Colorado Absinthe Enthusiasts???

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Colorado Absinthe Enthusiasts???
By Anatomist1 on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Prices on bicycles are always going down radically, almost like computers. Conversely, aftermarket bike parts cost at least three times what they add to the value of a new bike in upgrade. This is so pronounced that a bike that's only 3 years old or so is almost cheaper to replace than repair in any major way. MTBs in the $400 dollar range routinely come with front shocks now.

I'm an antiquated bicycle fetishist. I started fixing all the neighbors bikes when I was about 8 yrs old. I am also deeply interested in ergonomics and posture. I build my own bikes. My cheap bike, which I built for about $100 mostly out of parts 15-20 years old, is so comfortable, light and quick that most people giggle with pleasure when they test ride it.

I can agree that shocks are probably necessary for serious downhill and jumping, but like SUVs, most owners never do those things. I can't count how many rich kids I see tooling around town with $1000+ dual suspension, crotch-rocket posture MTBs that barely have the upper body strength to travel in a straight line, or the skill or confidence to ride up a curb. From what I see, most of the money spent on mountain bikes is wasted money, hype-driven gratuitous consumerism, fashion therapy dispensed by cash registers...

Oh, and as far as titanium goes, eating a few less calories per day or drinking slightly less water before you go riding is about a 10 billion times cheaper way to make shave a few ounces.

Anyone read the article in the April HARPER'S on the new Ford Excursion (SUV), the biggest and most ridiculous passenger vehicle ever made?

By Marc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I bought a mountain bike about 10 years ago.
It was a Gary Fisher. It cost $750. It was a nice lightweight aluminum bike. It didn't have shocks.
After riding down the side of a mountain, my wrists felt like they'd been beaten by hammers. So, I spent a few hundred bucks and had shocks put on the bike. This weren't no fancy mountain bike and it ended up costing me over a grand. If you're serious about mountain biking, a good titanium bike with shocks can cost a couple thousand bucks. And its worth it.

Boulder isn't that expensive. I had a great Mexican dinner there for about 7 bucks. Good 16 oz
microwbrew for 3 bucks. 1 bedroom apartments are available for about $800 a month. In New York City, where I'm from, a 1 bedroom apt. goes for about 3 grand a month. Its all relative.

I'll always love Boulder. I fucked some beautiful
broads there, sweet moist flower children.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Also, I consider a 'cheap' MTB something one gets at KMart or Shopko for less that $200. An inexpensive one (i.e., one that will actually function for a while) costs about $300-400. Anything over $1000 is either a tool for competitive athletes or wealthy person's fashion statement.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I wasn't saying that money is bad, although rich people with no imagination about how to spend it seem a particularly sad breed. I was just wondering where it all came from in Boulder. I mean, what goes on there besides boutique-y retail? Also, since I don't have much money, a place that requires lots of it isn't enticing to me.

By Fight4urmind on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

I LOVE BOULDER!!!!! I wasn't around when some of you guys were, but I am a Native of Boulder and am VERY proud of it. I believe that society has given me great freedom from "normal" society. I would have not picked any other place to grow up.....and yeah, I have about 5 pairs of Birks and I love micro-brews...Fat Tire is pretty good! So for whoever has read these posts and has been turned off by B-town.....don not give in...try it for is very overcrowded nowadays, but you can still look past that if you take a nice trip up to Chataqua Park!!! Smoke some bowls, climb the Flatirons...nothing more beautiful than I'll bring a few glasses of absinthe!

By Marc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Why do you have a problem with people who have money?

$1000 mountain bike is a cheap one.

By Petermarc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 07:32 am: Edit

is victor still a ghost town or has it gone the way of cripple creek?

By Petermarc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

By Anatomist1 on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 07:23 am: Edit

I guess y'all are bigger city folk than me. Last time I went to Boulder, I couldn't get past how crammed with people, cars and buildings the place was. I don't think I'd be able to live there unless I had a helicopter. Speaking of which, it seemed like everything was very expensive and almost everyone was driving a luxury car or a $1000 mountain bike. Where did all that money come from?

By Malhomme on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:32 am: Edit

Allison attended CU Boulder before going on to grad school at UT Austin. She loves Boulder. Her brother also went to CU Boulder. He loves Boulder. We've compared experiences and are still perplexed. They think it must be some sort of fluke that I've had such bad experiences with Boulder. And I mean very bad experiences. Could be that we're always hanging out with Allison's trust-funder college dorm-mate. She's a strange one alright.

Austin used to be real cool. I suppose that to outsiders it is still real cool. They've moved in to claim a little bit of that lifestyle, but it's mostly gone. Because they've moved in and displaced all the natives.

Too bad you didn't look me up when you were in town. It would have been good to share some La Bleue with you, and maybe some kick-ass BBQ.

By Marc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:07 am: Edit

I lived in Boulder from 1972 to 76. Fucked alot of hippie chicks,opened an herb shop, sat at the feet Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, read poems with Ginsberg and Burroughs, started my own literary press, snorted alot of blow, ate alot of peyote and spent many nights in my stone house
in the foothills listening to the wind howl down Boulder Canyon. I started my first punk band, The Ravers, in Boulder. Jello (Eric) was my roadie when he was 14 years old.

I have many great and powerful memories of Boulder. So, yeah Bob, you hit a nerve.

Jim, I live in New York and Las Vegas. So, I bounce between a city of culture and sophistication and one of shallowness, greed and

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:45 pm: Edit

OK, Badman. I'll bite:

I don't know what that is. If it means I value personal freedom over gov't regulation, that's me.

Small r? Sure. I like representative government. Read the Federalist Papers (esp. #10) if you're convinced that we need a "democracy" instead.

Does not being big pussy like Phil Donahue or Alan Alda makes someone anti-woman? Because I want a baby and would never kill one, that makes me anti-woman?

christian coalition

I belong to no coalitions.

million man march

Nor am I a black man/follower of Farrakan (sp?).

The long and short of it, then, is that I am offended to be compared to someone as ignorant as Malhomme. The psuedo-clever little string of labels were a bit off, daddy-o.

As for you, Marc--man, I really hit a nerve. I had no idea you thought so highly of that poserville. To each his own.

BTW--since when do we need a consensus on everything? We all have to love Al Gore, Boulder, and Bettina? Fuck that. What a boring world that would be. The less goose-stepping and ass kissing, the better.

By Malhomme on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

"One big strip mall"

I couldn't agree more. That's why we'll be leaving soon. Saaaay, where do you live neighbor?

By Malhomme on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:20 pm: Edit

The best thing to come out of boulder was Jello Biafra!

Perhaps it is a fluke or something, but every time I've been to Boulder it's been Freaksville, USA. Tachyon water, "I'm from the planet of three hearts", kooooookie people making lonesome, windy noises in the supermarket check-out line. I'm tell'n ya: it's a fucked-up place. I'm used to bums, and homeless people, panhandling, get'n high. That doesn't bother me. Why? Because I've lived all that. But Boulder....

(Boulder Creek is a real gem of a kayaking river, though)

Oh, and I resent being compared to Bob. Nothing right-wing, republican, anti-environment, anti-woman, christian coalition, million man march here!

Am I cynical and negative? Really? State your case.

Austin, TX

By Marc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

you're from Austin. Now that's a real piece of shit city. I was there last year for the South by
Southwest music conference. I couldn't wait to get out of town. One big strip mall.

By Marc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

There are some fine poets (Anne Waldman, Jack Collom,Reed Bye) , artists (John Matlack)
and a great school of Buddhism( Naropa Institute)
in Boulder. There's good bookstores, record stores and restaurants. And there's still creeks that run thru town. And at night a sky full of stars.

There are people spare changing in every city in America. And what the fuck does it matter what kind of shoes you wear? Or if you're a rich college kid ? Is any of this important?

Bob and Malhomme, you muthafukkers are so cynical and negative that I doubt you are capable of feeling good about anything. Where do you fucking squares live?

By Malhomme on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I swear the antichrist is being born there now, even as I write this....

Man, what a fucked-up town. I love Colorado, but I'll leave Boulder to the same fate as classical Rome.

Did I mention it's a fucked-up town???

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Ah, Boulder. Home of the trustafarian. Want to meet kids from New York? Goto Boulder! Want to get panhandled by 19-year-olds? Goto Boulder!

Put on the Birks and suck down the Fat Tire.

By Marc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I used to live in Boulder in the 70s. I started the first punk band in Colorado in 1975. I visited Boulder a few weeks ago. Its still a hippie town with a slacker vibe. But, there were alot of punky looking kids on the mall and less John Denver types.Cool.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Lucky? Last time I was in Colorado it was so crowded I went into a funk. I remember going camping with my Dad when you could show up at a public campground on a whim and be the only campers around. I remember when ghost towns were still ghost towns... Last time I was in Colorado, Denver had become Chicago, and every little nook and cranny in the mountains was asshole to elbow with tourists, including me. It was sad, and it made me view a postcard of British Columbia I had lying around in a whole new light.

By Fight4urmind on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 05:02 pm: Edit

No one else in Colorado? Very dissapointing...oh well, looks like i'm the only lucky one around!

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 08:44 pm: Edit

I used to live right near where Columbine High School is now. I still know someone in Denver too. Unfortunately, a 2000 mile drive is likely to cost a fortune this summer...

By Fight4urmind on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I am from Colorado and was wondering if there are any fellow absinthe lovers here? Maybe we should have a gathering this summer! Any thoughts?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation