Faked Tour Eiffels on eBay (again) & Further Felicitations to Don

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Faked Tour Eiffels on eBay (again) & Further Felicitations to Don
By Wolfgang on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 09:21 am: Edit

Well I think I'm about to sell SC glass and spoon sets on ebay ... Then you just have to order it after the auction and ask them to ship it to your buyer's address!

This crazy world if full of opportunity ;-)

Wolf.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 06:57 am: Edit

Well, the nice thing about eBay is that you can sucker people with a good conscience. As long as you don't misrepresent the product, if somebody choses to pay a ridiculous price, it's not your fault. You didn't tell them to...

That being said, I haven't ever sold anything on there, even when I saw a modern Pernod carafe and pilsner glasses like the ones I got for $10 go for $150...

By Heiko on Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 01:11 am: Edit

Why don't they call ebay "clever sells-stupid buys-network" or something like this...;-)

-Two 'Absente' Glasses and Spoons (never used - I wonder why?) for only 22.50$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1130450744

-A La Fée spoon with the very "unique eye logo" (oh it's soooo unique...) for only 26$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1131016420

Last week I saw someone offering two empty bottles (one Deva, one Hill's) - come on, who of you was it? ;-)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 07:38 pm: Edit

The SC set (two SC glasses, two SC spoons) on ebay went for $61.01. That's well over six times retail. LOL. Bettina would be proud.

Also, someone paid Justin $46 for a contemporary bistro glass (i.e., the ones that cost about $2.50 that you can buy from Melinelly's store, among others), a spoon, and a airplane bottle of Montana. LOL.

Forget the $800 fake spoons--the real money is selling cheap, shitty wares to suckers.

BC

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 01:36 pm: Edit

i saw it, it was...amusing, if not a tad bit pissed off...the degree in 'connoiseurship'
from an ivy-league school should put people at ease, though...

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

Hmmm..interesting Petermarc. I checked it, and you are right. He must have been getting hell from "our boys" (we're the green fairy mob, right?!!)

I really truly did copy and paste those "blurbs" below directly from the wording in his auction. If you click on his "revisions" link (near the top of auction), you'll see that he has revised his Item Description 13 times, including just yesterday afternoon.

Sounds trustworthy to me...uh huh...

-M

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 02:49 am: Edit

the 'absinthe mafia' has seen to it that the message about the 'absinthe mafia' was erased...the only evidence that anything was said is in morrigan's post...morrigan?

in a related story---'holy e-bay rare-spoonmania batman!' buy it now!!!! :-\

By Melinelly on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

***gives Martin a BIG HUG***

By Petermarc on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 03:04 am: Edit

By Martin on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

I think I'm gonna puke.

-Martin

By Melinelly on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 10:39 pm: Edit

that's funny. in my poem on the "cute absenthe sayings" thread, i was goind to say "Don Don" instead of "Don Walsh"

Kallisti, maybe you should add the godfather theme to the site just for fun ;-)

By Chrysippvs on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 03:26 pm: Edit

hmmmm...that sounds familar. I think I may know this guy, time to get the gestapo to investigate...

By Heiko on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Ah, comprende, Don Walshano ;-)

By Morriganlefey on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 03:01 pm: Edit

The seller in this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1128594249) has recently added some wording to his description to the effect of:

"I am compelled to add a comment on dealers of absinthiana, some of whom form a sort of "Absinthe Mafia" ---these few are a pretentious mean-spirited crowd. I have a barrage of communications from angry dealers who say No. 1 was never made in silver; No. 2 is in too good condition." (Now now, have you bad boys been badgering him??)

and -

"One dealer, who says outright that my No. 1 is a phoney, outbid me for an identical spoon, which he plans to reproduce, and which he uses for the logo on his absinthe website." (Hmmm...to whom is he referring?!!)

And 'Absinthe Mafia'? So does that make Don our Don??

Sheesh,
- Morrigan

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 03:11 am: Edit

I notice that the same design of spoons are on French ebay
http://cgi.fr.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1419930571
with a much lower starting price, the picture is too small to decide on provenance though.

By Oxygenee on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:20 am: Edit

Malhomme:

Contact me directly by email if you like, and I'll fill you in on the tavern-keepers great grandson - perhaps we shouldn't be TOO libellous on a public forum like this one....

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Worse than the "Dean Martin Roasts"???

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Marc, you must have never seen Rickles' stand up routine live, he cleaned up his act a lot for TV. Onstage he was a lot worse than me on the XXX-meter.

By Oxygenee on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Its not a straightforward matter telling real from faked apart - there are variations in the genuine spoons and variations in the fakes as well. For complete certainty of course one should also see the actual spoons, not just a photograph.

Phil has pictures and some notes on the difference between real and faked spoons on his website:

http://www.frenchmanltd.com/absinthe/tourr/tourr.htm

This quite deliberately doesn't tell the full story (the fakers are apparently still active, and Phil doesn't want to make their life easier by telling then where they are going wrong), but it will give you an idea of some of the differences.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:47 pm: Edit

The stamps (Geulon, which is very very rare and there are just tons of them around for some reaons now...) of them are very unususual. the metal (silver) and that they are cast and not pressed. This one even has applied tarnish...very nice fraud.

Atleast we are not dealing MSs, fake MSs are a PAIN to identify.

By Heiko on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 09:25 pm: Edit

How can you tell these spoons are faked?
- Just out of interest, I wouldn't pay that price even for real ones.
They look nice though...

By Marc on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Don Walsh, the XXX-rated Don Rickles.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:55 pm: Edit

(blushing) Aw shucks.

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Who's "...the great-grandson of a tavern keeper near Limoges."? (The other fellow is familiar enough)

Jim

By Oxygenee on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Just listed on eBay are two faked Tour Eiffels with a fairly high reserve: $800. The seller seems to have listed them in good faith, but has been mislead by his sources - its both a little comical and a little sad that he proudly lists the two dealers from whom he purchased the spoons as an indicator of genuineness - collectors "in the know" will realise that these sources indicate precisely the opposite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1128594249

On a personal note, and without making any judgements on the actual argument, may I add my name to the chorus of praise to Don for the fabulous "watch me shove a liter bottle of Blue Label up your ass and give you an enema you'll never recover from, you pasty faced Brit closet case cocksucker"

This is right up there with some of your great previous classics: "you couldn't get laid in a Thai whorehouse with a hundred dollar bill wrapped around your woody" comes to mind.

Don, you have a real gift for this - you are truly one of the Forums Living National Treasures...

Bravissimo!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation