Oh the places we'll go!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Oh the places we'll go!
By Zack on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

"In that you are right; but to say someone had to drink Absinthe to create the green faerie is thoroughly unromantic. Perhaps, then, that is why she has not yet come to you. Don't be so logical, it annoys her like any other muse."

My appeal to the Mousa logikos:
If the "green faerie" is a sealed bottle of Deva, then that is "thoroughly unromantic."

I guess you could be romantic with a bottle, but thats a whole different website...

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

Juan,

you said "don't be so logical, it annoys her like any other muse."

You're absolutely right on that. I guess this is why there have been so many arguments on the secondary effects topic on the forum. If somebody says he thought he melted with the floor (or some metaphor like that, just as an example), others will attack him that he shouldn't talk crap and that it's not possible to feel something like that from absinthe. It's just a matter of how you let yourself fall into an experience - and from what I read, I sense you are very well able to do so.
The moment to drink it does not have to be "the perfect moment" (I guess you could wait for that "perfect moment" for the next one hundred years, as it will never come).

Just relax, prepare a glass of Segarra with some sugar, look out the window, enjoy the beauty of this world and imbibe with pleasure. You'll see you enjoy it, no matter if it's exactly the same Absinthe that Oscar Wilde had, or not. You cannot have the exact same feelings as somebody else anyways - but I'm sure you will understand descriptions of certain feelings better after that glass (or maybe the next one, which is probably going to follow...).

There's no reason to fear any "bad experiences" - Absinthe is NOT (like it's sometimes advertised) "hallucinogenic" and NOT a dangerous poison. Actually, people who are less sensitive to subtle feelings don't experience anything at all. But I'm pretty sure you are amongst those who do experience something - let us know if you did when you had some Segarra!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 04:10 am: Edit

"What I want is what Oscar Wilde drank."

If what you want is something historically accurate, it does not exist (yet) in the modern commercial absinthes. That will change soon though.

"And seeing as castration is low on my list of "fun things to do" I'll stay away from bitter blue fairies.( And just so know, that does not mean "La Bleau" right?)"

No, I was referring to the ridiculous blue tint of some of the obviously poorly colored Czech attempts.

By Petermarc on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:10 am: Edit

uh, question? what in the hell are you talking about?

By Marquedeazul on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 01:20 am: Edit

Well you know Zack perhaps your right in a few things. What I want is what Oscar Wilde drank. I want the same poison running through my veins, giving me life. In that you are right; but to say someone had to drink Absinthe to create the green faerie is thoroughly unromantic. Perhaps, then, that is why she has not yet come to you. Don't be so logical, it annoys her like any other muse.

Also I guess I should refrain from telling you guys what is "truth" seeing as "I'm new here ‘round these parts." If you say Absinthe is more then just the sum of it's parts, then so be it. And seeing as castration is low on my list of "fun things to do" I'll stay away from bitter blue fairies.( And just so know, that does not mean "La Bleau" right?)

Hum. . .Ah yes the two bottles I have, are a bottle of Deva and a bottle of Segarra. And no I have not yet tried them. Because when I was not looking a sore throat attacked me and has not let go of it's grip. I have gone out and bought a Eric Satie CD. Damn that's pretty good, Gnossiennes 1 was an eye opener. The way a note would hang there, Satie making sure you payed attention to every note. As they are all important.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 02:18 am: Edit

i DO agree...

By Ekmass on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 01:28 am: Edit

I am happy to hear you guys in the south are having nice weather. By my count it has rained here in Paris for 2 and a half weeks straight. One of the few consolations is that Justin's little package finally arrived and I will be 30 next week. Good time to have a party.
So have you had your drink yet M. let us know

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 06:05 am: Edit

If it's any consolation to you, if you actually placed the order, you will receive a confirmatory email from the secure server entitled something like "Confirmacion de Pago". This is usually followed in a day or two by a 'Thank You' email from Spirits Corner. If you did not get either of these, you did not place the order. Meanwhile, have another glass of Deva and toast the beautiful weather we are having here on the 'good end' of I-55.

By Msjekyll on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 10:23 pm: Edit

"DRINK! DRINK DRINK DRINK!"

As I sit here watching my glass of Deva (on the rocks, I it like cold,) getting watered down, and losing it's lovely louche, I find myself thinking of the three bottles coming soon from SC I recently ordered to broaden my palette's horizons.
But there is one teeny problem, I can't remember if I actually placed the order now, after only two glasses. Did I just decide on which brands I wanted to try, or did I actually order it? I really had to think there, but no, I do remeber odering it. Anyway, I concur with the preceding statement.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

"I believe Verlaine would have drunk piss from an old shoe if it had some alcohol and sugar in it."

Only if it were from the yong Rimbaud....

Anyone know a good biography of this bugger?

By Tabreaux on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 10:47 am: Edit

"You know, Verlaine was not just looking at the bottle, he was drinking it."

I believe Verlaine would have drunk piss from an old shoe if it had some alcohol and sugar in it.

A quest for modern commercial absinthe may as well be a quest for Marc, Chacaca, Pisco, or any other liquor that takes a little more effort to obtain, but certainly is obtainable. A quest for the liqueur "absinthe", that was immensely popular in days of old is something significantly different however, and is virtually impossible to obtain at this point in time.

In a quest for beer, some will be content with a cheap malt liquor, while others want Paulaner. In a quest for wine, some will be content with Boone's Farm, while others want a fine Bordeaux. In a quest for champagne, some will be content with Andre, while others want at least Moet. In the same way, although you may not be a "horny frat boy", what you buy may be intended for the horny frat boys and such, and this is certainly reflected in the quality and content therein. This is plainly reflected in the "Buyer's Guide". As you can see, it is all relative, and everything does have it's place, from the best of the best, to the worst of the swill which is not legitimate absinthe anyway (e.g. the 'Bitter Blue Absinth Fairy', which wants to castrate you).

By Wolfgang on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 08:53 am: Edit

O romantic!

You know, Verlaine was not just looking at the bottle, he was drinking it. You want to feel strangely anachronic and poetic ? Do like Verlaine and drink the stuff!

First glass will probably taste funny but if you don't hate anise, you well finally like it. Pour another glass, listen to music you like, (re-)read some Baudelaire by the candle light. Drink more, more more until you're drunk of it. Then, maybe you will dream of the Dame-verte...or at least have a good time ;-)

wolf.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 08:47 am: Edit

Say then 'style of absinthe.'

Czech is not Spanish is not Jade Liquers (Ted's) is not La Bleau. All absinthe, but each is different and has it's own wonders to offer. Mind you, Ted's is the bestest in the opinion of just about everybody that's had it who's expressed one, but that's not to say the others don't have their place.

Try em all- but look to the buyers guide for guidance, cause there is some real poopy stuff out there waiting for the unwary.

By Artemis on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 06:57 am: Edit

"Petermarc if I'm not mistaken I believe what is commercially available is real Absinthe."

You are mistaken, and Petermarc is correct, in one important sense. All of the commercially available absinthes suffer from one or more manufacturing mistakes or shortcuts that make it very much unlike what was revered as "absinthe" in former times. That's what Peter meant by "real", and I know he's right because I know he's had "real" (correctly made, no shortcuts) absinthe.

"Sure every one has there own recipe but it's all still Absinthe, if the same ingredients are used"

Nothing could be further from the truth. It's not merely a matter of recipe. It's NOT all absinthe. When you've had real absinthe, you will be as hesitant as others here are to call that other stuff absinthe. I once thought as you do and even said so here, getting in Ted Breaux's face, etc. I was wrong. He was right. Peter is right.

By Zack on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 12:05 am: Edit

Well, while the absinthe you have is "absinthe" by todays standards, it's probably not the absinthe you are searching for (although, we still don't know what kind you have). The green fairy you want, the one you have read about, is still out there.

I know why you feel differently though, it's the whole Distance/Involvement paradigm. However, if you think about it, you have not "possessed" the green fairy. The "green fairy" is not the absinthe itself. Someone first had to drink absinthe before there was ever a green fairy. I have enjoyed several absinthes and she has still not revealed herself to me.

The romance is not over, my friend. Just because you have her number doesn't mean she will pick up.

Maybe one day she will pick me up...

By Marquedeazul on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Thank you for the kind words, . . .but allow me to clarify a few things. Petermarc if I'm not mistaken I believe what is commercially available is real Absinthe. Sure every one has there own recipe but it's all still Absinthe, if the same ingredients are used. (Of course people can slip some dye into Ever Clear call it Absinthe and watch the posers drop like flies. But that's for another thread.)
Oh and the quest is over. I thought this was an extinct drink, one that I could never posses. The green faerie was a myth. She is not suppose to be tangible. And yet I hold her in my arms. . .sure she is still sealed, but I have it. It turns out that the windmills were giants after all. And so this exit is an entrance elsewhere. But make no mistake this journey is over.

Ekmass you are right about one thing, longing is much more romantic then possessing.

Ah' dear sweet Miss. La Fey, any question that begins with "Why" is never simple. And there in lies the problem. I could never just down it like some horny frat boy. The time has to be right before there can be a release. As for the whole; sirens, screaming bunnies, cold shower thing. Well can't say that is my cup of tea, I'm having a hard time trying to resist the siren song from the faerie. And well, can't say my "friends" would be able to grasp this part of me. I am in L.A. you know, the land of the three inch swimming pool.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

I would be really impressed if you displayed it prominently in your apartment - say, on four foot pedestal right in the center of your living room. Yet, instead of actually drinking it, you merely went on wanting to drink with ever-increasing intensity, fueled by steely denial. Perhaps you could set up Midas' ritual, open the bottle, smell the contents, and then stop the instant before you poured. Have a friend at the ready to turn on all the lights in the house, change the music to the sound of sirens or screaming bunny rabbits, and quickly hustle you into an ice cold shower. Better yet, have some friends tie you up and drink the contents right in front of you, all conversations just slightly out of earshot, repeatedly asking if you want some, but never actually giving you any. Well... you get the idea.

By Midas on Saturday, April 14, 2001 - 01:40 am: Edit

DRINK! DRINK DRINK DRINK!
But the first taste should be a memorable experience. Light some candles, put on some Satie, pour slowly, and enjoy the moment ("ooh, you wanker!" I hear you cry).
-midas

By Rupert1029 on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Marquedeazul, tell us what brands you and we'll tell you whether to drink it or not.

As it stands with out knowing the brands, my advice is:

"for crying out loud...drink up !"

By Morriganlefey on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

"This is exquisite torture, and I'm not sure how it should end. "

I echo Ekmass in asking, perhaps an overly simplistic question - Why does it have to END? (Some of us RELISH exquisite torture!! *wink*)

- Morrigan

By Ekmass on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 02:53 am: Edit

M, I too was like you, but as Petermarc syas, your quest is not over, just on a new level. Do drink up but know that you are now only scratching the surface of actually "drinking absinthe". While probably the most romantic part of your journey is at an end, there is still more to come and more to be interested in as you get to know the drink. Think of it like sex. At first you are a virgin, only thinking how to have it, but once you start, it develops and many more doors open. Keep in touch, and chin, chin!
EM

By Petermarc on Friday, April 13, 2001 - 12:40 am: Edit

your quest isn't over, nothing commercially available (yet) is really absinthe...but, at least it's a start...depending on what you chose, don't be totally put off by it, though spanish is much better than czech...a part of the team? if you haven't already figured out that this is an individual pursuit, you haven't read enough threads...

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Drink up! And let us know what you bought, how you liked the taste, etc.

Cheers,

BC

By Marquedeazul on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Hello,
Um. . .well let me introduce my self. I am 22 and hail from the city of Los Angeles. I have been interested in the beautiful green poison for quite some time now. She would always come up in English classes; almost always as a footnote, always as a wish. In college it got a little better. . .but inept professors were confused at any question that did not fall within their realm of expertise. "Yes, sir I understand that opium was more popular at the time, but it says here that he also drank something called. . . Well no sir but I thought that. . . Um. . . No it did not answer my question. . . Somehow I doubt you could."
Well my quest for information hit its height when I found History in a bottle. I ripped it apart taking all I could, trying to see if I could glean some info on what it is was like to taste her. But the book, while full of information, is quite dry. And of course it did not help when the author of the book goes on a little adventure just to score. At that point I thought, if he is having this kind of trouble just to taste Absinthe, (something he had been writing about.) then really there was no hope for me. But thank gOD I was wrong.
Then I found you, just setting here in your own "cul-de-sac" on the web. And that was a few weeks ago. Now I sit here writing this, in front of me two lovely sealed bottles of Absinthe. Brought to me by the fine folks at SC. But now that my quest is over. . . I don't know if I want to take that last step. Be apart of the team. Join the ranks. Become one. . . Well of course I will, but I don't know. This is exquisite torture, and I'm not sure how it should end.
I know if any one could help me this dilemma you guys can.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation