Havel's -- It almost tastes like Absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Havel's -- It almost tastes like Absinthe
By Absinthesque on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 07:46 pm: Edit

ps. i should have added that the color is pretty close to ns. . .pretty comforting when compared to the other czech potions.

m

By Absinthesque on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 04:42 pm: Edit

Here's a review of Havel's Absinthe. My wife brought a couple of minis back from Prague, and the above was her comment.

The front label reads: "Special Quality, Havel's Absinth, Extra Highest Level of Thujone, 60%, Product of the Czech Republic". The bottler is "President's Group". . .LOL.

I've not tried Sebor, but my guess is that Havel's is roughly comparable. I put the mini in the freezer for a couple of hours. Sampled neat, it has a slight herbal taste, a faint chemical aftertaste and a bit more bitterness than the NS, which we used for comparison purposes. There was the faintest hint of a louche when we added water. The taste isn't bad...some anise overtones, a bit more bitterness and less licorice flavor than the spanish brands, but not nearly the complexity and not much of an herbal quality. Unlike any of the Spanish brands or La Bleues I've tried, the water diminishes the complexity of the flavor, leaving the drink thinner rather than more interesting. It's not quite as sweet as the Spanish or Swiss/French brands and might profit from the addition of sugar.

On the whole, it's really not bad, particularly compared with the other Czech brand I reviewed last week. If you happen to be in Prague, it may be your best option. . .Moreover a mini only runs about $1.00, American. My wife said it helped her sleep off her jet lag very effectively.

Mark

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation