Sad news -- marc and some others will care.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Sad news -- marc and some others will care.
By Frater_Carfax on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I remember seeing the Ramones when they toured as part of the Big Day Out festivals in Australia back in the early nineties...god damn that was the most intense (yet strangely safe and enjoyable!) mosh pit I have ever been in.

I liked that you didn't hear twenty or so different songs, but essentially the same song played twenty different ways...:-)

..or was it thirty songs..maybe forty

And there was never more than a 5 second gap between songs....

Gabba Gabba Hey!

Jonathan

By Joshua on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 10:24 am: Edit

i was too young to ever see the ramones in their prime,but i have always loved their music.true pioneers they were.wow 49 is so young to die,i never even knew the man was sick.

By Melinelly on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

it's 9:30am, i'm at work, but dammit i need a drink.

this morning when i was picking out cds to bring to work, i had this insane urge to grab some ramones... but i didn't... don't know why. a couple weeks ago, we had elected ramones as our official fundraising music.

***sigh***

"we're a happy family. we're a happy family. we're a happy family. me, mom, and daddy!"

By Melinelly on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 09:26 am: Edit

FUCK!

:'(

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit

Goddammit! I don't want Joey Ramone to be dead.

Fucking mortal coil. Who's idea was it, this finite meat puppet thing? This just when you get started it's time to take a dirt nap bullshit?

Do you suppose when Death comes, it minds if you give it the finger?

I saw the Ramones at a club here called the Metron (which they just turned into a church!) that was closed shortly after- too many patrons left in body bags.

Tonight, I will listen to the ringing in my ears fondly, raise a glass, and scream along to the songs until my neighbors beat on the walls in frustration.

"I don't wanna be buried, in a pet sematary, don't want to live my life again..."

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 07:35 am: Edit

Mmmmm... Wheat Germ!!!

By Absinthesque on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 03:08 am: Edit

god, i remember the first time i saw the ramones. it was early in '76, a bit before the first album came out. i was a high-school junior and had become a cbgb habituee after discovering patti smith the previous year. i'd seen some of the artier, softer bands -- talking heads, television. actually that's when the romance of absinthe first to hold of me. . .anyway, the ramones were like nothing i'd ever seen or heard before. 20 minutes of pure sonic assault. . .no stage patter, just joey announcing the names of the songs or johnny yelling "1-2-3-4" before they slammed into the next number. no guitar solos just a pure wall of sound. my ears were ringing for days. they were the least arty band i'd ever encountered, and their art was the purest. rock 'n' roll haiku...even though there were times when i loved other bands more, they were the quintessence of that scene.

though it's been a couple of years since i went to one his downtown extravaganzas, i always figured i'd be able to catch him sing "be my baby" with ronnie spector one more time. . .

new york city really had it all. . .

mark

By _Blackjack on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Ah, hell...

By Admin on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

When I saw this message I yelped and called my closest friend for the past 15 years ... the Ramones meant so much to me growing up and it always felt so exciting idolizing unlikely heroes. They were my first live concert at fourteen, at which I received a bloody nose from an enthusiastic dancer. I was sooo proud of it.

In 9th grade we did the rock n roll high school thing and took over the loudspeaker system (with a conspiring teachers help) and blared, well "rock n roll high school" over the system at lunch time.

Here's to you, Joey *clink!*

By Marc on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 10:22 pm: Edit

My band's first gig was opening for The Ramones
in Denver in 1977. Watching their show that night was a religious experience. Pure unadulterated
rock and roll. I saw Joey off and on over the years in New York. In the 80's he was often drunk.
In the 90's looking good and focused. He was a lovely cat, humble and very supportive of young bands. He had the soul of an artist and a rock and roll heart. Joey Ramone was and will remain a major influence on rockers everywhere.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Very sad news. Rest in peace (?), Joey.

Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat
Beat on the brat with a baseball bat
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh-oh...

I think I'll call a DJ or two tonight.

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Absinthesque - glad you put up this post. I just heard the news and was about to post something myself. The Ramones were an integral part of my formative (high school) years. I'll miss the ugly bugger.

Gabba gabba hey Joey,

- Morrigan

By Absinthesque on Sunday, April 15, 2001 - 07:59 pm: Edit

i knew joey a little. . .i'll miss him.

mark

Punk Rocker Joey Ramone Dead at 49

By LARRY McSHANE
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (April 15) - Singer Joey Ramone, the punk rock icon whose signature yelp melded with the Ramones' three-chord thrash to launch an explosion of bands like the Clash and the Sex Pistols, died Sunday. He was 49.

Ramone, the gangly lead singer with the leather jacket, tinted glasses and permanently-torn jeans, was hospitalized in March 2001 with lymphoma. His death was confirmed Sunday by Arturo Vega, the Ramone's longtime artistic director.

The Ramones - its four members adopted the common last name after forming the band in 1974 - came out of Queens, a motley collection of local losers with limited musical skills. Joey became the lead singer only after his drumming proved too rudimentary to keep up with his bandmates' thunderous riffs.

While British bands such as the Sex Pistols and Clash received the media attention once punk rock exploded, both were schooled by the Ramones' tour of England that began on the U.S. Bicentennial - July 4, 1976.

''They changed the world of music. They rescued rock and roll from pretentiousness and unnecessary adornments,'' said Vega.

Their ''do-it-yourself,'' garage-rock influence still echoes today in bands like Green Day and the Offspring. The low-tech Ramones spent just two days and $6,000 recording their 1976 debut album.

''They're the daddy punk group of all time,'' said Joe Strummer, lead singer of the Clash, in a recent Spin magazine interview.

Despite their influence and critical acclaim, the Ramones never cracked the Top 40.

Bruce Springsteen, after seeing the Ramones in an Asbury Park, N.J., club, wrote ''Hungry Heart'' for the band - but his manager convinced The Boss to keep the eventual hit single.

The Ramones' best-known songs reflected their twisted teen years in Queens: ''Beat on the Brat,'' ''I Wanna Be Sedated,'' ''Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue,'' ''Teenage Lobotomy,'' ''Sheena Is a Punk Rocker.''

Joey Ramone was born Jeffrey Hyman on May 19, 1951. His career started during the early 1970s glam-rock era, when he played in several New York bands - occasionally under the name Jeff Starship.

But his collaboration with Dee Dee, Johnny and Tommy Ramone was something special. They became fixtures in downtown clubs like CBGBs and Max's Kansas City, joining fellow punkers like Patti Smith and Richard Hell.

The scene eventually produced commercially successful bands like Blondie and the Talking Heads.

The Ramones recorded their first album of two-minute, three-chord blasts in February 1976. The band then earned a loyal cult following with a seemingly endless string of tours where they would crank out 30 songs in 90 minutes.

In 1979, Joey and the band appeared in the Roger Corman movie ''Rock N' Roll High School,'' contributing the title song to the soundtrack. They also did the title track for the film ''Pet Semetary,'' based on the book by Ramones fan Stephen King.

Their last real stab at commercial success came in a bizarre 1980 collaboration with producer Phil Spector - a session that bassist Dee Dee Ramone recalled most for Spector's pulling a gun on the band inside his Beverly Hills mansion.

Joey eventually wound up singing a syrupy version of Spector's classic ''Baby, I Love You'' - the strangest recording of the band's 22-year career. The Spector-produced ''End of the Century'' did become the Ramones' best-selling record, hitting No. 44 on the charts.

Five years later, the band released ''Bonzo Goes to Bitburg'' - Joey Ramone's angry rant about President Reagan's visit to a German military cemetery.

The Ramones disbanded in 1996 after a tour that followed their final studio album, ''Adios Amigos.'' A live farewell tour album, ''We're Outta Here!'', was released in 1997.

Since the band's demise, Joey Ramone kept a fairly low profile - occasionally popping up to perform or host shows at Manhattan clubs, making occasional radio show appearances, and working on a solo album that was never released.

AP-NY-04-15-01 2211EDT

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation