Bay Arean Absintheurs

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Bay Arean Absintheurs
By Melinelly on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 04:39 pm: Edit

bump :)

By Admin on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Okee, I've added the aforementioned folks to the GreenBay list ... you will receive a welcome letter with urls & password etc. Its pretty straight forward with a nice interface, so if you need to change anything, subscribe/unsubscribe it all works.

If you were left off the list or would like to join just go to:

http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/greenbay

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

There's a long article about Moulin Rouge in Time magazine, April 14.

From the article:

"...Moulin Rouge is a post-modern, absinthe-fueled journey through the titular Parisian Nightclub at the birth of the 20th century...

By Melinelly on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 12:52 pm: Edit

ACK! i do hope they don't push it to the 8th... mel and i will still come out, but i'm not too sure about drinks afterwards if that's the case... we could do drinks before the show easily, but Mel's got the Alcatraz race the next day, so she's gonna need to be well rested and unqueasy cuz that's the toughest water they'll be rowing in all season ;)... then on sunday, we're planning the next A's game outing, it's gonna be the A's and Giants, game three of the first Bay Bridge series of the season... which will have a much better turn out than tomorrows little outing (i've already got about half a dozen peeps and haven't made a single call or email about it) =)

hurry up and get back, Scooby... you're missing all the fun =)

By Morriganlefey on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 12:18 pm: Edit

MOULIN ROUGE - U.S. RELEASE DATE MAY BE POSTPONED.
(Sorry to yell, but I wanted all Bay areans to see this!) I've read on a few sites that the release date MAY be pushed back a week to 6/8/01. (Director Baz Luhrman is apparantly not yet totally pleased with the opening credit scenes, and wants some time to tweak them). So our little absinthe soiree would naturally be pushed back as well. I'm watching closely, so will keep everyone updated.

(Oh, another interesting tidbit - the Moulin Rouge film website -http://www.moulinrougemovie.com/mr.htm# - has a links section that includes, among other sites, a link to the Absinthe Webring, of which this site is a member!)

- Morrigan

By Melinelly on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 09:06 am: Edit

cool, thanks kallisti =) i was gonna set up a list myself, just haven't gotten off my lazy butt.

funny how we do things here in california... we've always got to plan and have infrastructure LOL... movie opening... dinner party... art exhibit... garden party... and i don't just mean us on the absinthe boards, i've noticed that's the way in general for all things here heh

while our friends down in austin just say "hey, let's drink" "ok" and there ya go =)

By Admin on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Just posted a message that I'll be outa town til next week ... but I'm trying to set up a mailing list proper for organizing and gabbing local-like: greenbay@sepulchritude.com

Either post here or email me directly if you want to be added or taken off, but once the system is in place, this should all be done thru a web interface.

Here's my list so far:

morrigan, melinelly, scooby, tlautrec, meeee, dr. ordinaire ...

did I miss anyone?

By Melinelly on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

no worries, Scooby. i'm sure that we'll be doing something again. maybe my dinner party or morrigan's garden party will materialize by then =)

By Scoobydoo on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 12:14 am: Edit

Well I can't make it on June 1st :(
So count me out...even though I would love to meet everyone!
If everyone wants to get together around June 22nd, count me in!
Eric

By Tlautrec on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

The restaurant is open until 1 a.m., so 10 p.m. for drinks should work fine. I'll be glad to make the reservation when we get closer to the date in question. Unless I hear otherwise through this thread, I'll assume 10 to 12 of us will be there.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

M,

I don't think so, but we've got Head and Lorne Greene on the case, so I expect the tide to turn soon.

K.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 09:48 am: Edit

Jorge - yes, since 6/1/01 is opening night for Moulin Rouge, I would imagine it will sell out (regardless of how wretched it may turn out to be!) and that tickets should be purchased a day or 2 in advance. Depending upon the venue, we may be able to purchase them through Movie Phone (if you can endure that infernal recorded voice yelling at you) at 777-FILM. Will keep all advised.

Em - I believe Absinthe is open fairly late on Fridays (midnight?) so if we hit a 7 or 8 pm film, then drinks, we'd be ok. The restaurant is at its most crowded from about 7-10 pm, so they may appreciate us coming in after 10.

Anatomist - yes, I've noticed your recent Chong problems. Isn't there an over-the-counter remedy for that?

-M

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Morrigan, any time is fine with me. Just tell me. Is anybody going to buy advance tickets? I don't live in SF, I'll send a check to any volunteer and reward his/her with some "vrai absinthe a L'Ordinaire"

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Morrigan,

Thanks for the invite but I'm afraid I'm a little over a thousand dollars and a few weeks short on resources. Besides, up here in the midwest we're subject to Chong infestations that just won't fuck off.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Chong: Fuck off!

By Melinelly on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 10:12 pm: Edit

as for timing on drinks, if we're going to imbibe at the absinthe restaurant, we may want to take into consideration what time they close... but mel and i are up for anything. let us know the good word, tlautrec =)

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Maddy and David worked in Chicago.

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Madison is now part of the Chicago area? Wow--they must have let you skip Geography at the School for Precocious Pale Young Artists that your parents sent you off to, eh?

BC

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 07:19 pm: Edit

You're more than welcome to come out to Cali & join us Kevin!!

Ordinaire - the timing will depend upon whether the attendees wish to view or imbibe first. I think my preference would be an 8pm-ish movie and drinks afterward (10pm-ish). I'm waiting for others to voice their preferences. And I am keeping my eyes open for word of where and when the movie will be shown. Date is firm at Friday 6/1/01, I believe.
-M

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Damn. Sounds like things are hopping down there in the bay. Up here in the Chicago area there's nothing but the wind, and it doesn't blow, it sucks.

K.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Sign me up!

Can somebody post an estimated ETA to the different happenings (Absinthe bar, movie?)

Thanks.

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Excellent. I currently have (unopened) - Montana, Lasala, Deva and Serpis. Also (opened/seal broken but still fairly full) - Segarra, MariMayans, and La Fee. I'll bring whatever the majority has not yet tasted.

Would attendees prefer drinks first then later film, or film then drinks - please do chime in!

-M

By Tlautrec on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Morrigan -

Will do. And I just happen to have an unopened bottle of Deva that I'll contribute to the festivities.

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

Add me to the list too. I just graduated from UC Berkeley and I am up in the area. Unfortunately, I will be out of town until June 15th; but keep me updated until the next time.
Eric

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

Tlautrec -

Fantastic! Melinelly and I were there just yesterday, and I wondered aloud whether such a thing were possible. It would be ideal if they had a back room or somewhat private area where we could gather and enjoy imbibing on Moulin Rouge night (I wouldnt want to be sitting right at the bar with it - too many symphony crowd devotees looking questioningly and wantingly at us!).

If possible - could you talk with the manager again and reserve or confirm a spot for us the evening of Friday 6/1? I'm guessing 10-12 people, time - I'm not sure yet. And do all bottles have to be (completely) unopened, as in paper seals intact?

Thank you!
-M

By Tlautrec on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Good news, folks. I went to Absinthe Restaurant at Hayes and Gough in SF the other day for a pastis. Out of curiosity, I asked the manager whether it would be possible for people to bring their own absinthe into the restaurant and drink it there. The answer was yes, but it would be treated just like bringing your own wine. You'd have to bring an unopened bottle, and the waiter would pour the drinks. There would also be a "small" corkage fee, and obviously, the waiter would need to be tipped.

By Tlautrec on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Speaking of the Lautrec exhibition at the Palace of the Legion of Honor, according to yesterday's SF Comical, tomorrow night, May 1, there's a soirée at the museum, with music, a bar and Barnaby Conrad in person to sign copies of his book, "Absinthe: History in a Bottle." And, on first Tuesdays, entrance to the museum is free! Maybe I'll just have to bring along a little flask with something special in it....

By Rockstroh on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

A Bay Area absinthe party would be fun. I just moved to Santa Cruz, though, so I may no longer technically be from the SF Bay Area. :)

BR

By Melinelly on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 12:25 pm: Edit

on another note, the SF Chronicle had this to say today:

"Finally, want to be in sequel to "The Matrix"? Open casting is currently underway for extras 18 and over. Call (415) 346-CAST for info."

they've been filming some stuff in downtown Oakland lately. pretty nifty.

By Melinelly on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

netsurfer made a comment on a comment i'd made in another thread about having an absinthe dinner party here in the SF Bay Area, so i figured i'd reply in a new thread just to keep the conversations separated...

as for public transportation, wherever we have it (most likely my place once we get it cleaned and straightened up...) will definitely be near a safe ride home (or as near to safe as you can get at night riding muni, bart, or ac transit heh)

however, that was just an idea... and cleaning is gonna take a lot of work =) just one of these days, it'll happen...

but if you'd like to get together some other time for a little suaree (sp?) i'm sure the rest of us will be inclined to partake.

just last week we had an outing to the lautrec exhibit at the palace of legion of honor.

or if you just feel like goin out for a drink just send an email or something.

ok so off the top of my head, the following forumites are bay areans:

Kallisti (admin)
Morrigan
me
Netsurfer
Tlautrec

ack. i know there's at least two others... chime in on this thread and say heya so we know yer out there =)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation