Made in the usa

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Made in the usa
By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Judging by the responses I get, there seems to be no clear-cut favorite. Quite honestly, the line seems to run right down the center of all four where personal preferences have been reported. Regardless, there are missing pieces of information regarding certain constituents and concentrations of the elements of the New Orleans absinthes. I say partial reproduction because where there are 'holes', I have filled them with some educated 'estimations'.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Ted, from the impression I had at the tasting I think the Nouvelle Orleans will be your most popular (signature) product... is there anything you can tell us about how the original differs from the "New", ie. what part(s) are *your* invention?

Jim

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 02:50 pm: Edit

That's affirmative.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Is the Nouvelle Orleans the "partial" reproduction?

Jim

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:49 am: Edit

That is correct, TimK.

The name lived on after the ban on absinthe. Herbsainte (maybe it doesn't have the "e" on the end, but it should, so I keep it there) liqueur is still available today. It's a very nice drink, but it neither looks, smells, or tastes anything like the Herbsainte *Absinthe* reproduction that Ted has developed and has named "Nouvelle Orleans".

By Timk on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:38 am: Edit

wasnt the herbsaint thing discussed a while back - I was under the impression that there was pre ban legendre absinthe and post ban legendre herbsaint which wasnt absinthe , but was "served whenever absinthe is called for"

TimK

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:14 am: Edit

Thanks, Artemis

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

" ... was there ever any real "vintage" absinthe made in the US?"

If you mean *good* absinthe, there was Herbsainte, made in New Orleans. See the reviews of Ted's "Nouvelle". Several other absinthes were made in New Orleans as well.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

just saw one go on ebay in a medium sized lot of bottles - I had a small bid too, but jeez, the price went sky high - $130 I think

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 06:32 am: Edit

Ok, maybe I'll sound like an idiot...But, was there ever any real "vintage" absinthe made in the US?

By Absinthesque on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

thank you ted and justin. i was afraid it was too good to be true.

mark

By Chrysippvs on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

I have one of those too....great anise.

By Tabreaux on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:45 am: Edit

Leroux is a large cordials manufacturer. What you have is a small bottle of liqueur d'anise, probably from the '50s. Edouard Pernod absinthe was never made in the U.S.

By Absinthesque on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

I just obtained a mominette of Edouard Pernod - clear bottle, about 80% full, color close to that of Absinthe NS. An interesting feature of this bottle is that the upper, lozenge shaped label reads 120 proof and at the bottom of the classic Edouard label, there is text in English that reads:"Made in USA under exclusive license and from original basic raw materials Imported From Edouard Pernod branch of Brussels, Belgium. Made by Leroux & Co, Inc., Philadelphia, Pa. Have any of you seen anything like this? What's the chance of finding pre-ban liter or quart bottles made in the USA under license from the French distillers???

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation