New absente ad

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:New absente ad
By Petermarc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

they wouldn't let us go out at night, when you're talking about boats that go for 20,000$+...they get kind of funny about it...i worked at night and got off at 7am, so that's how i did the morning rows, could never wake up for it easily...we fixed the boats at night which was an art in itself...would love to take you up on a row sometime, thanks for the offer...just isn't the same on a ferry...

By Melinelly on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

=)

well, let me know if you're ever back in the area, and we'll get you back out on the bay. my lungs are all screwy from asthma and allergies so i can't really row (literally can't breate after a few minutes), early mornings are great, but did you ever go out at night on a full moon?

i know exactly the whaleboat you mentioned. sometimes the Sea Scouts take that one out and join us in races. that's a great old boat... actually, i think it was recently donated to BAWRA (bay area whaleboat racing assoc.) and might be bought by one of the new teams in vallejo... i think that was the boat. might have been another team's though.

anyhoo.

By Petermarc on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 12:45 am: Edit

those are the big boys, we had one that seated 9 with a coxman...i used a one sliding-seat whitehall (still big, more like a work-boat than a racer, you could put someone in the back seat if you wanted, it was used mostly as a guard boat for swim races)beautiful, wood lap-strake hull,about 60+years old... god i loved those boats...made a couple of trips to have breakfast near the ramp or at sam's...i used to row at about 7 am from aquatic park around alcatraz, golden gate or the bay bridge, depending on the tide...it was nice in the morning on the bay, usually calm, the whole place to myself...sigh

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Petermarc, sorry forgot to respond to you. my wife rows with the Embarcadero Rowing Club (sponsored by Anchor Steam beer). they row out of the Ramp in san francisco. whaleboat rowing =) 26' behemoth, weighs a ton (literally), 20lb oars... it's an awesome sight to watch them during the racing season. whaleboat racing has been a bay area tradition since the 1800s. there's quite a few teams around the bay, and they have some pretty cool races (Alcatraz to Aquatic Park: some of the roughest water you can possibly row in, Golden Gate Bridge to Bay Bridge, and a year end row up at Lake Tahoe to name just a few).

here's a site i maintain for the club:

http://www.geocities.com/teamanchorsteam/

in the banner, Mel is the fourth one back on the left, and my father-in-law is third back on the right.

haven't updated it in a while, but we just got a new scanner so i'll be working on it again shortly.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Sad to see this kind of misrepresentation:

http://www.bacchuscellars.com/buy/liquors/absinthe.htm

By Joshua on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

if it wasnt so pricey id give it a go,but the prices mr roux is asking is insane.but i guess somebody is using it

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:36 am: Edit

FWIW there was a shelf load of Absente at Charles de Gaul airport last time I went through (but no Oxygénée)

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:07 am: Edit

as for value, if it were half the price it is it would be worth it... but it's not. if you're going to spend that much on a pastis, buy la muse verte.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

at the store i still work at on occasion, we sell probably four or five bottles a month. i think we went though a dozen last xmass.

ricard is about the same figure. prado i think does a little better. and there's one that starts with an "m" i can't rememebr the name... that one sells maybe a couple bottles a month...

pernod we probably average a case a month.

la muse verte maybe one or two bottles a month.

By Joshua on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

does anybody know if absente is a product that is here to stay,or is it a flop,ive seen it in a few stores a while ago,but i havent seen one in a while.i wouldnt think they would be a big market for absente,i would imagine even an established product like pernod,or ricard wouldnt sell all that well in the united states.does it even taste any good?or is it the hills of pastis's

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:43 am: Edit

Better yet- we can manufacture a product to the specifications Van Goh preferred!

Here's my business plan, inspired by Crillon:

Once it's ready, we can get Roux to have a few for promotional copy and such

The copper salts should make that whole 'refined' thing really take off (maybe a picture of Van Goh in a copper mine?)

Once the buying public finds out what a spectacular trip wood alcahol and toxic colorants produce, the money will come rolling in

We can take Roux's share (he'll be dead of liver failure by then, see step 1)

Sell our customer's corpses on Ebay to medical professionals (they will belong to us by dint of a 'user agreement' printed on the bottles in very small letters, in archaic Japanese.)

Write an expose about ourselves and the horror of absinthism

Option out the movie rights (Val Kilmer can play Ted.)

Write an expose about what bastards we were for killing all these people and making a movie, then make a movie based on the expose of the expose (Ted can play Val Kilmer)

Sue any living members of Van Goh's family for trademark infringement, while simultaneously suing the UN, the US govt, and the Copper industry for not saving us from ourselves

We can avoid criminal penalties by simply claiming that, if indeed our products cause brain damage, we are not competent to stand trial, as we have had our brains damaged by our product.

That's when we sue ouselves for what we've done to us, set the factory on fire, and run for congress.

What do you think? We just need some starting capital!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

hey, pontarlier-anis makes a tasty pine liquor...i like it better than the anis...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:23 am: Edit

Can we talk Miche; Roux into drinking a yard of turpentine?

"Pine Oil Refined"

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 08:09 am: Edit

During their grave-spinning, what kind of RPMs do you reckon dead impressionists usually get up to on an Absente ad?

I don't see why everyone is so disgusted- it's obvious they are doing this for the environment, as dead-artist power is very eco-friendly.

I expect there are plans to feature Picasso next, hook him up to a turbine, and use it to power a giant neon sign featuring some butchered Oscar Wilde poem telling people to buy Absente- which will generate still more power, directed to a solar-cell array, I don't doubt.

Kind of like how that town in Texas has been powered exclusively by Janis Joplin ever since that Mercedes Benz ad.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 07:11 am: Edit

>I just wondered how much money one would have to spend to advertise using the face of Van Gogh included in a piece of bad artwork - I mean there must be some relatives who cash in every time his name or face is used?
>

No, he and his work are in the public domain, so they are free and fair game for any hack.

I suggest anyone seeing this ad "improve" it by adding a speech bubble over Van Gogh's head saying:

"I liked to drink turpentine, too!"

By Joshua on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 04:57 am: Edit

poor vincent must be rolling in his grave.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 02:24 am: Edit

melinelly--what side of the bay does mel row on? i used to row at the dolphin club based at aquatic park...those guys are mostly swimmers, though...told me i'd want to swim, too (forgetit!)... i had no desire to jump in 56° sf bay water (not overly clean) or be bit by a sea lion...

By Melinelly on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 05:52 pm: Edit

ah figured it'd say that. mel couldn't remember if it did or not.

By Franglais on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Ugh. The ad is all over NYC subway stations. It reads, "Absinthe Refined." I get sick every time I see it.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:12 pm: Edit

there's a caption on the poster version though, something about absinthe... i'll have to write it down when i see it.

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I just wondered how much money one would have to spend to advertise using the face of Van Gogh included in a piece of bad artwork - I mean there must be some relatives who cash in every time his name or face is used?

btw sorry for putting the pic directly into the thread - I should've mentioned it's been on the absente site for a pretty long time now...
Don't sue me for ruining your retina, please ;-)

By Melinelly on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:10 pm: Edit

aye, that would be the one :"(
*hands Justin a tissue*

heh

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

That makes Justin sad...real sad.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:57 pm: Edit

yak

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:56 pm: Edit

...I wonder why they didn't include his cut off ear with blood drippin' onto the bottle...;-)

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Are you speaking of this one?

absente

By Melinelly on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 03:50 pm: Edit

at the boat club mel often goes to after rowing (and the place we were married), there has appeared upon one of the walls an absente poster... not the green blair-y one we're all used to, but what mel described to me as a sort of portrait of van gogh, with his face sort of tracing off in either direction...

sick sad attempt by absente to cash in on two fronts: absinthe's artistic connection and the whole hallucinogenic front.

mel was tempted to tear it down, but didn't know who put it up... don't want to offend the wrong people at this place =) it's a boat club, not a yacht club... these are tough guys and gals, boat people.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation