Herring and one never ending night...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Herring and one never ending night...
By Martin on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 02:27 am: Edit

Horchata kicks ass. It's one thing I really miss about not living in Chicago any more.

I agree with the Sake comments... especially when compared to warm Sake (as if there were any other way to have it).

Why can't I buy Oxygenee' at my local liquor store? Oh wait, I almost forgot: because God pisses down the back of your neck every day, until it finally drowns you and you die.

*I had some great sushi last Wednesday. Gotta love that eel!*

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 11:15 pm: Edit

To me, it seems like Segarra is actually made from real ingredients, not just a mixing of oils and essences like the other Spanish. There is a great deal of care going into its production, and that romance, that Julian Segarra of Chert mythology, are all parts of what makes it fun to drink. The other Spanish, tasty or not, are soulless and boring in that regard. Deva is the Budweiser of absinthe, IMO.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 06:56 am: Edit

Segarra is OK, I now quite like it but I too can't see what the fuss is all about.

It's got a nice sort of honey flavour, but in my opinion Serpis and Sebor are miles better than Segarra and Deva is slightly better than Segarra. Segarra is however miles better than Mari Mayans, Lasalla and Montana, in my opinion.

I suppose it's all about personal taste, different flavours tickle different taste-buds.

By Semaphore on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 12:18 am: Edit

I can't stand Segarra, and I don't know what the fuss is over it--it's over priced and EXTREMELY oily. And no secondary effects here! Yes it's complex, but that doesn't make it good. I have really tried to like the stuff, but no can do. With or without sugar, I do not like it. La Fee is complex AND good !!

We need to get SC to carry La Fee.

By Heiko on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 05:01 am: Edit

Zack, you're right - there is a component in Segarra that is very much like Sake.
I was just reminded of the taste of Sake when I read your post, haven't had it for long.

By Aion on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 09:40 pm: Edit

The taste of Segarra reminds me of yeast cakes
with raisins in it. Had one of these cakes (called "Striezel" or "Milchbrötchen" here in Austria) for breakfast today and the similarity of tastes is astonishing.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Also, when people say they don't like Butterscotch, are they talking about those luminescent Brach's things in the yellow cellophane, or the real stuff? I never cared for the stuff much until I had the expensive kind. Actually, I still don't love it, or anything, but it doesn't seem like a detestable confection, if it is well made.

By Zack on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 07:29 pm: Edit

"what others refer to as a butterscotch flavor, i perceive as a creamy spice... not unlike horchata... possibly cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, or a combination of those."

I agree with that. I can see how it can be described as butterscotch, but its not that close. It reminds me of the flavor of Sake (saki). I also taste the same flavor in Deva, but not nearly as heavy.

By Melinelly on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

martin, segarra is certainly different than other modern absinthes, but to say that it doesn't taste like absinthe is assuming that the other products someone's had do... since having tasted the Jade products in nola, i have to say that nothing available that i've had comes close... mind you, i still have yet to taste a la bleue...

when i drink segarra now however, it reminds me ever so faintly of a weak "dirty" version of Jade's "Gorgon" absinthe with a hint of traditional absinthe flavors... what others refer to as a butterscotch flavor, i perceive as a creamy spice... not unlike horchata... possibly cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, or a combination of those.

i recently had the opportunity to try La Fee, and i've got a couple bottles coming back with my sis-in-law in about a month... it's sweeter than some spanish brands, and the core flavors resemble Deva... the alcohol tastes cleaner than Deva tho, and the flavors blend together more... there are one or two flavors in La Fee that distinguish it from Deva... and the color is crazily artificial... straight in the glass it was a deep malachite green, and as i said to mel and morrigan, the louche was "Incredible Hulk green" it was scary...

i like La Fee, but until the Jade comes out, Segarra is still tops in my collection... La Fee is battling for the number two spot... which will be decided once i've got a bottle of my own... needless to say i'd like it more if not for the frightening artificial coloring =)

By Heiko on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

My thoughts on Segarra were somewhat different - I thought if this had been my first encounter with Absinthe, I would have thought 'ah, that's what Absinthe tastes like'. My first Absinthe was Deva, and I was very surprised it tastes so fresh. Having a Segarra as my first Absinthe would have surprised me less, I guess.
But after having tasted some other Spanish brands I was more or less very surprised with Segarra...

But I agree that Segarra diluted 1:4 or more needs sugar, while less diluted it doesn't. The same with Herring in my opinion.

By Martin on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I agree with Anatomist about not diluting Segarra too much. I actually think it's pretty good straight as well. One odd thing I noticed is that when diluted 1:1 or 1:2 it really is best without added sugar, but when done at higher ratios, 1:4 or 1:5, then sugar really is needed, it kind of cuts down on "watery-ness". So I say: Low ratio - no sugar, high ratio - must have sugar. This applies pretty much to Segarra, though I wouldn't be suprised if this was true with some of the other brands too.

Even though I like Segarra, I can totally understand why others don't like it. It's flavor is a little too far removed from what many consider absinthe. A friend of mine put it best when he said, "If someone gave me a glass of this and said, 'Here try this new [not absinthe] drink called Segarra', I probably would have liked it, but since I tried it assuming it to taste like absinthe, I do not like it." Oh well, he gave me his entire bottle (minus the one glass he had), so at least I got a free bottle of Segarra.

I would really like to try La Fee, but yes, I too think it's unneccesary to pay so much for it just because I don't live in the U.K. And, yes I will order a bottle of the Jade when it comes out. I owe it to myself to at least try it, and I'm sure it's as good as everyone says it is. If I like it, I'm sure I will probably purchase more, but I'll never stop drinking Herring, Segarra, Serpis, and Deva (and occasionally MM). Until I can go to any local liquor store and get any absinthe I want, I will continue to use my "local dealer" and SC, both of which deal with the Spanish brands almost exclusively.

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I asked Cristina at Spirits Corner once if they anticipated stocking La Fee. Her answer, as I recall, was that they could not sell it outside of UK, and it had something to do with SC's arrangement of accepting payment in UK, and shipping from Spain.

Lets conduct an experiment. Heiko, send her an email and ask her the same question. It was several months ago that I did, maybe things have changed.

As usual, she answered me very politely and timely.

By Heiko on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

There seems to be a mysterious reason La Fée can only be sold in the UK. I asked the distributor why they won't sell it in Germany, and they answered they would like to, but unfortunately can't do it. Whatever that means, whatever the reason is - I think SC just doesn't get any La Fée.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 01:10 pm: Edit

I wonder why Spirits Corner can't get La Fee. It probably wouldn't cost any more than Segarra, and they have to know we'd buy the hell out of it.

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I recall buying Sebor for around 40.00 per bottle, and it only took 2 days to get it from The Czech Republic. That was over a year ago though. Inflation in Bavaria ?

Zack, I agree that Sebor is Czech Piss, but if you have had other Czech Piss (i.e. Hills, King, Original, and the other one that I can't say or spell) you must agree that Sebor is best of the Czech Breed ?

By Zack on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Well, if you buy Sebor from the recommended distributor in the buyer's guide it will cost about $150 (US) for two bottles. But, the bottles are 0.5l so its the same amount of liquor as 1 normal bottle. $150 is pretty close to $180, and Sebor is pretty much "Czech piss"

By Heiko on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 11:50 am: Edit

Rupert, I know. I don't think anyone ever paid $180 for Czech piss!
But I won't pay $180 for La Bleue either.
I'd rather take the money and throw it right out of my window. Would at least feel better - being offered something for 4 times its actual worth is IMO just like being told "I think you are stupid!".
I guess I'll get some flogging as well now...

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

My statement about "180.00 per bottle" referred to LaBleue. I hope Czech Piss doesn't cost that much. I didn't pay that.

By Dread on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

Rupert1029 - Sounds like you really want/need to be flogged. Since you live so close maybe I should volunteer...

By Heiko on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

"I am still trying clear my palatte of the Czech Piss I tried over a year ago, and it will be cold day in South Texas before I pay 180.00 for any bottle of liquer"

Rupert, I totally agree - this is not cheap, but very wise indeed!

I drink Segarra 1:4 with very cold water (important!!) and some sugar. This really improves its taste. Without sugar, 1:2 is enough - not more or it begins to taste watery in my opinion

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

Anatomist, I dilute Segarra 1:4. Will try your way, maybe it'll help me appreciate the taste better. ( and perhaps cut down on my floggings).As for other choices...I'm with you, but I am still trying clear my palatte of the Czech Piss I tried over a year ago, and it will be cold day in South Texas before I pay 180.00 for any bottle of liquer, regardless of how good it is. Having said that, I am ready for flogging over being cheap.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 09:56 am: Edit

How much do you dilute the Segarra? I find it tastes much better 1:1 or 1:2 with water and a couple of ice cubes then it does more dilute. Deva or Serpis, on the other hand, I like more like 1:4 with water or carbonated water and more ice. It's like Good 'n Plenty soda. Actually, I now find all this spanish stuff merely OK. I'm ready for something more interesting.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 09:43 am: Edit

I wouldn't flog you, Rupert (unless you ask politely). I like the herbi-ness of Segarra, I think it is a more complex & flavorful product then any other spanish, but I HATE BUTTERSCOTCH - always have, always will. And the caramely/butterscotchy-ness of Segarra is an unfortunate addition to an otherwise nice absinthe, in my opinion.

All this just goes to show that tastes differ, and there is no one single "best" absinthe.

- M

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 08:48 am: Edit

Heiko, I didn't mean to be snobby about Herring. Wasn't intended that way. It just gave me a NASTY headache once that I will never forget. Also, I'm in the minority like you. I'm a Serpis guy. Even though I like Deva ok, when I drink it after NS, it tastes like dirty swamp water. After I make this next statement, I am sure to be flogged, but..here goes....

"I think Segarra tastes like caramelly, chocalaty, syrupy, sugary, yucky, slop".
- Rupert "The Naked Absinthe Drinker"

Having made that statement, I am ready to receive my flogging.

Sir, May I have another ?

By Martin on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I am in total agreement with you about Herring. It may not be as complex or "fancy" as most other absinthes, but it is definately the best party drink. I too, find myself having another, and another, and another, and another.... Something about it makes it very easy to drink. I think it has a good "secondary effect" too.

And it never gave me a headache or a hangover either. It's a very enjoyable drink. Sure, Segarra is way way better, but so what... that doesn't make Herring worthless. I don't feel compelled to only drink San Pelligrino, sometimes tap water is just fine (well, I suppose it depends on the safety of your local water, doesn't it?). Sometimes I think people are a little too uptight and "snobby" when it comes to absinthe. I like all the different brands I like for different reasons. They all (well, almost all) have something to offer.

There are alot of Serpis fans in this Forum, even though the bottle is crappy looking and its taste really isn't anything better or more interesting than Herring. For whatever reason, Herring is getting bad wrap, unfairly in my opinion.

By Wormwood on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 04:03 am: Edit

"I want you to go into the forest and chop down the greatest tree with... a Herring!"

-- The Knights of Ni

By Heiko on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 08:05 pm: Edit

I can only say - no headache. I like the taste also, it's more citrussy than everything else, doesn't taste like typical Absinthe (well, what is typical? I guess Jade, which I don't know yet).

I was able to pour one glass after another and it still tasted good and didn't make me too drunk, yet drunk enough to like it... something like that.

I think I won't drink any Absinthe for the next few days and I won't drink any Herring for at least two weeks ;-)

By Semaphore on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Herring is pleasant enough, but somewhat sour and grassy. It is one of a few brands that does not give me a headache the next day. I'd drink it if I had no Mari Mayans or La Fee.

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 05:48 pm: Edit

YIKES...the word Herring gives me a headache. The only 2 Absinthes that have ever given me a hangover are Herring and Montana. I can't touch them anymore....prolly good since I don't like those brnads anyway.

By Heiko on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 06:24 am: Edit

I went to a friend's house yesterday in the late evening. I had a backpack filled with Segarra, Serpis, Mari Mayans 50 and Herring with me, just in case we wanted to drink something ;-)

We started with a glass of Segarra which made us drunk pretty quick - couldn't easily pronounce words correctly anymore but nevertheless talked faster than ever before - one Serpis after that, it was good, so we had an MM after that which also tasted very good, so we had a Herring after that. We agreed on one more Herring, and one more, and one more, and even one more....

I didn't count anymore - we almost emptied the bottle, it was at least 9 Herring for each of us until now. It kept us alive the whole night while we were setting up an NT server system and another Win2000 system simultaneously (this is some funny thing to do on saturday night, even some of you might not understand...).
"Coffee?" - "Nah, let's have another Herring!"

From 11 p.m. until 2 p.m. there wasn't any thought about going to sleep - then suddenly I became too tired to go on further, in addition to that my friend's girlfriend stopped by and I did not want to give the impression of a fucked up alcoholic (she never drinks...) so I hastily went home ;-)

I can't explain it: we simultaneously agreed on drinking much too much - only Herring, not one thought about the other brands anymore...
I guess I was right with my first impression that the "keeping awake" effect in Herring is stronger than in other brands.

I didn't even know I could drink as much as that...and not once was there a feeling of being too drunk...amazing...

I give Herring an A+ as a party drink and go to sleep now - I'm feeling a little hollow...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation