Strangling the Parrot...Spanking the Monkey........whatever

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Strangling the Parrot...Spanking the Monkey........whatever
By Artemis on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

"l'absinthe rend fou!"

I'm reading a 19th century French tome that sarcastically allows the following:

"Anyone who deals with absinthes called Swiss for any considerable amount of time, is surely familiar with the medical and scientific papers which announce with an energetic perseverance the abuses made of this product, a frightening corrosive which kills our school children, decimates our armies and will fatally degenerate the rising generation."

But it concludes on a brighter note:

"In summary, wormwood, in medicine, has its useful properties like the majority of plants, but as a favorite daily drink, absinthe has its dangers and becomes too often disastrous. For sure, if this liqueur were always found under good conditions, it would wreak less devastation and would preserve a crowd of men useful to the country."

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:49 pm: Edit

On second thought, we all have to die of something.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

There will be no strangling of parrots in my presence, thank you very much!

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit

...or maybe the deadly word "ne" *g*

By Heiko on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

I wonder why they didn't just smuggle a trainload full of Absinthe into Germany in WWII - this would have defeated the nazis in seconds ;-)

--This somehow reminds me of the "deadly joke" sketch from Monty Pythons....

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

'étrangler le poulet'

Huh-huh...choking the ckicken...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 09:10 am: Edit

Whaaaa!!! We're a bunch of lunatics strangling parrots over our drink and pouring the parrot`s blood over sugar on our madman`s absinthe spoons... That's what gives this nice red color in Serpis !

(There`s no limit to human stupidity...)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 08:41 am: Edit

l'absinthe rend fou!

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 08:10 am: Edit

l'absinthe rend fou!

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 07:53 am: Edit

Careful Peter, if you strangle the parrot too often you can go blind and mad....

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

well, i won't say what i'm doing...

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 07:25 am: Edit

Even as we speak, I'm registering

By Petermarc on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 05:12 am: Edit

there were two terms like that; 'étrangler' means--to strangle/to choke--
'étrangler le perroquet'
'étrangler le poulet'
depending on if it was a green absinthe (parrot)
or white (chicken)...when you added water, gripping a long,tapered glass, it turned a milky white...

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 03:56 am: Edit

While browsing the website of the UK's Guardian newspaper, I chanced on this fine example of meticulously researched journalism:

"France revives absinthe friends

Jon Henley in Paris
Saturday January 6, 2001
The Guardian

The hallucinogenic green liquor which inspired Verlaine, Baudelaire, Manet and Toulouse-Lautrec to poetry and painting (and Vincent van Gogh to chopping off his ear) is back, in a recipe authenticated by a lecturer in cellular biology at a Paris university.
.....with the help of Marie-Claude Delahaye, director of the world's only absinthe museum outside Paris, a British company has succeeded in recreating the secret blend of wormwood, anise, lemon balm, hyssop and other aromatics.
"This is 68 proof, none of your rubbish," Ms Delahaye said proudly. The elegant bottles of La Fée - honouring absinthe's original nickname la fée verte (the green fairy) - will bear her signature.
Green Bohemia, the company responsible, says it ....plans to sell the terrifying tincture by mail order and the internet.
Introduced to France in the 1790s, the aniseed-flavoured spirit exercised an all too fatal charm on the French.
Accused of inducing hallucinations, convulsions, fits, insanity and not infrequently death, it was widely blamed for the French army's more than usually dismal performance at the beginning of the Great War.
Much of the appeal probably lay in the complex ritual of drinking it, known as "strangling the parrot". Special glasses with a hollow bubble at the bottom held the liquid, and drinkers, who asked for un train direct pour Charenton - a non-stop ticket to the Paris lunatic asylum - put a sugarlump on a perforated silver spoon and doused it with water, diluting and sweetening the drink to taste.

Not only are we told that absinthe led directly to the defeat of the French army in WW1, but that the absinthe ritual is known as "strangling the parrot". Really?

Maybe Petermarc can provide a French translation:
"étranglant le perroquet"??
Sounds like something the teachers warned us against at boarding school...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation