Book Review: The Savoy Cocktail Book

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Book Review: The Savoy Cocktail Book
By Rupert1029 on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 06:28 am: Edit

Malhomme, I agree, Savoy is a great book. Not only good mixes, but great illustrations and commentary.
Try the Monkey Gland:
1/4 ounce Absinthe
1/4 ounce Grenadine
1 1/2 ounce Orange Juice
1 1/2 ounce Gin
Garnish with flaming orange peel.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:16 am: Edit

By the way Oleander is "Nerium oleander". You were trying to slip me a Mickey weren't you? Silence my silly tongue eh?

Ok wiseguy who'll come clean up my corpse with the poopy drawers after your reckless recipe, My poor IRISH MOTHER I suppose???

Shame on you! I'm still just an impressionable young child you know?

I'll drink anything.

Oooh. Look at the pretty colors...

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 11:24 pm: Edit

I do love a blank page...

More attractive than a VIRGIN!

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 11:05 pm: Edit

No, but there's several blank pages in the back for tasties such as absinthe and Powerade, absinthe and Fresca, absinthe and oleander...

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Yeah but do they have the Absinthe and Powerade recipe???

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 10:28 pm: Edit

It's almost difficult to find a recipe in this book that doesn't contain absinthe. Last Saturday, I dusted-off my shaker, turned some pages and started mixing.

I'm still recovering.

The first thing I mixed was a dainty li'l drink named Maidens Blush (No. 2). It consists of 2 parts gin, 1 part absinthe, and 1 tsp. grenadine.

Knocked me on my ass!!! I awoke the next morning having only the very foggiest recollection of the previous nights events. This li'l mind eraser is dainty in name only. It is, however, very tasty.

Among other drinks I've made from the book is the Savoy Hotel Special Cocktail (No. 1). Very drinkable, almost like Dr Pepper, but with vermouth in the finish.

The Elise is also very good, if you're into sweet, and juicy drinks.

One could spend a couple years I think mixing absinthe cocktails from this book (especially if it takes them almost a week to recover each go-round). Get The Savoy Cocktail Book if only so you can find creative ways to use up your DEVA after Ted's comes out!

I think you'll like it.

The Savoy Cocktail Book
Pavillion Books, Ltd.
ISBN 1 86205 296 4
(Paid $22.95 at B&N)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation