Refrigerate Absinthe?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Topics Archived thru April 2001:Refrigerate Absinthe?
By Wolfgang on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 09:32 am: Edit

I had no problem when keeping Deva in the fridg but surprizingly, I just found out I should not do that with Ricard Pastis ... It does tons of floaters in it.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Haven't tried absinthe in the fridge, but what I find extremely enjoyable is to chill the glass for at least half an hour before pouring.

By Rupert1029 on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I bought a bottle of Montana. The taste was dreadful. Hoping to improve the taste, I put it in the freezer. I tried it again....and the freezer did help a bit. However, do not take this as an endorsement for Montana. It still tasted like something my maid would use to mop the floor with.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

I've had floaters form from adding iced water to Deva. Doesn't really change the taste too much though.

What about keeping absinthe in the freezer? Would it bugger it up. Limoncello, vodka and gin are beautiful straight from the freezer. Ice-cool absinthe sounds a good idea to me.

Hobgoblin

By Morriganlefey on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

I've posted this question on a thread in the past, Pataphysician (about 8-10 months ago, if you check the archives). I believe the overwhelming responses were "no harm done", so my absinthe booty has always resided in my fridge, except for a select few special varieties, which are hidden away.

- M

By Wolfgang on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:54 am: Edit

I did that with Deva and N.S. without any problem. If the oil (herbal) content was very high compared to the alcohol level, it would have precipitate at low temp (like for segarra I guess).

If you like your absinthe very cold (as I do) I would suggest to put only a topette in the refrigerator, especially for Segarra.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

I keep it all in the fridge except for Segarra. If you keep that in the fridge it will throw a deposit that makes it look like Goldschlager when you hold it up to the light, doesn't affect the taste though.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

I've had precipitates form due to cold temps (read: floaters). They disappeared when the absinthe came back up to room temp.

By Pataphysician on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 08:28 am: Edit

What are folks' opinions on keeping Absinthe in the refrigerator?

I've never done it and I'm wondering: Any potential harm to the Absinthe? Do you think it helps or hinders the taste to serve it that cold?

Hurry with your answers, I'm going home at noon to put the bottle in the fridge unless somebody stops me.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation