New York and Louisiana

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: New York and Louisiana
By Absinthesque on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I get Pileateds in my woods here in the North from time to time. They are magnificent. I can only imagine what Ivory-Bills must have been like!

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 11:38 am: Edit

Well, I guess if I had a rep as a Civil War buff it's be toast now. I should've just said "in a damnYankee proson camp."

By Artemis on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

I can't claim to have seen an Ivory Bill, but I have seen many a Pileated Woodpecker, which is a glorious sight in its own right - it just lacks the white bill. Big woodpeckers need big trees, and unfortunately greed takes over and people start cutting down every tree in sight ....

By Absinthesque on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 08:25 am: Edit

The Ivory-Bill article was about recent and fairly credible sightings in the Pearl River area. . .It may survive in Cuba as well.

Peace,
M

By Artemis on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

Don, Andersonville was a Confederate prison, so all the starved there were probaby "Yankees". As to my ancestors, one of the CSA soldiers I mentioned (actually married into my family) was a Braux (same name as Ted's really, just spelled a little differently).

The CSA flag is not that big a deal to me, really, but condescension toward those who honor it really pisses me off.

By Artemis on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

"Hence my perhaps ill-chosen, "rightly so"."

That's the part that bothered me, alright.

"I'm not really interested in getting into barfights (never was) or fights in the forum for that matter."

That was perhaps ill-chosen on my part but it seemed like a quick way to illustrate the perils of condescenion.

"The article on the Ivory-Bill was the real gem."

I don't think it's in serious dispute that the woodpecker survived in Louisiana well past the time it was thought extinct everywhere, but if memory serves me correctly, it also survived in Cuba or Costa Rica. For a long time it didn't occur to anybody to look for it right across the water.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 03:35 am: Edit

Well, Nawlins fell to 'Spoons' Butler in '61 so I dunno how many Louisianans starved at Point Lookout or anything. Maybe some starved at Andersonville.

No disrespect intended to your ancestors of CSA, Artemis. "I hope they died fast, and I hope they died clean." As the fellow sang in 'Green Field of France'.

By Absinthesque on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 12:56 pm: Edit

The condescension was aimed at a bunch of people in Shreveport who run around in Confederate uniforms. . They seemed rather pathetic to me, but then I think of Trekkies the same way. Hence my perhaps ill-chosen, "rightly so".

I'm not really interested in getting into barfights (never was) or fights in the forum for that matter. I pointed out the Yankee condescension because I was bothered by it; although I found the article interesting.

The article on the Ivory-Bill was the real gem.

Mark

By Artemis on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

Don, I second everything you said about New Orleans - I just pulled Terrebonne out of the air; almost any parish would do. Most of my immediate ancestors are buried in a graveyard filled with slabs inscribed in French. Many of the older slabs cite units of the Confederate army to which the deceased belonged. On certain days of the year little flags of the Confederacy show up at those tombs (along with flags of the U.S.). Anybody who wants to condescend to that can kiss my ass.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

Look, I'm from Nawlins. Now bear in mind, that as a New Orleanian, I wouldn't give you $30 worth of gee-gaws foir all of New York, not just Manhattan Island, other than as a straight real estate deal. That being said, Nawlins, and Louisiana, do have some drawbacks. Terrebone parish notwithstanding.

A.J.Liebling once described the place as a 'Mediterranean littoral'. Head, don't reach for your thesaurus, a littoral is a seaport. What he was saying is that NOLA is a lot like Marseilles, or Napoli, or Palermo. Or Pireaus.

A pair of upstate Louisiana judges one described New Orleans as a city of "one way streets, two way men and three way women."

Still, NOLA has its charms, even if they are a little tawdry and tattered. I have chosen to live elsewhere, since '82, and doubt I would ever go back for good. The demographics are unfavorable.

But I know what it means, to miss New Orleans.

By Artemis on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 07:12 am: Edit

" ... filled with Yankee condescension, but probably rightly so"

Yankee condescension toward Louisiana is easily done from New York City, in the pages of a magazine probably a dozen people in Louisiana give a shit about. Try some Yankee condescension face to face in a bar in Terrebonne Parish for a different view on how "right" it feels.

By Absinthesque on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:19 pm: Edit

We're all a bunch of crazy romantics, chasing after a dream that disappeared more than three-quarters of a century ago. This week's New Yorker has a couple of articles that resonate for me when I'm in this mode, especially since they deal with Louisiana, Absinthe's home on this continent. . .from the tragic to the absurd. .. One article is on the search for the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, which may survive in the Louisiana swamps. The other is on the anachronistic Sons of Confederate Veterans -- filled with Yankee condescension, but probably rightly so. . .there's also a review of some books commemorating Dylan's sixtieth, which I'm in the middle of reading.

Not directly related to Absinthe, but worth a look.

M

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation