Thoughts on NS

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Thoughts on NS
By Wolfgang on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 11:39 pm: Edit

..The barcode make it fall apart...I tell you, is all about the barcode...;-)

...are we all becoming insane ? ...Wolf.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Ok damnmint!!! NS is cheap! I just tried to soak the label off and it fell apart like wet toilet paper. CHEAP CHEAP I tell you!!!

CHEAP!

By Heiko on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Peter,
I meant I'm not going to mailorder La Bleue. I will come to Boveresse tho - this is something else, much better than just a bottle of La Bleue per mail!

By Petermarc on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

so heiko, you coming to boveresse or not?

By Heiko on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Everything below 100$ per bottle is considered cheap here.

Oh oh, I'm not making friends with such comments... uhum...I was just kidding!

but seriously: if anybody here said that NS was cheap, I guess he meant that it is made from oils. That doesn't exactly mean it's bad, just cheap compared to real E. Pernod.
I haven't tried La Bleue neither. I rather wait for Jade, it's going to be better than La Bleue (and hopefully even a little less expensive).

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

They don't like the barcode on the label. You drink whatever you want, young Scoob!

By Scoobydoo on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 08:57 am: Edit

Why is NS considered a "cheap absinthe"???
It's my favorite that I have tried so far...
I guess I just haven't tried the La Bleue's like eveyrone else...oh well..some day..some day soon hopefully!

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 04:51 pm: Edit

That's very innovative Mel.
I like to kill two birds with one stone by taking a Trojan Extra-Ply condom, poking 3 holes in the end(normal ply will immediately rip itself apart during the water stage), adding a sugar cube and filling it with ice water. I suspend it from the middle of my glasses (eye glasses) that way I have an aerial view of the louching effect and on hot summer days it's quiet a refreshing treat.

By Melinelly on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

ok, finally broke out my mini pie pan (which i can retire in three days when i finally get a spoon =)... it's an aluminum pie pan about 3" in diameter which i've punched holes in the bottom of to use for the sugar ritual hehe)...

the NS is definitely improved with sugar! the green anise taste is weakened so that it is no longer overpowering, and now it is simply tongue numbing anisey goodness =) using sugar (some st. louis brand that jim sent me... thanks, jim!) actually even mellowed out the "raw sugar" taste and grittiness i find drinking NS without sugar... all in all, sugar mellows out this green monster and as far as spanish goes, this definitely takes the number two spot right behind segarra for me.

cheers!

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

artemis, yes, but add the heady aroma of fresh anise that NS lends to the mix and you've really got something =)

ah, yes, trouble... hehe... forgot to mention that this drink went down dangerously fast and easy... i was feeling quite warm and fuzzy after just the one pint... anyone care to figure out the alcohol content? 500ml of Stella plus about 2oz of NS... went down over about 30 minutes and i was more than ready for more =)

By Dread on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Thanks Melinelly, now I'm really in trouble...

I'm going to the store to pick up something to try this with now!

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

"only downside: REALLY pungent burps =)"

You get the same from any good fresh beer with a decent quotidienne of good pungent hops. Sam Adams right out of the barrel for example. Extra ditto for IPAs such as Three Floyd's Alpha King, or Bells Two-Hearted Ale, etc. Drink one pint, and you taste them hops on the rebound for hours!

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

ok... i still haven't tried NS with sugar yet, but yesterday, after reading of "Picon Bierre" which is simply a shot of Picon in a glass of lager... i had to give it a try...

i had a lone bottle of Stella Artois sitting in my fridge (a rarity to find anything other than ales in there), and figured what the heck... i thought about which absinthe i wanted to try it with and figured that the pungency of the Stella would have to have an equally strong flavor to compliment...

since NS has that intense vegetal flavor of "green anise," i went that a way.

i poured about two ounces of NS into a pint glass... wrenched the cap off the Stella... smelled the glass and then the bottle... said "i hope this works"... and began to pour.

the louche was quite an interesting sight. like watching whitewater rapids being poured into a glass... the way the beer naturally whitens with foam intensified by the louche of the absinthe in the bottom of the glass... almost looked like a pint of Boddington's or Breo being poured... when the storm had settled, i didn't know what to call what i held before me in that glass... it was an odd color... like and opaque beer with an amber hue... the slight head of foam looking more like the creamy bit atop a root beer float...

i smelled it... an anis lager punch... the pungency of the hops playing quite nicely with the heady anise... very nice...

then i dove in, taking a mouthful and swishing it around before swallowing... that first bit was the best of the glass. the Stella and NS meshed almost perfectly together. the anise and hops embraced the senses only to be calmed by a sweet malty finish... this continued to the bottom of the glass...

a very nice experience indeed. i'll have to try some different lager/absinthe mixes and see what works best. definitely among my favorite drinks now.

only downside: REALLY pungent burps =)

By Wormwood on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 04:43 am: Edit

The flakes (at least the tiny white one in your drink) you describe are not from your water.

Absinthe, pastis and ouzo all contain chemicals which dissolve in alcohol and are insoluable in water. In cold water these can cause tiny waxy flakes to form in your drink.

By Zack on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I think the oil floaters has something to do with the type of water you add to your absinthe. I have "dandruff" flakes in all of my glasses of absinthe, even pastis.

By Wolfgang on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

At first I very liked that bottle but finally I prefer Deva even if it`s too strong on sugar. NS is, like you said: ''like a pointillist painting viewed up close''. It fall apart very fast when water is added. It`s an interesting cheap absinthe, I may eventually buy another bottle but that`s very far away from the holy grail. In fact, the oil floating of top looks more like dandruff than anything else.

By Melinelly on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 08:28 am: Edit

thanks for the review PV. very comprehensive. i'll have to break out my mini pie pan and try it with sugar.

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Having had a number of glasses and watched a bottle of it vanish over a few hours at a party, I feel I can comment on it now.

Absinthe, Nearly So? If other Spanish absinthes are made with oils, I think this one must be. The thick sheen on the surface when water is added, and the uneven edges to its flavor when drunk without sugar -- not the same thing as dryness, though it is a good deal drier than Deva -- seem to indicate this. Its label reads "Qualite' Extra Superieure", and this is indeed true in the sense that it's superior to a number of things on the market. I like it better than Lasala and Mari Mayans 70, at least as well as Serpis, probably better than Deva. In my mind, it can't compare to Segarra, but if the Forum's collective hunch is right about their respective means of manufacture, they really can't be judged in the same class.

As Rupert has noted, it is similar to Serpis in its surface oiliness and in its bitterness up front. It has most of the same components as the other popular Spanish brands, though in different quantities. I believe I taste wormwood extract, as well as lemon oil, fennel (though less present than in Deva), and comparably modest amounts of more than one kind of anise, including the "green" anise flavor noted by Melinelly. I also agree with Melinelly's assessment of this absinthe as a "soup", I would say a "stew" as opposed to a "broth". Unsweetened, the elements in it seem almost too discrete, jarring, unblended, like a pointillist painting viewed up close, only to smoothen and run together when a sugar cube is added. This -- and the fact that it's called "Absinthe" rather than "Absenta" -- would indicate that this drink is primarily being made for an export market. Its flavor will appeal to those who like the ritual of the spoon and sugar cube, and demand a drink that is completed by it, if probably not for the same reasons that an antique absinthe would be. And it does satisfy nicely, and inexpensively. For what it's worth, I find the "effects" are present in NS, to the extent that they're in anything I've tried thus far.

I think the evidence is in that we are simply not going to find a purely distilled, naturally colored absinthe for 18-some Euros per bottle. This is not one, but taken on its own merits it's a nice drink and a very good buy for those exploring the Spanish absinthes. It's good in a Sazerac and even with coffee on a chilly spring night. I recommend it to latter-day Rimbauds, musicians and other absintheurs short on cash to ward off those fin-de-siecle blues.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation