Interesting SC delivery?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Interesting SC delivery?
By Bob_Chong on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Matt--

In the future, order two bottles at once. The shipping cost is the same. The price breaks occur at various points (e.g., 5, 7, 10, etc.).

BC

By Malhomme on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Search the archives, this question gets asked every other day here. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Jim

By Malhomme on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

No risk.

By Mattb on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 02:02 pm: Edit

So does anyone here know for sure what the penalty would be for a bottle of absinthe being sent into the USA? I've ordered myself a bottle which has yet to arrive. It all seemed so easy, almost too easy (also from SC). Just wondering what sort of risk I'm taking here.

Matt

PS Hi - I'm new here. I'll introduce myself in a new post.

By Zack on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 12:30 am: Edit

"Did it look like they actually opened the package? Takes me forever to tear into an open from SC... "

lol, I was just picturing the postal inspector guy opening an SC package...then putting it back together, lol

By Semaphore on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Vera - Yes, someone definitely opened the package--SC had used brown tape and brown paper to seal the package and one end was obviously cut off and re-taped with clear tape. However, I cannot tell if the styrofoam was opened--it, however, was also wrapped with clear tape. SC also typically ties string around their packages, and there was none here. Go figure. Maybe we should see it as a good sign... (sip, sip)

TS

By Grimbergen on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I'm surprised you weren't forced to pay duties on it. Customs intercepted my shipment of 3 bottles of Pontarlier Anis. I had to go to the post office and cough up $25.

By Verawench on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Did it look like they actually opened the package? Takes me forever to tear into an open from SC...

By Semaphore on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:10 pm: Edit

It's pretty obvious that the Serpis was 55% alcohol, with tax seal, regardless of anyone purposely looking for absinthe. Makes ME feel real safe at night.

I have made multi-bottle shipments before--I may just keep it to two bottles from now on. Seems to be a pretty good deal for the postage costs, anyway.

Tyler

By Zack on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 11:47 am: Edit

The "personal use" thing is only for hand carrying across the border...It is basically illegal to send any kind of alcohol through the mail here in the US (if it crosses any borders). Wine people have a little campaign going to change the legislation regarding alcohol shipments. As I understand it right now, all it has to do is cross a state border, and its illegal. They probably just don't want to do the paper work for 2 bottles of booze, to collect the whole $3 of import taxes.

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:42 am: Edit

Morrigan,

as far as I know, alcohol can be brought into Germany for personal use without being taxed as well - but only one litre per person (if you cross the border in person). If you are friendly to the officers and openly say you have 2 litres they might be nice and don't charge you anything. I wouldn't count on that with 5 litres (my last order from SC).

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

Heiko, I believe an alcohol tax would only apply on large shipments - 2 bottles would fall under the "personal use" catagory and would not likely be taxed (I may be wrong here - Marc is in the bar biz and would likely know. Marc?)

Tyler - your package did get the ole' spot check, but I believe you are correct. Your "ugly red Serpis" was not recognized as contraband liquor, and having only 2 bottles didn't cause them to pursue you further. Sometimes we all take for granted the apparent ease of orders from SC - this is just a "gentle reminder" that 'it can happen to you' too!

- M

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Don't you have to pay alcohol tax on imported liquor?

I wouldn't want German customs to open a package and find 5 litres of high-proof spirits in it: it would reach me with an additional bill from the customs which would probably be higher than the bill from SC (spirits above 45% of alcohol, oh oh, very expensive!).

By Semaphore on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

Well... OK they open some, my point is it didn't seem to matter that they did. I was just wondering how often it happened or if it had ever happened to anyone else.

Cheers!

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

Spot checking, nothing more.

Like the do for illegals on the 405, many miles north of the border.

BC

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 07:41 am: Edit

artemis you...what's that noise?!

By Artemis on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 07:27 am: Edit

"I received a package from SC today that had a red stamp on it--"Opened, Inspected, Resealed by
U.S. Customs, JFK Mailbranch, Jamacia NY" The package had one end cut off and was re-taped with clear tape. All contents were intact. What's up with that?"

My guess is, the package was opened, inspected, and resealed by U.S. Customs, JFK Mailbranch, Jamacia NY.

"I had not noticed that stamp before."

Because it wasn't there before? It's not like they open every package, but they open some. Just drink the Serpis and relax until they come to getcha!

By Semaphore on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:37 am: Edit

Hello,

Been lurking for quite some time; I received a package from SC today that had a red stamp on it--"Opened, Inspected, Resealed by U.S. Customs, JFK Mailbranch, Jamacia NY" The package had one end cut off and was re-taped with clear tape. All contents were intact. What's up with that? I had not noticed that stamp before. Maybe it's good I had ordered ugly red Serpis and some fig flavored vodka.

Tyler

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation