Outlook for better and more interesting absinthe?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Outlook for better and more interesting absinthe?
By Aion on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 05:33 am: Edit

Has anyone an idea about the actual total quantity of absinthe produced commercially per year.
A.

By Aion on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 03:16 am: Edit

Top quality, authentically produced absinthes are and will remain a niche product.
I don´t think it is realistic that more than
5000-8000 bottles per year will be sold.
Though expensive these absinthes will be a definetly better value for the money, so I will buy the better product(s), but maybe less quantity.
The release of better products will not force the established brands to raise their quality, as they are not in direct competition to the top products.
Just my opinion.
A.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

oh, and the world will end on january 15, 2002...but i didn't think that was important...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 01:17 pm: Edit

almost everyone will know about absinthe by august...it will become a hot trend before the end of the year...we may regret it...maybe not...*
*from a recently discovered book of nostradamus...

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 10:10 am: Edit

as far as any domestic boom goes, i think that people are really beginning to realize that absinthe isn't just some fairy tale, and that those who dreamt of tasting it are finding places like this... if anything, the introduction of new and better absinthes comes about from more of an awakening than a phenomenon. people who always wanted to try absinthe will and will keep on drinking... and people looking for a thrill will try it and move on. the novelty of absinthe will die out, but with a positive effect for those of us who will continue to drink it until the long goodbye.

By Zack on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

Either way, I hope absinthe doesn't catch on here in the US in a big way. If it does get ready for true "Budweiser" and "Shaefer" products...anything to make a buck. And just think about that marketing! Michel Roux's advertising would look like the IEEE labeling on electrical items compared to Segrams and such advertising their "Psychadeic" liquor.

By Marc on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:49 am: Edit

Bob,

I thought that after last year's deluge of articles on absinthe (including the NY Times) that there would be an enormous demand for absinthe in this country (USA). It hasn't materialized. As you may know, I conducted an absinthe tasting a year ago. Out of the almost 100
attendees, only 3 or 4 contacted me about future tastings. The allure of absinthe, for most people, is not the taste. It is the hope that they will have some kind of drug-like (psychedelic) experience. When they discover that absinthe's reputed "secondary effects" are extremely subtle or non-existent, they move on.
From what I understand, the buzz on absinthe has cooled in London. Am I wrong? Or is it still trendy there?
My feeling is that absinthe will remain an acquired taste that is shared by a small but passionate subculture.

By Artemis on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:38 am: Edit

"Will we someday snicker at Deva like we do at Hill's today?"

Speaking for myself, I won't snicker at Deva, but neither will I buy it anymore, in fact, have not bought any for six months or so now. I can barely stomach it. I'm not trying to be elitist, it's just that my taste has evolved.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

I have been wondering if absinthe is really starting to take hold around the world or if it is still very niche-y. If it is starting to take hold, do you think that better and more interesting products will come to market?

Look at how Tabu and NS have come from nowhere, and at least NS has been compared favorably to Deva (may even be better, according to some). Others continue to trickle into our knowledge base here. And of course, the Jade products will roll out sometime.

Does anyone think that (1) the release of Jade, (2) the gaining popularity of absinthe, or (3) any other factor will lead to products which will be better and better but still at a relatively cheap price? I mean, will the Spanish style absinthe become passe for something even incrementally more authentic without having to make a leap of spending ala the boutique absinthe route? If the spectrum of drinkable absinthe runs from Deva to Jade, isn't there some middle ground in there to be covered? Will we someday snicker at Deva like we do at Hill's today? (I hope so.)

I know this is mostly speculation, but I'd like to think that Jade (and other events) will eventually be a kick in the nuts for the modern producers and an impetus for producers yet to be incorporated to start making better stuff. My hope is that there will be an abinsthe revolution like the homebrewing/microbrewing revolution: we deserve better than Schaefer (Hill's) and Budweiser (Deva).

BC

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation