federally regulated.

It'd be nice if I could just go across the border into Ontario and pick up some Deva :)

-rudy <-- woohoo.. my first post.

By Relrella on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 04:27 pm: Edit

No, Hills just got the first ad, I am sure that the better brands will be coming to the liquor stores too...

By Hersaint on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I must remember not to holiday in Canada if Hills is the best they can come up with for an Absinthe susbtitute! (is that Slander?)

By Relrella on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 07:18 pm: Edit

The cost of living is much less than the states... Coming from San Francisco it seems absurdly cheap, I rented a 2 bedroom basement suite for $500 USD in the best area of Vancouver, food is cheaper also. But is is also because there is somewhat of a recession. I think there is a lot of internet stuff happening here but don't know much about it since I am not in that field.

By Magnusra on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:11 pm: Edit

By the way how is the cost of living and the internet job market?:)

By Magnusra on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I see I have found a new place of residence! :)

By Petermarc on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

vancouver was already on the map, nice city...

By Relrella on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 10:42 pm: Edit

It's legal if you live in BC....
there was a very interesting advertisement in The Georgia Straight which is Vancouver's free newspaper. It was by hills and said this: Drink Differently. You are very lucky to live in British Columbia, the only place in North America where you can now order Absinth... Hill's Asbinth available soon at all your favourite eating and drinking establishments... The website about it is www.hillsabsinth.com.... The website says that absinthe will be available in liquor stores in case and single orders... It's quite exciting but unfortunate that Hill's will dominate the market and canadians might not be able to try the tastier spanish absinthe. Absinthe is legal, and pot is almost, I expect this will become a new spot to visit for some people and perhaps Vancouver will finally be be on the map.... Enjoy fellow absinteurs...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation