Just how bad is absinthe for you and other questions...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Just how bad is absinthe for you and other questions...
By Martin on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

I've been drinking absithe fairly regularly since September 1999. I haven't noticed any ill effects whatsoever. Like others have already mentioned, alcohol is by far the most dangerous ingredient. In some ways absinthe even seems slightly less dangerous to me, I feel like I have better control of my senses while drunk on absinthe. It seems like there's less chance of me attempting to do anything foolhardy or life-threatening... like say, trying to drive anywhere.

-Martin

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Hobgoblin is right. America's drug laws that were adopted in the early 20th century were designed to criminalize the use of dangerous drugs which tended to be more popular within particular racial minority groups than within the Anglo majority: marijuana - Hispanics; opium - Chinese; cocaine - African-Americans. In 1919, by adopting Prohibition, the puritan blue noses also tried to make it illegal to manufacture or purchase the dangerous drug favored by the Anglo majority; however, as we all know, that turned out to be such a total fiasco that it was repealed right after FDR took office. Unfortunately, the continuing illegality of those other drugs is as corrosive on society as the prohibition of liquor was: it spawns extensive mafias and significant resulting political corruption; it engenders widespread disregard of and disrespect for the law; and it misappropriates public funds from legitimate public health needs to paramilitary inderdiction and "law enforcement" efforts that undermine our basic freedoms and civil rights.

End of rant.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 10:14 am: Edit

Scooby,

I've been drinking absinthe for about 2-3 years. It's basically just another type of booze, nothing more nothing less. A lot of bollocks has been talked about memory-loss etc., usually stirred up by people who want to market absinthe as some form of hallucinogen.

Drink ENOUGH absinthe and your brain will get fucked up, but then have a chat to a typical Wino and you'll find his brain is probably fucked up (and not from drinking absinthe). Booze is a very dangerous drug and always has been. Our society is hypocritical in treating booze as somehow a safe, harmless thing. This is bullshit (and prejudiced against certain ethnic and social groups). (I've gone a bit of your point a bit here but society's smug hypocrisy on this pisses me off).

Hobgoblin

PS I too liked Scooby Doo when I was growing up and I couldn't give a shit about what other people think about it either. Each to his own.

By Tlautrec on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Scooby-

(3) First active search for the stuff - summer of 1968 in Europe; first actual taste of a reasonable facsimile of it - last September (have drunk much ouzo/pastis/etc. in between).

By Wolfgang on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

1) 1 glass = 1 shot (1 to 1.5 Oz or 30-40 ml) with
3-4 shot of water, depending on type of glass and or absinthe.

2) too much : about every 2 weeks
normal : equivalent of 0-3 oz a day

3)I discovered absinthe this year.

4)70cl = 700 ml

5)Not bad at all. Clear headed sensation of floating "over" the alcohol buzz. Dreamy and somewhat lethargic on the next day (only when I drank more than 2-3 oz). No hangover if not mixed with other kind of alcohol. Very good appetite opener or digestive.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 08:21 am: Edit

1) 1pt absinthe to 3-4 of water.

2) Sometimes 3-4 times a week, sometimes once a month ( I have found myself drinking less lately...) But since I started, pretty regularly.

3) bout three years give or take

5) Don is right- ancient propaganda. Of course, there was some truth to it way back when- cheaper brands were sometimes colored with poisonous metal salts. Not the good stuff mind you, just the rotgut McAbsinthes.

6) Only in New Jersey, and even then you need a priest and you'd damn well better remember to wash the donkey first.

By Pataphysician on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

>Trivia question--right or left? (no fair peeking at the artwork)

Here you'll find a detailed explanation, including a helpful graphic. Scroll down a bit and look for the ear.

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/misc/faq.htm

By Daedelus on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 09:48 pm: Edit

it depends on whether a self portrait is a mirror image or not, no?

By Semaphore on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Trivia question--right or left? (no fair peeking at the artwork)

By Artemis on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 03:25 pm: Edit

If ever I find out your postal addresses, one of you is going to get a bloody ear some day, and then you'll know exactly what absinthe does to me.

By Terminus on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:00 am: Edit

LMAO @ the post by Chrysippvs

Don't let these people lie to you...absinthe is poison. It made me beat my girlfriend and worship Bhaal. Tha' stuff is
toxic, the thujone makes you brain all crazy like. Right now my dog Leroy won't stop writing poetry for me. And he
knows the feds want a piece of me...well they can come and get it. My fairy army will protect me, they always
do....

By Semaphore on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 06:51 pm: Edit

My two cents--

1) I prefer 1 part absinthe to 2-3 parts water. Any more than that, and to me the flavors seem too diluted. I prefer absinthe that I can drink and enjoy with or without sugar.

2) Only after dinner, usually 2-3 glasses.

3) Several months, off and on. I have gotten more interested after finding this forum, that's for sure.

5) No worse than Big Macs and fries. That stuff will probably kill you a lot faster. Depending on the brand, I find I have a general pleasant feeling the next day. Deva and Segarra give me a headache for some reason.

By Pataphysician on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

"There's a lot of nutrition in a bushel of corn." - William Faulkner to his family when they expressed concern about his phenomenal intake of bourbon.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Alcohol wasn't invented, it was discovered. A particular distillation or fermentation technique could be said to be invented, but alcohol is alcohol. Depending upon your ontology, either God invented it, or it just is.

K.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 04:40 pm: Edit

What?
Hey I gotta go... I got pork chops in the oven

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:57 am: Edit

Afterthought: We might be healthier if we looked at absinthe (and other alcoholic drinks) as a kind of food. You don't need to take it, any more than you need to eat asparagus, tofu, or beef. You might really enjoy it in appropriate amounts.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:42 am: Edit

I don't remember when I started drinking absinthe -- but I'm sure it hasn't affected my memory. ;-)

I think less than a year ago. My first experiences with Deva are documented in the archives here somewhere.

Blackjack and Don are right. The thing to be afraid of in absinthe is the alcohol, and alcohol is very dangerous, but it's an enjoyable part of life for a lot of us.

I think if alcohol were invented yesterday instead of ~3000 years ago, it would probably be banned for human consumption -- except, because of its health benefits in small amounts, persons over 45 could consume about 2 ounces a day, with a doctor's prescription. Sounds like a fun world to live in, doesn't it?

I don't like more than 2 or 3 glasses of absinthe in one sitting, but that's because I really don't drink to get drunk any more. A glass or two after a meal is fine.

By Heiko on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

1) I asked that question recently and found out most people use one shot of Absinthe which is about 25-30ml (a normal shot glass) with as much water as they like, depending on taste. Refer to this as "one glass".

2)Sometimes every night, sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes one, sometimes two, sometimes three glasses...but don't take me as a good example...

3)What I worry about is the alcohol only! I started drinking alcohol at 16 (pretty late compared to a lot of others) and I've been drinking Absinthe for four months now (and almost no other alcohol since then!).

5)I feel it doesn't affect me at all - but if it did, I would have to say in only a positive manner. But I guess that's just the fun I gained from tasting different Absinthes.
Just read the posts in this forum: it's hard to find a forum on the net where so many intelligent people post - obviously they still have their short term memory!
If my English is bad from time to time - I'm not a native speaker, so don't blame the Absinthe...

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 10:31 am: Edit

Don't let these people lie to you...absinthe is poison. It made me beat my girlfriend and worship Ba'al. Tha' stuff is toxic, the thujone makes you brain all crazy like. Right now my dog leroy won't stop writing poetry for me. And he knows the feds want a peace of me...well they can come and get it. My fairy army will protect me, they always do....

By Melinelly on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

1. i usually go with 1 part absinthe and 3-5 parts water... how much exactly depends on the glass i'm using though =)

2. i drink absinthe probably at least two or three times a week. sometimes only a glass, but usually two or three. aside from absinthe, my other regular drinks are beer and gin & tonics.

3. i've been drinking absinthe close to a year. drinking in general since i was 13-14 also. (26 now)

By _Blackjack on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 08:47 am: Edit

Quote:

The obvious one. How bad is it for you? Any worse than just alcohol?

Keep in mind, it is pretty tough to find anything worse for you than "just alcohol." It is about as broadly toxic a substance as you can find in general human consumption, not to mention addictive. Yet even it can be used safely in moderation by most people. Go fig...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 05:08 am: Edit

1. More like 1 part of absinthe to 4-6 parts water.
2. Imponderable.
3. I started drinking at 13-14 a LONG time ago when the legal age in my home town of NOLA was still 18. But I didn't have absinthe till a little more than 18 months ago, and I am half a century old. Wish I had rediscovered it sooner.
4. 1 cl = 10 ml
5. I hate to disappoint you but it's just the alcohol that will get you if you let it. The rest is ancient propaganda.

By Scoobydoo on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 02:18 am: Edit

Now before everyone blasts me away, I just wanted to ask a few questions for general interest :)

1)People constantly refer to "glasses" of absinthe. (such as, if I have three glasses; I won't be able to count) So how much is in a glass? Is it like 1 shot of absinthe and 2 to 4 shots of water?

2) It seems that a lot of people ont he forum drink pretty regularly. Is it like a once a week drink? Or 4 times a week drink? or every night drink? And along those same lines, is it 3 glasses a night? or 1 glass a night?

3) How long as everyone been drinking absinthe? 1 year? Over 5 years? 10 years? Has it affected memory or anything like that? I just remember a webpage I saw about a guy who claimed he homebrewed his absinthe in college and drank it everyday for like 5 years and now says his short-term memory has gone to shit.

When did everyone start drinking absinthe? I feel like the youngest one here! I am only 21 and my friends and I love it as a substitute for the more hostile drinks available at college. It seems like a lot of people in the forum are well established in there careers and everyhing.

4) Is 70cl equivalent to 750ml?

5) The obvious one. How bad is it for you? Any worse than just alcohol? Any ideas?

So I guess those are my major questions. If you don't want to post, feel free to email me at my address b/c I would love to have an idea of what the crowd here is all about.

I am gonna be having some nice dreams tonight!
Eric

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation