Serpis shits

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Serpis shits
By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 01:42 am: Edit

Lucky you.

(Although I think that sort of behaviour is illegal in Texas, so keep an eye out for the cops while you're at it)

By Verawench on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 09:25 pm: Edit

That's what my night's been like...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

alone in SOHO

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 10:25 am: Edit

Serpis does not make your ass bleed, I can vouch for that.

Drinking Serpis is not the same as wandering unaccompanied through a dark alleyway in Soho at 4am.

By Verawench on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Fratboy Scooby still pesters me regularly on AIM, popping up to ask:

"Did they ever release Jade????"

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 10:10 am: Edit

I finaly tasted Serpis.

It`s red and it louche orange.
It`s extremely woody. I don't like it at all.

With orange juice it`s drinkable.

I only had 2 oz so I can't comment on the effects.

By Msjekyll on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 09:44 pm: Edit

oops, sorry that was Hedge-Hyssop. But no, it was in humans. Maybe serpis uses the wrong species?

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 09:35 pm: Edit

In small animals?

By Msjekyll on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

A comment on Hyssop: (listed as an ingredient in some absithe recipes)
In large doses its irritant action is pronounced, inducing violent vomiting and purging, the stools often being bloody and attended with severe colic. Gastro-intestinal inflammation may follow, the rectum being most generally affected.

Hmmmmmm....

By Webfly on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

Serpis is one of my all-time faves. The word "refreshing" is what I would say also, as I have to Federico at FSC. I also thought at the time that Serpis was particularly well balanced. As a newcomer to the Forum, and one who doesn't have a lot of time for diversions, I hope I'm not redundant in telling you that, according to distillers' certificates (again according to FL), Serpis ranks #1 in thujone content; I don't have any nwe info on Segarra other than the jury was still out on thujone, but actually may be #1. Also,as the base alcohol of Serpis is derived from beet root, could some of this color be natural? I don't know enough of distillation to answer.

No impressions on other gastrointestinal issues!

webfly

By Tomjoad on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Scooby doo doo

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I love my kitty, but after a long day of pulling and loading office furniture for a fleet of trucks, coming home to dig through rock salt looking for buried treasure isn't quite the "Hi, Honey I'm home" I need.

Today I found something I don't usually find. Instead of broken pieces of Tootsie Roll®, I found small abstract figures looking strangely like frozen brown tire marks(with blue flavor crystals embedded in the surface).

Mr. Fluffaluffagus (false name to protect his identity) was laying lazily against the computer monitor gazing into the empty bottle of SERPIS.

That little shit drank my SERPIS.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 07:13 pm: Edit

"Serpis Shits" doesn't quite ring like God's Cunt but it'll do...

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Yes a burly tattooed truck driver in line before me said "UH UH! My Ketchup better be red! Green? That jus' ain't right!!!"

So red is not appropriate for Absinthe? And apparently neither are are thujone levels be they there or not... along with the secondary effects.

Petermarc, I'm not sure what to believe either. At least about what is and what isn't Absinthe.

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

I bought some in Wisconsin.

Klaussen brand, in the cold section by the lunchmeat.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

Head, it takes all sorts to make a world.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

I love pickled green tomatoes, but no one seems to sell them in Wisconsin.

K.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 08:12 am: Edit

damn, my belief system is crashing around me...

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

True, but that aint what they use in green ketchup. They use regular old damn tomatoes and an assload of food coloring.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 07:15 am: Edit

at least green tomatoes exist in nature...

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

Like green ketchup is.

By Semaphore on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 01:34 am: Edit

So if Serpis is made red, they could
just as well make it blue, or purple,
or glow-in-the-dark... I just can't
get over the color. It IS good stuff
(try it if you have not) but even if it
were an "odd" shade of green I think
they would do much better. It's hard
to take it seriously because it looks
so fucking weird. Not a good marketing
angle.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

CHONGER!!!

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:05 pm: Edit

HEAD!

Nice seeing you.

Here I am here I am here I am.

So glad you are so glad you are so glad you are.

BC

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

LH touching your own fresh poop is over rated.
Touching someone elses? ...now that's truely inspiring.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Hmmm... Never had a problem with that. However, I would like to express my concerns over the DEVA 70º it reminds me of the time I went to a local restaurant for the CHOW CHOW...

A guy at work had insisted that I try it. Their CHOW CHOW is the best. So I obliged. I ordered and they brought out this plate with about 4 strips of meat on skewers and this flaming blue stuff. I thought it was jelly or something. So I put out the flame and forked it onto the plate. I tried it along with the meat. It was horrible it made my throat burn and my eyes water. So I tried some more thinking it would get better... I then realized from having listened to many Tom Waits records that what I was experiencing was STERNO.
I left the building feeling very light headed.

So yeah, DEVA 70º reminds me of STERNO...
I'll add that I had Serpis prior to the Deva.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Someone told me about one of these pieces a while ago. I would really like to see these exhibits in person. There is also a Camille Claudel exhibit that's hitting Germany soon that I would sell an organ to see... actually, if it came down to selling an organ, I'd probably want to take a piece or two home. Sounds like Germany is the place for me to go, I wonder if I can afford it.

K.

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Hey, speaking of corpse art, have any of you German gents seen the Gunther Von Hagens exhibit "Korperwelten"? Anatomist, you should dig this:

http://www.shul.org/corpse.htm

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Scooby,

Your preoccupation with examining your faeces could be a sign of hidden artistic tendencies. Perhaps you are actually British artist Damien Hirst?

I saw an interview with Damien Hirst (winner of 1995 Turner Prize) who recommended that everyone should (as he does) do something like pick up their own shit in their hands while it's still hot, squeeze it through your fingers, kneading it like dough and the giving it a good sniff. Apparantly it get's the artistic juices going and gets you in touch with your inner self (or something like that).

Damien Hirst (winner of 1995 Turner Prize) is of course famous for creating a work of art called "Mother and Child". It consisted of a dead cow and a dead calf cut in half from nose to tail, and preserved in formaldehyde was displayed the halves side by side in such a way that you could walk 'through' the cows. It was displayed in one of London's famous art galleries (I forget which one). His other masterpieces have included "Away from the Flock" (dead sheep in formaldehyde).

Some call it art, others use another word to describe it. If you like examining your shit (or someone elses) then don't check yourself in to a high security mental hospital, get yourself down to an art gallery.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 10:37 am: Edit

Scooby,

Serpis is my favourite absinthe. Never had black shits from it though. Maybe it was that dodgy doner kebab with extra chilli sauce you had before tucking into your Serpis. Were your shits of a healthy solid consistency or of the watery sort. This factor would be valuable for you to consider in determining the cause of your problem.

Hobgoblin
(Has anyone experienced glow-in-the-dark shits from drinking Mari Mayans? )

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

It's not the "Secondary Effect" it's the "Number Two Effect"

By Mr_Rabbit on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 06:17 am: Edit

Every other absinthe in Spain is green or yellow, some variation on that.

We spend time saying 'hey why is that SERPIS ABSINTHE red? And people are made more aware that there is an absinthe named Serpis.

Clear Pepsi, wearing all white to a NIN show, wearing fur to a PETA rally. It just attracts attention, and marketing guys know this is a good thing.

If Volkswagen had introduced another anonymous box of a car, I wouldn't know about it. Instead, they took the engine from the anonymous box and put it in a beetle body, and now everyone on the damn planet knows.

Then again, maybe there's just someone at Serpis who digs bug juice.

By Semaphore on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 12:45 am: Edit

Go drink some Pepto Bismol and you can have all the black shit you want...

but to ME, the REAL question is..

WHY IS SERPIS *RED*?

I mean--WHY? I like the stuff, but after sugar/water it looks like dilute tomato soup!! What is with this red shit? Inquiring minds (especially after 4 glasses) want to know...

Tyler

By Morriganlefey on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Scooby - you didn't happen to imbibe any Guinness on or about the eve in question, did you? It's notorious for said noir ninnies.

- M

By Scoobydoo on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Haha...thanks guys...i guess only me and my friend had this problem (once the day after drinking serpis)...not any other time..therefore, cancer is out of the pic...
i was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences...guess not....i will have to try the MM and NS to see if those change it to purple or something..

By Verawench on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Ever eaten at Luby's? The old people cafeteria place to be found across the US? Green poo poo every time. No matter WHAT you eat there.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

The red coloring in Serpis is cochineal. It is a beetle product monopolized by the Spanish. It does not turn the stool black, certainly not in the insignificant qty contained in a couple of drinks of Serpis.

However, Malhomme is right. A bleeding ulcer certainly does color the stool black. I'm sure there are alternative possibilities for this symptomology. Consuming activated carbon will also have same effect. Remember, kiddies, medicinal grades of AC only, and powdered, not granulated (ouch!).

Any change in stool color is one of the warning signs of rectal/colon cancer. The most common form of cancer in men. So there's another cheery thought for you.

By Anatomist1 on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Actually, if you examine your own feces, it is a symptom of deepseated and probably intractable mental disorders. Your only hope is to check yourself into a high security mental hospital and accept everything they tell you without question.

K.

By Scoobydoo on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Seriously I did search for previous discussions just b/c I had asked some things before and been referred to past sources! haha...
so I searched for "feces" "black shit" etc etc
and just came up with all these partial links that lead me on strange directions...
haha....so there zack...

By Zack on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

"I had looked for previous discussions on this but I found none..."

I don't believe it.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 01:08 pm: Edit

"Does everyone do their own style of reviews between different absinthes or is there some standard? "

Well, you are the first person to review the secondary effects on poop.

Kallisti- we need a new section on the buyers guide.

Ted- do you want stool samples? I'm sure we can get you some at very reasonable prices.

By Malhomme on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Sounds like a bleeding ulcer....

By Bob_Chong on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 01:00 pm: Edit

These are the much vaunted secondary effects of absinthe.

By Scoobydoo on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Okay,

I got a good conversation for everyone. I had the pleasure of trying Serpis a few nights ago and tasting it side by side of Deva 70. Serpis came off a lot lighter and the only word that could come to mind was refreshing. The Deva had a much stronger anise flavor whereas the Serpis tasted more like a mixed drink at a bar. Overall, very pleasant. I had a total of four drinks, and I was out for the night.

So...next day, wake up, go to the bathroom and I am greeted with a nice surprise. Black excretement! Pitch black. I thought the green fairy had played a prank on only me until I called my friend who had also been drinking with me and he said the green, or in this case, the Black Fairy had visited him too. I had looked for previous discussions on this but I found none so I figured it would be humorous to bring up. The Deva did not do that to me, so I am guessing it has something to do with the Red coloring in the serpis. Anyone else have this experience?

Does everyone do their own style of reviews between different absinthes or is there some standard? So far I have only tried two and I like them both but they are quite different in categories of taste.

Laaatttteeee

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation