Music and Absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Music and Absinthe
By Pataphysician on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

And Wild Man Fischer gave us such hits as "Think Of Me When Your Clothes Are Off", "Monkeys Versus Donkeys" and "The Taster":

"C'mon, let's do the Taster when my love was so grayster
When the things of the past were just as good as the rest
Well I knew a girl, just one certain girl
Who taught me the Taster and it's good as the Twister"

And let's not forget those other two giants of DIY: Daniel Johnston and Hasil Adkins. Shows what you can do with a modicum of talent, a total disregard for conventional music making, and a lot of ambition.

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Ah The Shaggs!....

My pal’s name is FootFoot
He always likes to roam.
My pal’s name is FootFoot
I never find him home.
I go to his house
Knock at the door
People come out and say,
“FootFoot don’t live here no more."

A song about a double-amputee cat is a thing of beauty.

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Nope, I never dug Zappa.

But he has my eternal gratitude for plucking these two from obscurity and bringing them to the world's attention:

Wildman Fisher
The Shaggs

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

Anyone else concur with these selections?

Zappa walked on water, and then some.

By Mattb on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

I've been gone for a while, things seem to have been happening around here during that period. I feel compelled to add my thoughts to the music thread.

Weather drinking absinthe, scotch, wine, beer, altering my consciousness in some other fashion, or stone sober, I like a variety of soundscapes. Here's a few I've thought about while reading this exchange:

The Smiths - great nostalgia. I toss The Queen is Dead in every so often and it makes me want to roll up my jeans.

Stuff I've been listening to more these days is some of the more creative (IMO) new jazz or jazz-like music that doesn't fit any particular category very well, for instance:

Medeski, Martin & Wood - I can't get enough of these guys. I go to their concerts and record them whenever possible. Sort of a Cecil Taylor meets Hendrix kind of thing.

Critters Buggin' - Group let by Skerik, the mad scientist of the sax. Drums by Matt Chamberlain who tours with Tori Amos and plays on both of Fiona Apple's albums. Maybe like a cross between funky 70's Miles and Primus.

Ponga - another Skerik project, teamed up with Wayne Horvitz playing the techno wizard Amon Tobin's music with a live, organic twist.

Squarepusher - Electronica with an edgy, sometimes almost scary element. Fascinating, like an accident.

Marc Ribot - He's got a couple of new albums of Cuban music (mostly comprised of Arsenio Rodreguez tunes) with a little Brooklyn atonality thrown in for contrast. His older stuff is also very interesting.

Bar Kokhba - A John Zorn project with a bit less squawking than usual. Ribot adds his purposefully awkward (to the point of being smooth, but not in the "smooth jazz" sense) sounds as well.

Frank Zappa - Such a variety of sounds, I can find a Zappa album to suit almost any occasion (except maybe hanging out with my mother). I particularly like Waka Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Joe's Garage, and The Best Band You Never Heard Live.

Other very listenable artists I'm partial to are:

Ben Folds Five
Fiona Apple
John Spencer Blues Explosion
Jimi Hendrix
John Coltrain
Freddie Hubbard
Miles Davis
Thelonius Monk
Cecil Taylor
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
John Scofield
Vernon Reid
Screaming Headless Torsos
Charlie Parker
Dizzy Gillespie
Phish (but not so much the phans)
Black Sabbath (old stuff with Ozzy)
Digable Planets
Project Logic
Herbie Hancock
A Tribe Called Quest
Arrested Development

..just to name a few off the top of my head.
Anyone else concur with these selections?

By Frater_Carfax on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Paul Schutze, yes I am familiar with him, I have one of his CD's somewhere. I haven't pulled it out for a very long time so I cannot sure which one it is.

I think he did an album called New Maps of Hell which was pretty dark experimental ambient with some interesting brass instrumentation (from memory.

I must explore QNTAL- I first came across them on a Hyperion label Heavenly Voices compilation- I will have to investigate further.

By Midas on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 04:01 am: Edit

Must say I've never heard of him, Jonathan may have though...

By Aion on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 02:13 am: Edit

F.C. and Midas:
Ever heard of an Australian musician called
Paul Schütze. Have one Jazz/Breakbeat CD called "Site Anubis", not bad, but heard he made
some dark ambient style recordings in the past that were brilliant, but couldn´t find any information about that.

By Aion on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 02:00 am: Edit

Frater Carfax:
As for SPK I love the "Zamia Lehmanni" and "Gold and Poison" CD´s, I also own the "Information Overload Unit" and "Leichenschrei" CD´s but these are a bit too dark for me and the artwork of the booklets is quite disgusting (I heard that the life performances were quite repulsive as well).
Graeme Revell´s soundtrack (as far as I know) are not bad, I like "The Crow", "Strange Days", "The Craft" and "Red Planet" and I think I´ll buy the score to "Dune". But none of these is as brilliant as the score to "Death Calm" which I think was never released on CD.
Btw if you don´t know/have the 2 CD´s from QNTAL
buy them asap. BOTH MUST HAVE!! You will love it.

By Pataphysician on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Sweet Hell's first live show was a huge success. They sold 40 CDs at $6 a piece. The crowd demanded an encore of "It's Not A Self-Hate Issue" which is destined to be the hit that will put them over the top. And the 13 year old guitarist tore them up with her composition "Ghost Arms". While bands like Sleater Kinney are turning jaded and soft, the 13-to-15 set is picking up the torch.

By Melinelly on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

see "So Long and thanks for all the fish..." thread for the Reuters story, and feel free to post thoughts there...

By Marc on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

He was only 49. Heart attack.

By Marc on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

Douglas Adams, the author of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, has died.

By Marc on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

for some very cool alt. country music check out Tandy.
They're from New York.

David Byrne's new cd is alot of fun.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 09:27 am: Edit

Oh. Well if you want unselfconscious, unartsy lyrics, may I suggest something by Mariah Carey? Kiddding. I don't know any of her lyrics. A good faction of the set might be swinging your way. Ever hear Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch, Neko Case, Caitlin Cary, Hazeldine, Willard Grant Conspiracy, etc... The lyrics are usually quite simple and specific. Of course, if you don't like that vintage country sound, your outta luck.

By Zack on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 03:50 am: Edit

I don't know about the thirteen and fifteen-year olds, but I do understand about the
"self conscience-faux-arty" lyrics. Download the MP3 from Marc's website if you are looking for lyrics absent from that kinda shit.

By Pataphysician on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Uhh, are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me because...

Anyway, I don't remember espousing any of that. Just the opposite. For instance, my anti-lyric stance is because nearly all the songs I hear today are too self-conscious and faux-arty. Overeducated entropic irony, if you will. You'll find nothing like that in Iggy Pop's work. Deliberate, stubborn, effusively sincere simpleton would best describe Iggy Pop. Am I wrong, Head Prosthesis?

Gotta get some sleep. Tomorrow I'm producing the CD release party and premier live gig of Sweet Hell, a three piece band comprised of a 13 year old and two 15 year-olds. I am not kidding.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:32 pm: Edit

No, but I seent him lick the dirty motif at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit... I think I told that story before

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:09 pm: Edit

head -- are you none other than lux interior of the cramps?

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:08 pm: Edit

anatomist and pataphysician. . .apollo and dionysos . . .yin and yang. . .shiva and shakti. . .or something like that -- i know it doesn't quite match up, since anatomist is arguing for the emotional over the intellectual, but Iggy strikes me as pretty damn dionysian, even at his most thoughtful -- as i said before, you're both right.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:01 pm: Edit

While I was away picking up more beer (I hope you all had a nice conversation about me behind my back) I punched the radio and what do you think I heared with my ear bone?

"jingle jingle jingle
jingle jingle jingle
Now I'm ready to close my eyes
And now I'm ready to close my mind
And now I'm ready to feel your hand
And lose my heart on the burning sands
And now I wanna be your dog
And now I wenna be your dog
Now I wanna be your dog
Well c'mon..."

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Your anti-lyric stance seems to emphasize my point. I don't think knowledge has to lead to a position of jaded cynicism where you are forced to view the attempts at self-expression by others as embarassing and lame attempts to approximate something else you know about, and are burned out on. I think this attitude is all too common, especially in the art world and cutting-edge pop culture, but not a necessary outgrowth of awareness or learning. It is a self-penalizing habit, a positive feedback loop that spirals down to infinitely cool, yet meaningless superficiality, with no one around left to notice the cool implosion. But, there's an alternative the pathetic death-throes of overeducated entropic irony... fuck it. Fuck the whole damn paradigm. Step off and watch it go down. You think all these elaborate fictions called history and judgement and taste are you, but they're not. Breathing is you. Watching and walking and listening and flexing is you. Quit your job as a paid egghead and get involved in something physical. Do whatever the fuck you want and don't give a rat's ass how cool or sophisticated or informed it is. Discover the joys of being a deliberate, stubborn, effusively sincere simpleton. It works for me. Sometimes just standing up straight and feeling the solidity of the arches of my feet makes me giddy.

Did I mention that I quit that Contemporary Art class? What they were doing there was horribly wrong -- a perversion of thought and the human spirit. The class made me physically ill. I walked out and took an F. F for Fuck this.

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Regarding "Naughty Little Doggy", I thought "Look Away" captured the sad irony of the rock 'n' roll fantasy as well as anything. . .except perhaps Wayne Kramer's "Junkie Romance". . .but Iggy's was more intimate and personal. . .

By Pataphysician on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Well, Anatomist, I don't think I can do any more to help you see the light and acknowledge Iggy Pop as the last genius of Rock. You certainly won't get it from the little clips on CDnow. I think you're mistaking his wry, self-assured delivery for "tired and listless". The delivery fits the lyrics, which you have to hear in full.

These days I listen to a lot of non-vocal music because I can hardly stand to listen to lyrics anymore. They're all too pretentious and embarassing. Iggy is one of the few lyricists I can enjoy, because he is so artless.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 03:00 pm: Edit

The rest of y'all are way off base associating SK with mohawks, panhandling dirtbags that break shit, etc... Their sonic style may be somewhere in the 'punk' neighborhood at times, but their politics, clothing styles, etc... have nothing to do with that stuff. Musically, I think what they're doing now is fairly unusual: I'd probably call it something like 'lo-fi power pop'. Their style has grown somewhat in isolation from standard music educational and marketing patterns. ...Corin's other band, CADALLACA even moreso.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Well, I listened to some more Iggy clips from Naughty Little Doggy, and I still just can't picture it. He sounds tired and listless... perfunctory. As far as intelligence and insightfulness go, I haven't heard enough, but it has been my experience that when people with post-bacchelor art and art history degrees use these words, I usually have no idea what they're talking about.

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I saw Iggy about 4 years ago, and he was magnificent. . .a natural wonder!

Reminds me of a story I read a couple of years ago, around the time that "Please Kill Me" came out (a must for anyone interested in punk btw and a lot of fun to read). Legs McNeil and Richard Hell were walking near Tompkins Square Park and some kid asked them for change. When Richard Hell said no, the kid said something about yuppie scum to which Legs replied "Asshole, this guy invented you."

By Pataphysician on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I fear that the whole "disaffected youth" thing has become a market niche. I've heard generation after generation of 20 year olds letting off steam. Then the steam is gone and they move on, replaced by this year's model. But a 50 year old Punk -- I think he's got some different insights that are more interesting and vital now. And the "dinosaur on 'ludes" couldn't be further from the truth. Anyone who's seen Iggy Pop live recently will tell you that he gives the lie to this "art of youth" myth. Or to put it another way, Iggy could wipe the floor with these kids.

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Having said all that, I'm kinda interested in seeing "Lipstick Traces" which is running now in New York. . .I think it originated in Austin. . .Anyway, it sounds like a very interesting theatrical take on punk, its connection to Dada, the Situationists, etc. And whoever thought someone would make a play out of an arcane bit of rock crit?

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Sad to say that began to be the case in like 1978. . .I can remember being in LA in 1981, and there were all these suburban kids on Sunset begging for spare change, and their parents would pick them up after the show. It was really weird. . .a sub-proletarian pose borrowed from England and one that never fit very well in the US. . .It's just amazing that the whole thing has persisted for so long. I hate to sound like an old fart prattling on about kids today, but it would be a lot more interesting if they could find an original and imaginative way to rebel.

By Heiko on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

here in Tübingen, there's a lot of punks - a real punk-scene. Those guys are in my opinion a bunch of assholes. They throw their beer bottles onto the street because it is "oh so punk". They sit around in the streets begging for money and call you a capitalistic asshole if you won't give them anything. Those guys live on the street for fun, they don't share the bad luck of the real homeless, why should anybody give them money? They think they are oh so special and have a right not to work and get money from people. The only thing they do is complaining about everything and destroying public property.
They claim to be anarchistic, but they are fascistic: you cannot be a punk if you don't wear certain boots, certain shirts and a leather jacket. Of course all that has to have holes in it, look shabby and must not be washed for years. Ridiculous, that's what it is...

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

It's really ironic how punk has become such a codified style. I was thinking about about that yesterday when noticing some local kids in their spiked hair, mohawks, braces, etc., as if the last 20 years hadn't happened. Somehow that's not what punk was ever supposed to be. . .the perniciuos legacy of Malcom McLaren and British fashion, I suspect. . .Back in the day at CBGB's and Max's, it was a downtown artist scene with a lot of misfit kids hanging out and pretty much everyone was accepted; the clothes really didn't matter. . .the music was pretty varied too. . .Back then, punk was more of an attitude and an aesthetic stance than a formula.

I'm on a much quieter, more inward trip these days, so I don't listen to rock 'n' roll much anymore, except on the car radio. The thought of the crowds and the noise at the memorials for Joey Ramone kept me away, despite the warm place I have in my heart for him and the music. . .I do think there's a place for the Sleater-Kinneys of the world...they're reaching a whole new generation, even if they are derivative. . Still, I find the persistence of punk style rather bizarre. . . Pataphysician and Anatomist,I guess I think you're both right.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:26 am: Edit

At least on recordings, SK traded in some of the screaming and ear bleeding for pop sophistication. I actually like their poppier new stuff better "Was it a Lie" and "Leave You Behind" off their new one are beautiful.

If you can't feel the passion, immediacy and honesty in something current because you know about something similar from before, and know that it's been done before, then I contend that your historical knowledge has become an obstacle to a vital life. I doggedly refuse to view art or music as a footrace or a self-conscious fashion scene. I celebrate the reanimation of the cliche as though it were new. Sleater Kinney squeezes all my glands to exquisite perfection. If I pay enough attention, Corin Tucker's scream never fails to weaken my knees and cause a swooning tickling sensation deep in my belly. I don't give a fuck whether the Slits did something like it before, or the Clits, or the Hammurabi were tired of it 3000 years ago. They kick ass!

By Rupert1029 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:20 am: Edit's great to see another Smiths fan on the forum....I like them all. To me, "The Queen is Dead", and "Meat Is Murder" are the best of The Smiths CD's. Although I despise the thought of cruelty to animals, the sounds of the cows mooing and the saws roaring in "Meat Is Murder" is a dark kind of a way.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

Don't worry about dating yourself the Smiths will always sound great. My 5 favourite Smiths tracks were Panic, Sheila Take a Bow, Hand In Glove, Ask, and Stretch Out & Wait, but then it's hard to choose from so many classics.

By Pataphysician on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

I think you're headed down a dead end if you're going to argue vitality or legitimacy on the basis of style. For the youngsters of today Punk is just a style, one of many acceptable Pop Music genres that is so codified for them that I don't think they can invest it with the kind of power that it once had.

I find Sleater Kinney quite enjoyable and but I sure don't hear "scalp-peeling fearlessness". I recently saw Ari Up formerly of The Slits, the group that 25 years ago invented what Sleater Kinney does now. Back when there was no precedent for it. But, if Ari Up was still playing like that it would have no impact. What she is up to now is much weirder, much more challenging than that.

By Melinelly on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:42 am: Edit

add my name to the list of neutering candidates =P

By Don_Walsh on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:38 am: Edit

Hey, marc, I happen to LIKE most anything Douglas Adams ever did, including HITCHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.

I'll take BBC sci fi over various noises from boom boxes anytime.

By Anatomist1 on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

Geez, I didn't know HITCHIKER'S was so despised. Looks like that puts you and Bob on the same team, Marc. What was that about shame?

I saw the BBC version on PBS when I was about 13. I thought it was pretty cool, er, rad at the time. Many of the ideas were clever enough to have stuck in my memory. I will continue to feel free to reference anything that strikes my fancy. How that makes me rank on your and Bob's hipness list amounts to exactly jack squat in my book.

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 08:15 am: Edit

"for some reason this really heightens the secondary effects and takes me on soul journeys."

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Nuff said.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:44 am: Edit

I'm clarifying the boat thing because I'm afraid of Bob and his scalpel... :-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:42 am: Edit

Disaster Area

I know the name because I crewed on a boat by that name in San Diego for years...

By Bob_Chong on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:37 am: Edit

pop culture banalities like "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy"

Any Hitchhiker's reference is akin to waving a red flag to signal to the world that you are indeed a candidate for neutering.

By Marc on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:00 am: Edit

you diss Iggy while referencing pop culture banalities like "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". For shame.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 11:49 pm: Edit

When I drink Absinthe I like to listen to the ice melt and crack... And the three fans blowing inside my PC case.

By Frater_Carfax on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Hi Aion

yes SPK is on my hit list too, they were originally Australian after all.

I was a co-DJ on a Dark Ambient radio show that was running in Sydney about 4 years, and they were always a favourite!

What do you think of Graeme Ravells solo-film score stuff ie Crow soundtrack?

Of course I cannot neglect mentioning two of my favourite absinthe drinking CD's, Shinjuku Thief's Witch Hammer and Witch Hunter albums.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:18 pm: Edit

It's like the loudest band ever from HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I forget the name, but the optimum listening conditions for a concert were to be in a three foot thick cement bunker on a nearby planet with pillows strapped to your head...

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I just listened to 5 clips from AMERICAN CEASAR on Cdnow, and it seems unlikely that I'll ever see it from your perspective. Although admittedly a brief encounter with fragments, there was nothing there that grabbed me. Sounds like a dinosaur on ludes to me. Hard/Punk Rock is mostly an art of youth and explosive passionate energy. If I want "mature, startling, and intelligent", I'll read a novel, or listen to someone who's mature and intelligent enough to stop pretending to be a 22 year old and try a more suitable musical form. I lost my vinyl copy of RAW POWER years ago, but I picked up the remastered CD and it still sounds pretty good, though I would lump it in with other classics like early BLACK SABBATH: good, but kind of a retro-nostalgia trip. Nothing like the fresh, scalp-peeling fearlessness of the aforementioned intrepid females.

Did I mention that AC-DC is in town this weekend?

By Pataphysician on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 08:35 pm: Edit

>Perhaps he was tainted by associating with and being produced by the grandest and most superficial poseur of all time, David Bowie.

You're forgetting that David Bowie produced Raw Power. Which sucked. Good songs, good performances, but the album sucks. "That fucking carrot-top ruined album!" - Iggy Pop, 1973. Iggy has put out his own version now, which rectifies it some, but the damage to the album's reputation is done. Say, do you have the 7 disc set of the complete Funhouse sessions that Rhino put out? Seek it out. Not a dull moment on it.

By Heiko on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 08:31 pm: Edit

the word "musician's ear plugs" says it all - why do concerts need to be so loud that everyone who wants to listen to the music has to wear ear plugs? Reminds me of "oh, the A/C is pretty cold, I better turn on the heating - well the heating is pretty strong, too. I better turn up the A/C a little more..." (quotation badly re-translated from Futurama).

"How much fun can you have when you're confined to an assigned seat or a square foot of floor space that you had to physically fight for? The musicians are too far away and disconnected from the audience, the drinks cost a fortune and usually come in paper cups, and the sound is usually bad and too loud"
- this is almost exactly what Glen Gould said of classical piano concerts, except from the paper cups (I don't know what exactly his words were, but something like this...).

In addition to that I must say I am very careful about being too euphoric about some music - much too often was I embarrassed only one or two years later about having been too euphoric about something mediocre. Only if you can still be euphoric about something after years it's worth the hype. A Perfect Circle probably isn't.

Found another one that I like (also a good Absinthe song), tv just reminded me of this one, I'm not euphoric about it, but I like it...
'Space Loard (Motherfucker)' by Monster Magnet.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 08:20 pm: Edit

>Anatomist, how much Iggy Pop have you listened to?

If Blah was the last album you heard you missed a lot. I defy anyone to listen to American Caesar and not admit it was the best Rock album of the last decade: startling, mature, intelligent, dumbass noise. Then he followed with Naughty Little Doggie which distilled the intelligent dumbass noise, and Avenue B which is his Blood On The Tracks. I think he's better now than he's ever been.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Hey! Get off my girl Kate "I wanna be on your album" Pierson.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I haven't listened to much Iggy Pop. Mostly RAW POWER and some Stooges stuff. BLAH BLAH BLAH was the essence of soulless poseur technofied trash, and I rued the day that I laid out my money for it. Perhaps he was tainted by associating with and being produced by the grandest and most superficial poseur of all time, David Bowie. Then there was that song with the B52's: CANDY CANDY CANDY... That was equally nauseating. If you listen to these recordings, and don't understand why they effect my system like syrup of epicac, then it may take some explaining to get it across. I like music that feels real. It doesn't require an intellectual formula - I know it when I feel it. If Iggy has since reformed, and made some decent music, I'm willing to look into it. For me, the gauntlet of good, earnest, angry, punk-style music has been picked up and taken to new heights by fearless women who traffic in sexual politics. They make stuff like vintage Iggy seem academic. Check out SLEATER-KINNEY's first LP "Call The Doctor" or "Dig Me Out". Or lay down ten bucks for PJ HARVEY's "4 Track Demos" and feel the power.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Saw NIN and APC live in New Orleans...hated every minute of it. Music like NIN should not be performed live, it is the very mechanical nature of the beast for which I like it. And APC I have grown to like them, but would I pay to see either of them live ever again.. HA! nope.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

When I drink Absinthe I turn the lights down and just listen to the music of the bees wings buzzing and droning inside my head. It's almost like a white wash of sound...

Oh damn. Those aren't bees. I let the tape run out on the vcr.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I saw Perfect Circle and much enjoy the crap out of it... There were all kinds of Ted Nugent references... Love that Maynard "He so Crazy!"

The bathrooms were empty... I was having a little I.B.S. and had to keep running to the "head" (tee hee) and it was amazing. Not a soul around.

By Mr_Rabbit on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Anatomist, how much Iggy Pop have you listened to? And what is it you don't like about him exactly? Some of his later stuff, I would have thought right up your alley...

By Joalco on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Anatomist, even if you didn't like APC on CD, you should check out a live show the next time they're around (which will be late '02 or '03). I've seen them six times, and I can honestly say that their live shows blow away anything on Mer de Noms. It's truly an experience.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Iggy Pop was ALWAYS the king of rock n roll?

Three words: BLAH BLAH BLAH

One more word: Blech! I stopped paying attention to him after that one.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Going to see Iggy Pop next week. Truely Mr. Pop is the King of Rock'n'Roll. He always was, but he just had to outlive all those other posers before the world understood. And he is still playing in bars for $20 a head.

By Anatomist1 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:54 pm: Edit

You should consider seeing an audiologist and getting fitted for custom musician's ear plugs (~$50US). I have a non-custom pair based on a similar design and they really help tone down live music without turning it into muddy thumping, like foam plugs. They cut a lot off the super-high end and a moderate amount off the whole spectrum. I'll probably switch to the custom ones as soon as I get around to it, as they are supposed to be more comfortable, and have interchangeable canisters to cut different amounts of sound.

I haven't seen Perfect Circle live, but I have no doubt I wouldn't enjoy it. Their CD was OK, but it's more of a background thing for me while doing something else. In general, I have been disappointed by ANY big concert that I have attended. How much fun can you have when you're confined to an assigned seat or a square foot of floor space that you had to physically fight for? The musicians are too far away and disconnected from the audience, the drinks cost a fortune and usually come in paper cups, and the sound is usually bad and too loud, unless you're right by the mixing board. Worst of all, it usually involves lots of waiting in lines. I'll take a small club show any day. I'd rather see a mediocre local band at a bar then my favorite one at a large venue.

By Thegreenimp on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Depending on my mood and which machine I feel like winding, I play a variety of vintage recordings ranging from early Edison wax cylinders, to flappers music and vintage jazz.
I usually prefer to play jazz on the Victor, or Edision Diamond Disc, since those machines have an automatic stop mechanism. I have a few original mint condition King Oliver 78's that have a nice New Orleans feel.......Btw, some Nouvelle Orleans would go really well with those records. 20's Jazz goes really well with Absinthe, and hearing it played from a vintage phonograph adds to the mood.

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Dating myself here....but Morrissey, especially in the days of "The Smiths" is awesome.

By Verawench on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:48 pm: Edit

"One thing not on my list... The Perfect Drug, NIN... what a joke"

silly little song by a silly little man.

but the video... wow. Every time I see it I want to push Trent aside so I can see those Edward Gorey/Gustav Klimt inspired sets. Mark Romanek did a fine job.

By Tlautrec on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I also saw that Ring cycle in SF about 10 years ago. Great stuff, especially the Gotterdammerung, but the Levine/Norman Ring was, as I recall, a Bayreuth production televised on PBS a couple of years before that.

Wolfgang & Hobgoblin -

I agree that there is no direct relation between music and absinthe, although for me, the latter (but not straight booze) will normally enhance the experience of the former. I also agree with you both that it's the same play list regardless of what I'm drinking, and with Wolfgang that Wagner requires special attention but that the pay-off for that attention is great.

By Brspiritus on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Can't keep quiet where music is involved...

I usually listen to:

Dead Can Dance - Seems to be the most popular
Enigma - Definately their first album
Any of the Chant CD's... yes the Benedictine monks, for some reason this really heightens the secondary effects and takes me on soul journeys.

One thing not on my list... The Perfect Drug, NIN... what a joke.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I abhor Wagner.

When I drnk absinthe I will put on some light lounge music from the 20's or some lighter big band. Sometimes I will play some nice Baroque stuff, I am a big fan of the music, but I abhor the art...

By Verawench on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

::slaps forehead:: I forgot a really obvious choice (for me): Death in June! If anyone sounds like a voice you'd hear in your head it's Douglas P. I especially like their recent stuff "Take Care and Control" and the genuinely disturbing folky-sounding stuff. "Heaven Street" is a good song as well...

By Malhomme on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I'm fond of moody, goth-y bits like Kastrierte Philosophen, Bauhaus, and The Damned. And yet I like Kid Loco and Talvin Singh too, especially when I'm drinking and coding.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 01:34 pm: Edit

I'm with Wolfgang on the absinthe/music link. I see no link at all. My taste and choice of music remains unchanged regardless of what booze I'm drinking (I usually listen to Britpop, Reggae, Van Morisson or Bob Dylan regardless of what I'm drinking) Absinthe is just green booze you don't need the 'Ride of the Valkyries' to enjoy it.

By Heiko on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:51 pm: Edit

I once tried to get the Wagner feeling as well - but as soon as I hear Belcanto singing, the music is ruined... Opera? Not for me please!

...and one more absinthesque album that came to my mind: "Gothic" by Paradise Lost.
Unfortunately, I haven't got it anymore - lost it somewhere back in the 90ies...

By Petermarc on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:33 pm: Edit

saw the ring cycle (all of it, yikes) in san francisco 1990, i believe... is that the one you are talking about?...pretty kick's funny to see the translation of the valkyries, who are a bunch of warrior chicks singing about how tough they and their horses are...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Ho, and about Wagner...

What is difficult about it, especially with the tetralogy, is that you need to carefully listen to it to fully appreciate. It`s impossible to do something else when listening to it.
Personally I only listen to Wagner when I have lot`s of time (the 4 operas of the tetralogy takes about 14 hours...).

The more you listen to it, to more you understand it and the more you appreciate (I`m talking about the thematic musical language here).

By Wolfgang on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

I don't see any direct relation between music and absinthe. I mean, it would be the same play list regardless of what I'm drinking.

Usually, I listen to gothic/industrial music or classical (mostly opera).

I may have some preference when drinking absinthe toward Bellini`s Norma with Maria Callas (conducted by Tullio Serafin for EMI, recorded in 1954).

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 11:47 am: Edit

I've never much cared for German opera, the sound and language is too harsh sounding, Italian is much more suited to opera IMO.

By Tlautrec on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

You can even be Jewish and be ecstatically transported by Wagner. The greatest recent Ring cycle I know about was conducted by James Levine, and starred Jessye Norman as Brunnhilde (or was it Sieglinde? Oh well, it was in the early 90's - I must be having a senior moment). No Teutonic blood in either of those two!

By Verawench on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

Re: Wagner

"You need to have some Norse blood to feel it."

I'm Polish. Does that count?

"Also it helps to have never seen APOCALYPSE NOW or else you will start giggling during the Ride of the Valkyries."

Well I still enjoy Vivaldi even though the Four Seasons is used in every shitty wine commercial.

"And bear in mind that even the German High Command (OKH) used to fall asleep during these operas. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

Yes, but there were those who believed Wagner's music to be sheer ecstasy.

I suppose it's the same as with absinthe... I want to know what was so amazing about it.

Oh, and I've been listening to Tristian and Isolde as well as the Parsifal Overture. But of course it's a deficient experience without the actual spectacle of Wagner's Gesamtkunstwerk. Thanks for the recommendations.

By Aion on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:14 am: Edit

yes, he released a CD called "Terra, Terra"
more than 1 year ago and I heard there will be another one to finish a trilogy.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:13 am: Edit

Dear Verawench

Re: Wagner

You need to have some Norse blood to feel it, if so then it vibrates in your very DNA. I am not sure whether the Human Genone Project has yet identified the Wagner Gene. If so they are keeping it under wraps, perhaps.

In my case it is the Cambro Norman (rather than Celtic) roots to my Irish side that reverberate.

Don't try the difficult stuff first, the Ring etc. Try 'Die Miestersinger', much more approachable. Then once you like the somewhat revisionist funeral rights in The 13th Warrior, you will be ready for the Niebelunge.

Also it helps to have never seen APOCALYPSE NOW or else you will start giggling during the Ride of the Valkyries.

And bear in mind that even the German High Command (OKH) used to fall asleep during these operas. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 07:02 am: Edit

I listen to a very funky Thai station FM 107, that has incompetent dj's, and plays US/UK oldies 50s-60s-70s daytime and European classical music at night. I find this mix to be remarkably well suited to my biological clock, I like to be energized daytime and then soothed and lulled in the evening. I find classical music very compatible with absinthe, and oldies good for background while I do emails all day long. When I am making absinthe I just relocate the radio (boom box) to the lab where it shares the power strip with the rest of the benchtop scale gear. One hour, one liter, that's how the JL absinthe flows on the pilot scale. Production is 10-20 times more. Up to 25 times more.

By Midas on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 05:51 am: Edit

Jonathan, I'm listening to it now, actually. I'll get it back to you next time I see you. And Aion, has Lens actally done a piece called 'Terra, Terra', or are you pulling my leg? Me slow somedays.

By Aion on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:23 am: Edit

If you are out there just now, I would be quite
curious what music you like.

By Aion on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 12:20 am: Edit

Never heard music from Lustmord, but I know he
is in some relationship to SPK (love the "ZAMIA
LEHMANNI" CD). What do you think of SPK?

By Frater_Carfax on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Actually, for dark ambient music with "seconday effects" you can't go much further than Lustmord.

He likes his use of subtle cycling low frequencies and manipluation of radio telecope noise- his "Where The Dark Stars Hang" work is the only CD I own which has induced nausea when turned up too loud (I'll have to get it back off you at some stage Midas...withdrawal symptoms)

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Marc, I don't know them live - only digitalized.
IMO even the best live concerts I have seen were not as good as listening to a recording - when listening to music at 180dba I can't hear it clearly anymore - after having seen a concert of a group that I didn't know before, I cannot say at all if I liked the music because I could only hear an extremely loud noisefloor. This is not the case if I watch recorded concerts on tv, so it is definitely the loudness' fault.
In addition to that I agree with the late Glen Gould that live concerts (even he meant classical concerts) are totally unnecessary relicts of times where there were no possibilities to record (I got to mention that Gould actually played "live" when recording. He recorded 20 takes of one piece, every single one of them perfect - but then he selected the best interpretation. So this wasn't about not being able to perform live, it was pure perfectionism).

btw I forgot one important source of acoustic absinthe feeling:

Apocalyptica (the crazy Finnish guys who cover Metallica on four celli)

By Aion on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:51 pm: Edit

As for the "Deine Lakeien -Acoustic" CD I found this on the site: of their record company

A unique documentation of the completely sold-out 1995 "Acoustic" tour. All 15 songs in excellent digital live quality. Deine Lakaien, this time a classic duo - just prepared piano and vocals (what you'd meanwhile call "unplugged"). An interesting detail is that the piano was prepared in the manner of John Cage: e.g. glasses, metals, papers etc. which are put onto the strings, create weird percussion-sounds, when touched, and thus enrich the piano sound. Alexander Veljanov's unique voice and Ernst Horn's furious piano are striking. A proof of the musical abilities of this outstanding band. A lavish booklet with many live pics comes with the CD. One of the few live albums ever that made it into the German Media Control charts.
"Listening to these 15 pieces, you are enthrilled by Alexander Veljanov's sonorous, vibrating voice, and realize what furious pianist Ernst Horn is." (Abendzeitung München)
"Fascinating. I haven't seen an audience concentrated like this at a pop concert for a long time." (Stuttgarter Zeitung)

The members of Qntal are running another project "ESTAMPIE" with authentic, acoustic only
medieval music:
I heard that the remaining members of Qntal want
to make a third release, I really hope this will
become reality.

Nicholas Lens is great, also heard his latest release "Terra, Terra"?

To everyone:
If there is on band on this planet that makes music with "secondary effects" it is AUTECHRE.
This is no romantic music, it is mathematically designed. Extremely reduced electronic soundscapes, very simple but deeply complex at the same time. It is the acoustic equivalent to pictures of fractals, I do not find a better way to describe it.
Most people around me hate it (to be honest, all), so I can not give a general recommendation.
Check out

By Marc on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Perfect Circle are perfectly awful live. Booooring.

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

...of course I have to share some as well (my temporary favorites). As you will clearly see, it is a wild mix of musical genres:

-A Perfect Circle - The Hollow (and the whole 'Mer de Noms' album)
-Aphex Twin - 'Didgeridoo' and 'Polynomial C'
-The Animals - 'House of the rising sun' (I recently rediscovered it because of it's relation to New Orleans, and it's a great track)
-J.S. Bach - Prel.&Fugue in c sharp minor from the WTK I (best if played on the cembalo)

Pataphysician, you say Dub, I say yeah - but don't forget Alpha&Omega, especially when looking for 'absinthe-music'!!

btw., not so much 'Absinthe music' - but I like to listen to it very much, with or without Absinthe:
-Sinsemilia - the album 'Resistances'
It's french Reggae/Ska, reeeaaally good!

Another note: Veljanov has released a new solo album, I saw the video recently.

By Verawench on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 10:26 am: Edit

I have both of Qntal's cd's... it's a shame they're going to split up! I actually learned about them through Deine Lakaien which, for me anyway, beats Depeche Mode any day as far as darkwave goes. I really liked their more
"experimental" stuff off of "Winter Fish Testosterone". "Kasmodiah" is great as well. I love Alexander's voice...

Wolfsheim.. droooooooool... ever hear "Elias"? Oh my god. I listened to "Touch" on a nighttine flight out of San Diego and had something close to a spiritual experience.

-Farinelli soundtrack (yum)
-Brandenburg Concertos (Bach)
-Barber's Adagio for Strings

I've also been listening to some Wagner
overtures, trying to figure out what
made 19th c. Symbolist and Decadents
so obsessed with him. I'm slowly catching on...

By Tomjoad on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:41 am: Edit

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

Can it be coincidence? Just at the same time I was reading your posts, Vera and Jonathan, I received a mail from a friend who gave me the link to the newly designed website of his musical project "Six Past Seven" - he describes it as "industrial music vs ambient soundscapes".
Now I feel obliged to promote his stuff ;-)
His site: (you will also find a link to the Raison D'être site on his page)
Some d/l's on:

I just recently thought I must introduce this guy to the green fairy some time - and now he invites me to a party on saturday. Guess what I take with me...

By Germanandy on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

wolfsheim is great, they make music since years but once in a liftime was their biggest hit.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

I still vote SHIVAREE "I Oughta Give You a Shot in the Head For Making Me Live in This Dump". Great spooky, sexy, dreamy moods with a sense of humor. For the comfortably numb moods, I might go with MAZZY STAR or THE MARY JANES.

By Midas on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:08 am: Edit

...and Aion, I love Deine Lakeien. I had no idea they did an acoustic album! Have you heard of a band called Wolfsheim? They've got a track called "Once In A Lifetime" that's absolutely beautiful. A guarenteed dancefloor filler at Sydney goth clubs.

By Midas on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

I remember this from the first time around, but I have to share...
*Mors Syphlitica
*Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares
*Trio Bulgarka
*'Flamma Flamma' by Nicholas Lens
*Anything by Satie
*Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love' and 'Sensual World'albums
*Tori Tori Tori Tori Tori
*The Omen soundtrack (when I'm feeling a wee bit typhonian)
*Dead Can Dance
*Raison D'Etre
*The Dandy Warhols
*Phillip Glass (paticularly Akhnaten)
*The Creatures
and it goes on and on and on...

By Aion on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 06:20 am: Edit

Can´t keep quiet when you talk about music.
My all-time faves:

Debussy - La Mer, Piano works
Rachmaninoff - Piano concerto #2
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade
Berlioz - Sinfonie Fantastique
Beethoven - Sinfonie #3, #6
Schubert - Piano trio Op.100 E-Flat
Delibes - Lakmé
Mozart - Zauberflöte
Cecilia Bartoli - Arie antiche

Autechre - Incunabula, Amber, LP5
Labradford - E Luxo So, Mi Media Naranja
Doctor L. - Temple on every Street
Laika - Good looking Blues
Portishead - Dummy, Portishead
Sandy Dillon - Electric Chair
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Dead Can Dance - DCD, Within the Realm of a dying Sun, Spleen and Ideal, Aion, Into the Labyrinth, Toward the within, Spiritchaser
Lisa Gerrard - Mirror Pool
This Mortal Coil - Blood
Stellamara - Star of the Sea
Julee Cruise - Floating into the Night
Strange Cargo - Hinterland
H.Budd & H.Zazou - Glyph
Hector Zazou - Sahara Blue
Bohren & Club of Gore - Sunset Mission
Qntal - Qntal II
Sin - Insinuation
Tosca - Suzuki
Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K & D Sessions
Jan Garbarek - Twelve moons

I forced myself to stop now, but I could continue for hours.

By Aion on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:31 pm: Edit

You really know QNTAL?
How did you find this band in USA? Great music!
But as DCD it looks like the band is going to
split up (Ernst Horn is leaving and it is not sure
if there will be any further record).
There in another band with Ernst Horn and singer
Alexander Veljanov called "Deine Lakeien", music is mostly electronic wave (a bit like Depeche Mode), but they released on life recording called "Acoustic" only with voice and piano. Magical and highly recommended!

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Dub. Heavy, heavy old school Dub. King Tubby. Lee Scratch Perry. Prince Jammy. Keith Hudson. Augustus Pablo. This will give you secondary effects even when you're not drinking absinthe.

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I posed this question (last year some time?) and got the heaviest response for any question I've ever posed here - almost everybody active on the forum at the time posted an extensive list of music. Maybe that thread is still in the archived posts?

I still maintain what I said back then: Morphine's "Head With Wings" is absinthe's theme song.

By Frater_Carfax on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 03:57 pm: Edit

My faves for an evening of absinthe and musical contemplation have been Raison D'etre, Rachels, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and Lycia

By Verawench on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

What's a good listen while drinking absinthe... to create that perfect mood? jazz? Mahler? some good techno? Britney Spears?

My personal faves have been: stuff from 4AD (Dead Can Dance); Qntal; Blade Runner soundtrack (recently re-discovered and still great); juicy industrial (Hocico and God Module come to mind), etc, etc...

Share yours.
Da Wench

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation