Computer Geeks Needed

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Computer Geeks Needed
By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

One last time...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 12:30 am: Edit

And I wonder why I don't understand why computers work. You have to be able to translate an obscure foreign language before you can even understand the words that describe the concepts involved.

(Happy to stick with my 5 year old lap-top computer that still works when I switch it on)

By Msjekyll on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Better yet, use fdisk to partition the new hard disk into 2, pri dos and extended partition. Leave about 3 gig or so on the first partition, fill the rest with the second. Install win me on the first part. and all your must have progs that are never updated. rest goes on extended drive. back up the primary dos partition to the extended one and never install win somthing like that..

By Heiko on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:59 pm: Edit

If you have a bootleg copy of ME, it should be a "real" one - who would copy one of those hardware-bound CD's?

If you just add the drive to the system as a second drive, any Windows-Version must accept it. If you can't see it anywhere, it's only because it is not partitioned yet, and is therefore without a drive letter and totally invisible in Explorer.

The standard way to partition the new drive is Microsoft's "fdisk" (just type "fdisk" at the DOS Prompt and follow further instructions), then format the partition(s) with the DOS-command "format".

I would recommend "Partition Magic" (V. 4 or 5) by Powerquest to partition and format your drive - it is a lot better to use than the cryptic fdisk and gives you more options.

You could make an exact copy of your old drive with Norton Ghost - so you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows. But as reinstalling Windows is an overall-cure from time to time, better reinstall it from CD to your new drive.

Every data other than the windows system files can then just be copied onto the new drive using Windows Explorer.

By Netsurfer on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Unfortunately, starting last year Micro$oft forced the OEM's (people who sell you computers with a Micro$oft operating system (some call that phrase an oxymoron) preinstalled to not provide you with a full installation CD such as you would get if you ordered the operating system separately. These OEM CD's are supposed to be made in such a way that they are somehow specific to the hardware upon which they were originally installed.

What you want to find is someone who has a stand-alone copy of ME (or even better, Windows 2000 professional, if you must do Windows at all.) That will allow you to (1) partition and (2) format your drive so that you can do the install.

Remember that the majority of the home-system hacks taking place on the net are specifically targeting Windows 9x and ME. Windows NT and Windows 2000 are a little bit more secure and a little harder for the script kiddies to hack.

Or you could always install Linux :-)

By Msjekyll on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Is the bootleg cd you have the full version of windows me or some kind of upgrade cd?

By Anatomist1 on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:56 am: Edit

Can anyone help me with replacing my hard drive? My old one has taken to emitting loud, grinding sounds intermittently. I bought a replacement: a Western Digital Caviar. The program that came with it was written in 4/99, and doesn't work, and their website is even more outdated...

What I want to know:

Is there an easy procedure in Windows ME or cheap program that will allow me to format the new drive and transfer everything to the new one? Failing that, is there a cheap/free utility that I can use to format the drive and install my Win ME CD?

I have a bootleg copy of Win ME, and it came installed on my original hard drive, but I don't have a CD that will allow me to plug the new drive in and pretend I have a brand new computer. I have tried all kinds of keyword combinations on search engines, and have yet to find useful advice on this seemingly simple and presumably common procedure.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation