Pot still or reflux still ??

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Pot still or reflux still ??
By Igrokit on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 07:47 am: Edit

any tips on improving the herbal mix of the dicks recipe.
P.s Best temp for absinthe still ?

Thanks, Paul

By Igrokit on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 07:16 am: Edit

Iam only doing a 1.5 ltre batch first go round, no use in wasting perfectly good shiraz white spirit I am not expecting to much first go round, and the pressure test was just to check for the lid seal.
P.S nothing wrong with constructive critiscism

By Don_Walsh on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 06:40 am: Edit

Sorry about the excess sarcasm, but, sometimes negative reinforcement works better than positive.

If you know your way round TIG and MIG you can fabricate a good still, 100 psi is overkill, but, better that than boom!

Be advised that the published recipes are pretty much hogwash. My advice is, stick to 500-1000 ml batches before you go wasting 12 L batches on a bad herbal mix and a lack of understanding of the essentials of the process. And believe me I am not trying to patronize. If this was EASY I wouldn't be in the business, would I?

Best wishes

D.

By Igrokit on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 06:33 am: Edit

thanks to don and artemis for your reply,and don you are right about not needing to ask the question, i realised this upon waking this morning.And i am constructing my own stillafter oberving the cheap crap available.( I am in the stainless steel business , re manufacture ) and it should be a relatively easy task. Ihave started with a 12lt s/s drum that i have made to withstand about 100psi (no leaks)this has a band heater around it with a temp control of +/-1 degree.the band is sealed in its own housing to ensure no boom boom.i should have it up and running soon.
thanks guys

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

I second Artemis' motion. If you have to ask the question, you are not prepared to distill absinthe, and probably not anything else except maybe water.

Question: when making (say, London dry) gin, do you use a pot still or a column still? If you can answer this question, you can answer the other question.

Neither are made like whiskey, or brandy, or vodka. In fact you are STARTING with neutral spirits, and interacting it with what? In both cases, you are interaction the alcohol with herbs and spices. Why? To extract the essential oils. Now, at this point gin and absinthe production usually diverges to some extent, but not a whole lot.

The essential point relevant to your question is, if the point was to get the oils into the alcohol, TRUE, then what will happen if you use a 'reflux still' aka a fractionating column still, rather than a pot still?

You will end up with neutral spirits again, that's what. Or at best a VERY anemic thin ghost of an absinthe.

Go back to basics, and think about your question, and think about the hints I just gave you.

Pls don't buy some damned Kiwi alleged still and think you are going to make absinthe with it. They are designed for distilling, effectively, beer. Mash, wash. 13% alcohol. They use inboard electric heating elements (usually, aquarium heaters) to heat the mash. What do you think is going to happen if you try to use this piece of shit with a high proof charge in the range you need for absinthe, hmm? Might as well soak your house in gasoline, douse yourself too, and light a cigar, pretending it's '63 and you are a Vietnamese monk.

By Artemis on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 07:18 am: Edit

From time to time that question is posed here, and it usually starts a bloody conflict.

Think about what absinthe is and about how distillation works, and the answer is fairly obvious.

By Igrokit on Sunday, April 01, 2001 - 05:39 am: Edit

noticed in the absinthe recipes that they didnt nominate a still type anyone know. ?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation