Victimized!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Victimized!
By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

I will try that eventually (with another vodka)...maybe it just transform the Deva50 in a Deva 70 ;-)

Wolf.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 07:48 am: Edit

I will try that eventualy (with another vodka)...maybe it just transform the Deva50 in a Deva 70 ;-)

Wolf.

By Heiko on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Bjacques,

to add one more recipe which I found pretty useful in getting rid of a bottle of Staroplzenecky (uuuuaaah...).

Mix it with Deva 50 (only about 1/5, not more or you will spoil your Deva!).
This doesn't taste bad. It changes the Deva 50 into "another Absinthe" (less sweet, more bitter) but is still kind of good Absinthe.
This can only get better with everything else than Starop. ;-)

By Bjacques on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 05:44 pm: Edit

If you've got crap absinthe, here are a couple of recipes for experimental purposes. I found them in the New Orleans City Guide, published 1937(-ish) as part of the Federal Writer's Project, a New Deal program.

Absinthe Frappe'

1.5oz Absinthe Substitute (Hill's!)
.5oz Anisette
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with shaved ice until frosted. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Absinthe Cocktail

1.5oz Absinthe Substitute (...)
1.5oz simple sugar
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake well with cracked ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Add twist of lemon peel.

I haven't tried these yet. I tried to look for older posts mentioning recipes, but the search engine balked, so my apologies if you've seen these before and/or think them appalling.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Hi Xandria,

I've got to second Bob's Segarra endorsement. It's probably the best Spanish absinthe. Julian Segarra has a nice website too, if you read Spanish (or even if you don't; nice pictures):

http://lotobono.com/segarra

PV

By Bob_Chong on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

Xan:

Try Segarra. And buy from SpiritsCorner. If you can only get La Fee and La Bleue from people reselling them for over $100 (US), then I'd suggest you skip them and await the good stuff coming soon from Jade Liqueurs. Of course, if you have money to burn and like paying five times retail (yes, retail, not wholesale), go ahead and order all you want from the resellers.

BC

By Wolfgang on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

I tasted Deva 70. It`s good but strongly anised and I would say maybe too strong on alcohol for nothing... But if you want to host a crazy party, it`s a efficient welcome drink ;-)

Wolf.

By Petermarc on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 12:33 am: Edit

try la sala mixed with cognac...

By Xandria on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Thanks very much to all of you who have eased my feelings of victimization. I guess it boils down to the fact that I am a perfectionist, and have been performing a variety of research for most of my life (scientific, historic and other). And I cannot believe that this web site escaped my research a month ago. It's an ego thing. Almost as bad as when I build IKEA furniture (what do you mean I put this shelf in backwards so that the nice enamel end is facing the wall and the non enameled end is facing outwards and looking like a sore thumb... and of course it happens to be the one shelf that is fixed into the entire unit).

Since I live in Vancouver, Canada -- and absinthe is legal here, maybe I can pawn my other stuff off on some local Goth kids... kidding.

Actually, I didn't mind Absinthe King too much... I do not have a sweet tooth, and very much have a bitter (and sour) tooth. However, I think for my first real order I will choose the following unless someone else has some other pearls of wisdom for me: Deva 70%, La Fee, and Swiss La Bleue.

Thanks again,

Xandria

By Admin on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:10 pm: Edit

BTW, I put those blurbs in to molify the distribotors. I've gotten upset and wounded emails from just about every UK vendor. So please, if it says the info was provided by a distributor, do read the other reviews first. Or ask us. We'll gladly tell you what is crap. Not that you need it now Anatomist, yer a salty ole forum veteran now.

But for all those other hapless folks ...

My first bottle as it turns our was Sebors. Kyle had emailed me soon after the initial version of the "forum" went up, wanting to know if I thought anyone would be interested in buying absinthe. I believe I was Kyle's first customer, or very close on, I think I sent a check to his parents house here in the states. Heh. **waves at Kyle if he's watching!**

Kyle also sent me a bottle of Hill's at the time. I opened it, smelled it, stuck my finger in it, made a face, screwed the cap back on ... and there it still sits on my shelf.

But really at that time, no one even really knew that the Spanish made more than one brand, known generically only as "Absenta" ... it was very out of reach.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Oh, also, victimization is a state of mind. You could also think of yourself as very committed to learning... I just spent $200 and two full weeks of annoying shopping and long work days making an elaborately apholstered display/carrying case for my latest sculpture. Upon completion, I discovered that it was all wrong. I hate it. I don't consider the process a waste of time or money. If I had spent the time inactive, indecisive, or fearful of wasting time or resources, THAT would have been a waste. If you have a dogged attitude, there is no such thing as failure.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:44 pm: Edit

I almost bought Absinthe King first on the basis of reading the FAQ on this site. Their promo paragraph was listed among the reviews in a most confusing way. Of course, even that would have been a step up from the first option I found: some dude in California selling packets of herbs that you're supposed to steep in vodka.

K.

By Midas on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Xandria, don't worry, the first time I bought absinthe, i spent an enourmous amount of money on two 500cl bottles of Sebor, then found I could buy twice as much of some better brands for half the price. Put it down to experience.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.
-Robert.

By Artemis on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Marc, I never could stomach LaSala. There was a time I convinced myself it was growing on me, but that was largely because I had nothing else to drink at the time.

I'm not so keen on La Fee anymore, either. More on that later.

That La Bleue of yours was lovely, though. Very nice absinthe.

By Marc on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I still have 2 bottles of the first absinthe I ever purchased, Hills.

artemis,
I actually like the taste of La Sala. But, don't send me any. I have a few bottles gathering dust.
As long as there is La Fee and La Bleue, La Sala
holds no temptation for me.

By Artemis on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 01:46 pm: Edit

I have the same problem with several fifths of La Sala in my cellar. I also left one in Louisiana. In the remote chance absinthe is mentioned by someone who visits the people with whom I left it, they can break it out, thereby giving the victims a greater appreciation for real absinthe should they ever run across it. Or curing them from ever wanting to taste it again.

Intrepid seekers eventually find. Take heart. You're now on a good road.

By Xandria on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

thank you. I feel so silly actually. I have always prided myself on well executed research. I cannot believe I missed this web site entirely while doing said research!

I'm still in a quandary as to what to do with what I currently have. On one hand, I do not want to waste it, but on the other, since there is much better out there...

Xandria

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

Don't feel bad, many of your fellow countrymen are going to buy Hill's unwittingly, when they can buy even better window cleaner for much less.

You have taken your first step toward attaining truth in matters absinthe, and that is realizing the extent of the boldfaced lies associated with the marketeers of Czech products. If it's any consolation, you are not the only one who learned this the expensive way.

By Xandria on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 11:31 am: Edit

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead...

"fairly pricey" = somewhat expensive

-- banging head on monitor,

Xan

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

Ouch....and the worst thing is you can't just pour them down the drain, make sure to call the EPA to ensure that those toxic chemicals don't endanger anyone else.

fairly priced???

Those absinthes cost nearly 100 dollars a piece for something my little brother could make.

By Xandria on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:44 am: Edit

Sigh. Why is it you find key information after the fact?

I've been wanting absinthe for some time, and finally decided to go ahead. I purchased from La Boheme (their Original and Absinthe King). I was so disappointed they didn't louche. Then I find this board!

I feel so victimized for buying the bottom of the barrel unknowingly.

What does one do with two bottles of fairly pricey not up to standard absinthe?

I'll go cry now.

Xandria

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation