Nother New Guy

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Nother New Guy
By Grimbergen on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 08:20 am: Edit

www.belgianshop.com is very reliable and run by a great guy. The prices are only worth it for beer that aren't already being imported to the US.

grim

By Zack on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

(Sorry if this gets posted twice, server seems screwed)

I just found this website:

www.belgianshop.com

It offers Belgian beer and glasses. The shipping prices for the US look to be very expensive, but were all used to that anyway.

By Tlautrec on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Morrigan & Melinelly,
Must regretfully pass on tonight - family obligations.

Emiliano,
I'll send you a private e-mail about A's possibilities.

Larry

By Melinelly on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Larry, looks like next friday's a no go. mel and i are gonna try to make it tonight though. probably be there around 8ish.

aside from the moulin rouge opening, if you're into baseball, saturday may 19th is Jason Giambi bobblehead day at the colliseum! =)

By Martin on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:59 pm: Edit

While on the subject of beer, I really like Xingu Black Beer. It's something I think Guiness fans would dig, but it is a very different animal.

-Martin

By Morriganlefey on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:03 am: Edit

ACK - Tlautrec & Melinelly:

I may have been wrong in saying the Toronado's Belgian Fest went to end of May! Friends now tell me it's the end of APRIL, which means only 4 more days. A bunch of us are going tonight (Friday) after work, so consider this an open invite to join us.

Sorry, me bad.

By String on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Ballantine's IPA dissapeared from my local store a couple of years ago. It's too bad because I liked that oak chip taste they had. Those puzzles on the bottoms of the Ballantine Ale caps are back now after being gone for a couple of years.

By Netsurfer on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:34 pm: Edit

But Belgian sounds good too :-)

By Netsurfer on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Give me Pilsner Urquell on draft, prosim...

By Tlautrec on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Melinelly-

Would love to get together for Belgian, but am tied up this Friday. How about next Friday while Mel is resting up for her race?

Larry

By Artemis on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

"The place I went to boasted 550 different styles of beer. It was nearly impossible to walk down the aisles, as they were overflowing with the goods. They had brewing supplies, too."

That was the place. Best beer store I've ever seen.

"And as long as I'm talking beer, could you tell me if Augsburger is still produced? How about Ballantine's IPA? I can find neither where I live now, and I remember them as great domestics in the $3.99 and under category (for a 6-pack). I figured if you still live somewhere around
Chicagoland, you might know."

I never had to go anywhere else in the Chicago area, because that place was so good. About the time it went under, I quit buying beer, so I never found a replacement. I can't answer about Ballantine's or Augsburger, but there is a Usenet group frequented by people who can: rec.food.drink.beer. Don't mention absinthe, unless you want to get into a war of wits with the witless.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Zack--

Got it. Very nice. I've never had the regular ale, only the IPA. I actually like 40's if they're on sale and I'm pouring for a few people.

BC

By Zack on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Bob-

The one I saw was just "Ballantine Ale," might be different. I don't know how to post a pic on here so I sent one to the E-mail address on your profile.

Zack

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 10:26 am: Edit

An IPA comes in a 40? For the cultured hoodlums?

By Zack on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

Comes in a 40oz too!

By Melinelly on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:44 am: Edit

Ballantine's is still around. sells over here for 5.99-6.99 a 6pk.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 08:48 am: Edit

I remember it as Miska's, although time and memory could have erased what else was part of the store name, in reality or in my mind only. Maybe it was Miska's World End's Liquors...either way, I doubt there were two good beer shops in Mokena (in a strip mall, not far from 80, as you described). The place I went to boasted 550 different styles of beer. It was nearly impossible to walk down the aisles, as they were overflowing with the goods. They had brewing supplies, too.I was like a kid in a candy shop after having relied on Santori's in Lansing as my closest souce of good brew.

But the point of the story is that the place is apparently out of business. That's too bad.

And as long as I'm talking beer, could you tell me if Augsburger is still produced? How about Ballantine's IPA? I can find neither where I live now, and I remember them as great domestics in the $3.99 and under category (for a 6-pack). I figured if you still live somewhere around Chicagoland, you might know.

Thanks!

BC

By Artemis on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

Miska's went out of business?

If memory serves me correctly, the place was called "World's End Liquors" or something like that. It could well have been La Fin du Monde, eh? It was in a little strip mall one stoplight away from I-80, with a White Castle burger place on the corner. Apparently they invested heavily in a prospective brew pub, to be located next door. Every time I went, I would ask about the brew pub, and got ever increasing pessimistic replies. The last time I went, the store had almost no beer in it. I said what's up, they said the new owner (!) didn't intend to order any beer until the stock was sold out. The "new owner" might have been a bankruptcy court, because the next time I went, the place was empty and locked up.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Artemis:

Miska's went out of business? I hadn't heard. Bummer. That place was great. I used to go there every Saturday during a winter I spent near there.

BC

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

hey, cool =) i could go for a few belgians if y'all are free friday night!

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Oh, Melinelly and Tlautrec (and any other SF'ers) - while on the subject of Belgian beer, the Toronado on Haight Street in lower Haight (aka my backyard!) is having a "Belgian Beer Tasting Festival" until end of May. Over 20 belgians on tap.

Just when I start to forget why I live in this expensive city, something wonderful like that crops up.

- M

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 04:02 pm: Edit

you are correct, Tlautrec.

we carry pretty much the full range of Unibroue beers in small bottles and some in large.

some of the belgians we have are corsendork, delirium tremens, duvel, chimay (white, red, and blue), and more.

also of note: Ommegang, Hennepin, and one from a brewery in san diego... i think it's called Stumbling Monk.

cheers!

thanks for the correction, Grim =)

By Grimbergen on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

"don't forget Tres Pistoles =) "

Or rather Trois Pistoles...

By Tlautrec on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Melinelly-

If my memory serves me well, there's a great selection of Belgian beers at BevMo in Oakland, right? Do they have these Belgian-style beers from Quebec as well?

By Melinelly on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:23 pm: Edit

don't forget Tres Pistoles =) but La Fin Du Monde is my favorite of the bunch, followed closely by Maudite.

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Sorry about the double posts - this forum is F****D up technically. Double posts, can't edit a post.

Anyway, to clarify, Maudite and Quelque Chose are other beers by Unibroue, not separate breweries.

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:59 pm: Edit

"You beer lovers have to taste ''La fin du Monde'' (end of the world). I don't know if they sell it in the state but here in Quebec, Canada you can find it everywhere. It`s really terrific!. By the way, most of there products are great."

I agree. All the Unibroue beers are good. I recommend Maudite and Quelque Chose as well. All they make is Belgian style beer, maybe better than the Belgians.

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:59 pm: Edit

"You beer lovers have to taste ''La fin du Monde'' (end of the world). I don't know if they sell it in the state but here in Quebec, Canada you can find it everywhere. It`s really terrific!. By the
way, most of there products are great."

I agree. All the Unibroue beers are good. I recommend Maudite and Quelque Chose as well. All they make is Belgian style beer, maybe better than the Belgians.

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:57 pm: Edit

"Sorry, the "place you referred to" regarding obtaining Belgians in the US."

Well, I'm sorry too. I was referring to the glassware, not the beer. I don't know where to get Belgian beer in the U.S. There used to be a beer store on the outskirts of Chicago (in Mokena) which carried the best variety of Belgian beer I have ever seen, but it went out of business. For those who live near Portland, Oregon, there is a store which carries a lot of Belgians. I don't recall the name, but it's on Terwilliger (sp?). It's actually a grocery store - you can see Mount Hood from all around that vicinity.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

You beer lovers have to taste ''La fin du Monde'' (end of the world). I don't know if they sell it in the state but here in Quebec, Canada you can find it everywhere. It`s really terrific!. By the way, most of there products are great.

http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.html

Wolf.

By Zack on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

Sorry, the "place you referred to" regarding obtaining Belgians in the US.

By Zack on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

I was disappointed with Delerium Tremens. I had read several reviews that used words like "best ever." Petermarc, the stuff is too sweet for me too, but if you haven't tried the darker "nocturnum" version, try it, I didn't think it was *as* sweet. So far, I like Duvel, anyone have any brand suggestions? Artemis, I would like to know the place you referred to, just in case.

thanks

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

too sweet for me...

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 08:19 am: Edit

"What I particularly like about the Belgian beers (apart from their taste) is that you get a
specially shaped glass for each one which reflects the style of the drink."

That's true, and it *is* pretty cool. I know where they can be obtained in the U.S. if anybody is interested. I thought it was a nice touch that Pirate's Alley, where Ted held the New Orleans party, honored this tradition by serving Lambic in just the right glass. I wrote it up as Timmermann's Lambic, but it was probably Lindemann's (Cassis) now that I think about it.

"I never realised that Morte Subite referred to a card game, I just thought that was the effect of one too many..."

I believe I read that in Michael Jackson's big beer book. It's a card game that was played at the noon meal time in Belgium; the sudden end is because people had to stop playing and return to work. I think that's the gist of it.

"Ever tried Delirium Tremens?"

Yes, but I've never tasted the beer by that name!

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 07:53 am: Edit

What I particularly like about the Belgian beers (apart from their taste) is that you get a specially shaped glass for each one which reflects the style of the drink.

BTW Artemis I never realised that Morte Subite referred to a card game, I just thought that was the effect of one too many...
Ever tried Delirium Tremens?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

'sudden death'

By Artemis on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 07:21 am: Edit

Worse things could have happened, such as production stopped altogether or the whole thing sold to (shudder) Anheuser Busch.

I've seen very little comment on peoples' forum names, whether obvious (Grimbergen) or not so (a bunch of them).

Mort Subite was by the way named after a card game.

By Joshua on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:22 am: Edit

thanks alot,i will stop by wine spirits and more on the way home tonight.

By Grimbergen on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Good catch Tlautrec, you're the first person to comment on it. If you make it over to Belgium some time, be sure to try the Grimbergen Optimo Bruno. It is pretty hard to find, but worth the search.

Unfortunately Mort Subite took after it's name a little too much. Do to a corporate decsion, distribution outside of the EU was banned for Mort Subite, Grimbergen and all other Alken-Maes products.

:(

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Grim-

I also very much like your namesake beer, and Orval, Chimay, Mort Subite Gueuze and Kwak as well. Vive la Belgique (except, of course, for their wrong-headed banishment of you-know-what)!

By Melinelly on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

joshua (and anyone else interested),

herbsaint doesn't do the "shipping" themselves. transportation of liquor is handled by various companies throughout the US. don't know about where you're at, but here in northern california, the big guys are: Southern Wine & Spirits, Wine Warehouse, and Young's Market Co.

those are the big three, at least as far as the sf bay area goes. there are dozens of smaller companies with different specializations, and products are competed for by all of them. i can't remember which carries herbsaint, but it's one of the big three.

talk to the owner of your nearest liquor store and see if you can get the number of the sales rep for their distributors, then talk to them to find out which company carries herbsaint, or at least get a list of spirits distributors in your area... if you can track down who carries it, you can track down where they deliver to that's close to you, and then you can go there and if they don't have herbsaint then make a request for them to order some for their next delivery from the distributor who you tracked down.

this should work for any alcoholic beverage you seek if it is available. herbsaint is available nationwide for the most part. if you're looking for a very rare regional drink, you'll have a harder time. generally, most liquors you can think of that are bigger than micro and craft are available to distributors to metropolitan areas. if you're out in the country, you might have to drive a little, but you should be able to get to a liquor store that has access to the larger distributors for any given area.

cheers! and good luck =)

em

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

i thought georgia still has one...

By Germanandy on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

i wish i was in the land of cotton ... ;-)

By Joshua on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

where as in stores,not mail order.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Man you guys are lucky...In Jackson (MS) at the best liqueur store in town there is at best Pernod. I have to make them order some Chartreuse (which is growing on me.

But that isn't suprising. We just held a state wide election to get rid of the rebel flag and it lost. We are the only state in the union with the rebel flag in our state flag. It is sad.

By Joshua on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 01:04 pm: Edit

is there a way to find out where the herbsaint company ships to? all i can find where i go is pernod,and ricard.amd the occasional absente

By Martin on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Pataphysician,

I live in the middle of Nowhere in Indiana and I can get both Herbsaint and Muse Verte no problem. It's only about a 35 minute drive from my place to the decent liquor store that carries all that good stuff... Chartreuse too.

God bless the filthy yuppies of Carmel Indiana!

-Martin

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

I'll third or fourth that opinion of Herbsaint. But I have to mailorder it and it ends up costing as much as Deva. Is it available anywhere else besides New Orleans and California?

I bought one bottle of La Muse Verte quite a while back and loved that, too. I can get that off the shelf in my area, but I think it cost about $35 for .750L, so again, I might as well get a bottle of Segarra.

Too bad, because I really like to have good Pastis around. It's a nice break from Absinthe, which can be too intense sometimes. And I like to use Pastis in cocktails instead of my precious Absinthe.

By Tomjoad on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 07:52 pm: Edit

I too have developed a taste for Herbsaint. My first impression was not that favorable. I noticed a distinct black pepper flavor, but now I do not taste it at all. Couldn't believe they had at my local store($16)

By Morriganlefey on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Oops. 'Taint "Herbstaint". Typo'd again.

By Morriganlefey on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Yes indeedy. Herbstaint is my favorite pastis by a long shot. Beats many of the spanish absinthes too.

- M

By Grimbergen on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 05:56 pm: Edit

"I've really developed a taste for Herbsaint..."

I second that. It is such a nice, refreshing drink.

Grim

By Tlautrec on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Svengali Crillon notwithstanding, I personally like HB better than any of the French pastis brands available here. It's richer and more complex tasting than Ricard, Granier or Casanis, and forget about Pernod altogether. I also like HB better than La Muse Verte, which is not sweet and requires the sugar ritual to be pleasant tasting. (Actually, one could characterize La Muse Verte as a faux absinthe rather than as a pastis per se.) That all being said, however, I've really developed a taste for Herbsaint now that Legendre is shipping it to Northern California. Also, Herbsaint is way cheaper than any of the French brands - only $14.95 or so at Beverages and More.

By Tomjoad on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 02:15 pm: Edit

By the way, Lectric Shave will louche nicely. Dr. Roux's not at all.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

I did not intend to disparage HB. I simply detest Crillon.

FWIW in Bangkok where the liquor taxes are skyhigh, here is what the available pastis costs at the supermarket:

Pernod $15 75 cl
Ricard $13 75 cl
Prado $5 1L (not recommended! cheap swill)

There is a fourth recent entrant I never heard of, in line with Prado pricewise.

When you consider the Thai taxes and transportation cost, a liter of Prado HAS to leave France at <$1 a liter. Ugh.

By Pataphysician on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

Go ahead and try the Henri Bardouin. I like it. It's much better than the other Pastis I can get around here: Ricard, Pernod, Absente, Prado, etc. I think H.B. tastes quite a bit like Segarra. I know, I know -- Segarra is not classic Absinthe, and Pastis is not Absinthe at all, but if you do buy Pastis, you could do much worse. It costs about $18 a liter and I can get it at my regular liquor store, so I get it pretty often.

By Martin on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 02:37 am: Edit

Lectric Shave, eh? I've never heard anything compared to that before, but now that I think of it, I'm sure there's many things that fit that description quite well. Certain Eastern European brands come to mind...

-M.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:55 am: Edit

Allow me to elaborate. Michel Roux of Crillon continues to insult the intelligence of the public with the deceptive and fraudulent Absente campaign, built around a false premise that Absente is 'Absinthe Refined' when what Absente is, is a very indifferent overpriced pastis.

H.B. Pastis has a good reputation but in USA, a terrible importer. And anyway, it remains, at the end of the day, a pastis.

The 'Dr Roux Elixir' is just another assault on the sensibilities of the consumer, more of a bad joke than anything else.

All in all few people on this forum are going to ever take ANY product seriously is it is being hawked by Crillon, unless and until Michel Roux stops his snake-oil sales tactics. These tactics aren't working anyway. Most distributors were offended by the wink-and-nudge routine from Crillon's sales force, trying to hoodwink them into believing that Absente really was absinthe. It wasn't, it isn't. And it isn't even a decent pastis. Barf!

By Don_Walsh on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:19 am: Edit

Crillon sells shit.

By Tomjoad on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 11:17 pm: Edit

excuse me, Henri Bardouin

By Tomjoad on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm new to the forum although I've been lurking for sometime. I have had my first taste of the Green Elixer. Okay, actually I had four. This bottle of Deva has been sitting in my cabinet for two weeks now and I feel I showed ample self control. My plan was to share the experience with some Basque friends. We had recently spent an evening drinking Ricard and discussing Hemingway, the Spanish Civil War and absinthe. Unfortunately we have had some difficulty hooking up again and the Fairy's whisper finally became a shout. Anyway, I certainly wasn't disappointed. After reading the reviews here, I expected the Deva to taste very similar to modern Pernod but found it very subtle in comparison. There's something in the background that slightly reminds me of a fine cigar leaf. I won't attempt any further review due to inexperience and I'm sure everyone has tried it already.

I will however share my thoughts on another new drink I sampled. Elisir du Dr. Roux. I was attracted by the bottle which is covered with botanicals and has a nice cork stopper. This liquer boasts fourteen different herbs and spices of Provence. If you haven't already guessed, Dr. Roux is affliated with the imfamous Crillon Inst. I have no idea what this should be catagorized as. It is not a pastis although anise and fennel are both in there. Neat, it is somewhat remiscient of Lectric Shave. Diluted with water it resembles a not too unpleasant herbal tea. There is a fairly strong lemon taste and it is just too vegetable. Nice green crap floating in the bottom. All in all it will make a nice bud vase.
Has anyone tried Harry Bardouin(the Gran Cru of Pastis) also imported by Crillon? I'm a little leary now.

-Terry

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation