Another Roux Enterprise

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Another Roux Enterprise
By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 07:39 pm: Edit

A: Breasts, and the implied fondling thereof.

By Verawench on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 05:16 pm: Edit

"I guess this is what makes us all so familiar with each other (no matter what your political or musical taste is): We look more closely at things until we believe something, we are not as superficial as most others unfortunately are."

This reminds me of the discussion on food quality which went for a little while. Seems like quite a few people on this forum are "purists" when it comes to the Sensualist experience (food, drink, etc).

But I don't think this amounts to the same thing as pretention... we're not all sheep seeking that "perfect drug" based on what Ted tells us ( not that i'm not looking forward to Jade products, mind you :-P ). Quite the opposite... ***we seek to be as well informed as possible*** to make a choice of absinthe - or music, or philosophy, or brand of crackers - that's best suited to our taste.

That's why I enjoy reading through all the thujone/not thujone/how much thujone discussions. It's information, true or false. Having the drive to gather and interpret information is a sure mark of Life's Connoisseur.

Vera

By Petermarc on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

very funny/sad story, barnaby must have had tears in his eyes after you broke out the la bleue (but then again, with absente all over the place, he must have had tears in his eyes all night) of course, if green bohemian could get marie-claude to help create la fée maybe roux has recruited barnaby...evil...

By Tlautrec on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 04:54 pm: Edit

AMEN, Reverend Heiko !!! I couldn't have said it better.

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 04:46 pm: Edit

"Who the f*** is this Britney Spears babe anyway, and why does anyone care?"

This is a question I ask myself every time I look at the charts (which I don't do too often - I'm not masochistic...)

I guess most people don't really take the time to listen to music, they just want to hear some pleasant sounds that are not intended to really listen to it... Listening and feeling music is something that involves taking time - it's not just a matter of "I want to hear some pleasant harmonies". Of course, if you do take the time to listen to good music, the harmonies are much more pleasant than all of the crap which is marketed in the charts - only you need to get spiritually involved with it (something like that...).
I live after the motto "music is your only friend until the end" (very wise words by Jim Morrison), and I listen very closely until I let it be my friend...
I am happy to see all of the people on the forum seem to think alike (just look at the new thread about music - everyone who has posted yet has a faible for some kind of really good music, no matter what genre it is).

Back to Absinthe vs crap marketed as Absinthe:
Only those who take the time to look more closely at the whole matter, who know that there must be something better because they involved all of their senses into feeling what Absinthe could be like if it were perfect will not be deceived by marketing campaigns - hello to all of you on the forum! I guess this is what makes us all so familiar with each other (no matter what your political or musical taste is): We look more closely at things until we believe something, we are not as superficial as most others unfortunately are.

Whoo! I definitely should go to bed now - I'm getting this "everything's so amazing"-preaching tone right now... ;-)

By Tlautrec on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Who the f*** is this Britney Spears babe anyway, and why does anyone care? Maybe I'm just too old, and my attention has not been sufficiently focused on lowest-common-denominator mass media popular culture, but hey, I do like Renée Zellweger and Alanis Morrisette (both of whom strike me as being pretty darned talented).

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 03:41 pm: Edit

"What does Crillon think it's proving? That you can make a lot of money by deluding people who don't know any better into buying something inferior?"

Only two words: Britney Spears

Yes indeed, you can make a lot of money by deluding people who don't know any better into buying something inferior ;-)

By Terminus on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 03:04 pm: Edit

"I also think the Serpis label is the most attractive of the commercial labels I've seen..."

I don't like absinthes with bar codes (Deva, Mari Mayans, NS).

Serpis, Segarra and Sebor's do not have bar codes.

By Artemis on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Very nice story, Lautrec.

"What does Crillon think it's proving? That you can make a lot of money by deluding people who don't know any better into buying something inferior?"

Something new about this? So many things are sold that way.

"I saw many partly or hardly drunk glasses of this nasty business sitting on the empty glass trays."

Hah! Sort of like the party with the sawdust "Swedish meatballs". You find them in the potted plants, in the centerfold of a magazine, etc.

For what it's worth, I had my first taste of Absente last Saturday. I found nothing unpleasant about it, but on the other hand, I was offered the whole bottle for nothing and declined because there's nothing outstanding about it, either. I was urged to perceive a medicinal aftertaste, but I couldn't detect it. It's true that my tongue had been numbed by several glasses of Hausgemacht and several tastes of Ted's fine stuff prior to my host springing the Absente on me - maybe that had something to do with it.

I also think the Serpis label is the most attractive of the commercial labels I've seen, contrary to the knocking it's taken here, but I wouldn't even consider buying any more Serpis because I don't care for the flavor. To each his own, I guess, but telling people they're drinking absinthe when they're not is a crime.

By Tlautrec on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 01:16 pm: Edit

ABSENTE EXTRAVAGANZA AT SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM !!!

I was going to post this as a new thread, but since we're trashing Absente, I thought I'd add to the fun.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, last Tuesday evening, there was a bash at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in connection with the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition, with lectures about and music of the Belle Epoque, an open bar, French bistro dinner, and Barnaby Conrad in person, signing copies of his book, "Absinthe: History in a Bottle." I expected all of this.

What I did not expect was being handed a little green ticket at the door and informed that with the ticket, I could get a free "absinthe cocktail." Hmmm. I walked a few steps into the large room just behind the foyer of the museum where there was a cash bar, and behold! The room was full of people holding champagne glasses with something vaguely yellowish-green in it. To the right of the cash bar, there was a long line of people waiting to be given their glass of this concoction. I walked past the line to find out exactly what's being given out. There is a large Absente poster behind a second bar. The two young people behind this bar are pouring about a half-shot of Absente into each glass and filling it with champagne (to be exact, California sparkling wine, méthode champenoise) from one of the better local producers. I ask the bartender what this is. She informs me that the drink is made with "absinthe" and is called "death in the afternoon." So here we have hundreds of sophisticated Bay Areans being duped into believing that the third-rate pastis called Absente is the real green fairy and that they're being treated to the real Belle Epoque experience.

What a deception! What chutzpah! What does Crillon think it's proving? That you can make a lot of money by deluding people who don't know any better into buying something inferior? Unfortunately, they may be right, because from what I read, that ploy seems to be working in England for Swills. The only hopeful sign was that as I was walking downstairs and through the galleries toward the entrance to the T-L exhibition, I saw many partly or hardly drunk glasses of this nasty business sitting on the empty glass trays.

As for myself, I brought a small flask of la Bleue with me. Ahhh! Refreshing and delicious. The best part of the evening was the chat I had with Barnaby, who is a charming and erudite individual. I offered him a taste of my la Bleue. He sipped and smiled knowingly. There is hope.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

"For this product a maceration and agitation process is used. After it is macerated, it is pressed using a 50K pound press. It is then filtered and bottled."

Yuk.

By Terminus on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 11:32 am: Edit

I sent them an e-mail asking for the thujone content of the "herbal extract." They responded with, "All the information we can give you is on our website."

There is no information about thujone (mg per kg or parts per million) on the site.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roux is selling distilled water as wormwood extract.

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, May 09, 2001 - 08:19 am: Edit

They took the bad stuff out, but hey, you can buy a bottle of it from them, and no one could stop you from putting it back, wink wink nudge nudge.

This way, they get the people who want absinthe but are afraid of it's reputation as poison, AND the people who want absinthe, because they are allured by it's reputation as poison.

Coming next: Nicotine free cigarettes, with a bottle of tobacco extract!

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Talk about some bad, obsolete information on that page. Whew!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Like he's welcome here or something

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:13 pm: Edit

And I should mention, he actually links to this site. LOL.

(see bottom of http://www.wormwood-absente.com/thujone.htm)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 09:06 pm: Edit

http://www.wormwood-absente.com/contact.htm

He has no shame, really.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation