Manguin Absinthe 55º

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Manguin Absinthe 55º
By Wolfgang on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 09:32 am: Edit

I have some Green chartreuse at home (and also a tinny bottle of Elixir Vegetal, the original recipe). I never drank more that an oz. at a time so I can't comment of the effect but my girlfriend did and she felt her brain was disconnected from the rest of her body. When she was turning her head, she had to do it VERY slowly if she wanted her brain to follow with the movement... She never touched the stuff again and she swear it's poisonous. For the record, she drank only about 2-3 Oz after a supper where she drank 1/2 bottle of wine.

I also talked about it to some friends who have had lot's of Chartreuse and they all agree that there is a special kind of "chartreuse headache".

Personally, I like the stuff but not too often and in reasonable quantity. Ho, by the way, for those who wonder, no, Chartreuse doesn't louche ;-)

Wolf.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

The 100mph Turtle Neck

1part Green Chartreuse
1part 5 O'clock Vodka
three shakes Tabassco
and a splash of Bestine
to taste...

Drink Fast, the Bestine evaporates
quickly.

By Petermarc on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

http://www.chartreuse.fr/index.htm

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

You know Artemis, I make it a rule to never take a drink of anything when approaching the Forum. I've lost quite a few monitors and keyboards here. I wait between guffaws to take a sip...

By Artemis on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 06:19 am: Edit

"You slap an Absinthe label on it and I'll drink it. Coz you know what? I don't know shit from shinola."

"Isn't that the new slogan for Absente?"

Laughing out loud, spitting coffee on my monitor. Make that the motto for "consumerism" as driven by advertising, period.

I've only had Chartreuse one time - I ordered a green mini from SC but they only had the yellow, so they substituted that. It was the most herbal thing I've ever tasted distinctly grassy. If you visualize good absinthe as a harvest of flower tops, Chartreuse would be a harvest of green parts, from a much bigger garden, and a weed garden at that.

By Martin on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 04:21 am: Edit

"...and locked herself in the bathroom with the bottle."

Yes, yes! I can totally see that happening. The night I had too much, once it started having an effect on me, I couldn't stop drinking it. I was taking it straight out of the bottle and I needed more.. more....... and that's when God started talking to me and started telling me prophetic things about my future. It was totally eerie, and I was rolling on the floor in some kind of sick, perverse agony over things I couldn't possibly understand.

That stuff is beautiful and terrible all at the same time. It's almost like Catharsis In A Bottle. I wonder what the hell those monks were thinking when they came up the recipe. I mean, what purpose would they have for such a potent and dangerous potion?

Anyhoo, I actually look forward to the next time when I'll drink too much of it (and I'm sure there will be a next time), because I actually look back at it as a very educational experience which has resulted in me having a strange spiritual awakening of sorts.

And it didn't make me ill at all.

-Martin

(Couldn't get the soldier to stand at attention, eh Head? Maybe next time you shouldn't chase the Chartreuse with a handfull of Xanax.)

By _Blackjack on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 03:37 am: Edit

Quote:

You slap an Absinthe label on it and I'll drink it. Coz you know what? I don't know shit from shinola.

Isn't that the new slogan for Absente?

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 08:50 pm: Edit

And another thing...

"It's not thujone that makes it absinthe. It's wormwood. Of course, wormwood has thujone in it. I'll leave it to the chemists to explain if its possible to make absinthe using wormwood and keep the thujone out."

You slap an Absinthe label on it and I'll drink it. Coz you know what? I don't know shit from shinola.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 08:46 pm: Edit

"btw did I mention Chartreuse contains a dangerous poison called 'chartrinone' which is proven (in my opinion) to make people mad?"

If you put that in a jingle and back it up with some legendary tales in a few month's we'll all be meeting again in the Chartreuse forum...

By Heiko on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I think it would be good for humanity to ban Chartreuse! Not that I have ever tried it, but I've heard some bad stories about it... I think I'm gonna ask the church for support on my struggle against this evil fluid, they'd be happy to have something good and moral to fight for.

btw did I mention Chartreuse contains a dangerous poison called 'chartrinone' which is proven (in my opinion) to make people mad?

Messieurs, c'est l'heure!

signed
The Happy Hypocrit

By Verawench on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 07:44 pm: Edit

"Anyone else here have any crazy experiences with Chartreuse?"

I gave a friend of mine a bottle of chartreuse for Christmas (felt like the christmas-y thing to do). She had a fight with her boyfriend later that night and locked herself in the bathroom with the bottle.

She ended up spending three days in the nuthouse.. I kid you not...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Never touched the stuff (Chartreuse) since then.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I've told my Chartreuse story too often but anything for you Marty-Mar...

Let's see it was 4th of July. I was having barbecue at a friends house. I had 2 bottles of Bell's Porter, two glasses of Absinthe and two glasses of Chartreuse... I was lit!

My ditter wouldn't even respond to the woman that was crawling all over me. My mouth was coated with old wall paper glue and my head felt like it was a hundred pounds.

By Martin on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

I tell you, having an anise mint always puts me in a good mood.

Anyone else here have any crazy experiences with Chartreuse? And, is it me, or does Chartreuse taste quite a bit like a Ricola cough drop?

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

Nah, I used a toppette I have to measure out around 2 doses per glass.

By Petermarc on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 03:20 am: Edit

justin,
the 'large pontarlier glass' i think you're talking about holds 3 ounces in the dose...so if you drank 4 glasses in one sitting, that would be 12 ounces of absinthe...is that right?

By _Blackjack on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 12:48 am: Edit

Is there any thujone in hemlock? ;p

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:08 pm: Edit

More like Suckrates...

By Bob_Chong on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:13 pm: Edit

like Socrates from Athens?

lol

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Martin, I think you have something there about the sedative effects of ouzo/absinthe. I read somewhere that they did a study where they sprayed the flanks of milk cows with an anise scented solution. The result was calmer, more productive cows.

Oh, and good to see that you're still around. You've been missing from here much like Socrates from Athens. It's a gadfly thingy I guess.

Jim

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Malhomme,
i think it is only the "homemade" schnapps - if you bring cherries or other fruit to a small distillery where an experienced artisan works. My grandfather always used to do this - now I know why... I seem to have inherited much from him, he also liked pastis very much...and never in small amounts...

Vera,
I'm a poor student, too - but I can't keep my hands of the Segarra (or at least some other Absinthe)... I've had a 'death in the afternoon' with Segarra right now and can't get the smile out of my face :-))
I think it just depends on what is important for you - I don't need most of the 'icons of capitalism' others like to waste their money on, I rather have a good glass of Absinthe - but of course I won't spend 200$ for a bottle of La Bleue as long as I can get a lineup of 5 Spanish brands for almost half the price...

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:59 pm: Edit

You should try Arak and Mad Jack together. We're talking serious secondary effects.

By Martin on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I agree with Malhomme about the ouzo. One glass of ouzo sometimes does more to me than two glasses of absinthe. The secondary effect from ouzo is different, not nearly as clear headed as with absinthe, but definately sedative in the same way as absinthe. That special way few common alcohols can accomplish.

Muse Verte pastis does a little bit of something to me (before the alcohol takes over), but not in same way as absinthe, actually I would say it was kind of similar to the ouzo effect, but not as intense.

Chartreuse is evil. I find it to be a very delicious and enjoyable drink, but the effects of overconsumption are horrifying. I was thrown into a delerium that seemed not unlike what ignorant people think absinthe does (but of course doesn't).

My conclusion is that herbal drinks are capable of things far beyond that of simple alcohol. I don't presume to even guess at the reasons, but I've even made herbal teas before that gave me all sorts of strange "secondary effects". Make some tea from Chamomile, Valerian Root, St. John's Wort, Licorice Root and you'll get an idea what I'm talking about.

On a totally different subject.... I've come to the conclusion that Segarra is absolutely the best absinthe to cook with. I know it may seem wasteful, but a little bit goes a long way, and it's one-of-a-kind flavor greatly enhances everything from Asian stir-fry to shrimp w/white sauce. Absinthe in general is an excellent drink with Asian food.

And who cares if Manguin is real absinthe or not, as long as it tastes good, that's what's important. It would really be nice if we could get these "almost absinthes" in America, sure it's not the same as the "real thing", but if it's an enjoyable drink I could care less.

-Martin

By Verawench on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

"After you got used to Absinthe any effects seem to fade into nothing - but quit drinking Absinthe for two weeks and here we go again! At least this is my personal experience."

Being a poor little student, I can't afford to order the fairy too often... so I am nowhere near as spoiled as some of you good folks :P

The "effects" are there. 2-3 ounces leave me grinning unlike anything else alcohol-based.

Thujone or no thujone, I've always been a believer in the power of the mind and its response to certain "mythologies". I have a lot invested, intellectually, in the 19th century culture which revolved around absinthe, and knowing that on some miscroscopic level I partake in that long gone brilliance, no doubt contributes to the experience. It's the high you get from a religious rite...

AleX
the philospher wench

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Heiko-
"You should have tried the homemade schnapps I mentioned"

I wish I had! Allison has glowingly mentioned several times the schnapps her landlord would make out of cherries when she lived in Regensburg (sp?). When she told me she liked schnapps I laughed out loud! It's apparently nothing at all like the schnapps in Germany.

Jim

By Tlautrec on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Heiko-

I don't know whether there's any nutmeg in Versinthe, but it does have a sweet spice flavor that could include some nutmeg. I'm only speculating that this could contribute, if only in a minor way, or in a synergistic way with the other herbal ingredients, to the different effect I felt from drinking it.

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Tlautrec,
do you want to say there's nutmeg in absinthe (and or some pastis)?

No wonder it's got secondary effects...

Can't be all of it though, because if you eat enough nutmeg to feel an effect, you wake up with the worst headache of your life and you feel like you were wandering through the desert without water (dry mouth etc.)

A friend of mine was in India last year and told me everyone there chews nutmeg all day long (he wasn't sure if the black teeth everyone had are a result of nutmeg or just a result of the absence of tooth brushes...)

By Chrysippvs on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I have personally taken several absinthes and pastis placed them in sealed containers where I could not see the color (BTW these included Oxygenee, Pontarlier Anis, Versinthe, and 3 non commercial absinthes and a la bleue). I drank 4 glasses (from a large pontarlier glass) of each blindfolded and pinched my nose to lower my ability to tell from flavor. After the four glasses or the period of around 2 weeks I would record every night if I thought there were any "secondary effects."

Well, in short the results were disdaining. I only reported "secondary effects" on Oxygenee and one noncommercial brew. What does this mean? That these effects are probably just psychosomatic. Perhaps they are real but maybe I just don't feel them, not sure. Some people seem to swear by them, like a friend of mine, but I don't see it.

Just a thought...

- J

By Tlautrec on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:36 pm: Edit

The first time I tried Versinthe, which is available in the US and seems to be marketed as something between a pastis and a "refined" absinthe, I had something akin to secondary effects after two glasses - not as intense as with Deva or MM, but definitely a different sensation that I get after, say, 2 martinis. There's got to be something in the right combination of herbs and spices that affects one's consciousness differently than straight alcohol. For instance, nutmeg by itself has known psychotropic effects.

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

The results of everything I've done (and am doing) will be available in due time.

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Hmmm, ouzo and arak get me flying pretty good on secondary effects, but they're only similar to absinthe. I say similar because though they all pretty much have the same kind of euphoria to me, I actually feel more "drunk" with ouzo and arak than I do with absinthe. Absinthe leaves me feeling more clear-headed and spatially distorted.

Same ol' story....

So how about that double-blind study at Tulane???

Jim

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

But then if your hunch is true, then any anise liqueur should deliver a secondary effect. I'm not sure if I can agree with that.

The only thing that can be positively assessed is that at the present, there has not been enough research on absinthe proper to make an intelligent hypothesis. Everything up until this point has been (bad) guesswork.

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 01:34 pm: Edit

My hunch has been alcohol with anethol as a synergist.

Jim

By Bob_Chong on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Ted:

Will this new info be part of the novel presentation that has been mentioned before (i.e., will you let us know what the "something else" is)?

I still chuckle at the notion of a double blind study. Maybe Tulane would let you do it (if anyone would, it'd be them).

BC

By Artemis on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 12:40 pm: Edit

"So why does everyone make a big deal about thujone?"

Not *everyone* does. The answer is ignorance, fueled by 19th Century "science" that unfortunately, refuses to die.

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Probably the alcohol plays the most important role in "secondary" effects - it is like a slightly modified drunkenness. No alcohol -> no effect at all, I guess.

I had one or two experiences which prove this (at least for my personal feeling): After I have had one or two absinthes and felt some absinthe effect, I continued drinking some other alcoholic drinks - as I became more drunk, the secondary effect was kind of "carried along" by the other drinks, like it was fortified by the alcohol (alcohol from about every drink possible, as I can remember from new years eve ;-)).

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:39 am: Edit

I should further clarify this by saying that what I formerly attributed to thujone, seems to be in fact something else. Otherwise, everything seems to still be pretty much in order.

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

Actually, there are some interesting things that I discovered since writing the first opinion. This information completely changed my opinion of thujone, so I would have to rewrite that to be valid with respect to what I now know. As you well know, everything within this subject is part of a learning process, and I am working to get to the 'top of the curve' as quickly and thoroughly as I can. Along the way there have been some unexpected surprises, but that was only because I, like you (and most), assumed the opinions of some persons to be fact, and they were not. Now however, the picture is rapidly becoming clear.

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 11:23 am: Edit

Sorry, Ted!!! I guess that's what I get for reading the Forum while imbibing....

To correct my error allow me to quote Ted on the subject of secondary effects (he couldn't have been clearer):

"To discuss secondary effects, I have personally oberved what seems to be two different types, and I have drawn some data which has allowed me to clearly differentiate their sources. One is a pleasant euphoria which is unique to only the best of the best absinthe, the other is a mind numbing stupor. My product delivers a firm dose of the former (and only a little of the latter), which is what to expect from original Pernod Fils, E. Pernod, F. Duval, Dubied, etc. (and is what I much prefer). 2-3 glasses before going out to dinner gives a completely improved outlook on the social setting, and makes the food taste even better. For example, I have a girlfriend which does not like wine, will not touch beer, and doesn't like mixed drinks much. If I offer absinthe (Ted's stuff) however, she'll eagerly take two in quick succession, and becomes the naughty girl in the "Absinthe Parisienne" poster, which needless to say improves my attitude as well!

"The other effect (a pronounced stupor) causes you to feel like sitting down, and not saying much. Time seems to slow down, and your thinking becomes clouded and confused....like the photo of Verlaine sitting in that cafe. I've perfected products which deliver this, but they are clearly inferior to Pernod Fils, etc.

"As far as I can tell, the differences between these two have little or nothing to do with the thujone content, although without thujone, you don't seem to get either. I likewise believe the effects of thujone are compounded by the type and concentration of certain other herbal essences. Finally, FWIW, you won't find me buying some nasty piss-water simply because it is high in thujone."

And again....

"Being that is entirely likely that one person would experience the 'effects' in one setting and not another with the same liquor, this cannot effectively be gauged. Furthermore, there are so many other influences such as stomach contents, general physical and mental state, was tobacco or other substances involved, etc., etc., that it is impossible to gauge something so largely subjective. As much as I trust my own judgement to be entirely objective in this regard, I could never be so certain about this such as to use it to judge a particular product, perhaps unfairly.

"I feel that the 'secondary effects' should be left for the individual consumer to determine for himself. Already there has been favorable discussion of products which do not give me an 'secondary effects', yet some others do.

"Until the source of secondary effects is isolated, it is impossible to objectively, accurately gauge them without a double-blind study (which seems a bit impractical for obvious reasons). With respect to these considerations, I feel the reviews are fine the way they are."

Mea maxima culpa,
Jim

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

Who said I don't believe in secondary effects? Like you, I've experienced them first-hand.

The fault here is the assumption that thujone is directly responsible for secondary effects. This notion is baseless.

By Heiko on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:52 am: Edit

Malhomme,

I think you mentioned something important here:
After you got used to Absinthe any effects seem to fade into nothing - but quit drinking Absinthe for two weeks and here we go again! At least this is my personal experience.

You should have tried the homemade schnapps I mentioned (it wasn't really homemade - only the quinces were homegrown and then officially distilled by a professional). I don't know how much alcohol it contained, but certainly not more than 40-50% as you could drink it neat. After only one shot everybody started talking each others ears off, and we all agreed it had a special effect on us.

btw as far as I read what Ted (and others) wrote he doesn't say "there are no s.e.", he only said "not everybody feels s.e." which is a very acceptable, liberal statement in my opinion.
I feel s.e. but should be liberal as well and accept that others don't.

By Malhomme on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Ted, so what about secondary effects??? Why do you believe that they don't exist?

I'm somewhat convinced that thujone is not the culprit but for me the secondary effects are striking. Just when I begin to think that there are no secondary effects (usually after weeks of casual, low-volume consumption) I'll either switch to beer or go on a binge, and boy am I surprised!!! After breaking that habituated feeling of euphoria I'm soon reminded that there is something to this stuff.

I should add that I get very similar results from arak and ouzo as well, neither of which contain Artemesia of any kind whatsoever. These are the only liquors that have this kind of effect on me.
Jim

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:13 am: Edit

The big deal about thujone comes from a theory that was put forth by someone who invested a lot of time trying to posthumously diagnose Van Gogh's illness. This theory was basically a 'shot in the dark', and was based primarily upon outdated and anecdotal information, and some very poor assumptions. As more research is done, more and more the theory loses credibility.

The EU limit is 10mg/kg. These limits are based upon hysteria that revolves around a lack of information. There is not one shred of evidence that proves that thujone has any acutely psychotropic properties, and it certainly does not in the concentrations encountered even in the most horrible products.

By Terminus on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 09:53 am: Edit

Ted>

So why does everyone make a big deal about thujone?

Why does the EU limit thujone in absinthe to one part per million?

WTBS, I'd rather drink Segarra over Absinthe King even if Absinthe King contained 10 times as much thujone.

By Tabreaux on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 09:32 am: Edit

Thanks for the clarification. Extracts and oils can be made from absinthe leaves (pastis made similarly), so the method of manufacture, as actually performed, still remains unclear.

One thing remains apparent however, and that is that there is not one shred of evidence that thujone has anything to do with quality of the product or secondary effects. People are putting emphasis in thujone, when in all likelyhood, it means *NOTHING*.

By Spirits on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

May I just put a small question in this forum? Which absinthe would you say has the highest thujone level, Deva or Herring?

I think that I may surprise some of you when I say that Herring has a 4 times higher thujone level than Deva (I am saying from what I have seen from official certificates of the SAME laboratory).

The conclusion is that absinthe is a very complex distilled product in which a lot of factors play a role.

Regards,

Federico

By Spirits on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 09:08 am: Edit

If you allow me to take part once again in this old discussion, I can assure you all that I have been in absinthe distilleries (Deva, Serpis,...) and I have had the absinthe leaves in my own hands. Some of the Spanish brands are made for SURE with absinthe leaves. And yes, you can reduce the thujone level on purpose: the tail has more thujone than the leave and much more than the flower. Each producer in Spain has enough experience making absinthe that he can achieve a desired, but always approximate, level.

When we say that the French reduces the thujone level (like some of you correctly admit), it is because the distillery wanted to have a low thujone level on purpose. But since each distillation has different thujone levels (I have seen certificates of the same product made at different moments with thujone variations of 1 to 4), no producer wants to say the exact level.

Regards,

Federico H. Lafuente

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I think all talk of "reducing" and "reduction" of thujone is quite silly. Nothing is being removed: it is simply never added in the first place. It is not like decaf coffee or NA beer.

Besides, the main Spanish brands are just oils mixed with dye, grain alcohol, and water, no? I doubt a single leaf of wormwood has ever been inside the Deva factory (or LaSala or Montana...), or anise, or any other raw ingredient.

BC

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Vera,

most of the Spanish brands are available in Germany and the UK and they all state they contain less than 10mg/kg of thujone. If this is true, how they reduce it or how it is controlled in different countries, I don't know.
Also it is still not proven that thujone is the active ingredient which might produce a special effect - some people here say they even don't get a special effect from La Bleue, which is certainly not reduced in any levels.

In my opinion Segarra differs clear from other Spanish brands (I have not tried La Bleue or Jade yet). Deva, Serpis, MM all seem to have a special effect on me, but not much (especially now that I'm a little more used to it I have to ask myself if I feel anything special at all). Segarra surprised me with a less sublime secondary effect.
I can't tell if this is the same with other people or if it contains more of whatever. Maybe it's a special herb that Mr. Segarra adds to his Absenta which has nothing to do with wormwood at all...

btw I recently had a few glasses of homemade quince-schnapps at a party and it had kind of heavy secondary effects on me. More than Deva ever had. Don't ask me where that came from, but quinces don't contain thujone, that's for sure ;-)

By _Blackjack on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Quote:

Forgive an amateur... but do you mean to say all this Spanish stuff is thujone reduced?

Well, EU regulations require thujone to be below 10 mg/kg. This is probably lower than vintage absinthe, tho we don't have hard figures (yet?) It doesn't make too much of a difference. Thujone is not the mark of a good absinthe, and its role in whatever "secondary effects" people get is unclear. If you want a thujone buzz, suck some Vick's Vap-o-rub...

By Tabreaux on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Actually, pre-ban Oxygenee was 'amended' by a then-novel process which is almost certainly not used anywhere today. Quite honestly, whether the old process was effective or not at achieving its goal is debatable, and was certainly not verifiable at the time of its existence.

Be advised that absinthe is still illegal in France, and the best evidence so far indicates that products sold there are not absinthe. The French have a nasty habit of incorrectly referring to any species of Artemisia as some form of "plantes de absinthe", and with the state of affairs with the current market, you can bet your backside that you will see more products labeled as such in a deliberate attempt to pass it off as something it is not.

By Verawench on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Forgive an amateur... but do you mean to say all this Spanish stuff is thujone reduced? Damnit! It's like eating really good ice cream only to find out it's low fat...

And what's this about Segarra being different? I've never tried it.

the confused wench

By Timk on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:02 pm: Edit

was not the original oxygenee cusenier also a reduced thujone product, or at the very least claimed to be? - anything advertised as absithe hygenique that I have heard of refered to removal / lowering of thujone levels - so if you dont consider modern day oxygenee absinthe, then I can only presume that you think that pre ban oxygenee and other absinthe hygenique'swere also not absinthe. The issue of whether they just claim to have lowered the thujone in the modern products is also valid for the pre ban products - so there is an excellent parallel

Tim

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

All the EU-conform Absinthes (i.e. Deva, Serpis, MM, La Fée...) are thujone reduced. They all claim to make Absinthe according to a traditional recipe only with reduced thujone levels (at least this is what they write on the German labels - I can't find a statement like that on the Spanish labels. I actually don't speak Spanish though, just learned some basics and that was four years ago...)

I guess the process changes Absinthe at least that much as it changes beer if you take the alcohol out - it's still kind of beer, it still contains up to 0.3% of alcohol but it just tastes crappy... I don't want to imply that thujone levels change the effect of an Absinthe as much as alcohol levels change the effect of a beer - I'm only talking about taste.

Although I doubt if Segarra is EU-conform... I guess in Spain just nobody cares about what the EU wants (and IMO they are right!). "Isn't it enough that we have a law? Nobody said we should enforce it...."

By Terminus on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:34 pm: Edit

If its made with Roman wormwood (like Roux's Absente), then its not absinthe--its "absinthe refined."

Absinthe must be made from Arthemesia Absinthium, right?

Taking the thujone out of wormwood is not a natural process.

By Petermarc on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

oxygénée is supposed to be thujone-reduced also, but is an excellent product (if, and when you can find it)... i have never seen nor heard of this 'absinthe' and i ask all the time...it is my opinion that the thujone cannot be significantly reduced and these people are making absinthe (or something close) and hide behind the claims of 'cleaning up' the product as not to scare the already skittery french and comply with french law (or bend around it)...the french love to do stuff like this, especially in the south...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

It's not thujone that makes it absinthe. It's wormwood. Of course, wormwood has thujone in it. I'll leave it to the chemists to explain if its possible to make absinthe using wormwood and keep the thujone out.

The picture looks pretty good to me. It's a more natural-looking color, tho the clear bottle would imply it's not. I don't see any herbs in there. I think the darker area on the bottom is just the label.

By Tlautrec on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Got the same ad. I checked out the maker's website at http://www.manguin.com/pastis.htm. Not having tried this new product, I can't say anything about it, but the eaux-de-vie this company makes look pretty darned good. Oxygénée is also advertised as "liqueur aux plantes d'absinthe," and those of you who've tried Oxy have rated it very highly. This new one should at least be worth a try.

By Verawench on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I got the email from SC as well... what the hell is absinthe without thujone? I thought that's what made it unique...

And that smaller bottle looks like something from Dr. Frankenstein's shelf. Heh.. maybe that's the look they were going for.

By Terminus on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

http://www.spiritscorner.com/imgcat/manguin_gde1.jpg

Here's a pic of the big, black bottle.

By Heiko on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Just got the ad from spiritscorner too - the contents of the bottle (the small one) don't look very good in my opinion...is there herbs swimming around in it, or is there some shadow in the picture?
The large bottle is all black so you can't say what it looks like inside...

manguin

By Terminus on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 02:24 pm: Edit

What the hell is this stuff?

I saw it at Spiritscorner. They are trying to pass it off as absinthe, even though it is virtually thujone free.

Product: Manguin Absinthe 55º in 0,7 litre bottle
Contents: 0,7 litres
Cellar: Destilleries Manguin

New French absinthe

Tasting Notes: This new French absinthe, as oposed to the Pastis that this destillery ALSO produces, is made following the original taste pattern of absinthe, but whose thujone level has been reduced substantially. Although it can be said that it is virtually thujone-free, we strongly recommend it due to its superb taste.

Code: 101011937
Price: 2925 pts / 17.57 euros
15,81 USD / 34,38 DEM / 10,83 GBP

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation