Absinthe in London bars

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Absinthe in London bars
By tabreaux on Saturday, July 01, 2000 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Be patient Mr. Rimbaud.

By 21st Century Rimbaud on Saturday, July 01, 2000 - 11:51 am: Edit

Don,

Did you say THREE new products? Are they all to be absinthes, or just one?

~Rimbaud

By Don Walsh on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 12:37 pm: Edit

BrO'ben

I DID ask you to take military discussions private as they are off topic on this Forum and offensive to at least some people.

So in that I have common cause with Marc when he complains...although he seems to confuse the (civilian sporting) NRA with the sort of gun business I spent three decades in.

You want to know what sort of pussies the NRA are, email me privately.

Let's get back to absinthe on the Absinthe Forum, or at least liquor, or some sort of ethanolic fellow travelling...

By Don Walsh on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:56 am: Edit

PS to brO'ben

MG-42 was (and is, in guise of NATO MG-3) a machinegewehr, what in English is termed a GPMG.

A sturmgewehr is an assault rifle. In fact they coined the term (abbreviated StG) in 1943-44. Not the first to make an assault rifle arguably, as the Czarist Avtomat Federov qualifies, and it came out pre-WWI.

I had a MP-44 (StG44) but it was a dewat and I never managed to source the replacement barrel and bolt that might have allowed me to reactivate it. Now this is legally impossible in USA. Anyway ammunition is and has been since 1945 -- unavailable. Strictly a handloading and case forming proposition and that's no fun with an fully automatic weapon...

Apologies to the antigun clique for the off topic post, it was not my initiative, merely a reply.

By Don Walsh on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:46 am: Edit

I sold my Title II inventory off in the late 70s/early 80s, moved from Nawlins to Arlington/Alexandria VA, and repped various foreign governments' defense industries till '89 when I had enough and moved here (Thailand).

I did backslide for a few years, repped S.Africa's Armscor/DENEL, Spain's Santa Barbara, and US's Stoner Weapons System (Knight Armaments) in Thailand. Participated in the 1994 Thai Army trials, in which I was controlling (under three company names) 25% of the entries.

Don't even have a gun in the house now. Not that I wouldn't. But Thailand is a very safe place and I do not feel the need.

Jade Liqueurs' products will launch when the Thai government says we can launch and not before. Only a matter of months.

By br0therben on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 09:31 am: Edit

Don
Launch these products already, I'm gettin' thirsty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Br0

p.s. Or are you spending too much time with your sturmgewehr and not enough at the still???

By Don Walsh on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 09:25 am: Edit

Well, one will never get it right with Hill's.

With Deva or Mari Mayans one has a fighting chance.

A pity that La Bleue (not our pproduct), or our three new products soon to be launched, may not be easily available in UK for some time.

The flaming sugar thingy is phony. See my recent contribution to Oxford:

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/absinthe/absinthe.html

Cheers mate

Don

By tabreaux on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 06:44 am: Edit

Too bad that the magazine article (like other recent articles) was full of inaccuracies. I'd like to see a copy of that article. I don't care about the junky products that are out there as much as I do the load of lies and misinformation used by people to market them. I am also amazed at the ignorance, or at the perceived ignorance of these people. When you see a bogus article, you should mail or email your opinion to the editor.

By Marc on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:45 am: Edit

Tonight it's Hanna, a 1996 red zin from the Alexander Valley in Santa Rosa California. It's a big chewy zin with strawberry, raspberry and plum
flavors. Deeply satisfying.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:38 am: Edit

Zinfandel - my other alcoholic love, and the only one so far that has inspired me to write a book! What a coincidence, which one?

(maybe the suggestion of a chat room is appropriate :-))

Absinthedrinker

By Marc on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:26 am: Edit

absinthedrinker,

these are the quiet hours in Manhattan. My girlfriend lies sleeping, my dogs curled on the rug, me in front of the computer with a glass
of red zinfandel. In a few short hours the city will explode with energy and I'll be asleep.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:22 am: Edit

Thanks Marc, I think some education is in order. By the way, are you up very early or out very late?

Absinthedrinker

By Marc on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:19 am: Edit

absinthedrinker,

Here in New York City several bars are offering
Mari Mayans, Deva and La Bleue. We don't sell it,
we give it away to regular patrons and friends. And we prepare it properly. 1 oz. of absinthe to 4 oz. of cold spring water, crushed ice and sugar upon request.

Next time you're in one of those Soho bars go ahead and show them how it's done. By now, they should've figured it out. It's a shame that in a country where absinthe is legal there's seems to be a lot of misinformation and ignorance surrounding the drink. The Class Magazine article, while beautifully illustrated, was full of inaccuracies. As was a recent NY Times piece on absinthe in London. Maybe you can help educate the masses. Good luck.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 02:04 am: Edit

Apologies if this topic is only relevant to a small group of you. I was in Soho's Lab bar last night and noticed that they have started to stock Mari Mayans along side the ubiquitous Hills, probably as a result of it winning an award in Class magazine recently. I got talking to the barman who admitted to not knowing much about absinthe - he actually thought that it was a Czech drink. He said that most of their absinthe was sold at weekends to people who thought that the flaming sugar ritual was worth the 9 a shot charged.

Whilst it is good to see that better examples of absinthe are now being sold in bars it is a pity that even reputable cocktail bars don't know the history of the drink or how to serve it properly. If you order absinthe in most bars in London you will get it served like whisky, in a short glass with (maybe) a lump of ice.

I got to thinking how nice it would be if bars that claim to care about how drinks are served would carry a range of absinthes and offer to serve them in the traditional style. I was going to offer to do a tasting at the bar but my wife pointed out that after three large caipirinhas I wasn't as lucid as I ought to be, and maybe this should be postponed. Do any other London-based absintheurs feel strongly about this, or know of any bars whwere they do get it right?

Absinthedrinker

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation