Share your drink !

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Share your drink !
By Bluedog1 on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Tumbler packed with ice

2-3 ounces Mari Mayans
Fill with Sprite

Sit outside, sip, and smoke a cigar while watching the sun go down.

Heaven for the summer!

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

:::dual posting in the Thoughts on NS thread, figured it belongs here too though:::

ok... i still haven't tried NS with sugar yet, but yesterday, after reading of "Picon Bierre" which is simply a shot of Picon in a glass of lager... i had to give it a try...

i had a lone bottle of Stella Artois sitting in my fridge (a rarity to find anything other than ales in there), and figured what the heck... i thought about which absinthe i wanted to try it with and figured that the pungency of the Stella would have to have an equally strong flavor to compliment...

since NS has that intense vegetal flavor of "green anise," i went that a way.

i poured about two ounces of NS into a pint glass... wrenched the cap off the Stella... smelled the glass and then the bottle... said "i hope this works"... and began to pour.

the louche was quite an interesting sight. like watching whitewater rapids being poured into a glass... the way the beer naturally whitens with foam intensified by the louche of the absinthe in the bottom of the glass... almost looked like a pint of Boddington's or Breo being poured... when the storm had settled, i didn't know what to call what i held before me in that glass... it was an odd color... like and opaque beer with an amber hue... the slight head of foam looking more like the creamy bit atop a root beer float...

i smelled it... an anis lager punch... the pungency of the hops playing quite nicely with the heady anise... very nice...

then i dove in, taking a mouthful and swishing it around before swallowing... that first bit was the best of the glass. the Stella and NS meshed almost perfectly together. the anise and hops embraced the senses only to be calmed by a sweet malty finish... this continued to the bottom of the glass...

a very nice experience indeed. i'll have to try some different lager/absinthe mixes and see what works best. definitely among my favorite drinks now.

only downside: REALLY pungent burps =)

By Pataphysician on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 03:01 pm: Edit

"sauerkraut juice for his constipated grandfather"

Er, wouldn't that make it the *Trotting* Bavarian?

By Zack on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

I think you just gave away Lasala's secret filtering technique.

By Artemis on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:27 pm: Edit

"It was invented by a co-worker who was sent on an errand: to get Diet Sprite for the party and sauerkraut juice for his constipated grandfather."

The possibilities for misunderstanding and unintended consequences would make even Shakespeare's head spin.

As to the alleged drink, you could get the same flavors by siphoning equal parts of LaSala and Creme de Menthe through an old gym sock.

By Malhomme on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I have never actually consumed the Tottering Bavarian, but have been told that it's taste is surprisingly not bad. It starts off lemon-y, then gets funky with the cabbage juice, then finishes off pleasantly (gratefully) peppermint-y.

It was invented by a co-worker who was sent on an errand: to get Diet Sprite for the party and sauerkraut juice for his constipated grandfather. One thing led to another and the Tottering Bavarian was born!!!

Jim

By Morriganlefey on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

I love saurkraut, but with peppermint schnapps and Diet Sprite??! My gawd...the horror!!

- M

By Melinelly on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

hey, saurkraut juice rocks! i'm serious =) never tried it in a drink before though... that seems a bit odd...

yeah, yeah, drinking saurkraut juice seems odd too =P

my favorite commercial brand for the record is Bubbies!

By Rupert1029 on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

Sauerkraut juice ? For real ? No way !

By Heiko on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

sauerkraut juice? In a drink? uuuaaa....

By Malhomme on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 06:39 am: Edit

The Tottering Bavarian

3 parts Diet Sprite
2 parts peppermint schnapps
1 part sauerkraut juice

Mix all into a tall, sturdy glass and serve “slammer”-style.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:26 pm: Edit

I like lamb's blood and Chambord. Equal parts. Shakin and served over rice. I mean ice.

Peanut butter and Chianti is very good as well.

By Martin on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I like vodka Martinis with a little bit of MM in it. Mari Mayans really isn't that great on it's own, but I've noticed that it works really well for mixing.

This tasted pretty good:
1/4 Mari Mayans
1/4 Yellow Chartreause
1/2 Sprite or 7-Up

Mixing a little bit of Martini & Rossi Vermouth with your absinthe before doing your usual ritual really compliments it. It gives it a little more of that dry bitterness that people have used to describe the "old" absinthes. It really dresses up the less interesting absinthes like MM and Herring.

And last, but certainly not least... Segarra is absolutely excellent with orange juice. Do it with the 1:5 ratio and you'll really like it. I was very suprised at how well it tasted with Sunny Delight (which really isn't orange juice is it?). I bet it would be incredible with Orangina.

And as I mentioned in another thread, you owe it to yourself to try using some absinthe in cooking. It really adds some interesting flavors.

-Martin

By Zack on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Anything with Gin should be poured down the sink (IMO). Anyway, depending on what type of "Whiskey" you put in it, the taste could change quite dramatically. Obviously, there are great variances in absinthe as well, but I guess we can assume they mean something that resembles anise (i.e. not cheap Czech).

Yes, and Gin can be different too... However, the tastes basically stay the same, except it can be "cleaner" or more "flavorful," just like vodka.

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 07:29 pm: Edit

sounds wicked....

By Rupert1029 on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I'm scared of this one from "The Savoy Cocktail Book".

1/3 Gin
1/3 Whiskey
1/3 Absinthe

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.
This cocktail should be poured immediately down the sink before it is too late.

By Ekmass on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 05:27 am: Edit

Rose's lime juce is great. But speaking of Elixer Vegital. A teaspoon in a bit of Ouzo is quite pleasant.
EM

By Heiko on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I'm glad I'm not the only one mixing different brands from time to time ;-)

I started this first to get rid of some Starop. (mixed with Deva 1:5) - I couldn't believe it, but it kind of improved the Deva (only the slight taste of bad alcohol in the background was a little annoying).
The last mix I tried was Tabu with Deva 70 (about 1:2) which is also pretty good - adds some of the interesting Tabu-flavors to Deva without being so sweet and overwhelming.

It is a good way to experiment with different flavors if you don't have the opportunity to make your own Absinthe.

By Melinelly on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:19 am: Edit

can't remember who mentioned it. i think a thread called "green christmas", but they had tried absinthe with egg nog and liked it.

not having any eggnog, i concocted the following which i still partake of on a cold night:

2oz Rompope (Mexican egg liquer)
1oz absinthe (best with the sweeter brands since this is a sweet drink)
0.5oz vanilla schnapps

mixed and served over ice. a nice creamy licoricey tummy warmer!

By Wolfgang on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:44 am: Edit

I also got a very interesting result by mixing Deva and N.S. half an half. In fact I think that's the way I will drink the rest of those bottle.

Wolf.

By Artemis on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:06 am: Edit

"how quickly we are spoilt - only a year ago I'd have been overjoyed with MM"

AMEN to that! And not much longer ago than that, people were happy with Sebor and dosing Ricard with wormwood extract!! How things have changed!

I've been playing around with mixing some absinthes too. Like Absinthedrinker, I've found that the less tasty ones can always be improved by adding a portion of the better ones, and some interesting flavor mixes can be developed.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

I had a bottle of Mari Mayans that I couldn't face by itself (how quickly we are spoilt - only a year ago I'd have been overjoyed with MM) so I blended some 50/50 with Deva and added a good shot of Segarra to get quite an acceptable drink. The bitterness of the Deva tones down the sweetness of the MM and it doesn't take much Segarra to add lots of interesting notes to the whole.

By Artemis on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

Yesterday I tried an ounce of Segarra with an ounce of Herbsaint (herbed up the Segarra nicely, cut down some of the sweetness) and a few drops of Peychaud bitters. Tasted fine but gave me a headache, something that NEVER happens with straight up quality absinthe.

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Try making an Irish coffee with absinthe instead of Irish whiskey.

This was based on an attempt to make an unchilled nardo de Villajoyosa.

Wouldn't think it would taste good, but it does.

By Artemis on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I've tried dosing LaSala with Rose's lime juice to no good effect, but as Peter pointed out in his "lemon-lime" review of Ted's Edouard ...

Well, it needs no mixer.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

Green Lady (absinthe gimlet, based on the Raymond Chandler recipe)

3 ice cubes in an old fashion glass
2 oz abshinthe
2 oz Rose's lime juice

This is VERY sweet, but it is an unbelievible explosion of flavors.

Reviews:

"This is the best mixed drink I have ever had."
--my ex-girlfriend

"I've never had that many flavors in my mouth at once."
--my best friend's boyfriend.

By Joshua on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 08:28 am: Edit

i personally like

3/4 oz deva
1/4oz pernod,
then suger ritual,2 cubes
its very sweet,and anisey just like you would imagine.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 08:20 am: Edit

Here`s the place to share our favorite drink, especially if it`s made of absinthe or other vegetal elixir.

We were talking about Chartreuse on another topics...
Yep, Chartreuse must never be drunk in large quantity but one teaspoon of green chartreuse in a martini does marvel. I still have to try a teaspoon of Absinthe instead of chartreuse, maybe when I will get my next shipment.

Here's my recipe for those who care ; and don't flame me telling "it's not a true a martini", it`s my martini and it`s damn good with smoked oysters ;-)

Wolf's martini

3 ice cubes in an old fashion glass
1oz red Vermouth (martini rosso)
1oz Gin (Bombay sapphire)
2oz spring water (or tonic water if you prefer)
4 drops of lemon juice
1 tea spoon green chartreuse

Wolf.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation