Segarra Questions

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Segarra Questions
By Martin on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:19 pm: Edit

I think the best way to drink Herring is neat over ice. Segarra is pretty much my favorite (for good reasons), but I will always enjoy a nice (refreshing!) glass of Herring.

And its been a long time since I had any Sebor, I'm tempted to order some and get reaquainted with it now that I've tried so many other brands. I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to Segarra, but I remember it being very good regardless. I kinda miss it.

-Martin

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 07:22 am: Edit

Aion,

I just found out Herring isn't that bad (not at all so to say) if you add sugar to it. It then gets less watery when diluted. I can't really remember Montana and the Lasala anymore (only had one glass of each when I had no further experience), but I enjoy having a line-up of Deva, Serpis, MariMayans 50 and Herring now, so I can have a glass of the one that fits my mood. They're all about the same quality in my opinion, although they taste different (well, add sugar to MM 50 and it tastes like Deva...almost).

Segarra of course has its special place in my closet - only to be touched for rewarding myself :-)

By Bob_Chong on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit

Maybe move the rumored and defunct offerings (Partus? Extase?) and the inferior ones to the bottom.

By Aion on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Bob,
totally agree, but Herring has to be added
to your list!
A.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Does anyone think that Jesse's summation of Segarra in his review ("This absinthe competes favorably with Lasala") is laughable? I do.

I haven't heard anyone say anything good about Lasala in ages, and these two products couldn't be more different. Lasala doesn't come close to Segarra.

It might be time for revisions in the BG? The Deva-Lasala-Montana unholy triumvirate is long dead...and now that Segarra is easy to get without doing a song and dance with La Bodega...and now that other brands keep cropping up...

BC

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Timk,

I meant THREE glasses are about 100ml.

I use a modern shot glass for measuring as well, but it is pretty large, a little more than 30ml

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:25 pm: Edit

...interesting...
when you choose the Spanish version of the website (or the Catalan), the search produces no results for "Manguin". The English version does, but it is not listed in the "aperitifs" section.
Does that mean something? And if yes, what?
Especially secret? Especially crappy so the Spanish are not interested? Especially good but nobody should know?

--Maybe they just had no time updating their site...

By Timk on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

10cl - of absinthe - jeez m8 - a glass to me is normally 25ml of absinthe - interestingly this modern 'shot' measure completely fills the reservoir of my glass perfectly.

By Joalco on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

It's safe to say I'm a convert, at least until Jade rolls out. I got my last SC order yesterday, and was so impressed with the Segarra that I ordered two more bottles today.

cheers,

jc

By Tlautrec on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Heiko-

I agree with you. The buttery flavor was a bit unexpected at first, but I've grown to like it.

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

Tlautrec,
I absolutely agree that the star anise flavor covers the wormwood flavor. As I have had too much Deva, I can hardly taste the anise anymore, and suddenly brands like Deva, MM or Serpis reveal a wormwood flavor too (not much less than Segarra).

The buttery flavor is not bad at all - I just did not expect it.
Imagine you are going to drink from a glass with your eyes closed and think it is coke - but actually it's milk. Even if you like milk very much, I'm almost sure you will spit out the first mouthful of it, just because you expected coke (I don't know if this is a good example...).

By Tlautrec on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 10:31 am: Edit

I just polished off the last of my Segarra the other night. What I really like about it is how clean it tastes. IMO, Deva and the other Spanish I've tried have a candy-like flavor (too much star anise, I assume) that can get in the way of the more subtle herbal essences. Segarra doesn't have this problem.

First glass, without added sugar: very dry, like a good fino sherry, with a light bitterness that I found to be not at all unpleasant. There is also an initial "buttery" quality in the front of the mouth (commented on a couple of days ago by Heiko, I believe), but that didn't bother me; I like my Chardonnays a little buttery.

Second and third glasses: with added sugar, the flavor is fuller and richer, but still clean, dry and not at all candy-like. After three glasses, the abstract patterns of the grain in the wood floor are very interesting to gaze at.

Time to place another order with SC, I guess.

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

Three glasses? Your glasses must be pretty small I guess...after three glasses of Segarra (that is about 9 or 10 cL - sorry, it's metric 'cos I am from Europe) I don't know how to count anymore...

I think Segarra tastes more interesting than the other Spanish. I didn't like it at first because I had expected something different. I guess it's like tasting some better (dry) wine if you're used to artificially sweetened, crappy table-wine.

Segarra's flavor improves very much if sugar is added (thanks to Ted's review I tried it with sugar and was very pleased by the result!)

How much do I like it now? This will explain:
I just got an sms from a friend who is on vacation in Spain right now and asked me to come too - I replied: "Sorry I don't have time to come. But BUY SEGARRA, BUY SEGARRA!!!! And bring as much as you can!!"
;-)

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Segarra has been my favorite since I first tried it. It tastes the best of the SC offerings, IMO, and is just more interesting. In fact, I doubt I will buy any other brands before the JL rollout besides Segarra (maybe I'll try NS, just for yuks).

Segarra is pleasant all around.

BC

By Joalco on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Hello again all ~

I received an order from SC today with a few of the old favorites, and a couple of new ones (NS, which I'd never tried, and Segarra, which I've only had once previously). I have to say that NS and Segarra are both good, but Segarra takes the cake. This is rapidly becoming my favorite commercial brand, at least until Jade Liquers has their roll-out (counting off the days, let me tell ya!). Now, my palate isn't as sophisticated as some of you good folks', but I seem to taste substantially more wormwood in the Segarra than anything else I've come across, save the three LaBleues I've tried. As for the oft-debated secondary effects, I'm definitely feeling them after three glasses. I guess my real question is whether others have the same opinion of and experiences with Segarra, or if this is strictly in my head...

As always, thanks & cheers!

~ j

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation