German absinthe "Ulex"

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: German absinthe "Ulex"
By Aion on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

The Track featuring Björk on Zazou's "Songs From The Cold Seas" is also great.

By Verawench on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Thanks for the praise and for the recommendation! I recognized a few names on the list (I'm a big fan of Dead Can Dance and Bel Canto are great as well) so I'll be looking for the CD.

By Midas on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

Zazou's "Songs From The Cold Seas" is sensational as well. There's a track on there by a band calles "Vartina" I think, anyway, it's the first track, and I swear it'll give you goose bumps.

By Aion on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 04:15 am: Edit

just visited your website, absolutely beautyful images.
And as I found some similarities between your music taste and mine here one recommendation for you:

A tribute to French poet Arthur Rimbaud, conceived and directed by Hector Zazou, and featuring John Cale, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Gérard Depardieu, David Sylvian, Bill Laswell, Khaled, Tim Simenon, Richard Bohringer, Brendan Perry & Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), as well as artists from the Crammed/Made To Measure roster: Dominique Dalcan, Anneli Drecker (Bel Canto), Lone Kent, Barbara Gogan, Samy Birnbach & Malka Spigel (Minimal Compact), Sussan Deihim, Steve Shehan, Vincent Kenis, and other vocalists and musicians from Morocco, Ethiopia, Spain, Japan, France, England, and the USA. The poems are sung and spoken in English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Arabic, Hebrew.

By Verawench on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 01:21 am: Edit

"Someone has said that the best proof that Keats' famous line in "Ode to a Grecian Urn": " is truth, truth beauty..." was wrong, were the Nazi festivals held at (somebody help me here) that were filmed by Loni Riefenstahl."

Interesting, but I think Keats meant that truth is to be found in beauty alone - meaning, relative of any moral message.

"That's one of the scenes in Lost Highway that I never had an explanation for: "

If you have an explanation for ANY scenes in that movie, please let me know :P

About Millenium: great show through the first reason, then it was sort of like boring X files.. but the opening music was exquisite! And I agree with Horuseye on Lance... a strange sexiness about him.

By Horuseye on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 08:27 am: Edit

Aion !

You´re an angel.... I totally missed the start of
3rd season "millenium" (Schluchz).

I´m a big Fan; Lance Henriksen is elegant, perfect, a little bit demonic..... great!

I thought I had read some months ago, millenium
would not be continued.....

Are the new episodes repeated after the first
broadcasting, one or two days later ?
I couldn´t find it in my TV-Magazine...

P.S. Thank you for information: Since I saw the
last 2nd-season-episode, I asked myself what this
was for apocalyptic piece of music.

By Germanandy on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 06:21 am: Edit

i agree!
sarah m. geller is more an eyecatcher than lance henriksen ;-)

By Aion on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 06:09 am: Edit

Hi Andy,
especially the last episode of 2nd season
with that 10 minutes long apocalyptic scene
(with Patti Smith´s Land..Horses as background music) was overwhelming.
The program directors at Pro7 should be struggled
for hiding this series somewhere around midnight and playing Buffy at primetime.

By Germanandy on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 05:39 am: Edit

hi stefan,

i should have mentioned that this poem is not from me, it's from homer!!! ... sorry.

andreas, yes i'm a big fan of millenium, i've got every episode (1. + 2. season) on tape.

jorge, i send you a mail, i was a little busy last time ;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 05:01 am: Edit

Andy: could you possibly translate what you said about Artemis? I have that same statue?, figurine? at home, mine's face is - for some reason I ignore - black.

Vera: long time ago I read this story of someone who showed a famous Jewish art critic a watercolor. After the critic had gushed about the "sensitivity" of the artist, it was revealed to him that it was by Adolf himself...

Someone has said that the best proof that Keats' famous line in "Ode to a Grecian Urn": " is truth, truth beauty..." was wrong, were the Nazi festivals held at (somebody help me here) that were filmed by Loni Riefenstahl.

By Aion on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 04:37 am: Edit

Andy, Heiko, Stefan:
Is anyone of you a fan of the Chris Carter Millennium Series? I am a big Fan! The 3rd season
started yesterday (at 23:45 pm, really nice time)

By Horuseye on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 04:29 am: Edit

Wow! What a great poem ! You must be an Incarna-
tion of Apollo himself .....

Or are these the famous "secondary effects"
of the long awaited ambrosia (jade Absinth) ?

If so, please send me a cask full... I want to
dive into .....

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:56 am: Edit

That's one of the scenes in Lost Highway that I never had an explanation for:

He opens the door to the motel room, Rammstein's "Rammstein" begins to play, inside the room you see something like red flames. Then he closes the door, the music stops and you never get to know why there were red flames in this room...

I heard from someone who doesn't like Rammstein that they sent so many letters and CD's to Lynch begging him to use their music until he gave up and used some of it in Lost Highway. Don't know if this is true tho.

By Marc on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:40 am: Edit

Riefenstahl's films were propaganda, ravishing and groundbreaking propaganda.

David Lynch used a Rammstein song in his film
THE LOST HIGHWAY. Its a perfect marriage of music and imagery.

By Heiko on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:24 am: Edit

you're right. You can be fascinated by the Nazi symbolism and aesthetics without being a nazi. That's why I'm interested in the background of the whole thing. I find it fascinating how the leading figures could get a whole people into their grip - they knew how to use the new media radio and cinema. They combined everything people seemed to lack into a straight ideology. I understand why so many people were suddenly 'converted' and started supporting them. At that time people in Germany weren't really used to free speech and democracy, so the fact that they chose a dictatorship wasn't so disturbing to them as it would (hopefully!) be today.

Many seem to have a problem understanding the whole thing and at the same time not being in favor of it. F.e. MTV Germany didn't play videos by Rammstein anymore when they released the one which was made from the Berlin olympics propaganda movie by Leni Riefenstahl - comment "we don't play nazi bands' videos". Those guys aren't nazis, they just celebrate the germanic/gothic aesthetics (or whatever you want to call it), but they had a hard time until some people believed it...

I don't find any fascination in Hitler's pastells tho. I haven't seen many, but what I've seen reminded me of something that often 'decorates' people's bedrooms.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 11:49 pm: Edit

artemis, please mail me!

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Artemis, dich, die lärmende Göttin mit goldener Spindel züchtige Jungfrau, Meistrin der Hirschjagd, fröhliche Schützin sing ich, leibliche Schwester Apollons, des golden Bewehrten, die in schattigen Bergen, auf windigen, zackigen Höhen ihren Bogen spannt, der ganz aus Gold ist, und Pfeile jauchzend vor Jagdlust schießt, die Seufzer erregen. Es beben Gipfel hoher Gebirge, es krachen düstere Wälder schrecklich beim Tosen der Jagden; es schaudert aber die Erde, schaudert das fischreiche Meer. Doch sie, in wehrhafter Stimmung schweift überall umher und tötet Völker von Tieren. Hat sie's genossen, die äugende, fröhliche Schützin des Wildes, hat sie sich herzlich ergötzt, entspannt den biegsamen Bogen, dann betritt sie den großen Palast des Phoibos Apollon, ihres geliebten Bruders in Delphis fetten Gefilden, rüstet Chariten und Musen zu schönen Tänzen. Dann hängen schnellende Bogen und Pfeile am Nagel. Sie schmückt ihren Körper, hüllt sich in Anmut, leitet und führt dann die Reigen. Die andern, lassen die Stimme ambrosisch erschallen und preisen die Leto, daß sie die Kinder gebar, die Frau mit den herrlichen Knöcheln, von den Unsterblichen weitaus die Besten in Werken und Ratschluß. Heil Euch, Kinder des Zeus und der Leto in reizendem Haarschmuck, ich aber werde euer und anderen Sanges gedenken.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Then there's the Cross and the fun stuff done in the name of the Church.

By Verawench on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Sorry to join into the discussion so late but I am on vacation and don't get to use the pute much.

I found all this talk about fascist symbolisms fascinating - I think it is possible for a person to appreciate the Nazi aesthetic without subscribing to any of their hideous ideologies. I'm not saying anyone on this forum has done so, but I for one

There was a recent outrage over an NY museum wishing to put on display some of Hitler's sketches and watercolours. Various Jewish groups thought the artworks would elicit strong emotions from neo-nazis and others. Of course no one would look at these second grade scenes of Viennese streets without remembering who had created them. But it IS possible.

During Mussollini's regime in Italy a national museum was built for two rare Roman artifacts: massive sailing ships believed to have belonged to Calligula and to have been used by the corrupt emperor in decadent water festivals. Nothing like those vessels had ever been found before. The museum, built in the pristine, red brick architecture so loved by the fascist, was burnt by the victors. Morality and international power struggle over aesthetics.

I hate the Nazis. I grew up in Poland where ruins still remain after their bombings and ashes from concentration camp chimneys cling to walls of old Krakow buildings. But I can still find power in Nazi war propaganda, grandeur in Mussollini's New Rome, and charm in Hitler's pastels.

just ranting.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Re: Gomez

OK, Artemis, let me try...

His first name was Jorge (it says so in an ancient Pernod manuscript). He has a mustache. He's an excentric. He dances the tango. He has no pets...unless they are stuffed (Smokey) or compliant (Thing). He's very romantic....

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 06:10 pm: Edit

But Gomez is indeed my uber hero. One can only aspire.

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

I have an extremely rudimentary knowledge of German, enough to puzzle out maybe 15% of the words in any given paragraph. But I know a cool word when I see one. As for the lavendel, I had a personal interest in it, that's all. All the credit goes to Andy for a nice site and some quality reviews.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Artemis...German AND French? (Kiss, kiss, kiss)

GOMEZ!!! the children...

Errr...later, Querida...

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 01:20 pm: Edit

By Artemis on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Andy, you're welcome. To quote your page:

"Hier möchte ich “hausgemachte” Absinthe vorstellen, die ich von einigen Leuten erhalten habe."

FWIW, the Goddess of the Hunt also grows "Lavendel" in her spare time.

By Germanandy on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

thank you artemis!
i couldn't remember that i've ever mentioned the word "hausgemacht", but my memory isn't very good ;-)

By Artemis on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I don't believe there is something evil inherent in a swastika - but people who actually use it (and not make a joke) usually have a political conviction that I don't like."

Heiko, I didn't have any specific person in mind, believe me. I did not think of you at all when I wrote that. When I said "Reich", all I meant was, "a prevailing way of doing things". When Horuseye suggested that I produce Swastika absinthe, I thought it was funny, but I also thought I better back away from that pretty quick, because so many people are senstive to that kind of thing. Overly sensitive, in my opinion. I meant those people in general, not you, and not any other specific person on this forum.

It's apparent that Germans have a sensitivity to these matters the rest of us may never understand, but in any case, I'm relieved that you and Horuseye have settled your differences.

TLautrec, my reading of history is the same as yours, and I thank you for your kind words and understanding.

By Tlautrec on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Heiko -
By the way, from what I understand about Jesus, he studied with the Essenes, who were strongly influenced by Buddhist and Hindu theology. He also supposedly visited England while a youth (on a trip with Joseph of Arimathea, who was a wealthy and successful merchant - import/export business of the times), where he could well have come into contact with some Druids.

By Tlautrec on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Sorry for any implication that pagan is sinister. To me, the term "pagan" means a follower of one of the polytheistic and/or earth-based religions that preceded Christianity in the Western world - nothing sinister in that. The Nazis, however, consciously ripped off the pagans, and they (the Nazis) were sinister. I was just trying to describe the Holy Roman Emire (First Reich) by saying what it was not - it was neither pagan nor sinister. Unfortunately, some of the most sinister people in America today call themselves "Christians."

By Heiko on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I was just reminded of a nice joke by my physics teacher back in school.
It was around 1995 when he said something like: "As you all know, about one thousand and fifty years ago the war was over [...]"
He had a good sense of humor and irony.

btw. you don't mean pagan is the same as sinister? It is not at all (well, the church wants to make us believe so). There are theories that Jesus had been taught by Irish druids before he spread his word. If this was true, the sense of love and forgiveness would have totally originated in paganism - Jesus then thought it would be good to bring that feeling into judaism. There might be something about it! But please, no war over religious beliefs intended, I'm not dogmatic or anything ;-)

By Heiko on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:22 pm: Edit

thanks! And you absolutely don't need to be sorry for anything, your words were not at all hard in comparison to my attack.

Very good idea to bury all that in Staroplzenecky...I like that!

I also use to be ironic/self-ironic usually - I should have known others are as well.
btw I knew that Artemis was making a joke, and I don't know why I took your words so seriously at first. I guess one reason was that I had had no sleep that night, kept myself awake with lot of caffeine. That usually raises the adrenaline and sets me in "animalistic self-protection mode"

So, to all the kids - do not do this at home! Go to bed when mommy tells you and get enough sleep. It is really important! ;-)

I don't believe there is something evil inherent in a swastika - but people who actually use it (and not make a joke) usually have a political conviction that I don't like.
I am not one of those who think the nazis were the evil from outer space. When I'm honest, I have to say I probably would have been fascinated by the Nazis as well had I been born in 1920. It's always easy to demonize after you know what has happened.
Another example - the german philosopher Ernst Jünger was once asked what had been his feelings after Germany had lost WW1. The p.c. answer would have been "all those people who had died in vein, oh my god!" - but he was honest and said "I felt sad that we had lost the war." From then on he was called a nazi by many people. I understand what he meant, and he wasn't a nazi (some of you probably know he did some nice experiments with Dr. Hofmann in the 50's...).
Just you know I am not a "one-eye-blind" fanatic - uhm well, usually not ;-)

By Tlautrec on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:10 pm: Edit

"Hausgemacht will be the Fourth Reich if God says the same."

Hooray for Hausgemacht, I say - damned good if made well, and lots cheaper even than SC's best.

As to the "Fourth Reich," as a person of Jewish background, I was interested in the reaction to Artemis' jocular remark. Hitler was obviously a monster, and his Third Reich was one of the greatest nightmares in human history. And of course, the Nazis abused many venerable ancient religious symbols and mystical concepts in their mad lust for power. One of these concepts that they horribly abused is that of "Reich." If my understanding of German is correct, Reich means "reign," as in "during the reign of King Henry the Eighth." By extension, it means dominion or empire, as in "God's dominion endureth forever." Their "Third Reich," which Hitler intended to last for 1,000 years, lasted for a brief 12. However, the original, "First Reich" began with the crowning of Charlemagne by the Pope on Christmas Day, 800, and, if my memory of history serves me well, it theoretically lasted until the end of the Napoleonic era in 1815. Thus, the First Reich was indeed a "Thousand Year Reich." It was also a consciously Christian entity, with a political vision modelled on the Roman Empire ( wasn't called the Holy Roman Empire for nuttin'...) and a mission - largely unfulfilled - to unify the German nation. Nothing either pagan or sinister about that. The Second Reich was nothing more threatening than Bismarck's Imperial Germany. (Well, maybe they were a little bit threatening; they were militaristic and certainly did a number on the poor Belgians, but the British and French weren't exactly innocents either - see Kubrick's great film, Paths of Glory, or the Australian film, Breaker Morant, to see the perfidy of the French and the British during World War I.) Thus, if we can ever find a way to recover spiritually from the evil wrought upon our collective consciousness by Hitler and the Nazis (without, of course, ever, ever forgetting that humankind is capable of such evil), perhaps we can reclaim the term, "Reich," from its recent sinister connotation, and rejoice in Artemis' suggestion of a period of a thousand years in which humanity can enjoy the beauty and inspiration to be found in good Hausgemacht.

By Artemis on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 03:26 pm: Edit

I also like your site, Andy, although reading German is really a struggle for me. I would never have known about it if Peter hadn't told me - you've been very polite about not promoting it here! I'm especially grateful to you for the word "Hausgemacht". What a nice word.

By Germanandy on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

i remember a couple of months ago the same happend to me ... a joke i didn't understand ... i overreact (like a HB Maennchen) ... and there was the mess!
sometimes germans are a bit sensitive!!!
now that everything is clear ... hi stefan!
@peter, heiko, tlautrec - thank you for your kind words about my site ;-)

By Horuseye on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 11:59 am: Edit

I thank you for your friendly replies. I am glad
and relieved that this ugly misunderstanding turns
to a good end.

You say you are sorry and I believe you and i
accept it.
I wish to excuse myself for my hard words against
you. I didn´t want to insult you or any other mem-
ber of the forum.

Let me say a few words about my sense of humour -
I "suffer from" a sometimes ironic or/and sarcas-
tic kind of humour , and sometimes I like to use
provocative words or themes. But I also have a
sense for self-ironiy and self-sarcasm !

I see that you are really well-informed about the
ideological basics of nazism. If you are more in-
terested about that (and do not know up till now)
i would recommend you a very interesting documen-
tary-movie: "Schwarze Sonne" from director Rüdiger
Sünner. It includes all you mentioned and perhaps
a little more. I would send the videotape to you,
if you want.
Just give me a short mail !

You gave me a second "Willkommen" and I would like
to thank you a second time for your Willkommens-
don´t say you had a big pile of "inner shit" - you said hard words, but you said more convincing
friendly and nice words after that. Probably my
pile is much bigger!

Now I make another one of my notorious proposals:
Let us throw this misunderstanding in a big cask
of STAROPLZENECKY -Absinthe, close it well, and
send it to the bottom of the pacific, or maybe the
BODENSEE. And forget it.

And don´t call yourself Psycho-Heiko (even if it
rhymes): Remember :Sind wir nicht alle ein biß-
chen Bluna, sometimes ?

Let´s have a good collaboration on this forum and
again kind greetings,

By Artemis on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

"as I read your posting about "Fourth Reich", I took it as a spontaeous joke."

That's exactly what it was. I had just finished a glass of "Hausgemachte" absinthe and was feeling kind of silly.

"I laughed about it and answered with my joke."

I know that. I was not uncomfortable with your joke, but I saw right away that other people might be, the sort of people who like to pretend there is something evil inherent in a swastika.

"If you feel offended, please let me know. that was not my intention."

I was not in the least offended. I would also buy absinthe with a swastika if it was good absinthe at a good price. The Navajo Indians used the swastika, as did many other people, as you pointed out, well before the Nazis. But along with my little joke was the sincere wish that people would be more self-reliant, and that includes making their favorite drink if they see fit to do so. So I was serious about a Reich where "home made" is the rule rather than the exception.

By Heiko on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

sorry again and thank you very much that you still speak with me.
I'm especially sorry for the advice to "drink yourself dead" - this is something I shouldn't wish to anybody - and especially not to nice people like you, now I know better!

All the other stuff I said, I try to explain:
I have nothing against homosexual people, everybody should do as he/she likes - only in my raging "fight fire with fire" tactic I tried to diss back as hard as I could.

The Horus Eye is of course not an origin nazi symbol (none of their symbols are original, everything stolen from other places, including the swastika).
The Nazis abused the Isis cult, going back to Helen Blavatsky's books (kind of aryan darwinism blended with mysticism). They also abused norse mysticism and paganism - the 'thule society' and the 'german order' were mystic orders which gave the whole spiritistic background for the nsdap. Hitler actually wanted to fight the ragnarok (and he thought he and the germans were the good offspring of the norse gods, whatever, something like that) - of course they also abused Wagner, Nietzsche and Darwin for their matters.

Tanis, (and of course Stefan, too) I found a site which is more than neo-nazi (I don't link to it for obvious reasons) and it is called "Ragnarok's all white website" and also found some stuff where neo-nazis claim they are the real wiccans and all the others are still caught in duality, blablabla...

All gods and mother earth beware I would never call anyone who really is into paganism a fascist. I know those people have a divine conception of their hearts and they struggle hard to keep racists out of their circles. The knowledge that all is one and the search for individual freedom of spirit and mind are not at all compatible with fascism.

"Please look at your own inner shit before" - it seems to be a big, big pile of shit...

Also excuses to Don, whom I wanted to tell not to get upset so quickly...

Well then, I repeat my "willkommen" for you, Stefan and can only hope you accept it.

--'Psycho-Heiko' ;-)

By Heiko on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:45 am: Edit

I'm very sorry, I overreacted - maybe I just missed some ;-)'s at the jokes. I did not know you at all, so how could I know your attitude...
But nevertheless, mea culpa!

It seemed perfectly clear to me (well, it wasn't the case) that someone with a nazi attitude made fun of me. As this is something I really really would not like at all, my reaction was very rude.

I'm so sorry for that bad insults. Because you are not the evil person I thought you were, those insults were not meant for you, none of them - maybe that helps a little?
I had built up some "virtual enemy" in my mind and directed all my anger into this post, I must have had some persecution-complex this morning...

By Horuseye on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:16 am: Edit

"Existencialistically and sexy".... that was a
spontaneous stream of consciousness.. nothing else
Why are you reacting like a raging bull ?
Here`s my confession: Nor am I gay neither I think
you are. One could think it was a shame to be gay
if he reads your reaction. Why do you think me to
diss you ? I do not know you personally, so why
should I ?

I made a - perhaps bad - joke to Artemis.
You don`t know me personally, in fact, you know
nothing about me. You can tell me it was a bad
joke, you can ask me , how I meant it.

Besides, you know very well, that the fascists and
nazis did not invent those words or symbols;
they are part of northern-european and germanic
pre-christian culture. I know that the nazis abused them.

And also, you know very well, that there are peo-
ple who are interested in investigating this cul-
Will you start to call them "new-age fascists" al-
so ?

I first saw the "Horuseye"-Symbol about 20 years
ago, and i liked it immediately; I find it aesthe-
tical and elegant.

I am no expert, but as far as I know, the Horuseye
is part of ancient egyptian culture, the symbol of
Horus, the God of the Sunrise and rebirth.

ASSHOLE. Please look at your own inner shit before

And why don`t you finish your studies and become
a great philosophical teacher of mankind, especial
for the specialfield "humanity" ? You advice me
to drink myself to death to make the world better

That´s great. Really.

I tell you something: If I drink myself to death,
than maybe it`s a better world.

If you become expert for "humanity" mankind has
won a really very very convincing teacher.

By Horuseye on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:03 am: Edit

as I read your posting about "Fourth Reich", I
took it as a spontaeous joke. I laughed about it
and answered with my joke.

If you feel offended, please let me know. that
was not my intention.

By Tanis on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

Ragnarok has absolutely nothing to do with Germany nor any Reich. Odin and Loki would cringe at the suggestion.

By Midas on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 04:14 am: Edit

Whoa, Heiko, chill! I think he was being genuine, not trying to besmear your studies or your heterosexuality. Mind you, none of my business...

By Heiko on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I don't know if my picture looks existentialistically - I know shit about art. The only thing I can say is if I like a picture or not.

And I don't even want to know why you find that picture sexy - I find it anything else but that.

Damn it, enough pc talk, let's get to the point because I somehow believe you are trying to diss me:
Are you gay, or do you want to say I am?
Either way just fuck off!

Actually, the fact that you obviously like swasticas and ragnarok and name yourself after the Eye of Horus makes me believe you are a full of shit new-age fascist.
If you are, remember: convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies (says who?Nietzsche!).
And damn it - do not try to diss me or I'll get real angry!

P.S.: I forgot: buy a bottle of NS Absinthe and drink yourself to death with it! Would be a heroic deed on humanity's way to a better world.

By Artemis on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 08:15 am: Edit

"What about that: You establish your own company!
... Artemis Fourth Reich Distillery Ltd."

That would be completely against the spirit of the proposed Reich. What I meant was, "roll your own" should be the wave of the future.

By Horuseye on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:34 am: Edit

HeyHo Heiko,

Thank you for your Willkommensgruß.
Philosophy and American Literature - sounds very
interesting !
I´m only a poor insurance-agent.

P.S.: Your picture looks existentialistically and
sexy !

By Horuseye on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

you inspired me - may I make a proposal !
What about that: You establish your own company!

"Artemis`Fourth Reich Distillery Ltd.
Finest Absinthe and more.

You could sell it as "Ragnarok-Absinthe" with
the label on the bottle in the shape of a beauti-
ful green swastika.
I would immediately buy it - if you make me a
good price!

By Tabreaux on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 08:52 pm: Edit

The absinthes presented in N.O. were the final versions.

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

"I don't include Ted's when I talk about absinthe in general since the final version is not out yet
and I don't want to say this is Ted's absinthe or this is Ted's absinthe when honestly none of
us know totally what they will end up like."

I'm not talking about the future; there is a reality that was experienced in New Orleans, it's history, and for most of us, it IS "Ted's absinthe". That's what I was talking about. Hell, next week we could all be drinking piss and glad to get it. As far as I'm concerned, what I drank in New Orleans WAS the final version (for me) until tomorrow proves differently. But I think I take your point. It may be pointless to discuss a product which is essentially unavailable. But if it turns about to be less than what was presented in NOLA, I would be quite disappointed ...

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Re: Badiane (French for Star Anise). No.

The flavor of Deva and the flavor of Mari Mayans 70% (to a much greater extent than Deva) is Badiane. Thick, licorice-like, tongue numbing. That is Star Anise. The flavor of Serpis to me is for sure different than that of any clear or green absinthes, but I don't know what that "Red" flavor (which I don't like, but I'm not crazy about Badiane either) - comes from. Maybe Kallisti can, tell, she's VERY good at that sort of thing.

By Tlautrec on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I just checked out Andy's greener site. Very nice! I especially like the section on bootlegs!

By Tlautrec on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Artemis: "I'm silly on ONE GLASS of Serpis. It tastes like hell, but the label is pretty and the effects cannot be denied."

I'll second that. Speaking of what it is in the taste of Serpis that Artemis and I find less than appealing, a while back, on an earlier string, someone (I think it might have been Ted) mentioned that Serpis contained a lot of "badiane." In doing some checking, I discovered that "badiane" appears to be just another name for star anise. Unsurprisingly, maybe what makes Serpis taste less than great to some of us is the excessive use of star anise. Is that it? Or is there something else that I'm missing here?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:27 am: Edit

Nah I just don't even include those. What is a shame is that I rarely get a chance to sample more than a glass or so of Ted's absinthe. But let me tell you, it is one of the FEW absinthes that maintains the notion and validity of the "Absinthe effect." in my humble opinion.

I don't include Ted's when I talk about absinthe in general since the final version is not out yet and I don't want to say this is Ted's absinthe or this is Ted's absinthe when honestly none of us know totally what they will end up like.

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

"I feel a more intense absinthe intoxication with it than any absinthe thus far including any la bleue."

EH??? Including Ted's???

By Chrysippvs on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

About the Oxygenee, I totally concur. I feel a more intense absinthe intoxication with it than any absinthe thus far including any la bleue.

Great stuff.

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

I'm silly on ONE GLASS of Serpis. It tastes like hell, but the label is pretty and the effects cannot be denied.

By Artemis on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:09 am: Edit

Hausgemacht will be the Fourth Reich if God says the same.

By Petermarc on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

uh, three glasses of oxygénée and i've lost my sense of direction...absinthe substitute my ass...

By Petermarc on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:47 am: Edit

sorry, the way, andy makes great absinthe, himself...both la bleue and verte...this guy is going to save germany...

By Heiko on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:45 am: Edit

One more thing:

Try it - try everything. This is the only method to find out what YOU like. Might be a little expensive, but it's absolutely the only way.
F.e. from what I read, I would not have thought I might like Herring, but I tried it, and liked it...

I just found out I forgot about Ulex, and of course I'm going to order some soon

By Petermarc on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:42 am: Edit

sorry andy...

By Heiko on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

btw it's

It really is a very good site! Best info in German so far. The only one who does not make you burn sugar and throw it into Hill's...

By Heiko on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 10:21 am: Edit

Hey Ho!

another German here - willkommen!

By Petermarc on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 05:22 am: Edit

yes, it is not bad... 55 and 70%...the german deva, i guess, maybe a bit more complex/bitter...for a review and excellent information about absinthe in german, see germanandy's new

By Horuseye on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 04:05 am: Edit

Dear Absinners,

has anyone already tasted the german absinthe
"Ulex" ?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation