August Strindberg

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: August Strindberg
By Petermarc on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

i think ekmass can relate...

By Dengar on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 05:58 am: Edit

Sweden’s most important writer is probably (?) August Strindberg. As some of you probably know, he was an absinthe-drinker and has made many references to absinthe in his works. In a Swedish book about liquor I found a passage taken from Strindberg book “Blomstermålningar och djurstycken” from 1888, that I found quite funny. As I don’t believe that this book has been translated to English I’ll translate it for you. I really hope that there isn’t any translation of the book out there. If there is, my poor attempt will look silly… Anyway, here goes nothing:

“He, who has had the habit of drinking green absinthe, will bring a white one to his lips with disgust. This happened to me in Switzerland where I used ‘à six heures moins un absinthe’ rest my nerves with such a bringer of joy. One day I was served one such white drink, which I sent back as despicable, and with a request for a green one. The waiter answered that they didn’t have any green ones in the house. The host comes over and explains that the drink is the same, but he could colour it without affecting the taste, if I really insisted on having it green. Yes, he had to colour it, and it tasted excellent!”

As I don’t speak French I guess the second sentence looks a bit strange.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation