Question about sugar

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Question about sugar
By Petermarc on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 03:57 am: Edit

i found it yesterday at an antique show in paris...it is old, there is one in marie-claude's collection (but it is not listed, yet) i have never seen another...amusing, huh?

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 01:37 am: Edit

Come on Peter, spill the beans, where did you get this spoon from? Is it antique or modern?

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

wow, that spoon is the ace of spades, cross', hearts and diamonds!
wonderfull!!!

By Petermarc on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:49 am: Edit

card

By Petermarc on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

which came first? card

By Semaphore on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 01:07 am: Edit

WOW -- hearts, clovers, and diamonds--
where are the rainbows and pots o' gold?

"...they're magically delicious !"

What magical sugar

By Petermarc on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

uh, i got a half box of german sugarcubes for sale, cheap...extra crunchy...

By Germanandy on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

we still have anthrax in our sugarcubes, gives your coffee a nice taste and to the absinthe a beautyfull louche ;-)
btw, peter be carefull

By Tomjoad on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

Try these. The real reason for absinthe related problems.

www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/world/062598/world25_11636_noframes.html

By Wolfgang on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

na na na... You didn`t understood... The effect was not induced by the thujone but by the FRENCH sugar !!! ;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

I'll gladly pay extra bucks for German beer, Italian motorcycles or Scotch single malt...but French SUGAR???

A sucROSE is a sucROSE is a sucROSE...

By Germanandy on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

heiko, take a bigger glas ;-)

By Heiko on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Andy, I almost bought the "Glückszucker" (this is what they call it, you probably find it in every other german household...) recently, but then decided I take the smaller, normal ones.
Even those are too big in my opinion (at least for a glass of Segarra). I went back to my special method of using normal sugar, not cubes:

pour some water on the spoon, then add sugar (not cubes, normal sugar) - the water prevents it from instantly dripping into the glass, then you can go on as usual.

By Wolfgang on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 08:44 am: Edit

I first used small sugar cube from Lanctil (very standard here in Montreal, not fancy at all). Then I found a fancy and expensive box of French Sugar cube '' la P?che''. Damn! It`s difficult to dissolve those cube even in a hot coffee ! So I went back to my good old Lanctil. I use Dr_Ordinaire`s way of pouring some water, waiting about 15 sec then pouring again.

In fact, I only use sugar with my Combier un-sugared Pastis d'Antan. When I drink absinthe, unfortunately, it`s already sugared (Spanish...).

Wolf.

By Petermarc on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

@@LOOK!!@@ as you can clearly see, you get almost twice as much sugar for a mere $99 more **NICE!**

By Germanandy on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 08:21 am: Edit

the cubes are a german product from suedzucker, you can buy them in every supermarket and they are very cheap, about 1$ a box.
peter- yep, the one on the right is one of your 100$ sugarcubes ;-)

andy

By Petermarc on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

they're made in germany, also...at least the box i have is marked in german (could be german-swiss)...i like putting the heart on it's butt-cheeks and pouring on the point, slows down the melting...the fifth example on the plate is daddy from france, if i'm not mistaken...

By Pataphysician on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

Germanandy:

Those are the same ones I use! They're available in the U.S., too. I think they are French or Swiss, I don't have them here to check. When I first went looking for sugar cubes for absinthe I was shocked that I couldn't find them. I went to several large grocery stores and they had NONE! I finally found those at an upscale supermarket, and they were pretty expensive (for sugar anyway). I think they are shaped that way for little old ladies who drink tea at bridge club.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Something that works really well is to wet all the sugar cubes and then wait 30 seconds or so before pouring the rest of the water. With that little wait they dissolve very fast.

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Well if you want something more authentic you can always get Saint Louis brand sugar tablets. They come from France and are traditional sized, and dissolve very fast.
I bought a case from Gourmet Resource, if you check the forums archives you can find the discussion about them.........I belive that Domino Hostess Tablets are available again as well.
Regards
Jay

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Nice! What is it called, and where do you get it?

I use C&H cubes, which happen to be the brand my convenience store down the block carries. They work fine, except I had a box a while back in which about half the cubes refused to dissolve without being crushed under my finger. I don't know why they'd do that.

By Germanandy on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 05:21 pm: Edit

this is what i use
sugarcubes

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Domino Dots seem to be popular. But any cubed sugar will do. I dunno where to get the fancy cubbed stuff.

By Kayman on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 05:03 pm: Edit

do you guys just use normal cubbed sugar or is there a fanicer better sugar to use? somthing ive always been curios about

:)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation