A new Betina fan

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:A new Betina fan
By Melinelly on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 09:19 am: Edit

yeah, as far as the Spanish go, the closest to clean you'll get is Segarra.

By Artemis on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 06:08 am: Edit

"Are there any "clean" tasting absinthe availble from SC? I only have tried Deva. Does Deva 70 have that same smell?"

I haven't tried Deva 70, so I don't know what it smells like.

You might want to try Segarra, but to see what I'm talking about, you really have to try Ted's absinthe, or one of the good Swiss bootleg products.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 02:32 am: Edit

I'm not the only one who says La Bleue is 50 CHFr ($30) in Switzerland. The Buyers Guide said so long before I ever had it confirmed by buying it myself. First time I got 4 one-liter bottles.

Yes, there is a guy who sells it on the Net for $80/liter in orders of 10 bottles at a time. No, I am not aware of the guy who sells it for 50 GBP with a minimum of 3 bottles. But 50 quid is awfully close to $80, could be same fellow. As that price includes shipping, it seems very fair.

By Rtlplus3 on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 07:49 pm: Edit

"That's a very good description. Woody, dirty, muddy, swampy. "Clean" absinthe doesn't smell like that."

Are there any "clean" tasting absinthe availble from SC? I only have tried Deva. Does Deva 70 have that same smell?

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Acetaminophen in particular is very tough on the liver. Ibuprofen is a lot safer and is anti-inflammatory too, which is a very good thing (I speak as a tendinitis survivor, from too many day jobs on computer-and-phone).

By Bob_Chong on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit

Hersaint:

Do you think the alcohol (i.e., in the absinthe) might be the culprit, not the "absinthe," as some magical damaging substance? I mean, it was a LIVER test. Did you keep drinking other alcohol and stop only the absinthe? If so, I'd be curious to know why absinthe alone causes special liver damage.

I had a liver test recently and had slightly elevated enzyme levels from having had acetaminophen and asprin within a few days of the test. The liver can be a touchy thing.

BC

By Artemis on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

"She does not like the woody or as she says the swampy smell you get when you frist put your nose into a glass of Deva."

That's a very good description. Woody, dirty, muddy, swampy. "Clean" absinthe doesn't smell like that. I was surprised at how prevalent it was in La Fee also when compared to cleaner products.

By Rtlplus3 on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 07:16 am: Edit

Thanks For the input. I agree with what you said Marc. I have both a bottle of Batina's and BEI and love them both (leaning towards the Betina). My wife drinks only the BEI while I watch on drinking Deva so as to nurse the La Bleues along. She does not like the woody or as she says the swampy smell you get when you frist put your nose into a glass of Deva.

Let free will and the free market live on!

Roland

By Hersaint on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 05:32 am: Edit

Again I will post this although Betina gets very angry with me and threatens to never speak to me again (which could be classed as a bonus).

La Bleue is available on the internet (if you look hard enough) direct from Switzerland and i paid £50 a bottle minimum order of 3 bottles ... Yes its good ... But a warning to you all who drink La Bleue

I had 2 glasses in the evening and had a blood test the next day all sorts of problems where caused because I believe the absinthe showed up and they couldn't work out what it was ... They thought I had Liver Problems

Stopped the Absinthe for the next blood test and Presto! no more liver problems arose ... (Please note I have not got a liver problem and I am sure this only showed up as an irregularity on the blood test because of the Absinthe)

By Loucheliver on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 01:44 am: Edit

Marc,
Well said!
Rtlplus3,
If you are obsessed w/La Bleue, as I was, then take the plunge on a bottle and savor it occasionally as I have. It's one of those things that if you don't do, it just keeps bugging you that you didn't. I've had my bottle of BEI La Bleue for ages now and take the occasional nip to remind me of the taste. Will I buy another La Bleue? Nope. Am I glad I bought one? Yep. Will Ted and Don's product save us all? If the pricing is in the range of less than 1/2 (Betina's), or 1/2 (BEI's), of the available La Bleues, then yes from what I have tasted of them.
They are very different from anything else, but that is a good thing as they are damn tasty and complex. I am hoping the rollout is soon, as drinking any of the Spanish brands is like driving a Yugo after tooling around town in a Bugatti.

By Marc on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 01:22 am: Edit

rtlplus3,

No, you will not find La Bleue for $30 a bottle.
According to Don, you might find it for that price in Switzerland.
Are there any Spanish absinthes that are equal to
the taste of La Bleue? That's a tough one. Taste is so subjective. For example: my wife, Jennifer,
asked me for a glass of absinthe last night. That's highly unusual, she does not like the taste of absinthe. I prepared her a glass of La Bleue. She immediately complained about it's smell...and then she complained about how it tasted. Without getting into specifics, she didn't dig it. So, I prepared her a glass of Mari Mayans. She didn't love it, but she enjoyed it much more than La Bleue. There you have it. It really is a matter of taste, what you like and what you don't. All the hype is beside the point. Go with what gets you off.

By Rtlplus3 on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Is there any place other then Betina's or BEI to get a La Bleue in the US? Is there any place to get La Bleue for $30.00 a bottle in the US? Is there a SC product equal in taste to a La Bleue? I can't pay $200.00 a bottle more then once in a life time. Well maybe twice. Is Don & Ted's product going to save us all?

Roland

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Chongo! Just sayin' hi guy!!!
CHONGER!!!

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Marc,

Yeah, I got it. Thanks. I've only half listened to it once while I was working on some stuff in the next room. I'm going to Chicago this weekend, so I'll have some drive time. I'll check it out then.

K.

By Marc on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 05:57 pm: Edit

anatomist,

actually there have been a few cases of people having their fairy confiscated by customs. I remember one being in Canada.

I had a shipment of 18 bottles delivered to me from S.C. via FedEx. 12 bottles were broken.
S.C. replaced every one. It was that shipment and my complaint about packaging that resulted in S.C. getting their packing together.

BTW, the FedEx guy was saturated in the Green Fairy. The fumes were so strong, he was practically swooning.

Did you get my cd?

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 05:09 pm: Edit

JJ,

No one here has ever had anything confiscated via any supplier - that's a fear-inducing lie -, and with Spirits Corner, the bottles are wrapped better than Egyptian mummies. On the few cases when a forumite has received broken bottles from SC, they were promptly replaced for free (i.e., this is also not a real issue).

I wasn't implying that you were a Betty alias, I was implying that you were a regular forumite attempting to reignite the pro-Bettina vs. anti-Bettina blood feud that periodically rages here out of mischeviousness. I meant it sort of tongue in cheek, because I knew what would follow. I'm not that much of a hardline 'anti', but I'm not fond of gouging or fear-baiting or dishonesty of any sort, so I guess I'm somewhere in the anti camp. If you must have La Bleue, I guess there isn't much choice, but for anything else...

K.

By Jjshrive on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 03:41 pm: Edit

People - get a life. It's just one person's opinion. Most people try to be civil but I know it's not a perfect world. You know what they say "Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one." Well from the looks of this there are a lot of "OPINIONS" out there. For the record I'm not Betty. Maybe I could have got things cheaper (you can always find things cheaper). What I got is great service, a quality product (another opinion), nothing confiscated, nothing broken.

By Marc on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

morriganlefey,

after over two years of my posting here, this is the first time you've agreed with anything I've said? Wow.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

HEAD? Whaddya want?

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Bob C - looks like you have a fan, or a new puppy-dog, named Head.

How NICE for you...!

-M

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

CHONGER!!!

By Melinelly on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 11:22 am: Edit

oh crap! so that's where i left my dirty socks!

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

...if the "new guy" is in fact a reality and not a figment of Betty's imagination. I mean, why would anyone name a thread "A New Betina Fan," instead of "A New Absinthe Fan," or something like that? No one else comes on here the first time and says, "A New E-absinthe.com Fan," or "A New Spiritscorner Fan."

Something's rotten in the state of Arizona.

BC

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 10:50 am: Edit

For once, I'll have to agree with Marc here - after that thrashing, the poor new guy must feel as welcome on this forum as we women do.

*smirk*

- M

By Zack on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 03:42 am: Edit

What did baseball cards have to do with bubble-gum? What does Absente have to do with an absinthe spoon? It's not a big deal...

By Binky on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:32 am: Edit

After all the SC stuff I had another peek and -- sorry if someone's mentioned this already somwhere what what the fuck is all that Deva & olive oil nonsense?

Am I missing a huge chunk of absinthe history from my brain? Or does Extra Virgin Olive oil have some part to play in the green fairy's past that I'm just ignorant to?

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Oooooh! Chartreuse!!! My HEAD is still hurting from my last encounter... I remember it being about 40 bucks also...

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Netsurfer, nope, i'm not... at least not to my knowledge... whatever that word you used mean... ouch, my head hurts now =( hehe

Grim, actually Chartreuse even at my store with my discount would cost me after tax about $40 for a 750ml bottle. the deal i got last yeat was on the v.e.p. because we were no longer going to carry it and i held on to some in the back while corporate marked it down insanely. no luck on them doing the same for the regular stuff anytime. anyhoo, check out the price at SC it's like under $15 for a 700ml bottle plus shipping... just have to work it into a shipment where it's really worth it.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Only the best for our sweet Betina, Hey our other sweetness is the sweet Cristina... Must be the "ina's" who have the best service.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Me Coherent??? TITTER!!!
Must be the SLURPIURPIOUS!!!

We'll both have to check in the morning...

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Head, did you just say something coherent? or is it the slerpis I'm drinking? :)

mal

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Melinelly, are you by chance kama'aina?

-
Jim
(Relocated from paradise to Silicon Valley in '99)

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Betina is not without her supporters. I haven't purchased from her though I know people who have and her service is exceptional.

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Marc,
exactly what I thought...I mean JJ probably knows that Betina charges pretty much and decided to pay the price - at least he was able to taste La Bleue. I had to retreat, say "sorry, can't afford it" and am still waiting for a chance to give one of the La Bleues a try.

Everyone likes to waste money on some stuff - I just bought a new Epac-Tower for my computer, it cost me about 180$ just to get the system a little less noisy. I recently spent around 750$ on a 21 inch Monitor where I could have gotten a normal 17 inch for around 250$
Stupid, one might say...maybe I should have spent this on La Bleue...maybe not, whatever.

I still think Betina is a nice person (from what I read), everyone who bought from her said the packaging and the Absinthe was more than ok - so only the price is very high, but this is something you know before you order.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Buying chartreuse from SC? Can't you get a better deal at your store?

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:38 pm: Edit

some more math.

my last order:

2 bottles Deva 50
1 bottle Deva 70
1 bottle Julian Segarra
1 bottle Absinthe NS

total with shipping: $160.81

that comes to $32.16 per bottle if they were all the same price.

i was going to get a bottle of yellow chartreuse as well, but that bumped me into the next shipping bracket but even still the price per bottle would've been about $38.

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Bob,

No offence intended, and I wasn't trying to be a Bettie apologist - I'm sorry if it came across that way. Like I said I just had some recent numbers and figured it was worth sharing, nothing more.

-
Jim
(With the embarrassed red face)

By Marc on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Some welcoming committee. Jjshrive is new to absinthe. He takes the path of least resistance and orders from Betina. He loves the service and the product. He's happy. He comes to the absinthe
forum to share his delight. And holy shit! He's descended upon by the minions of the night, their batlike wings flapping maniacally, their glistening teeth jeweled with drops of blood, their eyes cold and dead. Suddenly, the wonderful world of the green fairy has turned into a graveyard ripe with the sickening sweet smell of death.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:35 pm: Edit

No prob Jim.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:34 pm: Edit

aye it seems that SC may no longer offer UPS. when i placed my order earlier this month, i was only offered the air mail, not even a choice for ups. i only noticed because i went to change it off the default ups option and went "wait a minute" heh.

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Grim,

Sorry about that confusion :-( - I corrected it.

-
Jim

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Kallisti - the choice on the menu for the US that gave those prices said "USA/EE.UU Correo/Airmail" and my package came Airmail (quite quickly too). It wasn't sent UPS, and I was charged $74.88 in shipping costs for two bottles plus three glasses.

Just FYI. Like I said, I'll continue buying from them. (Until Ted & Don's is available that is :-)
-
Jim

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:20 pm: Edit

So by "Spanish La Fee" you mean spanish absinthe in general? A little confusing because there is a brand from france that is called La Fee.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Netsurfer:

Grim's right and you're wrong. Don't be a Betty apologist. It looks good on no one.

TWO bottles of Mayans would cost $67.41, and that includes shipping.

So for two-thirds the cost, she could have had twice as much Mayans. IOW, Betty charges three times retail. So my numbers were off. It's still a rip-off for the unsuspecting.

BC

By Admin on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Netsurfer, you need to select airmail instead of ups, which comes up as default. Ups from SC is exhorbitant, but airmail is what Bob was referring to.

That said, Betina fills her niche ...

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

BTW this wasn't meant to say one vendor is better than the other, I just happened to have info from very recent orders with SC, Absinthe.com and Her and figured the info was worth sharing.

-
Jim

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I'm confused...

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Spanish La Fee as in she charges the same for Deva, Lasala, Montana, Serpis, MM (50 and 70), Segarra, Herring, Tunel.

-
Jim

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 08:03 pm: Edit

What is the "Spanish La Fee" that you refer to?

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I had to adjust the figures there, and you were quick enough to catch my error :-(

(Fast fingers :-)

I'll continue to order direct for all but the La Fee though. I was going by their web page on the shipping. I tried two bottles and three bottles; since you mentioned larger quantities I went back and when I tried six bottles the shipping was $228.46, not counting the absinthe.

I'll still order from them (FC), as they were fast and efficient (everything was packed beautifully and got here in less than five days.)

-
Jim

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:54 pm: Edit

So, does anyone know what Levi's are going for in Tokyo these days?

Jim

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Yeah, she's one of a kind, thank you, God.

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Jim,
You fail to take into account the price savings of purchasing from SC in larger quantities. When I purchased my very first order from SC of:
1 Deva
1 Serpis
1 Lasalla
1 Herring
1 Mari Mayans

It came out to $25 a bottle. Work out the same order for Betina.

By Netsurfer on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Various spanish absinthes =$100
Delahaye La Fee=$130
Swiss La Bleue=$200

SC Segarra=$29.56 + $40.23 shipping is $69.79; that is close vs. her $100

La Fee Way Absinthe. is $80 vs. her $100

SC Deva=$10.95 + $40.23 = $51.18 vs. her $100 is 2 x

Absinth.com La Bleue = $164 w/shipping vs. her $200 is somewhat close (absintheworld shipping cost is much better than SC though, but they only have La Bleue and Czech Absinthe)

None of her prices on these is 5 times the direct cost if you are in the US ordering one bottle. And with SC if you order more than two bottles the shipping cost doubles, so even ordering two bottles isn't five times the cost.

-
Jim

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 06:59 pm: Edit

"one of the sweetest most trusting people I have every run across"

How much was the Mayans? You could have gotten it from Spiritscorner for 20% of what you paid Betina.

How sweet it is to...pay five times retail? Kudos to you, JJ Shrive, for reminding us all that P.T. Barnum was a fucking genius. If this were a Bugs Bunny cartoon, your head would have turned into an enormous confection-on-a-stick whilst you wrote this. (Of course, Kevin is probably right and it is a troll by Betina herself.)

BC

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

OK. Who planted this? Somebody didn't get enough fighting on the distillery thread, and just had to bait a little more bloodsport? The Mari Mayans 70% touch is just too shameless. C'mon. Fess up.

K.

By Jjshrive on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 05:21 pm: Edit

As a newbie to Absinthe I would like to pass on my first experience. After reading the article in April Cigar Aficionado magazine I had to try the Green Fairy. I found the Absinthe Guide and came across Betina's Elixirs. I have to say that Betty is one of the sweetest most trusting people I have every run across. She went above and beyond to ship my order (a bottle of Swiss Le Bleue and a bottle of Mari Mayan 70%) to me. The bottles arrived within a week and were packed perfectly. I have since enjoyed some of both bottles and have become an Absinthe lover. The Mari was great and the Swiss La Bleue knocked my socks off. I can't say enough about Betina, she is one of a kind and I highly recommend buying from her.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation