Oxygene is absinthe (according to la vinotheque)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Oxygene is absinthe (according to la vinotheque)
By Wolfgang on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

They said it's impossible to ship alcohol via regular post from France to America. It's FedEx or nothing...Personably I will wait next fall when I will be in Paris and will order a bottle or two to be delivered at my hotel.

Wolf.

By Petermarc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 01:01 am: Edit

it's more of a game now because it has become so unbelievable (also, if i can make this easier or cheaper for others)...i can get two bottles delivered in a week or so for about $70 including shipping...(no, don't place orders with me because i am having a hard enough time just sending out the few things i have promised others...mailing is one of the few times a car would come in handy here)

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Yeah it is great....but almost not worth the trouble for Americans....

By Aion on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Peter,
I would call this ANTI-MARKETING!
Considering the efforts you are investing to
get more information this product must be worth
buying.

Justin,
you were one of the first here who called this
product a must-have! Now you say ... almost not worth. A bit confusing!

A.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:06 am: Edit

ok, i called her AGAIN...she doesn't have any information for me, doesn't know where it is being sold, and she is very busy and didn't have the time to ask the 'right' people about it...she's very nice about it,and thinks it is very good that alot of people are interested in it, but puhhhleeeze! it is almost not to be believed...
'Oxygénée, product marketing redefined'

uh, what's that noise outside my window?...aaaarrrrghhhh!

'you seeeely amereeecans, you weeel nayver find our ahhhbsAnt! wait! no, eeeet eeezzz not ahbsant, eeet eeeez not laygal en frahnz, eeet eeez pahzteez, no, eeet eez not pahzteez...ah, putain de merde!'

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:52 am: Edit

Oxy is a pain to get..almost not worth it...

Peter they are never calling you back...matter of fact there is a surveillance car from Pernod-Ricard (read absinthe mafia) outside your house. They are going to snipe you!

Has anyone noticed Oxy losing its color after a period of time. I have a bottle that I got a while back and it seems the color has faded, it is more amber and somewhat thinner in color?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 06:56 am: Edit

no, she has not yet called me back, is this so hard?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

even though JL edouard is better than oxygénée, it is even harder to get...therefore, if you want something right now, try the oxygénée, it is worth it, especially if you are not paying for shipping outside the eu...or make a road-trip to thonon-les-bains!

By Germanandy on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 03:22 am: Edit

hi andy,

imho it is definently worth it.

andy

By Aion on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 03:16 am: Edit

A question to all of you who have already tried
this Oxygenee:
Is it worth buying 2-3 bottles or should I save the money and buy some more bottles of Ted´s and
Don´s absinthe?

By Malhomme on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Wolf,
Did you ever hear back from la Vinotheque?

Jim

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Vinotheque says Oxygene is 'real' absinthe, but the maker says no. In my experience, never take what a distributor says for granted. Most distributors know less about their products than you do. You don't need proof of this, just go around the net and read the descriptions of various absinthes. At least 75% of them (if not more) are exaggerated, romanticized, wishful, or outrightly erroneous. So far, what Petermarc has reported seems to be closest to the source IMO.

By Tlautrec on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 11:18 am: Edit

Because it is apropos of this discussion, I'm re-posting the following, which I posted on the Versinthe string yesterday:

I too have been trying to communicate with Pernod-Ricard about Oxygénée. Just got this
e-mail back from them:

"Merci pour votre message. Nous procédons actuellement à quelques tests en Europe du Nord avant d'élarfir ["élargir", I assume] la distribution de notre marque. Nous vous invitons à nous recontacter en juin prochain.
Salutations distinguées.
J.-François COLLOBERT
Directeur de Zone Export"

Rough translation: "Thanks for your message. We are currently moving forward with some tests in Northern Europe before expanding the distribution of our brand. We invite you to contact us again this coming June. Very truly yours, etc. etc."

Perhaps we can expect to see Oxygénée marketed soon in England and Germany? I also assume from this planned "marketing strategy" of P-R that Oxy is the real stuff rather than either a high-end pastis or a faux absinthe.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

Yep the absinthe mafia got her.

We also have to keep in mind when we are talking about what is absinthe we have to keep in mind that to most French people anything with almost any species of wormwood is considered absinthe. So in their eyes it may be absinthe and in ours it may not be.

Even if it is not I will drink oxygenee over most absinthes...I like it better than most bleues...

By Petermarc on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

oh, and like i said before, she said it was not absinthe (because absinthe is not legal in france) even though it says 'absinthe' on the label, just made with extracts of the plant, but that it wasn't pastis either...i thought this was already clear...:-\

By Petermarc on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

sandrine still hasn't called me back...i think she was snuffed for leaking info about it's availability and existence...

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Andy

It me took months to get a straight answer from them - maybe I'll auction the letter on ebay as a collectors item ;-)

By Germanandy on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:11 am: Edit

about two months ago i received a mail from pernod in which they totaly deny that they have something to do with oxygenee!?

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

Pernod also called it 'absinthe' in a letter I received from them in answer to a query I sent. I'm not sure that means anything though.

By Wolfgang on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 08:57 am: Edit

I just got an email by M. Liebeaux from la vinotheque. He confirmed that Oxygene is a real, unsweetened absinthe and not a pastis.

They can ship it but he only suggested FedEx. With Fedex, the shipping cost is tree times the price of a bottle ! I then asked for air mail shipping, I'm waiting for his answer.

Wolf.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation