OT: Shopping excursion

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: OT: Shopping excursion
By Mattb on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Excellent. That's great to hear. Thanks!

I have a primitive, but perfectly functional wine cellar in my basement, and they're down there already with my 97 Killerby Shiraz. It's a small collection, but I work on it as I can. The temperature is a pretty constant 60 F all year long.

I'm going to continue to badger the guy for the remaining two bottles, too. He doesn't even like wine all that much, so I don't know what he's got planned.

I guess I should get some more absinthe with "all the money I saved" (ha!).

Matt

By Petermarc on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

damn! that's alot of opus in one week!

By Melinelly on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 10:10 am: Edit

technically, it's six... but when we got our shipment in, each ordered case came in 12 count (two 6 bottle wooden crates tied together)... so i mean 12 per case below...

needless to say, it was a mistake on the distributer's behalf, and we got nearly twice what was relegated to us before they noticed =)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:51 am: Edit

isn't a case of opus only two or three bottles?

By Melinelly on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:32 am: Edit

wolf's prices are the same as here. we sold the opus '97 for $117 and only allowed two bottles per purchase... and we still went through 50 cases in a week.

that of course was the release price... as it becomes harder and harder to find, it will rise.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

A bottle of Macallan 18 years sell for 125 Can $ here in Montreal (about 80 US$).
Opus one 1997 cost about 180 Can$ (115 US$). Those prices includes tons of taxes of course...

I would suggest you to taste one bottle soon then wait maybe at least 5 years before tasting the other one
so , if you take notes, you will be able to compare the evolution of this wonderful wine. Of course that's
assuming you have a good wine cellar, if you don't, don't take any chance and taste both bottle this year.
(It's better to taste a good young tannic wine that to taste an old bottle of dead grape juice ).

Now did you get a good price ? Compared to this crazy market, you just made the deal of the century.
Compared to the fact that a fine bottle of wine cost no more than 10$ to produce, you just paid a correct
price... But that`s another story ;-)...

When you taste it, feel free to share your tasting notes with us !

Wolf.

By Aion on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Melinelly:
How much is a bottle of Opus One 97 in the states??
The price here in Austria is $210 one bottle!
A.

By Melinelly on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 04:41 pm: Edit

yep, you scored on all three... the wine was the better deal moneywise, but the macallan should give you more pleasurewise =)

the opus 96 was just released at the end of 2000, so you should be alright unless they kept them in the oven ;)

By Zack on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's a good deal. The Macallan 18 usually costs around $80.

By Mattb on Monday, May 07, 2001 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Not Absinthe related, but since we had that wine thread earlier, I thought this would be fair game.

I just returned from buying some stock from a restaurant that is changing it's format from high-scale to something lesser. They are giving us employees (of the parent company) wholesale prices on wine and spirits. I didn't have all that much extra cash, so I only bought three bottles, but I think it was money well spent.

I bought two bottles of 96 Opus One. They had four, but would only sell me two (I was hoping for all of them). The best part for me is the price. I paid $42 each for the Opus, and feel like I did pretty well (assuming it's not vinegar). I think I'll hold onto those for a little while (if I can restrain myself). We'll see how I do...

The third bottle was a Macallan 18 year old. It's now 20 years old, distilled in 1981. Seemed like a pretty good deal for $40, although I'm not really sure what that would currently sell for here in America. Anyone seen a recent price? Just curious, really. I like the stuff and I look forward to enjoying it.

So I know the wine was a steal, but what about the Scotch? I'd be interested to hear what any of you fanciers think.

Matt

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation