UK absinthe meet - May 20th

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: UK absinthe meet - May 20th
By Tabreaux on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Ok, I will be staying in the Clive Britannia Hotel in Hampstead. If anyone wants to buzz me, you can call or leave a message for me there. Of course, this is assuming that I can get through customs with the clanking of a couple of bottles.....

By Timk on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

read down m8

By Ekmass on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 05:17 am: Edit

been away for a litttle while. Have we decided on a place?
EM

By Timk on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 12:12 am: Edit

Why Head, it's what I have always wanted

Tim

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Here's a discreet glass for you. Wear it under that tweed blazer you have.

discreet

By Timk on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 02:48 pm: Edit

yup its still on, i still think discrete use of glasses and spoons is a good idea though - people are far more tolerant and interseted than one would think

Tim

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

Just keeping this thread alive so that people know that the meeting is still on.

Apart from Ted, Timk, Ekmass, Binky (possibly), Germanandy (possibly) and myself, does anyone else want to attend. If so add your name to the list.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 06:33 am: Edit

Good point Marc,

I've rang them and asked if they were licensed they said they weren't but that we can bring our own alcohol to drink. They probably assume we'll bring beer or wine, I reckon absinthe would be OK just discreetly mixing it with water when we're there and not making a big thing about it.

I'm not all that sure about whether absinthe glasses, spoons and absinthe ritual performed at the table would go down well, (I just thought of it off the top of my head and posted the idea). I think maybe we should drop the glasses and spoons idea, it might be a bit culturally unacceptable in this place. Best to keep things low key.

Thank's for your advice Marc, much appreciated.

Hobgoblin

By Marc on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 01:41 am: Edit

hobgoblin,

I would suggest contacting the restaurant and asking them if they would mind if you drink alcohol there. Why wait till you show up?
It may create an uncomfortable situation.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 12:58 am: Edit

Ok then spoons and glasses (although not compulsory for those who don't own them or who do but would rather not use them on this ocassion). This place mainly serves the local Indian community who live in the vicinity (plus a few student and vegetarian types), most of whom don't drink alcohol, using absinthe spoons and glasses, we really will look like fish out of water.

When we get there I suggest we politely ask if we can do this, good manners always helps. Something else to remember, these places are cash only (but they are cheap).

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Ok, I'll make a note of it, and I will be there. Absinthe and karma-free food it will be.

By Timk on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Why the hell not - ill bring my damaged huge cut east glass, so i dont risk my other glass, but what the hell lets look weird with spoons ets. : - )
Sounds great Lord H - cant wait to see you all

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

OK for a small gathering I suggest we meet at the "Diwana Bhel Poori House" 121 Drummond Street, Euston, London NW1 (tel no 0207 387 5556). We meet at 1pm in the afternoon on Sunday 20th May.

The place is small, basic, cheap and unlicensed, so don't expect much. An Indian vegetarian buffet cafe place. Nothing fancy but it serves basic good South Indian Vegetarian food. If we have a gathering of less than 8 it should be OK, any more any there probably won't be room. We can bring our own booze and we can get a jug of water there to mix.

The question is, do we bring our own glasses and spoons etc? If we do we will look very strange all performing the ritual in such a venue. Are we bothered about the ritual? Do we care if we look strange? After-all absinthe is perfectly legal in the UK.

Anyway the area is not too bad for parking although you'll probably have to feed the parking meter. It's best to come by underground, the nearest station is Euston station (on the Northern line). Walk out of the doors of Euston Station (don't go onto the main road), Turn right just outside the doors and walk onto Cardington Street (or is it Melton Street?). Anyway when when you get onto this street, turn right and either the 1st or 2nd street on your left is Drummond Street. In total it is a very short walk (250 yards max). If in doubt consult an A-Z map of London.

Unless it's raining we should all meet outside the Diwana Bhel Poori at 1pm before going in (if it's raining we'll meet inside). This street is not busy on Sunday so this should be no problem.

Anyway when we get there most of us decide we don't like the place then we don't go in and go to another similar place on the same street, there are quite a few on Drummond Street and they are all basically the same (although a couple are licensed).

OK so unless anybody wants to change these arrangements then I suggest we go with this. Anyone who's interested in turning up then add your name to this thread in advance. So far we have Ted, Timk, Ekmass, Germanandy (possibly), Binky (possibly) and myself.

Looking forward to you all.

Hobgoblin

By Timk on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 03:10 am: Edit

Great, the more the merrier - LordH - i presume you are looking into a venue?

Thanks all

Tim

By Binky on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

Hmmm, May 20th? I might be able to make that...

By Timk on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

just as long as its near a tube station : - )

By Tabreaux on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

That sounds fine with me. Just set up a time and place to meet, and we'll get together.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Alright Ted, if you're an easy going type of guy, there are a number of cheap Indian Vegetarian buffet type unlicensed restaurants around Drummond St near Euston Station. I quite like them (despite being usually a carnivore), but I think many may close on Sunday's. I'll check it out and we'll go for one of these, at least it'll be easier to find each other in these places as they're quite small.

Hobgoblin

By Timk on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 02:02 am: Edit

Please, if you can make it, come alomg : - )

TIm

By Germanandy on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 03:23 pm: Edit

it is possible that i'm in london when you gather, but i'm not quite sure.
mind if i join the show?

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I've had a good time in some dodgy places, so anywhere, for better or worse, is fine with me.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

So it's Ekmass, Ted, Timk and myself. If the pub objects we could move to Regents Park or somewhere close by if the weather's fine and drink in the sunshine. But again if anyone has any other suggestions for meeting then that's fine by me, my suggestion was only an opening shot. Maybe an unlicensed bring your own booze restaurant would be best (although most of these will probably be dumps) ? Does anybody know of a decent one?

Closer to the date we can sort out a means of identifying who's who on the day as we don't know what each other looks like (apart from a picture posted of Ted).

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 07:50 am: Edit

Sure, I am up for anything. Just get it worked out between you, and I'll be there. My schedule is very flexible, so make it easy on yourselves.

By Ekmass on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 05:50 am: Edit

Ekmass from France here. I think I will come on up as long as it is during the day. Figure I can come Sat night before do some shopping etc.

By Timk on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 05:46 am: Edit

lol
ok then looks like its just you and me, Lord H - Ted, are you still up for it despite the pitiful turnout of 2 forumites : - )

TimK

By Melinelly on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 12:21 am: Edit

if you see a petite white girl with long curly red hair and freckles walking up proclaiming to be Melinelly, i have succeeded in psychicly projecting myself across the ocean and have taken over my sister-in-law's body to partake in a glass of the green with you...

...a long shot, sure, but i can dream can't i?

By Timk on Wednesday, May 02, 2001 - 12:15 am: Edit

Ok, last call - who wants to come : - )

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Ok then, it's up to you guys. I don't know much about what we can and cannot do in London, so I am just a colonial along for the ride.

By Timk on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Ted, most pubs I have encountered probably wouldnt mind as long as you are outside, and buy some drinks from them, i dont know about London pubs though : - )

Tim

By Timk on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 03:10 pm: Edit

yea, why not - it doesent look like many of us, but it would be nice to see some more people, c'mon, anyone else interested, Ian? Anyone?

Tim

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

My only suggestion is that we meet somewhere where we can have a taste of something I intend to carry along.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, May 01, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Correction to last post : The Crown and Goose Pub is 100 Arlington Road, not Arlington Street. It's on the corner of Arlington Road And Delancy Street in Camden Town, (phone no 0207 485 8008).

Is May 20th still on or is it cancelled due to lack of interest? Small or large, the gathering size doesn't bother me, but then I've only got 15 miles or so to travel.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:50 pm: Edit

If it's daytime on Sunday 20th I'll be there.

As Ted is staying in North London perhaps somewhere like Camden Town might suit? although forget it if you're coming by car (nightmare traffic and parking). Perhaps meet at lunchtime?

As I've been living in outer suburbia for the past 10 years, I've lost touch with decent meeting spots in town.

Perhaps meet at 1pm on Sunday 20th at "The Crown and Goose" pub, 100 Arlington Street London NW1 (tel no 0171 485 8008)? All I know is that it's close to Camden Town tube station and is not too crowded (by Camden Town standards anyway). (A quieter alternative with reasonable amount of parking is "Jack Straw's Castle" at the top of Hampstead Heath).

If anybody has any other better suggestions then I'll happily go along with them.

Look forward to meeting Ted, Tim and whoever else.

Hobgoblin

By Timk on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

So far we have decided on sunday the 20th of may, can anyone suggest where and when we should meet up. Also, who is likely to attend?

Please reply

Tim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation