Empty Hermes bottle on Ebay

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Empty Hermes bottle on Ebay
By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 08:29 pm: Edit

It's a date then...

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Head,

I'd slit my throat before I'd sell insurance, whether that be the Prudential (tm) variety or the kind where a couple of guys with baseball bats come around and warn you about the "dangerous neighborhood" you're in.

I think absinthe and a burning building would go nicely together, though, especially if it's the World Trade Center (in the city of your choice).

PV

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Hey Vert! Whatcha' doin Vert? It's yer old buddy Ernst!

I think you should watch more burning buildings and car accidents with a glass or two of absinthe at hand, much more grandious... Be an insurance agent for a living.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

note: i do not endorse or condemn this seller...buy what you like at the price you can pay...money doesn't come with instructions as we all know...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

actually kids, there maybe something to this spoon...he didn't spell the name right, it's 'touilleuse' which sounds suspiciously like 'twizzle' if said fast with a drunken slur...a silverware catalogue of the period lists this style as 'mazagran-torse'...and the mazagran glass was used for absinthe (the larger version)...it is a very long spoon like an ice-teaspoon... (if you're using an individual fountain, a round spoon, chucking a cube or dumping powdered sugar in your glass-you mean it's really possible that people did that?-yes!) or are at a bistro and need a spoon for a large glass, this one works quite nicely) i have a set of six that are made by gombault(who made absinthe spoons,spoon-holders, sugar dishes,etc.)much nicer and silver plated with very pointed tips that can really get into smaller, more narrowly dosed glasses (also, i am told, date the spoon to before 1900, but this was from someone who told me the spoons were for jam)i was told by a french collector/seller that i have no reason to doubt (hey, there's already too many to be suspicious of, ask phil or oxygénée) that she had found a period catalog that lists it as an absinthe spoon...i haven't seen it, just the one i have which is a more general description...but another catalogue i have lists a double-spouted pourer top as an 'absinthe' model, which could have been used for anything...also, the most common glasses in period photographs of absintheurs are multi-use glasses and the spoons they are using are just spoons (see my profile)....ok,ok...so it may be a stretch that it was exclusively for absinthe, but it is most certain that it was used at bistros, along with normal teaspoons that you can find anywhere...for now, until i'm certain,it's just a little more interesting...

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 12:32 pm: Edit

...that one doesn't even have holes in it...

I'd rather try to sell a standard fork as an absinthe spoon than this...

By Joshua on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

is this as shady as it seems?i have a funny little pea spoon with that same handle,http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1132515069

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Man, I just can't help myself. I stare at burning buildings and car accidents too.

Now someone has bid *$40* for a miniature, yes, miniature bottle of Montana - my one hope is that this person incorrectly believes s/he's bidding on all 10 bottles in the "Dutch" auction.

Perhaps I need to cut down a little. On Ebay, not absinthe.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I hope you enjoy tracking people's bidding habits on Ebay as much as I like reading about it.

"Who is more the fool? The fool or the fool who follows the fool?"

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 09:47 pm: Edit

There's GOLD in them there HILLS!!!

By Melinelly on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 10:45 pm: Edit

unfotunately, the poor gal who bid on the hermes bottle also has a bid on that EMPTY bottle of absente in a box with glass and spoon...

***sigh*** if she wants absente, i'll send her an almost full bottle for free! =P

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Yes, that's what keeps me from selling empty bottles of Spanish absinthe on Ebay, along with my "antique" thrift store dinnerware, concert ticket stubs, dirty socks, etc.

If people want to spend money foolishly, fine, but why encourage them?

This bottle may really be a collector's item, though, if it's true that the stuff is basically impossible to find (perhaps no longer made?) - though apparently not worth much of a search.

By Heiko on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 08:42 pm: Edit

The vendor provides nice ideas what to do with it: "fill it with water, put it on your liquor shelf and tell your friends they can't have any because it's illegal."
I just imagined how I told this to my friends ... they'd call me the dumbest dumbass for sure ;-)

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 04:07 pm: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1132206952

Not that I'd buy it myself, I'm just presenting this as evidence that the stuff exists, or did once ;-)

The seller might be able to provide information on where it was purchased.

Didn't someone post a while back that Hermes has no A. absinthium in it?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation