Pontarlier Revisited

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Pontarlier Revisited
By Tabreaux on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 10:26 am: Edit

Quite honestly, I find it very interesting to read the various comments on these absinthes. I find the interpretations of some of the flavors to be equally interesting, and the guesses at particular herbs to be intelligent and viable.

By Artemis on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Malhomme, no apology was necessary.

I just wanted to be sure nobody would think I implied Ted's Pontarlier stinks - it was strictly a relative thing, as compared to the other absinthes in that tasting, and as I said, I didn't even notice it when tasting the stuff alone.

By Malhomme on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 09:54 am: Edit

My apologies, Artemis. I was working off of memory. I did not mean to imply that *you* thought it contained valerian. I must be one of those damn "unreliable narrators". My post was sloppily written. Mea culpa....

By Artemis on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 08:22 am: Edit

Well, I didn't make the statement that it "must contain" valerian. What I said, or meant to say, was that the scent had a powerful, funky herbal nuance that *put me in mind* of valerian, because valerian has that nuance (to be sure, with the straight-up herb, it's not a nuance but VERY powerful).

I would be surprised if anybody put it into absinthe, regardless of its well-known therapeutic properties, because it stinks. I believe the Greeks called it "phu" precisely for that reason.

Anyway, it's very difficult to pick an herb out of well balanced absinthe. That this is so for most of Ted's stuff demonstrates that it *is* in fact well balanced, unlike the majority of commercial products currently available, IMO.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Ted wouldn't want me to comment one way or the other so I won't. I will just smile a cryptic smile and say, if you want to think there is any valerian root involved, well, knock yourself out.

By Malhomme on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:54 am: Edit

I agree with your statement that the "Pontarlier" must contain valarian. I don't know if it does, but there is something there in the aroma and taste that reminds me of that too.

By Artemis on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

I had a drink of Ted's "Pontarlier" last night and detected none of the vegetal or funky quality I noted in my previous description of it.

This may be just the fairy playing tricks again, but it more likely emphasizes the importance of tasting products *side by side* rather than days or weeks apart if valid comparisons are to be made.

This time I was stuck by how dry it was, herbal and slightly bitter (I used no sugar). There seems to be a distinct flavor of mint, but not peppermint, maybe spearmint? Anyway, it is so completely different than anything else available that people who haven't tasted "real" absinthe are in for a real surprise, I think, and a pleasant one at that.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation