Jumpin' on the bandwagon

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru April 2001:Topics Archived thru April 2001:Jumpin' on the bandwagon
By Mattb on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Well, I guess I haven't sampled the right blushes. I'll admit I've had a reasonable Rose, but I just don't have a sweet tooth and the few blushes I had sampled were awful.

As far as bikes, I agree about the city folk on the fully suspended bikes, probably heading over to Starbuck's. Silly.
It's really a matter of the right tool for the job. I went on a 3 hour offroad ride (about 25 miles with a lot of waiting for other members of the group) and I was glad to be on my machine and not some WalMart special.
When I ride around town I ride my chrome-fendered Schwinn cruiser (a restoration project last summer). Much more appropriate, and you just need a lock that make the bike inconvenient to steal. No one really wants it that bad.

The Deva was very good, I thought. Similar to Ouzo, but more complex and not as sweet. I just had it on the rocks and enjoyed it. I'll have a bit more again tonight. The flavors really concealed the fact it's 70% alcohol. So drinkable, I can imagine it would be easy to overindulge.

Anyway, it's almost cocktail hour. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers!

Matt

By Mattb on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Well, I guess I haven't sampled the right blushes. I'll admit I've had a reasonable Rose, but I just don't have a sweet tooth and the few blushes I had sampled were awful.

As far as bikes, I agree about the city folk on the fully suspended bikes, probably heading over to Starbuck's. Silly.
It's really a matter of the right tool for the job. I went on a 3 hour offroad ride (about 25 miles with a lot of waiting for other members of the group) and I was glad to be on my machine and not some WalMart special.
When I ride around town I ride my chrome-fendered Schwinn cruiser (a restoration project last summer). Much more appropriate, ad you just need a lock that make the bike inconvenient to steal. No one really wants it that bad.

The Deva was very good, I thought. Similar to Ouzo, but more complex and not as sweet. I just had it on the rocks and enjoyed it. I'll have a bit more again tonight. The flavors really concealed the fact it's 70% alcohol. So drinkable, I can imagine it would be easy to overindulge.

Anyway, it's almost cocktail hour. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers!

Matt

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Back to the bikes. For most city folk, expensive mountain bikes are like giant SUV's: ill-suited to their purposes and a waste of money. As an object maker, and student of yoga and ergonomics they are cringe-inducing to me. The huge knobby tires are loud and inefficient for every surfuce except mud and snow. Front and especially rear suspension are completely unnecessary even for most trail riders. The riding position on MTB's is an ergonomic nightmare: significant lordosis in the lower spine, shoulder blades up and forward, and the neck craned sharply. Without one of those nifty seats with a hole or groove in the middle, males are at significant risk for impotence.

I think the analogy between MTB consumerism and fine wine gourmetism is telling. As the bicycle is such an elegant machine, I think it is a perfect opportunity for people to buy a few tools and discover the joys of developing a sustainable, self-sufficient relationship with a complex "object". It's just you and a few hundred little pieces of metal and rubber. Experiencing the feedback between maintenance and use promotes awareness and conscientiousness, and can even lead to the revelation that there is no "bicycle", only relationship. It's a Heraclitean antidote to an atomistic, alienated world view. Instead, too many people choose to see it as just another prestigious luxury item that requires paid servants as intermidiaries in order to relate to it. Damn shame.

K.

By Petermarc on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

oh, and deva 70 ain't bad either...but i hate the bottle and label...too 70's (hey, maybe that's the idea!?)for me...

By Petermarc on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

deloach is very good, also frick...in france, chateau simone (palette)pibarnon (bandol)but the prices are ridiculous, even in france... there are very good rosés from corsica...actually rosés (real ones) are the hardest wines to make, which is probably why so many suck...

By Melinelly on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

yep, there are some respectable blushes developing out there... Eye of the Toad and a select white zin by Deloach come to mind.

By Tlautrec on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Welcome aboard, Matt.

I can't disagree with you about Gallo white zin, but I must confess to liking some of the finer "blush" wines out there, especially Domaine Tempier from Bandol and some of its Provençal cousins, as well as the "Eye of.." (tiger, partridge, etc.) wines from a number of the smaller wineries in the Napa Valley. These are dry, complex and wonderful quaffing wines.

By Mattb on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 04:02 pm: Edit

So after I spend a little time yesterday composing a wonderfully written, witty and interesting introduction for myself yesterday, I see now that it didn't post. Drat.

I've a little less time today, so I'll give you the reader's digest version.

Been lurking here a bit for a couple of weeks and decided to join in.
I'm Australian, but I've lived most of my life in the USA. Currently I live in the high country in Colorado.

I enjoy many of the finer things like wine, single malt scotch, beers of the world (love those Belgians), and a number of other things I probably shouldn't mention so as not to incriminate myself.

My Aunt and Cousin (her son) have a winery I spent a little time on called Killerby in Capel Western Australia. If any of you have a chance to sample Killerby wines, I'd love to hear your opinions. I think they're wonderful and so do many of the critics who have tasted them.

This drink that brings us together has intrigued me since I heard about it while pursuing my art degree. I've never had absinthe, but my wife tells me there's a package from Barcelona waiting for me at home, so it shouldn't be long.

To chime in on an old thread, I have to say a couple of things I couldn't then because I didn't have an account to post here. Boulder is a cool town, an oasis of culture in the Colorado desert. It has it's flaws (what city doesn't) but I think the good outweighs the bad. And for mountain bikes? Surely you all understand there are quality products and there are cheap products. Price isn't always the indicator, but it's usually a pretty good barometer. Have you ever heard someone proclaim how they love wine, only do go on and gush about the new flavor of white zin? That's a cheap, awful product and I would bet we'll be in agreement on that. Most $200 mountain bikes are the Gallo white zinfandel of mountain bikes. Some people think they are fine, but those who really know steer clear of them. That being said there are many fine bikes in the $500-$100 range, but as you also might know, once you've tasted the best it's hard to go back to cheap swill.

I look forward to discussing my experience with my first tasting. Talk to you all soon.

Matt

PS got the Deva 70

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation