Absinthe Poster + Fountain

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Absinthe Poster + Fountain
By Verawench on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 11:55 pm: Edit

uhhh... sorry, didn't notice how old this thread was ::slaps forehead::

By Verawench on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Hope they're not wearing heels, or this could get ugly.

::starts chanting "Je-rry, Je-rry":::

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

Buckaroo Bonzai?

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Laugh-a while you can monkeyboy...

Nice? I hate nice.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 10:05 am: Edit

Now boys...be nice (or take a cold shower.)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 09:20 pm: Edit

You must be blocked up.

And you can't create, either. Ba-dum-bum.

Whenever you come around with that Wilbanksy 'tude like you've had the past few days, it means you can't work, haven't been laid, or you're just constipated.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

I really don't know what an 'artsy fartsy cockblocker' is, and don't know if I want to. I'm guessing from the context this is generally a bad thing? I don't wear black, never really have, and have very little affinity with the many other artists I've met. Your head is so full of cheap cliches, Chong, I'm surprised it doesn't interfere with your remarkable propensity to be a wreaking asshole.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 08:53 pm: Edit

very little difference?

Oh, besides the pesky little details like you the writers, directors, actors, and setting?

Quit being such an artsy fartsy cockblocker. You've tried to set up some kind of trap in which anyone who doesn't like thirtysomething automatically becomes a victim of "see-I-told-you-so." Everyone must like it?

Refusing to goose step to the black clad artiste's little whims,

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I see very little difference between the different Zwick/Herskovitz productions, except for the age group and concomittant concerns of the focal characters. Their quality, insight, casting, acting, and boiled-down simplicity are remarkably consistent. They are all parts of a consistent, developing body of work. That's why the shows are a great litmus test. Proclaimed affection for one and criticism for another reveals the insularity and inflexibility of the critic. If you only found one point of entry, that's one thing, but if you feel compelled to cop an attitude about one over the other and fan it out for onlookers, you've been outed. Despite what bumper-stickers and commercials tell you, attitude isn't everything...

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I adored My So Called Life. It was so right-on. If it had gotten the proper promotion and attention, it might not have died the premature death that it did (but then again, things that die before their time are so often revered much more than those that overstay their welcome, no?)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Thirtysomething wasn't about yuppies. It was about boomers. It was Big Chill lite, for the small screen. Simple melodrama, nothing earth shattering either way, good or bad. Worth spending the time watching it? Probably not.

So Called Life was great. Like all great shows, it disappeared all too soon. Freaks and Geeks was another that suffered that fate.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

I liked NORTHERN EXPOSURE quite a bit, but I thought it got stale when they brought in the new doc. The first year was way funnier than all the others put together. Adam and Eve were the best, and Graham Greene's medicine man was excellent.

I can't give it top nod for a drama show though. I'd have to say CRACKER with Robbie Coltrane was way high (BBC), also the SHERLOCK HOLMES series with Jeremy Brett was astoundingly faithful to the books and just plain awesome. Stateside, I put THIRTYSOMETHING in the number one seat. I think it's great that so many people have and had such knee-jerk disdain for it because it was about 'yuppies'. Kind of a litmus-test of superficiality and conformist posturing. Everything Zwick has done on TV seems dead-on to me: THIRTYSOMETHING, MY SO CALLED LIFE, RELATIVITY, and ONCE AND AGAIN. Just fostering the character of Miles Drentel alone gets him my lifetime achievement award.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 12:20 pm: Edit

hayahaya ypsinaya

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 11:32 am: Edit

"I have to agree with Northern Exposure being one of the best TV series ever; I have about 40 episodes on VHS. However, I was immediately drawn to a couple of the characters."

When I first saw it, I couldn't imagine why anybody would design a TV show specifically so that every character would get under my skin; make me want to slap every one of them. But I was drawn to it all the same. After having seen the whole five or so years worth of episodes, I paused recently to think about which character I could identify with, and it was every one of them. So human, so flawed, so beautiful. For those who haven't seen it, it's constantly rerun on the A&E channel, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I highly recommend it. Excellent soundtracks as well. The episode where Adam Ant is on stage with the Indians (he with a Les Paul, they with various Indian drums) is one of my favorites.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit

I'm not "into animated violence", I'm into good uncensored cartoons -- if they are violent, so be it. Itchy & Scratchy are different from the old ones in that the violence is literal and graphic, instead of harmlessly 'cartoony'. I'm not sure whether the Simpson's are lampooning the old cartoons, or making a statement about the progressive desensitisation of today's kids, both, or neither...

Check out John K.'s site. You have to fish through it for a while to find all the stuff in it - poor overall design. In the Onion interview on the home page he discusses a lot of this stuff. He did the original REN & STIMPY and bizarre updates of some of the HannaBarberra stuff. His new cartoons WEEKEND PUSSY HUNT and THE GODDAMN GEORGE LIQUOR SHOW should be up on the internet again soon. I'd say he's more like the really old bizzare cartoons than anyone I know of.

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

I've got just two words for you all:

Speed Racer

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

"Transformers took over, which were diametrically opposed to everything good old ones like Toons, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, etc.. stood for."

Popeye!! I'm glad you mentioned it. Popeye devolved over time, becoming P.C. and all that, but the OLD Popeye cartoons are magnificent. Weird, violent, kinky, and funny. In fact, the BEST cartoons are the black and white ones you see the mobsters watching in the movie "Ghost Dog". The ones where the characters move to that funny bouncing rhythm and all. Felix the Cat is especially cool, too.

I have a respectable collection of old "Underground" comic books, and I love those, too.
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, S. Clay Wilson (see my profile) and of course, the master, Robert Crumb.

By Heiko on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 02:28 am: Edit

Anatomist, if you like uncensored cartoon violence, don't forget the Itchy and Scratchy show ;-)

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

The Transformers rule, flesh-creature!

Mainly after the movie. Before it was blah, but after- criminy.

I mean, where else can you see a robot that turns into a truck screaming in horror when he realizes he's the mechanical equivalent of the undead, resurrected for the purposes of betraying those he once lead? I mean, sure, Daffy's cool and all, but he never had to beg Bugs to put him back in the grave cause he was already dead, y'know?

Also, Orson Welles did the voice of the giant floating robot head, which is always a plus.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I suggest revisting the Looney Toons gang. Many of the ones I thought boring as a kid turned out to be later favorites. One thing to remember is that they weren't originally intended for kids. When animation became 'Saturday Morning Cartoons' it went to hell because the studios decided that kids are too stupid to need quality. Soon atrocities like the Smurfs and the Transformers took over, which were diametrically opposed to everything good old ones like Toons, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, etc.. stood for. The old cartoons were about visual fun, rugged individuality, and exaggerated human foibles. The Smurfs were about conformity, group-think, and nauseatingly cloying moral lessons regarding cooperation, respect, etc...

In fact, most of those old toons have been cut by PC do-gooders because they contain too much violence, sexual innuendo, and racial stereotyping. It is difficult to see them in their entirety anymore. Censored cartoons page:

My favorite Looney Toons are the Wile E. Coyote ones where he talks, and Foghorn Leghorn - I love how it always starts with him lifting the dog up by the tail, paddling his ass with a board, then running out to a line he has drawn marking the edge of dog's lead... also the ones with the chickenhawk and the little poindexter kid are great.

By Zack on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 05:03 pm: Edit

I have to agree with Northern Exposure being one of the best TV series ever; I have about 40 episodes on VHS. However, I was immediately drawn to a couple of the characters.

By Artemis on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 01:48 pm: Edit

"I guess it depends on what you think 'good' animation is."

It's all relative. I consider "The Simpsons" and "Futurama" to be pretty good. "Fantasia" was better than pretty good, as was most of the old Disney stuff. I'm not much of an animation afficionado, I guess. I know I have no use for that Japanese crap where every character has eyes the size of dinner plates, looking like Bambi in the headlights.

By Artemis on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

"I hate Bugs as much as the next guy, but I think you're kinda supposed to, like the Roadrunner."

I hadn't really thought about it that way, but I see your point. I remember when I first saw "Northern Exposure". I hated every character in it. I had never seen a show filled with such unlikable characters. But I was drawn to it, hung with it, and now have seen every episode five or six times. I rate it now as one of the best four or five TV shows of all time. I guess I got sick of those Warner Bros. cartoons before I was mature enough to see the irony in them.

By Grimbergen on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

For pouring I use a beer bottle with a liquor pourer.

By Pataphysician on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Scooby, change your name to Anatomist2.

For posters see:

I haven't gotten any posters from him, but I did get his silver-plated reproduction spoons. Very nice, but I don't know if he still has any.

For pouring, look around for an old decantor with a narrow spout. I've got several that work nicely, but the best is a 1927 silver decantor, kind of a triangular/circular thing, very hard to describe. Shaped like a Pinch scotch bottle, ever seen those? I got it at an estate sale for $12. It pours perfectly and makes you feel classy.

By Tlautrec on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 11:51 am: Edit

I use either (1) a cream pitcher that has a narrow spout, which is elegant but requires patience and some dexterity, or (2) when I'm impatient and not feeling particularly dextrous, the ole kitchen faucet tightened down to a fast drip or a slow narrow stream, which works great, but is not aesthetically pleasing. Oh well, can't have perfection all the time...

By Heiko on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

How about:
"The Absintheur Formerly Known As Scoobydoo"
...I don't mind what screennames others use, but sometimes I feel the need to post a silly remark...

Anatomist, are you afraid Scoobydoo will rip of your mask and reveal that you are not Anatomist but the wicked Dr. Evil who wants to conquer the world? ;-)

I use a plastic water bottle too, sometimes a nice little glass pitcher that came with my espresso-machine...very authentic ;-)
...and of course a pilsner beer glass which is pretty similar to a 'choppe yvonne' glass (well, not really, but a little similar)

btw I recently found a set of 6 of the glasses SC sells as Absinthe glasses, guess where...at my parents' house - they bought it in the supermarket as a set of cheap everyday wine-glasses ...exactly the same...

By Melinelly on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 10:03 am: Edit

scooby: as for water pouring implements, i usually use a cheap plastic beer cup i got at an A's game =) holds enough for a few glasses and it bends, so it's easy to pour with.

on the subject of animation, particularly in the bay area, the sony Metreon theater has inaugurated it's new digital projector with a showing of Akira. not sure how long it's gonna be there, but i'll probably be going sometime this week.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 08:57 am: Edit

How about The Motherfucker? It's a contemporary yet epic title, worthy of begrudging respect. Like, "Man, this place used to be allright 'til The Motherfucker came." or "Did you read what The Motherfucker posted last night? Gawd dammm!"

Or, if that seems too heavy, how about IusedtobecalledScoobydoountilsomeassholegavemeahardtimeaboutit ?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 08:38 am: Edit

ART: I guess it depends on what you think 'good' animation is. I don't think it has to be sophisticated to be good, but it does have to show some effort, imagination, or expressiveness. I like some cartoons where the animation is of secondary importance, like THE SIMPSONS and FUTURAMA. They're not especially cartoony, except occasionally.

What's wrong with Daffy Duck? He's greedy, cowardly, bitter, conniving, envious, and just smart enough to fuck himself over repeatedly without learning anything. What's not to love? You're telling me you don't like the classic "Shoot me now!" scene with Elmer Fudd, or the one where Bugs and Daffy discover the cave full of treasure and the spirit in the lamp? Of course, I hate Bugs as much as the next guy, but I think you're kinda supposed to, like the Roadrunner. Any character who is that smug and gets what they want so eaily - often to the tune of defying the physical laws set within the cartoon itself - is sure to bring out the Daffy in us.

Marc: I could go for Master of the Grinding Axe, except after a while it'll get shortened to MOGA, and everywhere I go, people will say "Hey MOGA, what the fuck does 'MOGA' mean anyway?"

Chyrysysyspys: Well, at least I don't LOOK like the guy who runs the comic shop. I have a closely shaven head and I'm a fitness nut.

By Artemis on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 07:00 am: Edit

The Scooby Doo cartoons do stink, but so do a lot of others with much better animation IMO (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck).

Cartoons don't have to have superb animation to be great. Dexter's Lab is one of the best things on TV, let alone one of the best cartoons. It's interesting that the drawing gets better in the fantasy sequences, such as when the children are doing a role-playing game and Dexter is forced to be a lowly hobbit rather than the wizard he wants to be.

Johnny Bravo and the Powerpuff Girls are right up there, too.

By Malhomme on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

"...what people use to pour the water into the glass."

I use an old Pernod carafe. I had a difficult time finding something that worked and yet didn't detract from the feel of it all (a la squirt bottle). I figured that the old carafes were made for this so they must work best. And they do! No more water running down onto the table. It works great! Ian at Absinthe Originals has reasonable prices on his wares, and has some pretty nice carafes too.

By Marc on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:22 pm: Edit

may I call you "Master Of The Grinding Axe"?

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Scooby is just the name I chose for my college email address and it has stuck ever since. I tried every other combination of my name for my email address but all were taken so I decided to just do some sort of cartoon character. I loved scooby doo when I was young, so there ya have it.
Simple really...Maybe I should change my name to:
Poontanger...or maybe Soon2BMD...or even Geneticist....Any good ideas? Mr. Anatomist....

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:12 pm: Edit

You remind me of the guy on the Simpsons that runs the comic book shop.

I can see it now, "worst absinthe ever"

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Hey Scoobydoo,

Why do you name yourself after one of the lamest cartoons in cartoon history? The animation is crap, the gags are sub-moronic, and the show stands as a pivotal down-turn in animation history. I liked it when I was a kid too, but I look back on it as an unavoidable embarassment attributable to the fact that I had an ill-formed mind. Nothing to celebrate and wax nostalgic about. In fact, it pisses me off that Hanna-Barberra fed me that unimaginative crap to hustle a buck, while real animators were ignored and forced to work part-time jobs.

I know, I know. 'There goes anatomist again, knocking the other fella's merchandise'. But, think about it. If someone came on here and called himself "Custer", would you think: "Oh, that's cool. That guy's into general Custer." ? or would you say "Hey Custer, why are you named after one of the biggest, most clueless assholes in american history?"

For real cartoons, check the cable TV Cartoon Network shows: TOON HEADS, TEX AVERY, and CHUCK JONES. Or check John K's site (REN AND STIMPY): http://www.spumco.com/ . He has two new web cartoons, THE GODDAMN GEORGE LIQUOR SHOW and WEEKEND PUSSY HUNT, and a new web commercial at http://www.quisp.com/ (just click the TV screen in the lower left hand corner).

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Scooby -

The fountain currently on Ebay (probably the one you saw) is a Muse Verte fountain - NOT OLD. The original belle epoch fountains, if and when you can find them, usually run 4-figures. The green pottery Muse Verte fountains can be found now and then, and are currently made for use with the pastis. Sure, they function fine for use with absinthe, but seem a little cheesy (to me).

As far as pouring water without drips, use something with a spout specically designed for pouring (creamer, small teapot, etc). Your arm will get tired, but no drips.

By Artemis on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

"So, I was wondering what people use to pour the water into the glass."

A plastic drinking water bottle; the kind with the little retractable plastic nozzle.

"I was using a shot glass, but I end up getting all the water all over the table instead of in the glass!! So how can I prevent this?"

As per above.

"Does anyone use the fountains?"

Almost no one does, because almost no one has one. They are extremely rare. They're usually set up for pouring up to four glasses at a time, so unless you entertain a lot, it's hardly worth the expense (thousands of dollars, I'm sure).

By Rupert1029 on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Scooby....Absinthe Posters are available on Ebay. Tons of them, other Absinthe stuff too. Just search under "Absinthe".

By Scoobydoo on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I just have all the questions! I love this forum! :)...So, on to the questions.

I was trying to find a couple absinthe posters online and the best website I came across was www.barewalls.com. They had a few nice posters. Are there any better places to get a poster? Please let me know.

Also, on Ebay I saw this really cool "fountain" for dripping the water over the sugar cube into the absinthe. Expensive but really neat. So, I was wondering what people use to pour the water into the glass. I was using a shot glass, but I end up getting all the water all over the table instead of in the glass!! So how can I prevent this? Does anyone use the fountains? If so, what is the average price of one? Let me know where you bought it too (especially if it was online).

I had a couple other questions but I have forgotten them...must be the early effects of absinthe! J/k!

Well, I can't wait to meet some of you in the Bay area.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation